THE BROWNS BOARD

Trivia Questions and Answers

The Gipper

43 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Bedford Falls is where 'It's A Wonderful Life' is set. Pottersville is the George Bailey-less version of Bedford Falls. 

oh ya pottersville well hell i was close

13 hours ago, ATOM said:

oh ya pottersville well hell i was close

You were.   And Bedford Falls is based on Seneca Falls NY. 

And  Pottsville PA  had the Maroons.   And that town to this day claims they should have been granted the 1925 NFL title...and I think their claim is justified. 

There had been some talk of reviving that name for the WTFs...you know  Washington Team Football.   But apparently that has been rejected. 

So far y'all have gotten exactly -0-

On December 6, 1925, a young football team called the Pottsville Maroons crushed the Chicago Cardinals in what was widely considered to be the 1925 NFL championship game. The Maroons were only playing their first season in the fledgling National Football League, but they had already taken the league by storm, racking up a 9-2 record. The Chicago Cardinals were 9-1-1 heading into the showdown with the Maroons. At the time, the NFL did not have an official championship game. The 1925 championship was simply awarded to the team with the highest win percentage at the end of the season, and Pottsville was clearly the champion.

Despite finishing the 1925 season with the best record in the NFL, however, the small town of Pottsville was not awarded a league title. Because the Maroons scheduled an illegal game shortly after winning the title, the 1925 trophy went to the Chicago Cardinals, the second place team in the NFL. The controversy over this "stolen" crown is a major source of contention between Pennsylvania and the NFL to this day.

https://pabook.libraries.psu.edu/literary-cultural-heritage-map-pa/feature-articles/stolen-glory-pottsville-maroons

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to navigationJump to search

250px-Pottsville_Maroons_self-made_troph

The Maroons' trophy (carved out ofanthracite coal), made by surviving team members in 1964 and now in the Pro Football Hall of Fame[1]

The 1925 National Football League (NFL) Championship, claimed by the Chicago Cardinals, has long been the subject of controversy. The controversy centers on the suspension of the Pottsville Maroons by NFL commissioner Joseph Carr, which prevented them from taking the title.

The Maroons were one of the dominant teams of the 1925 season, and after defeating the Chicago Cardinals 21–7 on December 6, came away with the best record in the league. However, Carr suspended and removed the team from the NFL after they played an unauthorized exhibition game in Philadelphia, on the grounds that they had violated the territorial rights of the Frankford Yellow Jackets. Chicago played and won two more games against weak NFL opponents, but were sanctioned because a Chicago player, Art Folz, hired four Chicago high school football players to play for the Milwaukee Badgers under assumed names to ensure a Cardinals victory.

Pottsville supporters argue that the suspension was illegitimate because the League did not then grant exclusive territory rights and that, in any event, they had verbal League approval to play the game in Philadelphia. Further, they argue that the Maroons, who were reinstated the next year, would have had the best record had they not been suspended. Others claim that Chicago was the legitimate champion based on the rules of the time. In 1963, the NFL investigated and rejected Pottsville's case, and in 2003 refused to reopen the case. Both the NFL and the Pro Football Hall of Fame continue to list the Cardinals as the 1925 NFL champions.[2][3]

Helpful Hints.....I will line out the wrong guesses so far, and highlight the correct.  I will also give you St. Louis as you all know they had a team until like 5 years ago. 

Name the 5 cities that never had a team:
Akron, Ohio;
Canton, Ohio
Columbus, Ohio
Dayton, Ohio
Duluth, Minn.
Erie PA
Evansville, Indiana
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
Hammond, Indiana
Hartford, Conn.
Kenosha, Wisc.
Louisville KY
Mansfield, Ohio
Massillon, Ohio
Muncie, Ind.
Newark, NJ
Portsmouth, Ohio
Pottstown PA
Pottsville PA
Providence, Rhode Island
Racine, Wisc.
Rochester NY
Rock Island, Illinois
St. Louis, Missouri
South Bend, Indiana
Staten Island NY
Toledo, Ohio
Tonawanda NY
Youngstown, Ohio

1 hour ago, Icecube said:

VA Beach  #2

Richmond VA

Hartford...#6

Birmingham....#8

Grand Rapids....#7

Rochester 

Tuscan

Fresno....#9

Tusla

Urban Honolulu 

You got half of them....highlighted above with their rank.  

