THE BROWNS BOARD

Time to stop the panic

The 24/7 coverage of the coronavirus has frightened much of the public. I am a news junkie and I only watch a fraction of the news today because of being burned out with the non stop coverage. I don't minimize the virus as it is more contagious and deadly than normal flu. I keep my hands clean and away from my face and spacing when possible and other common sense measures but other than that I try to live my life without fear of the virus just a healthy respect of the danger of the virus which we have no vaccine for at this time.

I know so many people who are panic stricken about the virus and feed on all the virus coverage on the news. For many people it will not be easy to turn the fear switch off.

I disagree with those seemingly minimizing the virus as a reason we should re-open the country back up. I have no doubt this is a nasty contagious virus that China has gifted the world. I think the reason we need to open the country back up is because we have no other choice or the cure will be worse than the virus but we need to keep our guard up as we open back the country.

9 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

So are you guys out there yet?

I never left. Some of us have businesses to run.

I just take the necessary precautions. And I've noticed street traffic is pretty much back to normal

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

So are you guys out there yet?

Out where? As soon as places are open I will go to them without fear. I take some precautions but mostly to ease the fears of the people around me.

You?

Sidebar

Speaking of panic and arbitrary rituals... I was in line at the grocery store yesterday and standing on one of the marked spots on the floor a good six feet from the lady ahead of me in line, and the cashier told me I had to stand behind that and that my card should be on that spot. Inwardly I rolled my eyes and step back. I remained very pleasant to her and the lady behind me wearing her mask. Got to the conveyor put my stuff on it it went down behind the plexiglass Shield and the cashier picked up each and every object and placed them into bags. Then place the bags into another cart that the person before me had left behind. By the way the cashier that scolded me about standing where I was standing wasn't wearing a mask. By the way the credit card machine had been placed on at the end  do you still have to pick up the plastic pen to tap the accept  and the okay  on the touch screen. So I guess my point to this story is people just love to perform little rituals pretending that they actually make a difference. I'm sure the rules that govern our comes up with on Monday who be equally as effective.

PS maybe one in five people are wearing a mask and almost everyone in the store was within inches of the produce as they passed by.

WSS

Unfortunately the human condition is such that the lens we view the world through is self-centered.  I’m a perfectly healthy 44 year old with little or no concern if I get it.  The problem is my 85 year old father in law with heart and lung problems.  If he gets it that probably means he will die.  So I have concerns about the spread that many may not.  Be safe everyone.

• Upvote 2

At some point the resources will run out, products won't be built food won't be grown etc...so all that's left is a government check that's worthless because nothing has been made to buy. 

4 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

Out where? As soon as places are open I will go to them without fear. I take some precautions but mostly to ease the fears of the people around me.

You?

Sidebar

Speaking of panic and arbitrary rituals... I was in line at the grocery store yesterday and standing on one of the marked spots on the floor a good six feet from the lady ahead of me in line, and the cashier told me I had to stand behind that and that my card should be on that spot. Inwardly I rolled my eyes and step back. I remained very pleasant to her and the lady behind me wearing her mask. Got to the conveyor put my stuff on it it went down behind the plexiglass Shield and the cashier picked up each and every object and placed them into bags. Then place the bags into another cart that the person before me had left behind. By the way the cashier that scolded me about standing where I was standing wasn't wearing a mask. By the way the credit card machine had been placed on at the end  do you still have to pick up the plastic pen to tap the accept  and the okay  on the touch screen. So I guess my point to this story is people just love to perform little rituals pretending that they actually make a difference. I'm sure the rules that govern our comes up with on Monday who be equally as effective.

PS maybe one in five people are wearing a mask and almost everyone in the store was within inches of the produce as they passed by.

WSS

Jambalaya! (Seinfeld - Soup Nazi Episode) GIF | Gfycat