THE BROWNS BOARD

Brown pants on the road??

ballpeen

Glad to see a couple of old timers showing up to verify what this old timer has been saying...we have worn white at home since the days of Paul Brown.

I too have heard the white makes you look bigger theory.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not a lover of the white on white. Hated when the old LA Rams wore it, too. I think that's why I liked the Brown pants.

Again... we're the Browns.

Agreed...so why the orange??

I don't mind brown jerseys...pants look like crap

I like any Orange/Brown combination.

Don't like Orange on Orange, I think someone already said too "Clemson-like".

White shirts go best with either white or orange pants, not Brown.

Not that anybody cares but that's my opinion.

I'm not buying any psychological or physical advantages to the color of the jersey.

Dont get me wrong I am proud of our history as a team. I'd like for us to come up with a uniform combo and make our own luck with it. I like the orange jerseys and white pants. I also like the brown pants. I think brown on brown and orange on orange would be a little bit too much. Just my opinion tho...

How the hell do you remember what each team wears at home? My god, your mind is almost brilliantly autistic or something. I can't remember what I wore yesterday or even earlier today.

I still find it hard to believe a team would give up an advantage of wearing dark unis in the heat if given the choice, sounds stupid to me. For those who played football, the difference in wearing a dark jersey to light jersey in any temps over about 60 are huge in the daytime.

Maybe it's college I'm thinking of, those southern teams play in some pretty extreme heat in the hottest part of the day.

I'm gonna show the wife this post so that I can once and for all prove to her that I'm brilliant. The Riffer said so.

Don't know how or why I remember certain things so well, but when it comes to obsessions (The Browns, Alice Cooper, Football & Rock 'N' Roll), my mind is like a steel trap.

If I got to choose, we'd wear white, white in all 19 games....YES "19" games!

Doug

I'm not crazy about the idea of playing around too much with the uniforms, but I won't have a conniption fit if they do it, especially in the preseason. Teams fiddle with their uniforms, including the Browns--you know, the guys who used to play in white helmets part of the time. The Browns just feel different because, well, for one thing, it's our team, and for another, most of the tweaks to the uniform have been minor.

Yes, the uniforms are traditional, but it's tradition that comes from a franchise that thinks this:

BROWNIE.jpg

is an intimidating mascot (hat tip to the Browns Board, by the way, for being the first hit on Google Images for "Brownie the Elf").

Maybe this:

Cleveland%20Brownie%20Elf.jpg

would scare people, but probably for the wrong reasons.

I've never gotten the love for Brownie. It's not just that he's an elf (which is more annoying or creepy than intimidating), but he's not even a particularly scary type of elf. Here's a relevent passage from the Wikipedia entry on brownies:

>>Customarily brownies (A type of hob – see hobgoblin) are said to inhabit houses and aid in tasks around the house. However, they don't like to be seen and will only work at night, traditionally in exchange for small gifts or food. They take quite a delight in porridge and honey. They usually abandon the house if their gifts are called payments, or if the owners of the house misuse them. Brownies make their homes in an unused part of the house.<<

That's right, the mighty elf that's been scaring the pants off the NFL for half a century have also been helping shoemakers for centuries. Good God.

Dennis

I'm just glad to actually see so many others that wouldn't mind changing up our uni's. I've been on this bandwagon for years that it's time to let go of the old. I didn't love the brown pants and thought they could have used something on the side but I did love the fact they were trying something new. And they didn't look that bad.

It's time to make a change for the future. We are constantly reminded of our history. We constantly hear of the championship days and what not. But the problem is this: IT IS 2009. That was.....wait for it.......50 FRIGGIN' YEARS AGO.

I've said this in the past and will state it again: It is time for the Browns to seriously look toward and strategize for the future. The fan base is dwindling faster than pop-culture stars are dying. When I travel around America I see fewer and fewer shirts, jerseys or Browns stuff overall. You can say that if we win that will change it all. But I contend that with the ADD society that is being created by the internet, twitter, texting and breaking news runners on the bottom of every station that the Browns are losing the interest of even it's core fan base in Cleveland. Kids don't have to root for the Browns because that's all they can see on TV or read about in the paper. They have an equal amount of access to ALL of the NFL teams. And with as finicky as kids are, many times they shy away from the Browns because of what they look like in their uni's.

