THE BROWNS BOARD

Brown pants on the road??

ballpeen

Cleveland Browns might wear brown pants for all road games during 2009 NFL season

Sunday, July 26, 2009

Tony Grossi

Plain Dealer Reporter

Will the chocolate-brown uniform pants have a new life under new Browns coach Eric Mangini?

The Browns unveiled the brown pants in the disastrous second exhibition game at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J., last summer. That was the game in which the Browns fell behind the New York Giants, 30-3, in barely more than one quarter.

That national prime-time performance, punctuated by several major injuries, contributed to the bad taste left by the radical look of the brown pants. They have been locked up in the Browns' equipment room ever since.

But rumors have surfaced recently that Mangini intends to surprise everyone by dressing his team in brown pants for every road game this year.

A Browns official could have shot the rumor down. But when it was posed to Neal Gulkis, director of public relations, he responded, "No final determination has been made."

Gulkis went on to point out that pant colors - unlike jerseys - do not have to be approved by the league before the season.

"You can decide what pants you will be wearing as late as the day before a game," Gulkis wrote in an e-mail.

Teams must declare whether they wish to wear their dark or white jersey for each home game. The visiting team then must wear the alternate dark or white jersey. So if any of the Browns' opponents wish to wear white at home, the Browns would be forced to wear their brown jerseys.

Which then would raise the possibility of a brown jersey-brown pants combination. They would look like giant Fudgesicles.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not averse to tinkering around with uniforms--and I'm not superstitious enough to think that they affect the team's play--but those things were hideous. Maybe if they had some stripes or something. If they tweaked them, I'd be willing to take a look at them again, but those gave the Steelers' yellow helmets a run for their money as the ugliest uniforms I've seen in recent years.

Dennis

*Sigh*

They will hardly ever be wearing Brown pants on the road. Home teams go with their light uni tops the first couple months almost religiously at home, especially the outdoor teams. It gives an advantage in the heat. Therefore, the Browns will be wearing their Brown jerseys and white pants on the road.

The only way it makes sense is for them to wear them at home with their white unis, because they go white up top almost every home game and especially in the heat.

Another really stupid story please get here camp.

THE Cowboys are about the only team who wears white at home other than the Browns, we will see brown pants on a regular basis.

Forget this advantage of wearing dark in cold weather...the sun isn't usually shining when it is cold.

Light colors may help to cool you...when it is 95....at 15, it doesn't make any difference.....or enough to provide any advantage.

There is no big deal if one team feels 15 and the other 18. It only helps if it is hot.

Guest TheJokersWILD

I would be open to a total uniform makeover maybe that's just what the Browns need. I still like the fact that we are the only NFL team without a logo on either side of the helmet. Long time ago I had a design for new browns uniforms I drew up maybe I will redo it and post my ideas ;)

THE Cowboys are about the only team who wears white at home other than the Browns, we will see brown pants on a regular basis.

Forget this advantage of wearing dark in cold weather...the sun isn't usually shining when it is cold.

Light colors may help to cool you...when it is 95....at 15, it doesn't make any difference.....or enough to provide any advantage.

There is no big deal if one team feels 15 and the other 18. It only helps if it is hot.

Hey Peens can I book this prediction like Cribbs kicking ass at safety?

I don't have official numbers and nor do you, but light tops are a big deal early on for at least a month.

The Browns themselves have used their whites predominantly at home, which has pissed me off. Another thread and comment to follow from you Peens.

I'll put myself squarely in the minority again and admit that I really liked the orange jerseys as a change of pace. My favorite uniform is the home whites. I don't know why, exactly, but it always just looked classy to me.

Dennis

Hey Peens can I book this prediction like Cribbs kicking ass at safety?

I don't have official numbers and nor do you, but light tops are a big deal early on for at least a month.

The Browns themselves have used their whites predominantly at home, which has pissed me off. Another thread and comment to follow from you Peens.

As I said, I think whites help more in heat then dark does in cold. A few degrees cooler when 90 helps more than a few degrees when it is 17.

As to Cribbs...very funny...lol....it may still happen....and it really wasn't a prediction....it was my opinion...and it still is...if I was the man, Cribbs would be my kick-butt safety.

