THE BROWNS BOARD

Trivia Questions and Answers

The Gipper

6 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Here is today's Trivia Question:

Tomorrow we play the Titans......but if you recall, the Titans used to be known as The Oilers.   

I count at least   6 other current NFL teams that at one point were known by another "nickname".   Name as many of these as you can. 

The Lions used to be the Spartans

The Bears used to be the Staleys

The Eagles used to be the Yellowjackets

The Jets used to be the Titans

The Chiefs used to be the Texans

The Football Team used to be the Redskins

2 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

The Lions used to be the Spartans

The Bears used to be the Staleys

The Eagles used to be the Yellowjackets

The Jets used to be the Titans

The Chiefs used to be the Texans

The Football Team used to be the Redskins

Technically, the  Eagles and the Yellow Jackets were completely separate franchises.  Eagles happened to take over in Philly after YJs went defunct. So that answer is technically wrong.  And while the WTFs were the Redskins....before they were the Redskins they had another name.

Plus there is one other you are missing.  

48 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Technically, the  Eagles and the Yellow Jackets were completely separate franchises.  Eagles happened to take over in Philly after YJs went defunct. So that answer is technically wrong.  And while the WTFs were the Redskins....before they were the Redskins they had another name.

Plus there is one other you are missing.  

Were the Redskins formerly the Braves?

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Robbie Gould? 

Close-played at PennSt since he came from Penn. But he did play soccer & football just like Georgetown, Texas soccer & football player Mason Crosby of the GB Packers after making 1st Team AA as a kicker at Colorado. I saw him kick one night in Georgetown and on about a 40 yd. FG the ball went so far that it left the lights into the darkness out of the back of the open stadium. Never seen anything like it before or since on the HS level. It was one of those plays where you stand up and go, "Holy Shit! Did I just see that??!!"😮

3 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Close-played at PennSt since he came from Penn. But he did play soccer & football just like Georgetown, Texas soccer & football player Mason Crosby of the GB Packers after making 1st Team AA as a kicker at Colorado. I saw him kick one night in Georgetown and on about a 40 yd. FG the ball went so far that it left the lights into the darkness out of the back of the open stadium. Never seen anything like it before or since on the HS level. It was one of those plays where you stand up and go, "Holy Shit! Did I just see that??!!"😮

I know Dave Mason and David Crosby

• Haha 1

Here is today's Trivia Question:

Tomorrow we play the Titans......but if you recall, the Titans used to be known as The Oilers.   

I count at least   6 other current NFL teams that at one point were known by another "nickname".   Name as many of these as you can. 

Answers:  all given:

Chiefs fka Dallas Texans

Bears  were Staleys for like 2 years

Lions were Spartans in Portsmouth

Steelers  began as Pirates

Jets began as Titans

WTFs   began as Braves in Boston, then became Redskins. ...only current team that I am aware of that has been through 3 names

Then  there are the Tennessee Titans that were the Houston Oilers   (they did remain the Oilers for like 2 years after moving.)

Who here thinks that the  current team in Houston  should go back to being known as the Oilers?    Before the Texans were created, the city of Houston did go to Bud Adams...owner of the Titans, and ask if they could have the name Oilers.  Either he flat out refused, or that old greedy fucking asshole wanted like  25 million for the name. 

Well, in researching....it seems that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.  Bud Adams daughter, Amy Adams Strunk, is apparently as big of a Khunt about the Oilers name as her old greedy bastard piece of shit of a dad  was:

It won’t happen. Amy Adams Strunk—daughter of Bud Adams, the man who founded the Oilers in 1960 and moved them to Nashville in 1997—told Titans beat reporter Paul Kuharsky that the prospect of the Texans playing in Oilers uniforms wasn’t even up for discussion. “Very interesting, except the Oilers don’t have anything to do with the Texans,” she said. “So that’s a hard no.”

Strunk’s statement is correct from a legal perspective. The Texans and Titans are distinct businesses, each controlling their own intellectual property and trademarks. But what she said is also absurd. Of course the Oilers have something to do with the Texans—they’re both NFL franchises that have called the same city home. The people of Houston celebrated triumphs and mourned failures with each, investing emotionally and buying heaps of team logo-emblazoned merchandise along the way.

2 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

The Browns have never played  "Japan" in the playoffs. ....but they aren't really a current NFL team, are they? 

Well when you have no idea to the answer on the playoff teams, you just go with the history you do know.😂

2 hours ago, dusty said:

Most of the NFC teams would be on the list.

Giants

Eagles

Falcons

Panthers

Saints

Cowbows

Cardinals

49ers

Chargers

Vikings

I am pretty sure they played Lions and Bears

You might want to rethink this.

The Browns didn't start playing in the AFC until 1970.

So from 1950-1969 they were playing teams that make up the current NFC, with the exception of the Steelers and Colts. 

4 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

You might want to rethink this.

The Browns didn't start playing in the AFC until 1970.

So from 1950-1969 they were playing teams that make up the current NFC, with the exception of the Steelers and Colts. 

They actually played the Cowboys like 3 times in the 60s. 

Answers:

The Browns are on the cusp of making the playoffs.

Name all the current NFL teams that the Browns have NOT met in postseason play in their history.   There are quite a few.

Seahawks

Cardinals

Chargers

Texans

Chiefs

Saints

Bears

Bengals

Falcons

Jaguars

Buccaneers

Panthers

Ravens

Washington (Redskins)

Eagles

Here are the Browns postseason record against the team they HAVE met in the postseason:

Colts  2-2    (both Balt and Indy)

Cowboys   2-1

Broncos   0-3

Lions  1-3

Packers   0-1

Oilers/Titans   0-1    (as Oilers)

Raiders   0-2

Rams   2-1

Dolphins   0-2

Vikings  0-1

Patriots   1-0

Giants  1-1

Jets   1-0

Steelers  0-2

49ers  1-0

NFL Bills  1-0

AAFC Bills  1-0

AAFC NY Yankees  2-0

11 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Well  No, none of these are correct.    Sorry dude. Nice try. 

Without giving anything away I looked it up and there is one high up in there I never would have guessed in a million years. Especially with that team.