There is a reason that every time a poll is taken from fans to players that our uni is in the bottom 3. It's because it's ugly. Face it. It is. We all love it because it's what we were raised around. We love it because our Dad's loved it. We love it because of what it used to stand for. We love it because it's the Browns. But they don't. They see an ugly uniform and a bad team. One is harder to fix than the other. Why not fix both?

All I'm saying is it's time to worry about maintaining our fan base and this is one avenue to attract the youth of America. We can sit back and say "Screw them if they don't like it. We don't need bandwagon fans or fans that aren't real fans." But that short-sighted view will cripple the future fanbase of our team and I, for one, hope that my son and daughter will have as many friends to enjoy the Browns and football with as I have in my 37 years.

Make the changes. Keep them minor. Don't add a logo to the helmet. Tweak the orange. There is a reason why hot rods are painted in a cool metallic orange and not safety barrel orange. Because it's cool and safety barrel orange isn't. Add a color like pewter or gray or silver. I'm not down with the 'wheat' or tan that was proposed, but I do appreciate the thought. Lose some of the stripes. We used to have a ton of stripes because we had LONG SLEEVES. We don't need them anymore. Things like this are what we need for our uniforms.

Evolve. Move forward. It's time.

Oh yeah - a little winning wouldn't hurt either.....

The brown pants wouldnt be so bad if they were striped with a big orange stripe in the middle with a white stripe on both sides of the orange or vica versa or even 2 small orange stripes with brown in the middle and some matching socks but the raw brown is total ghetto looks as classless as the last regime....;)

Agree with doing SOMETHING. I like tradition, wouldn't favor a logo on the helmet, but if any team should think about a cool side-leg stripe, etc, it should be the Browns. What's the harm? Try it, if it isn't liked, bag it.

Tradition is important, but it can stymie innovation, creation, and progress as well.

The NFL may have to push some as I think as Mangini is only one step above the Bellicheck hooded sweatshirt. Butch Davis was asked by Jim Donovan once if he'd bring the orange uni's back out sometime, and Butch replied "oh, I have no idea, the NFL offices tell us what to wear and when". It may have been a line to get out of the answer, but probably some truth to it.

Yes, the uniforms are traditional, but it's tradition that comes from a franchise that thinks this:

BROWNIE.jpg

is an intimidating mascot (hat tip to the Browns Board, by the way, for being the first hit on Google Images for "Brownie the Elf").

Dennis, when was the last time that you saw that elf thing endorsed or promoted by the team?

You can walk every inch of the Stadium and i guarantee you that, if at all, the only hint will be in some old photo.

Dennis, when was the last time that you saw that elf thing endorsed or promoted by the team?

You can walk every inch of the Stadium and i guarantee you that, if at all, the only hint will be in some old photo.

It's on a new hat I bought at the stadium last year in a logo starved moment.

I think we've all commented on this topic once or twice before? At least it's not another QB thread!

I still agree that a change in the Browns' uni's would be nice. Reading all the suggestions, I don't think anyone is really proposing a radical change. More or less, we all just want to see them upgraded to the new century?! Adding a stripe or stripes to the pants would look good...removing some of the stripes from the jersey would help...changing the orange to a metallic orange would look great...I don't mind a possible logo on the helmets, but don't really favor it either way. I think, if done correctly, it would look good. The helmets are a little dull, but I think altering the orange would help that and maybe, as someone already suggested, mixing in a little silver with our colors.

I'm not going to sit here and say that changing uni's will help the product on the field. But it could help with the fan base and definitely would help in merchandise sales. We know that if the team makes more money, they will be willing to spend more money.

A matter of taste. I like the Ravens black pants with just the Raven and nothing else... and I like the Browns all brown pants with just a logo, too... like the big B or something.

That wouldn't be a bad idea or maybe just the helmet. I'd settle for maybe a few alterations to the uniforms and maybe a new logo. I mean some shows just show us as the color orange or just our helmet or the dawg face or just then word Browns or just the elf. It'd be nice to settle on one logo and run with it.

I think we've all commented on this topic once or twice before? At least it's not another QB thread!

