THE BROWNS BOARD

The 2020 Free Agency Thread...

Tour2ma

On 1/21/2020 at 2:32 PM, Tour2ma said:

Couple more OTs hitting the market that caught my eye...

Another high-end UFA to go with Castonzo... the Pack Titan's Jack Conklin. Still young... he's going to cost even more in total.

And there are a couple in the more affordable category...

• Brian Bulaga (GB)... can't see the Pack committing to both him and Conklin; played hurt much of 2019.
  • Cornelius Lucas (CHI)... pressed into service in 2019 and had a good year.
  • Hala Vaitai (PHI)... also pressed into service and had a very good 2019 season. <==== a real target.

with letting shobert walk and maybe vernon would free up more than enough money along with what we all ready  have pay conklin what he wants and then i would still draft a ot with the tenth pick

I know the trend is towards equal pay for both OTs, but I have issues paying a RT top dollar and that is what he is going to want.

Agree that our route to OT security is sign one and draft one, and I believe one we should be interested in will be there at #10.

Meanwhile from the lazy-ass sports "journalism" world... create a list of five hot UFAs... slap an enticingly authoritative title on the article and hit "publish"...

Cleveland Browns: 5 free agents the Browns should target

Let me spoil the suspense...

5. Hunter Henry... biggest TE name in FA

4. HaHa Clinton-Dix... a big Safety name

3. Justin Simmons... a hot, emerging Safety name

2. Jack Conklin... Likely the most expensive OT to sign... and...

1. Yannick Ngakoue... you should have seen this one coming...

I'm not even going to put up the link and reward this garbage.

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

I know the trend is towards equal pay for both OTs, but I have issues paying a RT top dollar and that is what he is going to want.

Agree that our route to OT security is sign one and draft one, and I believe one we should be interested in will be there at #10.

Meanwhile from the lazy-ass sports "journalism" world... create a list of five hot UFAs... slap an enticingly authoritative title on the article and hit "publish"...

Let me spoil the suspense...

5. Hunter Henry... biggest TE name in FA

3. Justin Simmons... a hot, emerging Safety name

2. Jack Conklin... Likely the most expensive OT to sign... and...

1. Yannick Ngakoue... you should have seen this one coming...

I'm not even going to put up the link and reward this garbage.

DogPound Daily?

• Haha 1

Eagles announced that they are not going to try to resign Jason Peters. He's 38, but still has a season or two in him.

Estimated price tag: 1 yrs — $9m avg/yr / $8.5m guaranteed, $9m total Via overthecap.com

Browns will explore LTs Trent Williams and Jason Peters now that Williams can seek a trade and Peters will be free

Williams, 31, has been given permission to seek a trade, ESPN’s Dianna Russini reported on Thursday, and the Eagles announced that Peters will hit the free agent market on March 18. Both players are represented by agent Vince Taylor.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2020/03/browns-will-explore-lts-trent-williams-and-jason-peters-now-that-williams-can-seek-a-trade-and-peters-will-be-free.html

bring in peters for one year not sure tho if he would work in a ZBS hopefully conklin and williams only if he does not want to break the bank(but man he does miss games) and of course there will be other teams after these same players

edit: williams only if we can get him for a third or fourth round pick

2 hours ago, ATOM said:

conklin and williams only if he does not want to break the bank(but man he does miss games) and of course there will be other teams after these same players

2 former GM's Pat Kirwin & Mark Dominick both believe Trent will be looking for a slight better deal than Taylor Lewan just got..Lewan is 28 & signed 5ys/80M w/50M upfront.. Both see Trent demanding 5 years at 85M 💰.. we don't pay Myles 5th year option till 2022. but also Nick Chubb needs a contract in 2022. Bake & Ward's 5th yr. option is in 2023... Most of the talking heads say it's the Browns,Jets & Rams that are in the mix & Trent has coaching contacts with Shawn McVay & Browns OL coach Bill Callahan..

On 3/3/2020 at 1:07 PM, The Gipper said:

Just exactly what is the league waiting for?

They're waiting for teams like us.  Teams hiring all new front office and coaching personnel.  Perhaps having to wait until the super bowl is over for a HC.  

