THE BROWNS BOARD

Season opt out

ballpeen

The Browns gave season ticket holders the opportunity to opt out of this season.  I chose that option, so no Browns games for me this year.  Kind of sad.  I have been making the 600 mile trek 6-7 time a year since 04, and usually 3 times since our return.  The up side is my 2021 tickets are now paid in full, so assuming I make it that far, it will seem like a free season.

I know we have several season ticket holders on the board.  What are you guys doing?  Holding or opting out?

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, ballpeen said:

The Browns gave season ticket holders the opportunity to opt out of this season.  I chose that option, so no Browns games for me this year.  Kind of sad.  I have been making the 600 mile trek 6-7 time a year since 04, and usually 3 times since our return.  The up side is my 2021 tickets are now paid in full, so assuming I make it that far, it will seem like a free season.

I know we have several season ticket holders on the board.  What are you guys doing?  Holding or opting out?

I see no reason to rush into the decision since they did not give us a deadline. If I can't have 8 games or if they tell us we can't tailgate then the decision to opt out will be quick.

We'll see how the actual 2020 season goes compared to the plans.  I can see why some people will choose the opt out in Cleveland and even with the reduced seating in Pittsburgh.

The NFL so far:
What date does NFL season start?  Thu, Sep 10, 2020 – Sun, Jan 3, 20212020 NFL season/Date  More results

How many games are in a 2020 NFL season? 256 games  2020 NFL schedule: Date and time for all 256 games in 2020 NFL season, including Texans-Chiefs opener. For months now, we have known who each NFL team will be playing in the 2020 season.May 7, 2020

The 2020 NFL Preseason Schedule has reportedly been shortened to two games and will now kick off on Thursday, August 20. The second and final preseason week will begin on Thursday, Aug. 27.

The 2020 NFL/Hall of Fame Game in Canton, Ohio, between Dallas and Pittsburgh has been canceled due to COVID-19. The Cowboys and Steelers will play in the preseason contest in 2021.

4 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I'm starting to think it will be somewhat of a surprise if the season gets played, fans in the stands or not. 

I'll go on record as saying I believe high school will be the first to announce nation wide postponements, followed by the NCAA and then the NFL.

I don't see a world in which there is a single snap in 2020 for any of them. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, D Bone said:

I'll go on record as saying I believe high school will be the first to announce nation wide postponements, followed by the NCAA and then the NFL.

Right now high school is questionable like college talking about in conference only but if the kids don't go to class for whatever reason scratch sports. 

Professional football I wouldn't give you any odds that they finish a full season.

I think it would be wise to opt out.

Personally, I think you're half crazy for driving 6 or 700 miles multiple times a year to see the Browns play.  But I admire your commitment to being half crazy.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

In case you're curious the opening day NFL lines are up, from Vegasinsider.com 

Screenshot_2020-07-10_190322.jpg

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

Just because they start, doesn't mean they finish. 

play only conference & division games on schedule..If State shuts you down? find another or swap venues.. 6 in each get in 💪.. less travel, less games..but enough

9 hours ago, Orion said:

I think it would be wise to opt out.

Personally, I think you're half crazy for driving 6 or 700 miles multiple times a year to see the Browns play.  But I admire your commitment to being half crazy.

I understand.  Sometimes I wonder myself, but it is what I do.  I enjoy going to Cleveland and watching games.  I drive up singing the Sinatra tune High Hopes.  I drive back cussing in combinations never before heard.  lol

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Just because they start, doesn't mean they finish. 

That is my feeling.  This thing is spiking again.

How do you play any kind of a season if some team is missing 5 key players?  For that matter, if a few players on a team come down, wouldn't the whole team have to isolate for 2 weeks?  How do you handle that?  There is no real way to make up games.  If a  QB comes down with COVID, the whole QB room would have to isolate.  Now the team doesn't have any QB's on game day.  I think it folly to think this season will happen.  In baseball you are seeing players opt out.  How many NFL players will opt out? I know we all want the games to go on, it just isn't safe.  

Until we put a lid on this virus, it isn't going to happen.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, ballpeen said:

Our 2020 tickets are paid in full. I am no gambler but, if I were, I'd be betting on an increase in 2021.

Mike

I'm opting out too. 

First, I don't think it will be much fun without 70,000 people there. 

Secondly, I can handle wearing a mask for a quick shopping trip but not for a 3 hour game.

Maybe if there is a  season, we still tailgate and listen on the radio in the flats. I tend to think they won't play.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

Our 2020 tickets are paid in full. I am no gambler but, if I were, I'd be betting on an increase in 2021.

Mike

It's inevitable. Since I'm on the Auto Renew, payments would just start up again on 9/1 so might as well just let it ride.

1 hour ago, Unsympathetic said:

I've done a 2-hour sprint workout without removing a buff.. water thru a long straw from the bottom.  not bad at all, no airflow loss.  Not good times, just not bad..

I had my fill of masks from my FD career. That was only about 20 minutes an scba tank though lol.

14 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

Mike

I thought of that.  

First, I don't see a price increase headed off a no game season.

