THE BROWNS BOARD

The 2020 Free Agency Thread...

Tour2ma

2 hours ago, darren15 said:

Rams Traded WR Brandin Cooks and a 4th rounder to Houston for a 2nd

Bill O is going all in on a season that might not happen...

HOU is now down to a 3rd, 2- a 4ths, a 5th and 3-7ths...

EDIT: scratch one of the above 4ths... the one the Rams gave up is a 2022 pick.

For a pretty good WR Cooks sure has been traded a lot... looks like a cap casualty this time.

Brandin Cooks Traded To Houston For 2nd Round Pick

In another move to free up much-needed cap space, the Los Angeles Rams traded Brandin Cooks to the Texans. The Rams will receive the 57th overall pick in this years draft, and the Texans will also get a 2022 fourth-round pick.

In 2018, the Rams acquired Cooks from the New England Patriots in exchange for a first-round pick. They then signed him to a five-year, $81 million contract before the season. His impact was immediately felt and Cooks played a central role in LA’s road to the Super Bowl. In 2018, he set career bests in yards (1,204) and catches (80). Cooks saw a decline in production in 2019, he caught the fewest passes in his career (42) and fewest yards (583) since his rookie season.

The Rams have had to make some drastic moves when it comes to creating cap space. A harsh reality that has come to a head this off season. The Rams declined to make offers to Dante Fowler and Cory Littleton. They also cut Todd Gurley and Clay Matthews. Creating the space has left the depth chart looking like swiss cheese, but it is a brutal step in the right direction as they find themselves $541,000 over the cap, according to spotrac.com 

https://www.lafbnetwork.com/brandin-cooks-traded-to-houston-for-draft-pick/

1 hour ago, Unsympathetic said:

Rams payroll in 2020 and 2021 includes the following dead money:

Todd Gurley 20.15 M // Brandin Cooks 21.8M

Whoever is managing their cap.... shouldn't be.

Yes, it was a good job to dump Cooks -- but the problem was signing the deals with these players in the first place.

And see the Survey.....they are not paying Gurley the money they owe him. 

Here are the comings and goings of Browns in Free Agency:

Joe Schobert ILB 26 CLE JAC 5 $53,750,000 $10,750,000 $21,500,000 $21,500,000 $5,400,000

