THE BROWNS BOARD

So, who would you pick as the next HC ?

tinythinker

4 hours ago, Flugel said:

Tia, I like some of the points you've made.  That said, what makes you so sure there were grown men to coach in Denver at the time?  He didn't get hired in Denver because they were playing like grown men.  He got hired because they had a bunch of guys that couldn't win a pillow fight in a sorority house.

You are correct that he wasn't ready for life outside of Brady and BB at the time. I was one of his biggest critics after that.  That said, this isn't just 2 weeks later. I LIKE how he's a very important part of NE getting a lot of productivity out of the situational guys they've relied on in recent years.  While we know how hands-on BB is - he's also very demanding of his Assistant Coaches especially his Coordinators.  I know many people think their WR Corps disappointed them and they're right to an extent.  However, it isn't all that different than it's ever been. Okay, so they looked to Danny Amendola to team up with Edelman instead of the guys they chose this year. IMO the change they never overcame was the loss of Gronk for all 16 games and the post season (as opposed to losing him for games to nagging injuries in year's past).  He was their X-factor.  In saying all this, how terrible is a 12-4 record?   Must be nice to be able to complain about 12-4 football eh?

You made a comment somewhere that you think Stefanski is a better leader of men but all evidence I'm seeing shows his employer assigned him a baby sitter as recently as Gary Kubiak for the 2019 season.

God love ya, bubs.  You have to be carpel tunner like a MF from all the typing.

Denver at the time was similar to the 2010 Niners. They had some talent, but they needed coaching and direction. Doesn't mean they lacked quality players or "grown men" in the locker room.   Gipper is right, Denver had some solid draftees sans TT.  But for an offensive minded HC and alleged QB guru to draft Tim Tebow and proceed to dismantle then ship off talent that had formed an explosive NFL offense at one point, all in the name of his ego, is downright criminal.

I think Stefanksi is better with his players on the field, in the meeting rooms, etc etc.   Every good coach has a near sort of 'father figure' about them.  Even BB.    I don't see that with McD and if the guy is as belligerent of an asshole as rumors say, then I doubt my assessment is wrong.   Plus Stef has never thrown his players under the bus to my knowledge...  which McD has done and will most likely do again.   I guess I just don't give anyone the chance to burn me again.     

Now after some thought, would I have preferred Saleh, and some members of the Shanny staff to help mold this offense?  Yes.   And despite the announcement this morning, that is probably the route I would have gone as team President/GM/owner/whatever.       I'm just hoping for the best.  But if Kubiak isn't coming with Stef, then I have early concerns.

• Upvote 1

Well, if it is Saleh, he's an excellent guy. Muslim...I don't care. He is just a terrific regular American guy.

His brother was nearly murdered in the Towers on 9/11. I don't care about his private politics, whatever they are.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/06/06/robert-saleh-49ers-defensive-coordinator-arab-american

if it is Stephanski... that might very well be a great hire. Helping bring the vikes to the playoffs... I'm good.

I believe it's the players they had that held them back.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/browns/2020/01/12/cleveland-browns-kevin-stefanski-hired-head-coach/4448319002/

Who was the other person who voted for Stefanski? ;) 

5 hours ago, PoeticG said:

Who was the other person who voted for Stefanski? ;) 

A Mr. Stefanski?

Out of 44 voters Keep Kitchens still got 10 votes. Democracy in action, "is this a great country or what?".   :lol:

On 1/11/2020 at 5:19 PM, Zombo said:

I want Stefanski, and I expect it to leak out after this game that it is him. Andrew Berry returns to be the GM.

Going Ivy League again!

Z

Great Zomboni Strikes Again!

TGZ 

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Zombo said:

TGZ 

So far it has only 'leaked out'.   Gumby is waiting for the white smoke.

Before they announce will they first talk to the GM's that he can play nicely with?

On 1/11/2020 at 11:19 PM, Zombo said:

I want Stefanski, and I expect it to leak out after this game that it is him. Andrew Berry returns to be the GM.

Going Ivy League again!

Z

4 hours ago, Zombo said:

TGZ 

This Browns hire was sponsored by Zombo. 

Any blame for any failure commited during Stefanski's tenure will fall onto him. 

• Upvote 2

On 1/11/2020 at 7:04 AM, gumby73 said:

It will be Kevin Stefanski....imo, this came down to the years & money that McDaniels may want to rebuild this team his way..And am not a college coach either? They knew Stefanski's number from last season's interview..in the end, McDaniel's folded up his tent 🏕️ & went home over dollars... I like Kevin, he's a smart guy that just took his whining receiving core to "I guess it ain't all about me"

Z ain't alone.. and blame is my middle name (ask any wife :))

9 hours ago, Orion said:

So far it has only 'leaked out'.   Gumby is waiting for the white smoke.