If so, Ok, I'll owe a few hundred dollars.

13 hours ago, Bob806 said:

through KentuckyI'm opting out too. 

First, I don't think it will be much fun without 70,000 people there. 

Secondly, I can handle wearing a mask for a quick shopping trip but not for a 3 hour game.

Maybe if there is a  season, we still tailgate and listen on the radio in the flats. I tend to think they won't play.

Kind of my feeling.  If they do play, I have told my wife we will go up for a few games.  Just to have a bit of normal.  I may not tailgate.  I have been doing less of that the last few years.  I tend to just go to a restaurant more to have brunch, then head to the stadium.  

I will still want to go up....I grew up there.  We have restaurants we like.  Even if simply watching the game in the hotel room,  I'll feel some normality in the process.  Who doesn't like to take a 600 mile road trip?  For years I have told my wife we need to travel through Amish country.  This will be a good year to do that.  She just retired so we won't be in any hurry to get back and can start a day early.  Two days early.  I always go straight up I-75 through Kentucky to Cincy, then 71 north.  I have always wanted to go east out of Knoxville on I 40 to I 77 through Johnson City..  Go up through Virginia and West Virginia. It adds about 80 miles to the trip, but that is what you do when you aren't on the time clock.  If played, it won't be a totally lost season.  I have always been pretty good at turning lemons in to lemonade.

• Upvote 1

On 7/10/2020 at 6:45 PM, D Bone said:

I'm seeing it through the same lens as you, Bob, Ballpeen and Dutch.  I feel horrible for the high school kids most of all.  I'm not just talking about the kids that play football; but the kids that enjoy going to the games, the kids in the band, the cheerleaders and the community as a whole.  At least in college they can red shirt a season.

As for the NFL, I've already come to grips with the reality unfolding.  Today, Florida had 15,000 new cases and the brains in charge of this state had already decided "this is an ideal day to re-open Disney."   Geee, why stop there?  How about encouraging people to play Twister on the beaches next week?  

How did South Korea make it look so easy?  Wait a second Thomas Dolby has an idea...

14 hours ago, ballpeen said:

S Korea made it look easy because they have a sense or order and community that we lack.  It's about others.  Not about "me"

Americans, on the other hand, apparently think the movie 'Idiocracy' is a "How-To" instructional video. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, ballpeen said:

S Korea made it look easy because they have a sense or order and community that we lack.  It's about others.  Not about "me"

Great answer!  Their leaderships had a plan derived from science.  It worked. 

A little slow replying in this thread, but we opted out on our season tickets also.  Pretty easy decision on our part. I would have no interest going to a game with the current virus situation, and my pal has had a couple heart surgeries that make him super high risk....  At least we won't have to worry about forking over a big chunk of change next spring. 

I have a feeling in the ever more unlikely event they play some games, the season ticket holders who opted out will have first crack at individual games... Not that I have much empathy for them, but I have to wonder what the folks who have luxury boxes are going to do? That has to be the safest place by far to watch a game.

A possible interesting situation: It's not unreasonable that there may be a vaccine ready for manufacture by September. The U.S. Government has invested with several of the leading companies/partnerships for manufacturing rights. If Trump is trailing Biden by similar numbers or worse than he is today,  I can see him directing the first manufactured batch for the NFL. He will get plenty of criticism but at that point he will have nothing to lose and may think that this may get him more popular and votes. The NFL, of course, would love for that to happen and, assuming that the players agree to be the first guinea pigs to the mass-produced vaccine, this might save their season.

The odds of this happening is low but I would think that this scenario is being discussed by both parties. Imo the season won't happen.

On 7/12/2020 at 5:25 PM, Flugel said:

Today, Florida had 15,000 new cases

Mrs. Wife just reported that Florida is claiming that they've been reporting ALL tests as positive.  My response to her, "You'd think that by now they'd be able to do the job(s) right."  It seems like from President Jackass on down, everyone has fucked up this pandemic.

Tretter & Richard Sherman agree on one thing..the Player's safety comes first.. JJ Watt took one look at The Oakley visor & posted "I ain't playing in that"... I think you will or your not playing? Anybody doubt some will be able to play with no* mouth visor? If they protect? I don't see even signing off on something like that..🤔.. 14 days till Camps Open..  tick. tock.

On 7/10/2020 at 1:27 PM, TopDawg31 said:

I see no reason to rush into the decision since they did not give us a deadline. If I can't have 8 games or if they tell us we can't tailgate then the decision to opt out will be quick.

I think the tailgating will be crushed.  I don't see how you can allow that if distancing mandates are in place.  We have recently opened things up and the numbers are trending upwards again.  This thing is on our ass and it isn't going away any time soon.  I am beginning to wonder if we have a 2021 season let alone this season.  Never know, sports might be dead for a long time.  The black plague gripped Europe and Asia for 5-6 years.  This might do the same.  To me, the thought we find a vaccine by summers end is foolish.

I know we are putting this on speed dial, but you still need to run trials.  You can't hurry that.  You have to follow proven scientific method.  You can't just start inoculating tens of millions of people with something that might have serious long term consequences.  

• Upvote 2