2 yr / $22,500,000

Jack Conklin RT 26 TEN CLE 3 $42,000,000 $14,000,000 $30,000,000 $30,000,000 $8,000,000 2 yr / $30,000,000
Austin Hooper TE 25 ATL CLE 4 $42,000,000 $10,500,000 $23,000,000 $18,500,000 $4,000,000 3 yr / $32,500,000
Eric Murray FS 26 CLE HOU 3 $18,000,000 $6,000,000 $10,750,000 $10,750,000 $4,390,625 2 yr / $12,640,625
Case Keenum QB 32 WAS CLE 3 $18,000,000 $6,000,000 $10,000,000 $8,000,000 $2,833,333 2 yr / $11,500,000
Christian Kirksey ILB 28 CLE GB 2 $13,000,000 $6,500,000 $4,000,000 $4,000,000 $5,000,000 1 yr / $6,125,000
Juston Burris S 27 CLE CAR 2 $8,000,000 $4,000,000 $2,100,000 $2,100,000 $2,958,429 1 yr / $4,008,429
Adrian Clayborn DE 32 ATL CLE 2 $5,750,000 $2,875,000 - - -  
Andrew Billings DT 24 CIN CLE 1 $3,500,000 $3,500,000 $3,500,000 $3,500,000 $3,500,000  
Kevin Johnson CB 28 BUF CLE 1 $3,500,000 $3,500,000 $1,000,000 $1,000,000 $3,500,000  
Karl Joseph SS 26 LVR CLE 1 $2,500,000 $2,500,000 $500,000 $500,000 $281,250  
B.J. Goodson ILB 27 GB CLE 1 $2,400,000 $2,400,000 $2,250,000 $2,250,000 $2,390,625  
Andrew Sendejo SS 32 MIN CLE 1 $2,250,000 $2,250,000 $2,000,000 $2,000,000 $2,234,375  
Demetrius Harris TE 29 CLE CHI 1 $1,650,000 $1,650,000 $500,000 $500,000 $1,650,000  
Damarious Randall FS 28 CLE LVR 1 $1,500,000 $1,500,000 $1,500,000 $1,500,000 $1,500,000  
Justin McCray G 28 CLE ATL 1 $1,075,000 $1,075,000 $350,000 $350,000 $1,075,000  
Travis Carrie CB 30 CLE IND 1 $1,047,500 $1,047,500 $400,000 $400,000 $887,500  
Eric Kush G 30 CLE LVR 1 $1,047,500 $1,047,500 $137,500 $137,500 $887,500  
Jojo Natson WR 26 LAR CLE 1 $1,000,000 $1,000,000 - - $956,250  
Ricky Seals-Jones TE 25 CLE KC 1 $925,000 $925,000 $150,000 $150,000 $925,000  
Evan Brown C 23 MIA CLE 1 $750,000 $750,000 - - $750,000  
Donovan Olumba CB 24 DAL CLE 1 $610,000 $610,000 - - $610,000  
Greg Robinson LT 27 CLE TBD -
Morgan Burnett SS 31 CLE TBD -
Drew Stanton QB 36 CLE TBD -
Adarius Taylor ILB 29 CLE TBD -
Rashard Higgins WR 25 CLE TBD -
Bryan Cox Jr. DE 26 CLE TBD

How will any of this affect the Browns Draft? 

Following up on above:

A. We lost  2 TEs:   Harris and Seal-Jones.   Got Hooper back.   Still have  Njoku,  Pharoah,  Carlson......I think we are in good shape here...no draft priority.

B.  ILB:   Lost  Schobert and  Kirksey...and probably Adarious Taylor.   Got back BJ Goodson.  Still have Takitaki, and maybe Mack Wilson some.  Still a major area of need IMO

C. Safeties:  Lost:  Murray/Burris/Randall/and Burnett.   Replaced them so far with Karl Joseph and Sandejo.  Still have Redwine.    Still an area of significant  need IMO

D. Offensive Guard:   Lost  McCray/Kush.   No FA pickups.  Still have starters Bito/Teller and Drew Forbes.  Definite need for depth if not one starter.

E.  Offensive Tackle:   Lost  Robinson.  Picked up Conklin.  Still have Hubbard.  Absolute area of need even with Conklin on board,  probably #1

F.  Quarterback:   No losses....well Drew Stanton if you want to count him.    Picked up Keenum.  Still have Baker/Gilbert.    NO need here. 

G.   Running back .  NO losses.   Still have   Chubb/Hunt (re-signed)/Hilliard/Johnson.  See NO need here.

H. Center.     NO losses.   Picked up Evan Brown for backup.  Still have Tretter.  See NO need here. 

I. Wide Receiver.  Higgins status up in air. May lose.   Picked up JoJo Natson, listed as WR, but to be ST/PR.  We still have   OBJ/Landry and a half dozen other backups.. of undetermined value.   Seems a minor area of need. 

J. Defensive Tackle.  NO losses.   Picked up Andrew Billings for backup.  Have Ogunjobi/Richardson as starters, and Eli Ankou backup plus a few others.   Maybe could use a guy, but a minor priority.

K. Defensive Ends.  Looks like we lose Brian Cox Jr.  Picked up Andrew Clayborn.   Still have Garrett, Olivier, Chad Thomas.   Clayborn over Cox should be a net gain, so it seems like we are good...but it may not hurt to get someone. 

L. OLBs. Did not lose anyone here,  but our OLBs now are listed as Willie Harvey and  Mack Wilson.  Backups are no names like Jermaine Grace/Trevon Young.   Definite area of need IMO.

