THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns to interview McCarthy

Neo

1 hour ago, TopDawg31 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Rogers also injured?

Had to check. Rodgers played in all 16 games in 2018. McCarthy apparently got fired after 11. Mike had 4 of their 6 wins. 

Correct me if am wrong here 🤔.. Browns 1st interview is with McCarthy like Tomorrow* 'Thursday' .. than i see reports only interviewing Robert Saleh in san fran this* weekend? (and yes Jimmy your flying to me)  Meanwhile Skins have a coach & signed a decent D cord & somehow we have 8 to 10 more interviews to have? This year is off to a banging start..Tia, Can ya get a crew together to run our defense?

2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

How many different threads is cal going to tell us this? I think the over/under should be 5.5. I think it is up to 3. 

He's in love... it'll pass.

30 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

Correct me if am wrong here 🤔.. Browns 1st interview is with McCarthy like Tomorrow* 'Thursday' .. than i see reports only interviewing Robert Saleh in san fran this* weekend? (and yes Jimmy your flying to me)  Meanwhile Skins have a coach & signed a decent D cord & somehow we have 8 to 10 more interviews to have? This year is off to a banging start..Tia, Can ya get a crew together to run our defense?

Yup... feels like deja vu all over again.

We searched high and low once before and spent so much time interviewing only to see good candidates get snapped up by other teams. IIRC we ended up with Chud.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Almost every player in the NFL is a millennial.  So I have zero idea what this comment is supposed to mean.  Hell, Tom Brady is damn near in that generational group and he's 40.

re: McCarthy - dude needs to learn how to run the ball.   Had some decent tailbacks in Green Bay and never finished higher than 16th in rushing.

I’ll spell it out for you because not all are bad some are just more entitled than others.  Would you agree we have a few divas ?  

the run game was window dressing with Rodgers and those 3/4 WRs they had -  fortunate to have to that by the way.  It would be an injustice not to go four wide and sling it all around with those tools 

4 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

I'd like to disagree with you but I can't. I realize we lost Myles Garrett and others, but watching teams like the Cardinals and Bengals drive up and down the field on us was unbearable. They quit. 

The Cardinal game was flat out disgusting.  The first Bengal game looked like our stupidity came in and then “do we really want this crept in”

maybe I’m harsh but the Steeler game Dec 1 was just as much a game where we didn’t seem to be willing to tackle and I spotted a guy like Mack Wilson wanting a hold call more than getting off a block and then jogging after a runner that just made it by him.  

again maybe harsh but Robert Smith pointed it out last week.  It’s not too far fetched for “professionals” to pack it in 

is it crazy to think these guys didn’t want this coaching garbage back next season even if means proving themselves for another regime 

15 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

maybe I’m harsh but the Steeler game Dec 1 was just as much a game where we didn’t seem to be willing to tackle and I spotted a guy like Mack Wilson wanting a hold call more than getting off a block and then jogging after a runner that just made it by him.  

That Steelers game was pretty much the end of the year...we just didn't know it. Even short-handed, our defense should have really been better. As bad as they were, that was another game that was really the fault of our OFFENSE. What did we score, 13? I mean, Jesus. Put some freaking points on the board! 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

We searched high and low once before and spent so much time interviewing only to see good candidates get snapped up by other teams. IIRC we ended up with Chud.

remember it.. just as spooky today as then..Panthers have interviewed MM twice already.. As i left Panthers stadium, the chatter was why browns with Dorsey & Highsmith out? am like Woofe-Woofe.. I also like Saleh.. Seems to have that Tomlin ticker inside..he might need a good OC & that list is short but doable..Am sure this thing ain't over till Dee gets to circle jerk her boy McDaniels.       Who ya think gets paid more? McDaniels vs McCarthy.. at browns pricing 

• Upvote 1

It just feels like as public as most of the candidates are you would know thru videos of pressers, convos with players, coaches and FOs, and other informal recon who your top guy(s) is/are.

Then just bring them in one at a time in order of preference and unless the guy shits himself in the interview you make him an offer then and there.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

That Steelers game was pretty much the end of the year...we just didn't know it

Man, I knew it the second it happened and anyone that was in the Tavern with me will probably verify that........... the stupidest, most undisciplined Browns team (including the coaches - kool shirt Freddie) I can remember. 

But I'm sure the next former new regime will instantly fix it......... just listen to their upcoming inaugural press conference. 

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

He's in love... it'll pass.

Yup... feels like deja vu all over again.

That's my fear & we would also be late in getting good coordinators. I am NOT a McDaniels' fan... I just don't feel he is to be trusted. I'm also not enamored with our 2019 OC & DC. I'm hoping the MM interview results in a hiring.

Mike

PS: How do I change my avatar? I want to bring one of my old ones back.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, D Bone said:

Man, I knew it the second it happened and anyone that was in the Tavern with me will probably verify that........... the stupidest, most undisciplined Browns team 

Word! ^^ You were on 🔥... and no tavern alcohol was putting that flame out>>> it's Day 1..HNY Bone..what could go wrong;)

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Canton Mike said:

That's my fear & we would also be late in getting good coordinators. I am NOT a McDaniels' fan... I just don't feel he is to be trusted. I'm also not enamored with our 2019 OC & DC. I'm hoping the MM interview results in a hiring.