Rochester is #13 on the list; Tulsa is #17 and Tuscon #18,   Richmond is way way down the list...so far I didn't even count. And Honolulu is not on either of the lists I consulted....so I don't know what the issue is there. 

42 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Austin   #1

No on Omaha..it comes in at #23 on the list. 

Still have 4 of the Top Ten to go.  I think some of these may surprise you. 

Austin & surrounding area has grown so much they are way overdue for a major sports franchise.

How about Baton Rouge?

You jumped the gun on the merge.  I was still giving time to this one....but, OK  I will give the answers:

Name the 5 cities that never had a team:
Akron, Ohio;
Canton, Ohio
Columbus, Ohio
Dayton, Ohio
Duluth, Minn.
Erie PA
Evansville, Indiana
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
Hammond, Indiana
Hartford, Conn.
Kenosha, Wisc.
Louisville KY
Mansfield, Ohio
Massillon, Ohio
Muncie, Ind.
Newark, NJ
Portsmouth, Ohio
Pottstown PA
Pottsville PA
Providence, Rhode Island
Racine, Wisc.
Rochester NY
Rock Island, Illinois
St. Louis, Missouri
South Bend, Indiana
Staten Island NY
Toledo, Ohio
Tonawanda NY
Youngstown, Ohio

So, of the list:  Erie,  Pottstown, South Bend, Youngstown, and Massillon have never had an NFL team.   All the other cities did have one at one time. 

Additionally:   the Portsmouth Ohio franchise....known as the Spartans there is still with us now known as the Detroit Lions.   Some claim there is a lineage for the Indianapolis Colts going back to the Dayton Triangles...but I personally am not sure about that. 

12 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Portland has an NBA team.....the Trailblazers.  Doh!

I thought you were asking about Football Doh lol.. My bad..

Name the 10 Largest Metropolitan areas in the USA that do NOT have a team in one of the 4 major sports leagues:  NFL/MLB/NBA/NHL

Answers:

1. Austin  TX    2. Virginia Beach/Norfolk   3. Greensboro  NC   4. Louisville KY  5. Greeneville/Spartanburg  SC   6. Hartford  Conn.   7. Grand Rapids Mich.   8. Birmingham Ala.   9. Fresno CA   10.  Harrisburg Pa.    and 11 is   Ft. Myers/Naples  Fla. 

While I did not include the MLS.....which maybe in a few years will have to be included in what constitutes a "Major" sports league in the US and Canada......Austin  IS  scheduled to have an MLS expansion team begin play in 2021.   When that happens it will be the ONLY city with an MLS team but not a team in the other major sports. 

45 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Name the 10 Largest Metropolitan areas in the USA that do NOT have a team in one of the 4 major sports leagues:  NFL/MLB/NBA/NHL

Answers:

1. Austin  TX    2. Virginia Beach/Norfolk   3. Greensboro  NC   4. Louisville KY  5. Greeneville/Spartanburg  SC   6. Hartford  Conn.   7. Grand Rapids Mich.   8. Birmingham Ala.   9. Fresno CA   10.  Harrisburg Pa.    and 11 is   Ft. Myers/Naples  Fla. 

While I did not include the MLS.....which maybe in a few years will have to be included in what constitutes a "Major" sports league in the US and Canada......Austin  IS  scheduled to have an MLS expansion team begin play in 2021.   When that happens it will be the ONLY city with an MLS team but not a team in the other major sports. 

Soccer is big in the school system all around Austin & surrounding area, so that's a good move.

Trivia trick question: Who is the most famous soccer player ever to come out of the Central Texas High School system? Here's a hint. Someone still pays him after more than 20 years as a pro.

50 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Answers:

I think we are #10 ... Because Hartford had the Whalers.

Zombo

13 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Soccer is big in the school system all around Austin & surrounding area, so that's a good move.

Trivia trick question: Who is the most famous soccer player ever to come out of the Central Texas High School system? Here's a hint. Someone still pays him after more than 20 years as a pro.

Adam Vinatieri...or some other football kicker. 

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Vinatieri came from S.D. and is no longer employed in the NFL.  But you got kicker right. Keep trying.😁

Pete Gogolak....no, he went to Cornell I think.    Sean Landeta....but I don't think he is around any more...besides, he was a punter. 

Robbie Gould?