On 3/3/2020 at 1:07 PM, The Gipper said:

Or is it just an "evaluation" period?  

Yes.  Because those teams like us need time to evaluate their 'own' players and weaknesses, the combine thingy, evaluate upcoming free agents.  There's a ton for teams like us to get done.  

-----  I would like to draft our LT please!  No overpaying some old guy for a season or two of 'over the hill' play...no thank you.   Let's get a fresh one.

8 hours ago, Orion said:

-----  I would like to draft our LT please!  No overpaying some old guy for a season or two of 'over the hill' play...no thank you.   Let's get a fresh one.

But we have tradition to uphold. Browns MUST appear foolish with the Big Retirement Payoff with at least one "going through the motions" FA. It's what we do.😁

For all those that want to draft five new Olineman each year- You can’t have two rookies at the tackle spots.

Our biggest offseason addition with the oline will be improved playcalling and Baker making Better reads and moving better inside the pocket (and not turning his back to pressure)

You overpay for a capable starter and take one early.  Then move your attention to this defense we need help on that side big time!!!

On 3/4/2020 at 2:51 PM, tiamat63 said:

DogPound Daily?

And now they've double downed with...

5 Blockbuster Free Agent signings Cleveland Browns must consider

5. Joe Thuney, Guard, New England Patriots

Projected contract per overthecap.com: 5 years-$13.5m avg/yr, $30.5m guaranteed, $67.5m total.

4. Chris Harris Jr., Cornerback, Denver Broncos

Projected contract per overthecap.com: 2 years- $13m avg/yr, $13m guaranteed, $26m total

3. Jack Conklin, Offensive Tackle, Tennessee Titans

Projected contract per overthecap.com: 5 years-$14m avg/yr, $34m guaranteed, $70m total

2. Cory Littleton, Linebacker, Los Angeles Rams

Projected contract per overthecap.com: 4 years-$12m avg/yr, $30m guaranteed, $48m total

1. Anthony Harris, Safety, Minnesota Vikings

Projected contract per overthecap.com: 4 years-$14.1m avg/yr, $31m guaranteed, $56.4m total

https://dawgpounddaily.com/2020/03/07/5-blockbuster-free-agent-signings-cleveland-browns-must-consider/6/

==============================================================================================================

So basically going again with list of biggest names out there...

... adding a mere $56.6mm/yr to our cap burden.

Of course... they only say we should consider them. :rolleyes:

23 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Projected contract per overthecap.com: 5 years-$13.5m avg/yr, $30.5m guaranteed, $67.5m total.

Projected contract per overthecap.com: 2 years- $13m avg/yr, $13m guaranteed, $26m total

Projected contract per overthecap.com: 5 years-$14m avg/yr, $34m guaranteed, $70m total

Projected contract per overthecap.com: 4 years-$12m avg/yr, $30m guaranteed, $48m total

Projected contract per overthecap.com: 4 years-$14.1m avg/yr, $31m guaranteed, $56.4m total

https://dawgpounddaily.com/2020/03/07/5-blockbuster-free-agent-signings-cleveland-browns-must-consider/6/

==============================================================================================================

Which of these would you target first and foremost.   I think Harris does make the most sense, all things considered.  And the LB we really need.  Plus at least one of the OL, I would hope. 

35 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

I can't talk TOO much shit, as I did casually throw out Chris Harris as an idea.    I'm cautious handing one year wonders at any position league leading contracts.  Too boom or bust for my taste.  And that's what Anthony Harris feels like.  He's been a steady player, had a breakout year, but does that make him worth damn near top 10 money?

Report: Browns trade target Trent Williams seeking $20 million salary

According to ESPN's John Keim, Washington Redskins offensive lineman Trent Williams is seeking a $20 million salary from whichever team acquires him.

Author: Ben Axelrod
Published: 4:12 PM EDT March 9, 2020
Updated: 5:14 PM EDT March 9, 2020

Considering their need at the position, it hardly comes a surprise that the Cleveland Browns have been linked to Washington Redskins left tackle Trent Williams.

But if the Browns are going to acquire the 7-time Pro Bowl selection, it looks like it's going to cost them more than just a draft pick.