Mike

PS: How do I change my avatar? I want to bring one of my old ones back.

also i just do not see mcdaniels controlling a locker room with McCarthy I feel he would be respected  and revered  he would kick some ass

Hey, talk about "dumb luck", I got my avatar changed to one that is far more appropriate! Just kept trying different things until one finally worked. Wonder if that approach might work for the Browns?

Mike

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Canton Mike said:

Hey, talk about "dumb luck", I got my avatar changed to one that is far more appropriate! Just kept trying different things until one finally worked. Wonder if that approach might work for the Browns?

Mike

No more "In Dorsey I Trust"? 😉

50 minutes ago, Canton Mike said:

Mike

29 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

No more "In Dorsey I Trust"? 😉

It never was...last avatar was "Whoopty Hell"....

Dorsey WHO?  😲

Mike

• Haha 1

I may be too simple of a man but a little research on Mike McCarthy shows that in 12 seasons in Green Bay he was 135-85-2. Included in that record is a 10-8 playoff record with one Super Bowl championship. 

The Browns have won 47 games since 1999. Should one count the Browns last 18 playoff games, they would have to go back to 1968. I don't care if it was the NFC North.

Why would any fan be against such a hire? What have we really to lose as fans? We tried the next genius on the coaching tree, a couple times. We tried the lightening in a bottle offensive-minded du jour a time or two. We tried the defensive guy. We had a disciplinarian, he was not retained. We tried the up and coming offensive mind diamond in the rough. Remember when we were all afraid someone might snatch Freddie up? We even let a rookie have his input in the process. 

How about a guy that just wins? 

Let's not over complicate and over analyze. That road, in my opinion, has not previously worked.

• Upvote 2

Kicked this ahead about 19 minutes.. aired about 2 weeks ago

your choice to maybe start around 4 minute'ish..         

15 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

I’ll spell it out for you because not all are bad some are just more entitled than others.  Would you agree we have a few divas ?  

the run game was window dressing with Rodgers and those 3/4 WRs they had -  fortunate to have to that by the way.  It would be an injustice not to go four wide and sling it all around with those tools 

I'm curious who those few are? For as terrible ODB is made to be, he really wasn't all that bad.  At times, he was giving more senatorial answers and level headed responses than our own QB.

Who else would you include?  Myles?... Pass.  Landry? Pass.  

Baker is on that fence.

And all that window dressing meant little when you have a spotty Oline, lack committment to the running game in the red zone and field one of the leagues worst defenses.   The Pack around then was Rodgers, his receivers, and not a whole hell of a lot else.   

4 hours ago, AP1 said:

I may be too simple of a man but a little research on Mike McCarthy shows that in 12 seasons in Green Bay he was 135-85-2. Included in that record is a 10-8 playoff record with one Super Bowl championship. 

The Browns have won 47 games since 1999. Should one count the Browns last 18 playoff games, they would have to go back to 1968. I don't care if it was the NFC North.

Why would any fan be against such a hire? What have we really to lose as fans? We tried the next genius on the coaching tree, a couple times. We tried the lightening in a bottle offensive-minded du jour a time or two. We tried the defensive guy. We had a disciplinarian, he was not retained. We tried the up and coming offensive mind diamond in the rough. Remember when we were all afraid someone might snatch Freddie up? We even let a rookie have his input in the process. 

How about a guy that just wins? 

Let's not over complicate and over analyze. That road, in my opinion, has not previously worked.

Spot on with “trying the next genius on the coaching tree.”

I would like the next guy to try to win with the core we have but with slight modifications to personnel.   When Dorsey was fired my first reaction was well here we again with 50% roster turnover.  If Depo is really in charge I have to think we keep the core and modify some of the fringe pieces.  

all I want in the next HC is a proven LEADER and I think with this team that leader needs to have a proven record.  And next this HC needs to really make three key hires OC and DC of course but the QB coach very important to get inside  Bakers mechanics and head.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

20 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Tia, Can ya get a crew together to run our defense?

I would be happy just working on personnel.    But I have some phone calls to make if you're insisting.

Going to be weird explaining my defensive motto to ownership and managment though...

2e67es6.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, ATOM said:

doesnt it seem odd to anyone that haslem would do his presser in the middle of McCarthy interview

I don’t know if that’s the case I thought the interview took place already.

It’s more of a concern That we are picking the coach and not having a GM direct the efforts gonna be interesting power struggle I guess or they will go with a young and up and comer that doesn’t care. 

36 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

It’s more of a concern That we are picking the coach and not having a GM direct the efforts gonna be interesting power struggle I guess or they will go with a young and up and comer that doesn’t care. 

per haslem pick the head coach first then the coach will have input on who the gm will be and both will report to haslem,sound familiar 

23 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Well, the Redskins had weeks to interview head coaches and Rivera has by far the best resume...  There's a couple guys we want to talk to- but can't because they have playoff games this week... What's worse is not doing due diligence. And I'm on record hiring the coach first and then the GM is a BAD idea, as well as both reporting directly to Jimmy. 

1 hour ago, SdBacker80 said:

The Structure issue