THE BROWNS BOARD

Rep. Katie Porter Gets a "Yes"

TexasAg1969

She had to make the head of the CDC squirm before he finally relented and answered that any American could get tested for the coronavirus free of charge. 

It's worth watching the video to watch her operate like a surgeon to get that commitment.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/watch-katie-porter-relentlessly-grill-220730855.html

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

She had to make the head of the CDC squirm before he finally relented and answered that any American could get tested for the coronavirus free of charge. 

It's worth watching the video to watch her operate like a surgeon to get that commitment.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/watch-katie-porter-relentlessly-grill-220730855.html

As a former hospital lab worker- on quick research, I could find ZERO information on how exactly they're testing for the virus. For sure- the US ability to test for it on a large scale is approaching nada. My wife still works at one of the major hospital labs here in Dayton- and she pretty much laughed at me when I asked how they're currently doing corona virus testing. It's all being shipped out to the CDC.  

What I suspect is they've got something based on PCR- and I'll explain that in layman's terms. When you get a viral infection- usually your body starts producing antibodies against whatever is causing the infection. Target #1. Or, you can actually target structures on the virus itself. #2. 

PCR is something that would have been considered Buck Rodgers science 40 years ago. It stands for Polimerase Chain Reaction. You can take any segment of DNA RNA, or a protein, and with a little hocus-pocus, create as many copies of it as you'd like to. Bind those copies to something that lights up in ultraviolet light, and presto. If it lights up- it's positive- if it doesn't- it's negative. 

The science has advanced by so many orders of magnitude, if I could get in a time machine back to the early 70s to my cell biology class and spout the little I know about this- the kids would certainly have thought I had just arrived from another star system. 

• Upvote 1

The Cleveland Clinic is making their own kits and they will be deployed within 2 weeks.  They are also working on a drive by test plan where you will stay in your car and they will swab your nose and throat, get your info and inform you when results come in.

45 minutes ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

The Cleveland Clinic is making their own kits and they will be deployed within 2 weeks.  They are also working on a drive by test plan where you will stay in your car and they will swab your nose and throat, get your info and inform you when results come in.

South Korea has been effective doing it like this. Instead of relying solely on quarantines they have been testing about 20,000 daily. Four private companies in South Korea went into production very quickly to to mass produce these kits. S. Korea seems to be the model to follow IMO.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-51836898

https://www.ktvu.com/news/virus-testing-is-a-failing-leaving-cases-uncounted

• Thanks 1

One of the guys I play RB with said his wife came up with the symptoms, went to her MD where she tested negative for the flu and was told she just had bronchitis and sent home. They could not test her for coronavirus anyway. I told him if I got it from him I'd be looking for my shotgun because he didn't tell us this until after we had played two hours. She self quarantined but he didn't. Dummy could be a carrier now, but that never occurred to him. Got to use your brain if you have been around someone who has the right symptoms, but no test nor test results yet. We told him to call us if he gets symptoms too. This guy has more money than all of us combined, so if anyone could have found a way to get his wife tested it would be him. Just not available.

BTW two new positive cases in Austin, so all schools were shut down today and at least through spring break next week. They are talking about a 30 day closure at the moment.

10 minutes ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

They interviewed a couple of people who had it and recovered.  They said the first symptom was a high fever (over 103 degrees, along with body aches, chills and cough.

And I saw another who had tested positive who had all symptoms except no cough or chest congestion and was now almost recovered. So it looked more like flu for her, but turned out to be cvid-19.

I had the same symptoms back in May 2018 woke up with a high fever (103.2) chills and really bad aches.  Finally went to the Dr. and they did a flu check which turned out negative.  She said 'there's a virus going around'.  Just drank fluids, took advil and slept.  Got over it in about 5 days.  

3 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

They interviewed a couple of people who had it and recovered.  They said the first symptom was a high fever (over 103 degrees, along with body aches, chills and cough.

Tom Hanks posted except for the super  high fever that's what he was experiencing.  Sounds like  he'll be fine eventually.  

3 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

One of the guys I play RB with said his wife came up with the symptoms, went to her MD where she tested negative for the flu and was told she just had bronchitis and sent home. They could not test her for coronavirus anyway. I told him if I got it from him I'd be looking for my shotgun because he didn't tell us this until after we had played two hours. She self quarantined but he didn't. Dummy could be a carrier now, but that never occurred to him. Got to use your brain if you have been around someone who has the right symptoms, but no test nor test results yet. We told him to call us if he gets symptoms too. This guy has more money than all of us combined, so if anyone could have found a way to get his wife tested it would be him. Just not available.

BTW two new positive cases in Austin, so all schools were shut down today and at least through spring break next week. They are talking about a 30 day closure at the moment.

What they're  finding out is  some people who have  the virus can be totally  asymptomatic,  and feel fine. Oh well, maybe most of us  will be  that lucky.  

BTW Ag, the governor totally shut down all K - 12 schools in Ohio for three weeks. Colleges to on line  classes only. Little  wonder the stock market is in meltdown  mode. 