While Washington has reportedly given Williams permission to seek a trade, any team acquiring the 31-year-old would also likely want to sign him to an extension. According to ESPN's John Keim, Williams -- whose contract expires at the end of the 2020 season -- will be seeking a salary of $20 million per season in his next contract.

https://www.wkyc.com/article/sports/nfl/browns/browns-trade-target-trent-williams-seeking-20-million-salary/95-8759c63e-8375-48f7-9945-7c391ac58093

agent posturing... Browns & Jets have a price... Contenders? we might listen.. and the redskins still might not like the compensation.. AB might want to look hard at Big V & Peters in Philly.. o26.gif      

1 hour ago, gumby73 said:

agent posturing... Browns & Jets have a price... Contenders? we might listen.. and the redskins still might not like the compensation.. AB might want to look hard at Big V & Peters in Philly..

absolutely. Jason Peters I respect hugely. Just not wanting Williams.

or just draft one. It's a good year for tackles.

maybe....

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2879821-best-bargain-option-at-each-position-in-2020-nfl-free-agency#slide5

"Another year, another look at Tyler Eifert as a massive bargain. 

Eifert ended up returning to the Cincinnati Bengals last year on a one-year pact and had a quiet season, largely because the team benched its starting quarterback, had one of the league's worst offensive lines, and new coach Zac Taylor didn't use tight ends much in the passing game. 

It all sets up Eifert for a massive 2020 in the right locale.

While he didn't wow with his 436 yards and three scores, Eifert quietly had the first 16-game season of his career while playing 45 percent of the offense's snaps. Even if the team signing him keeps him at that attendance clip, a more prominent role in the attack could see him return to his 13-touchdown ways from 2015. "

"It's an odd (or refreshing) offseason when offensive tackle looks to be a strength of free agency and the draft. 

This means Daryl Williams could be a nice underrated value. 

Top-tier tackles like Anthony Castonzo will dominate the headlines, and specifically at right tackle, Williams falls behind names like Jack Conklin and Bryan Bulaga. 

Yet there is a degree of deception here with Williams. He graded at 56.1 over at Pro Football Focus last year, but it seemed to stem from the Carolina Panthers using him out of position all over the line. Such a detail hides the fact the veteran fully bounced back from his 2018 injury by appearing in all 16 games, logging 75 percent of the offense's snaps. 

Considering Williams' last notable attendance sheet in 2017 had him at a 77.2 at PFF, he could end up being a notable upgrade for a team's right edge at a very effective cost. "

... and from the Dawg Pound Daily CYA Dept...

Cleveland Browns: 3 Free agents to avoid this offseason

Grant Puskar
by Grant Puskarabout 1 hour ago

Spoiler alert... the new list includes HaHa Clinton-Dix who was listed in the first DPD article I ridiculed... which obviously was a job they were prepared to do.

On 3/4/2020 at 1:47 PM, Tour2ma said:

Here's the new list:

3. Darron Lee (LB-KC)

2. HaHa...

1. Tom Brady... and writer throws in some mocking of fans who actually think signing the GOAT for a year or two would be a good idea... can you say cajones?

41 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Grant Puskar

Spoiler alert... the new list includes HaHa Clinton-Dix who was listed in the first DPD article I ridiculed... which obviously was a job they were prepared to do.

Here's the new list:

3. Darron Lee (LB-KC)

2. HaHa...

1. Tom Brady... and writer throws in some mocking of fans who actually think signing the GOAT for a year or two would be a good idea... can you say cajones?

Lee as a WILL backer.... ?   Can't say that's the worst idea I've ever heard.

On 3/12/2020 at 3:11 PM, Tour2ma said:

Grant Puskar

Here's the new list:

3. Darron Lee (LB-KC)

2. HaHa...

Number 2 interests me ....

maxresdefault.jpg

• Haha 1

Ratfuckers   trade for Calais Campbell.    Fucking Jags....they seem to be wanting to go full  Sashi Brown on us, trading all their decent players .   But...only a 5th round draft pick?  Has Ali Khan or whatever his name is been getting blow jobs from Biscotti, to give a top DL  up for that cheaply?

https://sports.yahoo.com/ap-source-jags-trading-campbell-170931662.html