As I said, I think whites help more in heat then dark does in cold. A few degrees cooler when 90 helps more than a few degrees when it is 17.

As to Cribbs...very funny...lol....it may still happen....and it really wasn't a prediction....it was my opinion...and it still is...if I was the man, Cribbs would be my kick-butt safety.

I would be curious if anybody has stats on the jersey thing. To me, it's been conventional wisdom for years that home teams chose their light jerseys to start the season and generally kept them even when the weather changed. Even in 70 degree temps a darker jersey can make a huge heat difference, and a ton of teams play south far enough where those temps can hang through the end of October.

In the NBA for example, the home team generally goes all white. Since the Browns have done the same for years much to my chagrin, I am assuming most of the league follows suit (no pun intended). However, I just saw the highlight of Brady going down in KC last year wearing white, while KC was wearing red at home and KC can get hot as hell the first month and a half or so.

Either way, I stand by my stance that the Browns certainly will not wear Brown pants on the road for 8 games. The only way they would is if they went Brown on Brown, and that isn't going to happen IMO.

As a personal preference, I have always loved our Brown jerseys, and the days of orange pants and Browns jerseys was the best. Now it they do the Brown pants correctly with stripes and not the spandex look, they could be pretty cool. I do not like the orange jerseys mostly because of the day glo gay glo colors they chose rather than traditional orange. I'd much rather see a combo of orange pants and brown jerseys than the opposite. To me, since the team has traditionally wore white jerseys at home most of the time it would make more sense to don the Brown pants at home, but that's just me.

As far as Cribbs ball busting goes, I stand by my original premise. He better be Ed Reedesque to take him away from all the other things he brings to the table, so IMO you opinion is seriously flawed.

Can someone find uni stats?

Seems to me the Browns have been wearing their brown jerseys at home almost exclusively for the past 3 or 4 seasons.

Dallas & Washington are the only teams I know of that always wear white jerseys at home. Virtually all of the other NFL teams opt to wear their colored jerseys for all home games, regardless of the weather.

I did like those orange pants of the 70s & early 80s.

Well, let's review the Road schedule:

2 Sep 20 CLE @ DEN Invesco Field at Mile High 4:15 PM .... The Broncos have never in my recollection worn white at home....likelyhood of Brown pants...HIGH

3 Sep 27 CLE @ BAL M&T Bank Stadium 1:00 PM ... The Rats have worn white at home a few times, but I have noticed they ALWAYS wear that hideous Grape shiite when playing AFC North teams....likelyhood of Brown pants...HIGH

5 Oct 11 CLE @ BUF Ralph Wilson Stadium 1:00 PM ....The Bills have occasionally worn white at home, but it's NEVER hot in Buffalo....likelyhood of Brown pants....GOOD

6 Oct 18 CLE @ PIT Heinz Field 1:00 PM ....The Cheaters NEVER wear white in the Mustard Pit.....likelyhood of Brown pants.....VERY HIGH

8 Nov 01 CLE @ CHI Soldier Field 1:00 PM .....Da Bearz NEVER wear white at home.....likelyhood of Brown pants.....VERY HIGH

11 Nov 22 CLE @ DET Ford Field 1:00 PM ....The Lions have started to mix things up and will be sporting new unis this year, but historically they wear Blue at home.....likelyhood of Brown pants....MODERATE

12 Nov 29 CLE @ CIN Paul Brown Stadium ....The Bungholes occasionally sport the white at home, but like the Rats they always seem to wear the Black versus the AFC North teams.....likelyhood of Brown pants....HIGH

15 Dec 20 CLE @ KC Arrowhead Stadium 1:00 PM ....I have NEVER seen the Chiefs wear white at home.....likelyhood of Brown pants.....HIGH

So, if we're gonna wear 'em, good chance we'll see 'em alot. I'm not a big fan of toying with the uniform. I like the white/white combo very much myself, but if we're winning I don't care if they're wearing Danskin dance pants.

Doug

Seems to me the Browns have been wearing their brown jerseys at home almost exclusively for the past 3 or 4 seasons.

Dallas & Washington are the only teams I know of that always wear white jerseys at home. Virtually all of the other NFL teams opt to wear their colored jerseys for all home games, regardless of the weather.

