THE BROWNS BOARD

Thoughts on the scrimmage game

DeadWombat

I was hopeful that DA would have drastically improved by now but from what i have seen and read he is pretty much the exact same DA even under only semi-pressure situations...a big disappointment..

BQ after 3 years of benchrot i would expect him to still be shaking off the rust of never fully developing at nfl speed it seems to me that quinn is about where he should be but its still a disappointment that he hasnt been able to step it up and clearly take the lead for the starting job...

It may come down to if mangini prefers a guy that appears to be pretty much at the end of his development and a high risk gambler that can win it or lose it in one pass/discision...

Or a high risk 3 year benchrot rookie that never got the opportunity to fully or correctly develop he may grow into the nfl fast and be our answer or he may not grow at all and be a flop...

Honestly im glad its not my call but im betting Quinn shakes off the rust and steps it up in the preseason to steal the starting job at the last second while DA looks like DA.. hot and cold from play to play...

Gips...I get your point and all...but technically isn't it only 2 years of benchrot on Quinn? This is only his 3rd season now.

Robo was on the white team with Quinn and had a few short catches, but none of them were spectacular. It was mostly him going wide, and catching a ball after a few steps for quick yardage. If you read the OP you'll see he did have some nice footwork from what I saw.

I thought it was interesting that Edwards was working primarily at the X, with Massoquoi at the Z. I don't know if that's a strategic move, or if Edwards is still working his way up the depth chart from missing early work.

I can say that giving a young receiver the chance to play off the ball helps. And Edwards is plenty physical enough to deal with the pressure. But, to your point, they played him over under all day... effectively removing him from the offense, until relatively late.

It may be something we see more of. It's actually a pretty smart move when you have such a separation in talent & experience between the #1 and #2 receiver. By putting Edwards on the weak side, the double coverage he commands, at the very least, removes a safety from the strong side of the field -- the free safety is shading Edwards forcing the strong safety off the ball. Because, even the "rookiest" receivers can beat zero coverage once in a while if you're not bringing the house.

It also forces a LB to cover the TE against base sets, which can be an advantage depending on which LB and which TE we're talking about. You should be able to run ZY combinations and rub routes against man coverage. And you could see a lot of over coverages on that strong side. Which is good for controlling the short passing game, and getting good blocking angles in the run/screen game.

It's interesting (to me at least), to play out the contingencies. Of course, if Edwards can't demonstrate that he needs to be doubled... well then you're in trouble.

-jj

RB's: Jamal didn't get many carries but looks completley washed up. He had no gains over 3 yards that I can remember, basically the same as last year. If we keep giving him carries it could be a long year. Harrison and Davis were both contained by the defense although they did catch a few nice screen passes. Noah Herron looked really good on that long TD Run but didn't see much of him other then that.

-Overall running gamed looked bad and there were several 3rd and 1's we should have run on but opted to throw the ball. I hated the short yardage playcalling

Thought the exact same thing about Jamal. He was tapdancing like never before. I don't even think Harrison looked very explosive. People have been jacked about Davis, but I'm waiting until real games come around to make an opinion of him. I remember many people commenting on his highlight video that he went down at the first sight of contact. Might be a guy who looks good in practice but doesn't have the physical mindset to do it in live action. Our running backs can be a huge problem this year. I actually thought Noah Herron was the most explosive looking guy yesterday.

Then again, the O-Line blew. DA was certainly not getting a lot of time. Ratliff made it work, however. And I believe Ratliff was the one who brought the team the length of the field before DA took over and took the glory on a 7 yard td run.

Another thing that stood out yesterday was more disguising of coverages. Saw safeties coming up then dropping back, and many players moving around. I even saw Wimbley back in Saftey position on one 3rd and Long, I believe. He'd be blitzing 100% of the time on 3rd and Long under RAC.

I think James Davis becomes our starting tailback at some point during this season.

This is the kind of stuff I want to hear about our young players like James Davis, Mo Mass, Rucker, Leggett, etc. I think Robo and Mack will come along just fine too. Poor Mack has been the chosen one to deal with Shaun Rogers most of the time but that's GOTTA make him better for game day.

- Tom F.

I think James Davis becomes our starting tailback at some point during this season.

That's silly at best. The guy has never played a down in a preseason game and you are judging Lewis and him on a tag football scrimage. I think that's a big overhype.

Sorry, he needs to prove it to me on the field. the reason he lost carries at Clemson last year was that he got knocked off his feet too easily.

Before we get his bust ready for Canton, he should show us he can make plays when guys are really tackling.

Also, guys saying Lewis looked bad is funnier then hell when they are playing "not taking the guy to the ground" tag football. Yea, he must be done because he couldn't elude those guys touching his pads to call him down.

Archived