THE BROWNS BOARD

Build the wall FASTER before worse viruses get loose from overseas

calfoxwc

2 hours ago, Axe said:

Y'know? I 'm more bothered by the percentage of meds that apparently come from China..   This was I'm sure done to reduce production costs. Supposedly to keep costs down.. Need I go further?

Yep, we here in the US definitely got caught with our pants around our ankles on this one.

On a side note, i've been interviewing at a couple of pharmaceutical and biotech companies recently for lab analyst/tech jobs, and I have a feeling that the market on these type of jobs will be booming here in the near future after this pandemic is over. A rainbow behind every cloud, I suppose.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Axe said:

Y'know? I 'm more bothered by the percentage of meds that apparently come from China..   This was I'm sure done to reduce production costs. Supposedly to keep costs down.. Need I go further?

well, liberal high taxes and unnecessary regulation/fees/more fees/etc etc etc red tape...

will do that. Thank GOD for Pres Trump.

7 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

well, liberal high taxes and unnecessary regulation/fees/more fees/etc etc etc red tape...

will do that. Thank GOD for Pres Trump.

"Unnecessary" regulations include quality control testing of raw materials and finished goods coming from China and other countries with lower quality and safety standards than we do; I don't know about you, but I think that it's a good idea to test our drugs to make sure they're safe as possible and actually contain what they say they contain. Safety testing and quality controls tend to be time and labor intensive, hence the higher fees and "red tape".

Also, the mass export of American pharmaceutical manufacturing and raw materials sourcing began in the mid to late 90's and continue to today. That's almost 25 years of both Democrats and Republicans in the presidency and Congress continually turning a blind eye/passing the buck on this issue. No one party is solely responsible for this shit show, they both are culpable.

5 hours ago, jbluhm86 said:

"Unnecessary" regulations include quality control testing of raw materials and finished goods coming from China and other countries with lower quality and safety standards than we do; I don't know about you, but I think that it's a good idea to test our drugs to make sure they're safe as possible and actually contain what they say they contain. Safety testing and quality controls tend to be time and labor intensive, hence the higher fees and "red tape".

Also, the mass export of American pharmaceutical manufacturing and raw materials sourcing began in the mid to late 90's and continue to today. That's almost 25 years of both Democrats and Republicans in the presidency and Congress continually turning a blind eye/passing the buck on this issue. No one party is solely responsible for this shit show, they both are culpable.

And you are right both parties have been responsible for selling out our country's best interests for their own personal gain. For me this is where I appreciate Trump. He was the only one sounding the alarm about China and the terrible trade deals. Joe Biden for example was Obama's point man to fight corruption in Ukraine and his own son gets a sweetheart job as board member of a crooked gas company in Ukraine making at least $50,000 a month for no reason except he was the VP's son. Then Obama put Biden as point man in China and again Biden brings his son to China and his son leaves with millions of dollars from China in a deal that only happened because he was the VP's son. Biden wasn't looking out for our country's best interests he was seeing to it his own family's interests were taken care of.  Hillary Clinton ran a pay to play scam as sec of state where if any nation wanted favors the price was a donation to the corrupt Clinton Foundation.

As a republican I sided with democrats on NAFTA. I always believed NAFTA was a bad deal for American workers and Trump was the only one wanting to either renegotiate or get out of NAFTA. Trump has fought the globalists which we are finally finding out now with being dependent upon a foreign enemy (China) for supplies how dangerous that is with China threatening to withhold medical supplies we depend on during this coronavirus crisis.

For all his personality faults Trump has been the best president in my lifetime. I hope and pray he gets re-elected and the republicans take back the House and keep the Senate so he can continue doing good things for the American people.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, jbluhm86 said:

of course not. It's nonsense to include necessary regulations with unnecessary regulations to make a feeble point. It's much more complicated than that:

https://www.concordmonitor.com/Federal-regulations-must-be-cut-back-10660889

"Regulations by the federal government have run amok. In President Barack Obama’s final year, the Federal Register, containing public notices of all rules and regulations, hit a whopping 97,110 pages.