7 minutes ago, hoorta said:

What they're  finding out is  some people who have  the virus can be totally  asymptomatic,  and feel fine. Oh well, maybe most of us  will be  that lucky.  

BTW Ag, the governor totally shut down all K - 12 schools in Ohio for three weeks. Colleges to on line  classes only. Little  wonder the stock market is in meltdown  mode. 

Trumpy is holding another news conference today at 3pm EDT. Watch the magic DOW drop like a rock once again when dummy opens his stupid yap one more time. He needs to STFU and get out of the way of his experts. He makes the panic the pandemic with his inane speeches & comments.

Trumpy is holding another news conference today at 3pm EDT. Watch the magic DOW drop like a rock once again when dummy opens his stupid yap one more time. He needs to STFU and get out of the way of his experts. He makes the panic the pandemic with his inane speeches & comments.

I'll disagree with you Tex..I know that probably doesn't surprise you.😲

With all the fear mongering going on the best thing Trump can do is to try to quell the fear similar to what Roosevelt did with his fireside chats during the Great Depression to try to reduce fear and panic. 

I would agree though when Trump speaks on the coronavirus he should have his CDC experts with him and let them speak as well. They are the experts on this.

1 hour ago, OldBrownsFan said:

I'll disagree with you Tex..I know that probably doesn't surprise you.😲

With all the fear mongering going on the best thing Trump can do is to try to quell the fear similar to what Roosevelt did with his fireside chats during the Great Depression to try to reduce fear and panic. 

I would agree though when Trump speaks on the coronavirus he should have his CDC experts with him and let them speak as well. They are the experts on this.

When he was speaking with the teleprompter the stock market took a complete nosedive within minutes of what he was saying about shutting down trade as well as travel. The WH had to come back and clarify that was a misstatement. The damn thing was written out for him that way, so you can't believe anything. And you can't say things like everyone coming back from Europe is getting tested by "beautiful tests" when that is not happening. Or that anyone in America can get tested if they need it when that is just not true either yet. It makes him look like a liar. But of course we all know that anyway, so the market should not be so sensitive when he opens his mouth.

So even when his experts are right there, he isn't listening to them. He just goes on his merry way in trumpyfantasyland which is usually 180 degrees from what they just said in front of him.

2 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

But they are saying it will be at least a year before it can be distributed due to human testing etc.

Just now, DieHardBrownsFan said:

But they are saying it will be at least a year before it can be distributed due to human testing etc.

Volunteer to be a test subject with me DieHard. We can be the first on our respective blocks.

"Dear J&J, Come stick me with your new test anti-virus. Send your cutest nurse, preferably female."🧜‍♀️

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Be safe! When are they coming?

Tues - except she talked to her brother up here, and they decided to cancel the party til later.

She didn't think it was a risk for everybody - they can have their party later in the summer...

just as well - being on a plane with recirculating air... not a good idea right now.

2 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

When he was speaking with the teleprompter the stock market took a complete nosedive within minutes of what he was saying about shutting down trade as well as travel. The WH had to come back and clarify that was a misstatement. The damn thing was written out for him that way, so you can't believe anything. And you can't say things like everyone coming back from Europe is getting tested by "beautiful tests" when that is not happening. Or that anyone in America can get tested if they need it when that is just not true either yet. It makes him look like a liar. But of course we all know that anyway, so the market should not be so sensitive when he opens his mouth.

So even when his experts are right there, he isn't listening to them. He just goes on his merry way in trumpyfantasyland which is usually 180 degrees from what they just said in front of him.

Even if Trump had to make a clarification you are overblowing it because of your TDS. But you are in good company with fellow TDS'ers like Don Lemon at CNN.

You were a big supporter of never Trumper John Kasich and even Kasich thought the address Trump gave to the nation was a good address.

"CNN host Don Lemon went ballistic on John Kasich Wednesday night after the former Republican governor of Ohio refused to trash President Donald Trump's coronavirus address to the nation. Kasich called the speech "fine" and applauded the president's tone."

https://www.theblaze.com/news/cnn-don-lemon-loses-it-kasich-trump-coronavirus

BTW - Trump addressed the nation today and the DOW had record gains.

Volunteer to be a test subject with me DieHard. We can be the first on our respective blocks.

"Dear J&J, Come stick me with your new test anti-virus. Send your cutest nurse, preferably female."🧜‍♀️

Yeah- we found out there are serious and sometimes fatal side effects..... 

Hoorta Rule #1 when it comes to experimental treatments or vaccines. Only volunteer to be a guinea pig if it's a matter of life and death. More specifically your life.  :) 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, OldBrownsFan said:

BTW - Trump addressed the nation today and the DOW had record gains.

He was far better today in letting all those people on the team get a chance to speak up about the plans going into operation. Far, far better than Wed.

31 minutes ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Trump is a horrible speaker.  

I think it is according to what setting he is in. He doesn't come across well speaking behind a desk in the oval office reading off a teleprompter. He comes across better at rallies and when he speaks at factories with workers. He is an exceptional speaker in those settings. 

• Upvote 1