Went to visit a hospitalized friend...Missed all the new coaching fireworks. Never saw a football snap till GB game..  Soldier Gripper felt better starting his own thread.. Good! , but hoping for a 1 coaching mega thread, or lots won't be find-able!  I also, quit sitting on 🎅 lap asking for good things long ago.(but it may help, "one new 🏈owner please")  I can now go into my Draft Game-Tape lab room 🤓.. I'll try to throw up some white smoke 💭 if & when I can find a tall redzone target at WR3...plenty of sleepers this draft that should push to mid to late rounds....    

1 hour ago, Ibleedbrown said:

Seriously. Top 5 best living drummers ever right now. It’s tough.

Alex Van Halen is a gimme. But who else? 

I would offer Mullen of U2 for his body of work.

Living?

Billy Cobham... started following him in his Mahavishnu Orchestra days... power, control and complete limb independence. He's my top dog.

New kid that caught my ear a couple years ago is Josh Dun of Twenty One Pilots. Very inventive... modest kit... frantic... reminded me of Keith Moon. First time I can recall seeing a high hat hit on an upstroke.

Neil Peart would make a lot of lists... although not necessarily mine. I was never a big fan of Rush.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Living?

Billy Cobham... started following him in his Mahavishnu Orchestra days... power, control and complete limb independence. He's my top dog.

New kid that caught my ear a couple years ago is Josh Dun of Twenty One Pilots. Very inventive... modest kit... frantic... reminded me of Keith Moon. First time I can recall seeing a high hat hit on an upstroke.

Neil Peart would make a lot of lists... although not necessarily mine. I was never a big fan of Rush.

Really? I’m not a big Rush fan myself, but that man could roto tom it up

He was the last champion we had for the BIG drum kits. I admire that.

6 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

Agreed, definitely. But since the thread hasn’t been shut down, how about rock drummers?

Neil Peart. Man. Oh man.

who is the best who is left?

Sorry, never like Rush, never paid attention to Peart.  Not saying anything bad about him.  I just didn't know anything about him.  Hated Geddy Lee's voice.

6 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

Seriously. Top 5 best living drummers ever right now. It’s tough.

Alex Van Halen is a gimme. But who else? 

I would offer Mullen of U2 for his body of work.

Keith Moon....dead .   Ginger Baker....dead.   Bonham (Sr.) dead.   

Ringo, and Charlie Watts still at it.   Both Top 10-15 all time per Rolling Stone.   (The 3 I mention above were 1,2,3).

Stewart Copeland...Police? 

Alex Van Halen?  Rolling Stone only had him at #50 all time.  So, at least per their group of experts, not a gimme.  They included old timers like Gene Krupa, Buddy Rich etc.   Peart was up there high. 

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Sorry, never like Rush, never paid attention to Peart.  Not saying anything bad about him.  I just didn't know anything about him.  Hated Geddy Lee's voice.

My wife is right with you on Geddy Lee as a singer. And Neil Peart just died of cancer, so we'll have to start mining the list for the millennial guys.... 

But regarding Ringo and Charlie Watts- just lucky to play on the Beatles and Stones- as far as technical brilliance just not even close in my book. I'll take Mick Fleetwood over either of them...  

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, hoorta said:

My wife is right with you on Geddy Lee as a singer. And Neil Peart just died of cancer, so we'll have to start mining the list for the millennial guys.... 

But regarding Ringo and Charlie Watts- just lucky to play on the Beatles and Stones- as far as technical brilliance just not even close in my book. I'll take Mick Fleetwood over either of them...  

Actually,  people in the music industry...including drummers  that I know and trust disagree with you...especially about Ringo.  They say he was in fact a master technician.   And see my other post....Rolling Stones experts rated both Ringo and Watts over Fleetwood.  Though, perhaps all that is somewhat subjective. I do think Fleetwood is great. 

On 1/14/2020 at 12:38 PM, Ibleedbrown said:

I nominate Lindsey Buckingham for Head Coach. Even if we suck, we can shred at guitar.

fuck that Kim Thayil is a better player but yet again denied his place in the hall of fame

side note I last saw him play last year with Wayne Kramer for the MC50 tour another great rock n roll band snubbed by the hall of fame for the likes of deduech mode

10 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

MC50... lol... clever...

I'm old....

I believe that was what the Motor City 5 called their last tour, tour “MC 50”. MC 5 were certainly influential as all get out, but l’m not sure HOF worthy.

And Atom, we used to call them “Depeche Commode.”

Tommy Lee from the Crue perhaps? He certainly had some moments reinventing how drumming was done with his mechanical revolving drum kit.