I still agree that a change in the Browns' uni's would be nice. Reading all the suggestions, I don't think anyone is really proposing a radical change. More or less, we all just want to see them upgraded to the new century?! Adding a stripe or stripes to the pants would look good...removing some of the stripes from the jersey would help...changing the orange to a metallic orange would look great...I don't mind a possible logo on the helmets, but don't really favor it either way. I think, if done correctly, it would look good. The helmets are a little dull, but I think altering the orange would help that and maybe, as someone already suggested, mixing in a little silver with our colors.

I'm not going to sit here and say that changing uni's will help the product on the field. But it could help with the fan base and definitely would help in merchandise sales. We know that if the team makes more money, they will be willing to spend more money.

Agree with all including a general reservation to a helmet logo. Even Penn State has a cool looking lion they splash darn near everywhere except the helmet. It's a fan pleaser. It's also a reason the dog thing took off with Hanford, proving that fans like logos and mascots. Browns fans may even be starving for one. For the Tribe, I love the cartoon Wahoo. I know it has baggage, but hey, I'm Irish, and I realize the corny leprechaun ND uses is nothing more than a cartoon. But, that topic is for another thread.

Back to the point, a little effort on the uni's would be enough for me. Brown pants and a cool stripe or logo would be fine. Metallic orange helmets is intriguing me too.

I like the numbers on the side as well, check out my avatar over there <------- The numbers look sweet.

I also like the orange Jerseys, I think orange jersey white pants, brown jersey white pants, white jersey orange pants, and brown jersey orange pants are all good combos.

Just not orange jersey brown pants, or brown jersey orange pants.

I do have to say I think the brown pants are bad luck, we were destroyed in that game

The only thing worse than the white jersey and brown pants was the brown jersey and orange pants. Holy Christ that was ugly. Brown jerseys and brown pants would be absolutely horrific.

I'm with whoever said we should wear all white for all 19 games. I'll take the occasional Brown Jerseys with the white pants just for a change of pace..maybe once or twice out of the 16 games. But white on white the rest of the time for me...

Seriously, Mark? You like the white on white?

Do you use condiments on your sandwiches? Do you like boiled fish?

Seriously I like the white on white... and no I don't use condiments on my sandwiches since you're asking. I like boiled lobster if that counts.

Don't tell me that you liked the orange and brown or god forbid the brown/brown combo that we;re talking about?

The Brown pants need a stripe. I like the white/orange/white idea and it needs to be thick. Then I'd be okay with them.

No orange jersey. EVER. PERIOD. It's hideous and we are not the Bengals, who truly have the worst uni's in football.

I like the numbers on the helmets. I could probably get used to that fulltime.

Orange pants only for the two throwback games. And only with brown tops.

White/white is classic and I like it but again only with thick stripes, top and bottom, to break up the white.

My favorite is brown top/white bottom though. It just looks like the Browns to me with that combo.

As for logo/mascot, I like the elf but only as a throwback/retro thing.

I HATE the current dog symbol. In fact, I hate the whole "dawg" thing totally, mostly because it's outdated. Like the elf, it should be relegated to throwback/retro status and should not be part of current marketing. The Dawg Pound is fine but as you old-timers know, it ain't the same anyway, so why pretend? In 20 years, no one will know or care what the Dawg Pound stood for and I don't see another Big Dawg taking over, do you guys?

I don't think any big logo or mascot are needed but I do think there's room to sell different forms of "Cleveland" and "Browns" like the script in the end zones.

I also think there should be a consistent CB logo, something blocky and old school, strong and classic and then an offshoot B logo. Maybe incorporate a football image somehow.

If I was the marketing guy, I'd play up the classic, working-class, blue-collar FOOTBALL aspects and make the lack of anything shiny and exciting a strength.

For reference, look at the White Sox return to their classic Sox logo and black and white pinstripe look after experimenting with all sorts of ugly, red and blue weirdness and "modern" logo from the 80s. (Ironically, that abandoned "modern" logo is now their primary throwback/retro logo.) They don't have a great mascot but they made their SOX logo iconic (with the help of gangsta rappers, of course). That's what the Browns need to do.

Archived