The annual cost of compliance with regulations amounts to about $2,500 per person. Regulations block innovation, devote resources to compliance instead of growth and suppress employment. They’re a major reason for the nation’s anemic rate of growth.

The Obama administration put in place 600 major regulations, each with compliance costs of at least $100 million. (George W. Bush, no regulatory piker, imposed 426 major regulations.) Obama’s 600 major regulations totaled an estimated $743 billion, larger than the economies of Norway and Israel combined."

When President Obama took over, the U.S. ranked third in the ease of doing business. It has fallen to eighth place.

Eight years ago, 40 days were needed to obtain a construction permit. Now it’s 81 days.

In 2008, enforcing a contract in America took 300 days. Today, 420 days. (Enforcing a contract in Greece requires more than four years – one reason for that nation’s travails.)

A company that has a contract or subcontract with the government must establish a plan that will enable its workforce to include 7 percent disabled.

For people who’ve had accidents, the government bans blanket policies on drug testing. Why? Because blanket drug testing might be discriminatory.

Companies are required to adopt the United Nation’s system of labeling chemicals. To comply with the relabeling and reclassification requirements, affected companies must spend an estimated $2.1 billion.

The Dodd-Frank Bill was intended to prevent another financial crisis. It would do no such thing, but the bill is loaded with unnecessary regulations harmful to banking and finance.

The National Association of Manufacturers estimates that federal regulations have forced manufacturing companies to pay more than $19,500 per employee to remain in compliance with rules and regulations. Who pays the cost? We do. To remain in business, companies must raise the prices of their products.

There’s hope: For every dollar of new regulatory costs each agency imposes on the private economy, President Donald Trump has ordered that it must relieve the economy of two dollars of burden.

Congress is working on a bill that requires congressional approval before regulations costing $100 million or more would take effect.

An Obamacare rule, up for reversal, requires companies with 50 or more employees to provide health care coverage for all of its workers. This has induced companies to limit the number of employees to just 49, even though many firms would have preferred to expand.

Another administration target: a rule designed to undermine oil and gas fracking on federal land.

Still another: An SEC rule that forces U.S. companies to report payments to foreign governments. The rule would require companies to disclose proprietary information that competitors could use against them.

Congress will repeal a regulation that requires companies to disclose the natural resources they’re extracting – a rule that does not apply to foreign companies.

The Stream Protection Rule, already revoked, would have destroyed tens of thousands of mining jobs and put almost two-thirds of the nation’s coal reserves off limits.

From 1980 to 2012, the economy grew at an annual rate of 2.7 percent. In a careful study, the Mercatus Center found that if federal regulations had been frozen at the 1980 level, the economy would have grown at 3.5 percent per year instead of 2.7 percent. The GDP would have been $19.5 trillion instead of $15.2 trillion – about 25 percent larger. Per capita, Americans would have been $13,000 wealthier.

Even in the starting year of the above Mercatus study, 1980, the Federal Register contained 87,012 pages – only 10,000 fewer than the current number.

Federal regulations are a huge burden. Reductions have begun. Many more are needed.

(Archie M. Richards Jr. of Concord wrote weekly newspaper columns on money matters. Write to him at archier71@gmail.com.)

On 3/13/2020 at 9:09 PM, calfoxwc said:

Viruses are blind to borders Cal. You want a Mexican border? Why stop there, build one with Canada. Corona is rampant in Italy. Ban all of them from coming over indefinitely. 

54 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Viruses are blind to borders Cal. You want a Mexican border? Why stop there, build one with Canada. Corona is rampant in Italy. Ban all of them from coming over indefinitely. 

but the people can't drive though barriers, Hoorta. or walk through them. They stop. and if they are infected, that infection stops.

Now, Canada - is becoming a problem. Can't build a wall there - too many beavers and ponds and lakes.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/illegal-border-crossings-canada-quietly-rising-data-shows-n981131