M.  Special Teams.....no major losses.   We picked up a guy named Tavierre Thomas who is listed as top KR...and Natson is supposed to be  PR (though he is not listed there on depth chart). We have  Kicker/Punter/Holder/Long Snapper well in hand.   Punt and Kick returner?  There is Natson/Thomas...and there are guys on the depth chart  (Landry listed as our #1 PR).     We could certainly use someone...be it a guy already on the roster/draft/FA?

Following up on above:

A. We lost  2 TEs:   Harris and Seal-Jones.   Got Hooper back.   Still have  Njoku,  Pharoah,  Carlson......I think we are in good shape here...no draft priority.

We pick up  Harrison Bryant in the Draft

B.  ILB:   Lost  Schobert and  Kirksey...and probably Adarious Taylor.   Got back BJ Goodson.  Still have Takitaki, and maybe Mack Wilson some.  Still a major area of need IMO

We pick up  Jacob Phillips in the Draft

C. Safeties:  Lost:  Murray/Burris/Randall/and Burnett.   Replaced them so far with Karl Joseph and Sandejo.  Still have Redwine.    Still an area of significant  need IMO

We pick up Grant Delpit in the draft

D. Offensive Guard:   Lost  McCray/Kush.   No FA pickups.  Still have starters Bito/Teller and Drew Forbes.  Definite need for depth if not one starter.

We pick up  Nick Harris....maybe in draft

E.  Offensive Tackle:   Lost  Robinson.  Picked up Conklin.  Still have Hubbard.  Absolute area of need even with Conklin on board,  probably #1

We pick up Jedrick Wills in round one in draft.

F.  Quarterback:   No losses....well Drew Stanton if you want to count him.    Picked up Keenum.  Still have Baker/Gilbert.    NO need here. 

NO  pick

G.   Running back .  NO losses.   Still have   Chubb/Hunt (re-signed)/Hilliard/Johnson.  See NO need here.

NO pick

H. Center.     NO losses.   Picked up Evan Brown for backup.  Still have Tretter.  See NO need here. 

Nick Harris also plays here...backup

I. Wide Receiver.  Higgins status up in air. May lose.   Picked up JoJo Natson, listed as WR, but to be ST/PR.  We still have   OBJ/Landry and a half dozen other backups.. of undetermined value.   Seems a minor area of need. 

Picked up Donovan Peoples-Jones in draft.

J. Defensive Tackle.  NO losses.   Picked up Andrew Billings for backup.  Have Ogunjobi/Richardson as starters, and Eli Ankou backup plus a few others.   Maybe could use a guy, but a minor priority.

We pick up  Jordan Elliot 

K. Defensive Ends.  Looks like we lose Brian Cox Jr.  Picked up Andrew Clayborn.   Still have Garrett, Olivier, Chad Thomas.   Clayborn over Cox should be a net gain, so it seems like we are good...but it may not hurt to get someone. 

NOT addressed. 

L. OLBs. Did not lose anyone here,  but our OLBs now are listed as Willie Harvey and  Mack Wilson.  Backups are no names like Jermaine Grace/Trevon Young.   Definite area of need IMO.

NOT addressed

M.  Special Teams.....no major losses.   We picked up a guy named Tavierre Thomas who is listed as top KR...and Natson is supposed to be  PR (though he is not listed there on depth chart). We have  Kicker/Punter/Holder/Long Snapper well in hand.   Punt and Kick returner?  There is Natson/Thomas...and there are guys on the depth chart  (Landry listed as our #1 PR).     We could certainly use someone...be it a guy already on the roster/draft/FA?

Peoples-Jones  has  Punt return experience and skills. 

So.....after our Draft....(and UDFA pickup..but won't count all that)

Where do the Browns still need to supplement their roster/depth chart  with  Veteran Free Agents.   

They did NOT address the "Edge" Position:   DE/OLB.