I did like those orange pants of the 70s & early 80s.

Yeah I thought we were wearing Brown at home too... We wore White v. the Raturds in baltimore.

ANd yes, orange pants with white jerseys and brown jerseys would be awesome.

Well, let's review the Road schedule:

2 Sep 20 CLE @ DEN Invesco Field at Mile High 4:15 PM .... The Broncos have never in my recollection worn white at home....likelyhood of Brown pants...HIGH

3 Sep 27 CLE @ BAL M&T Bank Stadium 1:00 PM ... The Rats have worn white at home a few times, but I have noticed they ALWAYS wear that hideous Grape shiite when playing AFC North teams....likelyhood of Brown pants...HIGH

5 Oct 11 CLE @ BUF Ralph Wilson Stadium 1:00 PM ....The Bills have occasionally worn white at home, but it's NEVER hot in Buffalo....likelyhood of Brown pants....GOOD

6 Oct 18 CLE @ PIT Heinz Field 1:00 PM ....The Cheaters NEVER wear white in the Mustard Pit.....likelyhood of Brown pants.....VERY HIGH

8 Nov 01 CLE @ CHI Soldier Field 1:00 PM .....Da Bearz NEVER wear white at home.....likelyhood of Brown pants.....VERY HIGH

11 Nov 22 CLE @ DET Ford Field 1:00 PM ....The Lions have started to mix things up and will be sporting new unis this year, but historically they wear Blue at home.....likelyhood of Brown pants....MODERATE

12 Nov 29 CLE @ CIN Paul Brown Stadium ....The Bungholes occasionally sport the white at home, but like the Rats they always seem to wear the Black versus the AFC North teams.....likelyhood of Brown pants....HIGH

15 Dec 20 CLE @ KC Arrowhead Stadium 1:00 PM ....I have NEVER seen the Chiefs wear white at home.....likelyhood of Brown pants.....HIGH

So, if we're gonna wear 'em, good chance we'll see 'em alot. I'm not a big fan of toying with the uniform. I like the white/white combo very much myself, but if we're winning I don't care if they're wearing Danskin dance pants.

Doug

How the hell do you remember what each team wears at home? My god, your mind is almost brilliantly autistic or something. I can't remember what I wore yesterday or even earlier today.

I still find it hard to believe a team would give up an advantage of wearing dark unis in the heat if given the choice, sounds stupid to me. For those who played football, the difference in wearing a dark jersey to light jersey in any temps over about 60 are huge in the daytime.

Maybe it's college I'm thinking of, those southern teams play in some pretty extreme heat in the hottest part of the day.

I would go with these combos

white jersey/brown pants

brown jersey orange pants

still no logo on the helmet but I do like the numbers on the side.

I know I am in the minority probably but if I was in charge that is how it would be.

And since Lumbergh hasn't posted in this thread yet...........DA sucks go Quinn ;)

To me, it's been conventional wisdom for years that home teams chose their light jerseys to start the season and generally kept them even when the weather changed.

It hasn't. For years and years, the Cowboys and Browns were the only teams to wear white at home.....how often over the years have you seen Dallas in their blue jerseys?? Not that often.

That is why until recently you rarely saw the Browns in their brown jerseys.

Most teams wear their colors at home and whites on the road.

I like the whites because that is what we wore when we were good.

Are you sure?

I liked the orange pants alot and wish we'd bring them back.

- Tom F.

Browns10.jpg

After the 1964 championship game...played at Muni

Browns8.jpg

Action from stadium, mid 60's

Browns26.jpg

Groza hitting winning FG in 1950 championship.

I didn't want to post any shots of the 'Drive"...we wore white.

It hasn't. For years and years, the Cowboys and Browns were the only teams to wear white at home.....how often over the years have you seen Dallas in their blue jerseys?? Not that often.

That is why until recently you rarely saw the Browns in their brown jerseys.

Most teams wear their colors at home and whites on the road.

The story that i've inherited from my father is that Modell wanted to give his home fans an opportunity to see the opposing team in their colors.

Separately (and not from my father), i've heard that their is a slight competitive advantage in sticking with the whites. That is because the skilled positions don't have to alternate their eye between darks and whites from game to game. i'm not sure i buy into that.

Archived