There are some guys still out there, veteran FAs.   Should they go after someone for the Edge   (Clowney/Matthews)....or  a WR  (Higgins)

.....or any other position,  or anyone else you think we should pursue?

3 hours ago, The Gipper said:

So.....after our Draft....(and UDFA pickup..but won't count all that)

Where do the Browns still need to supplement their roster/depth chart  with  Veteran Free Agents.   

They did NOT address the "Edge" Position:   DE/OLB.

There are some guys still out there, veteran FAs.   Should they go after someone for the Edge   (Clowney/Matthews)....or  a WR  (Higgins)

.....or any other position,  or anyone else you think we should pursue?

Veteran LB.  
Clowney for Vernon.

Sign Hollywood.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

Sign Hollywood.

That guy is like a Cheerio floating in the milk....a Cheerio with no iron in it, so it's attracted to nothing.  (worst thing that could've happened to him was this receiver heavy draft)   Perhaps his agent will call the Browns and beg them to let him back on the team.

- We didn't address the Edge position....but we DID sign Clayborn.

I'm just hoping that the Center we drafted can play RG at least until it's time for Tretter to retire.

22 minutes ago, Orion said:

That guy is like a Cheerio floating in the milk....a Cheerio with no iron in it, so it's attracted to nothing.  (worst thing that could've happened to him was this receiver heavy draft)   Perhaps his agent will call the Browns and beg them to let him back on the team.

- We didn't address the Edge position....but we DID sign Clayborn.

I'm just hoping that the Center we drafted can play RG at least until it's time for Tretter to retire.

A.  Do you think Clayton is all we would need on the edge?   I do not, not really.  Not disparaging him...just saying....more is better.

B. We have Teller and Forbes also as RG.....do you think Nick Harris would be better than those two?

16 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

A.  Do you think Clayton is all we would need on the edge?   I do not, not really.  Not disparaging him...just saying....more is better.

B. We have Teller and Forbes also as RG.....do you think Nick Harris would be better than those two?

A) - I did not think Clayton is all the help we would get from the edge.  But so far, that's how it stands.

b) - I don't think that it should be too hard to beat out our guys...unless Forbes can prove me wrong.   And I don't think we drafted a Center just to play center (or, not play at all because Tretter is the guy who'll play center).  He would at least have to backup the Guard position.

The OLine takes a while to gel...and we might have 3 new pieces.  I hope they get enough time to work together before live games are being played.

Looks like Mr. Winston will be moving to NOLA...

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-jameis-winston-saints-finalizing-deal-081654906.html

Took a Miss St. QB late, but have to think they missed someone earlier...

... but it's not like Sean P. can't bring a QB along.

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Looks like Mr. Winston will be moving to NOLA...

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-jameis-winston-saints-finalizing-deal-081654906.html

Took a Miss St. QB late, but have to think they missed someone earlier...

... but it's not like Sean P. can't bring a QB along.

This smacks of "tell me all about our division rivals" to me

Here are the remaining Top 100 FAs from https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2020-nfl-free-agency-tracker-updates-on-where-the-top-100-players-have-signed/

• 10 Jadeveon Clowney (27) EDGE

• 44 Logan Ryan (29) CB

• 47 Jason Peters (38)  OT

• 56 Eli Apple (24) CB

• 87 Markus Golden (29) EDGE

• 97 Darqueze Dennard (28) CB

Of the above Logan Ryan is the "still available" name that surprises me the most. He had a really good 2020.

Looking thru the list at OTC and a few depth names popped out at me and their ages...

Lots more names at OTC... but not a lot of fits that I see.

OTC's FA tool is not generating any FA DTs, DEs, Edge or LBs. I know that's not the case.

In addition to the two Edge FAs in the Top 100 former PHI LB, Nigel Bradham is out there and would not be a bad addition.

Trent Williams was traded on draft day from Skins to 49ers for a 4th this year [the most recent draft] and 49'ers 3rd next year.  Note that he's now starting there due to Staley's injury retirement.

Seems fairly low compensation to me.. If we could have offered our lower 3rd round this year and next year's 4th and done the same, would you do that deal - maybe throw in Hubbard just to get his contract out the door?

nope, hurts the cap? his big contract? and we got our eventual premier LT. I'm good with not getting Williams.

As I see it - (Wills, Harrison and Phillips) > Williams.

It's a simple view - but it works for me.

13 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

Trent Williams was traded on draft day from Skins to 49ers for a 4th this year [the most recent draft] and 49'ers 3rd next year.  Note that he's now starting there due to Staley's injury retirement.

Seems fairly low compensation to me.. If we could have offered our lower 3rd round this year and next year's 4th and done the same, would you do that deal - maybe throw in Hubbard just to get his contract out the door?

Hubbard resigned for a very team friendly deal. I would not have done that deal. I like Williams and if the browns wanted him, they would have offered more. The 49ers were screwed because they found out Staley was retiring the 2nd day of the draft. They didn't have much choice. 

12 hours ago, Bigalow80 said:

The 49ers were screwed because they found out Staley was retiring the 2nd day of the draft.

Fortunate for us.  They may have tried to trade up in front of us and take our guy.

Mrs. Wife just mentioned that the Bengals have released Andy Dalton.

15 hours ago, Bigalow80 said:

The 49ers were screwed because they found out Staley was retiring the 2nd day of the draft. They didn't have much choice. 

Would make a great story... if only it were true.

Of course they knew. When the 49ers passed on Iowa tackle Tristan Wirfs with the 13th pick in the NFL Draft, it was not for lack of consideration. They knew Joe Staley was retiring. They also knew they were closing in on a deal for Washington Redskins left tackle Trent Williams, but had to be tactile in the way they carried out their business.

If Joe Staley retired before the draft, the Redskins could pump up the asking price, especially given the tempestuous relationship between Kyle Shanahan and Redskins owner Daniel Snyder. And Staley gave the 49ers the gift of information, while also waiting to share that information with the world.

https://www.knbr.com/2020/04/25/lynch-shanahan-reveal-when-they-learned-about-staley-retirement-how-it-played-into-draft-strategy/

=============================================================================================================================================

There's been some speculation on when the San Francisco 49ers were made aware of veteran tackle Joe Staley's decision to retire. Some had wondered if general manager John Lynch and company knew about the decision well before the draft, and whether or not Lynch knew about it when he told reporters he was confident Staley would play in his 14th NFL season.

Did the 49ers keep the information "close to the vest" and "strategically lie," as so many teams do leading to the draft?

Apparently, Staley didn't confirm his decision to Lynch and the 49ers until the week leading to the draft, which is what head coach Kyle Shanahan has indicated, as well.

"The reality on that deal, we didn't really have the conversation with Joe until the week of the draft," Lynch told Andrew Siciliano on NFL Now. "I think Joe was trying to give himself and his body time. Joe wanted to keep playing, but his body simply didn't allow for it.

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/136465-49ers-didnt-about-staleys-decision-retire-until-draft/

• Upvote 1

"Article"... actually a "slide show"... on what each team spent in FA this off-season.

We were #4... trailing Cinci, Detroit and #1, Miami. List is in order of 202 cap hit, but each teams' total guaranteed commitment is also included in summary.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/which-nfl-teams-spent-the-most-in-free-agency/ss-BB13BZeN?ocid=spartandhp&fullscreen=true#image=30

• 2 weeks later...

Pseudo thought-provoking article on landing spots for the remaining "name" FAs.

Although a couple times your thought may be, "does this guy know who the team has added this off-season?"

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/one-move-each-nfl-team-should-still-make-this-offseason/ss-BB13VOn7?ocid=spartandhp

27 minutes ago, Unsympathetic said:

churlish rapscallions

Beg pardon, old chap... but isn't that a trifle oxymoronic?