THE BROWNS BOARD

Steelers Lose - Playoff Implications

onkyoreceiver

3 hours ago, Vagitron said:

It's randy our oc. It has shit to do with munchak leaving. Decastro is also markedly worse im the run game to the point that I think he's still hurt. It is what it is, they played terribly and lost. Randy also can't be calling stretch plays with a north/south banger in Connor. (Same with snell who played today)

Randy called a draw on 3 and 10 today on our side of the field. It's inexcusable. 

Well, it is either a draw, or one of those 3 yard dinks that he calls up. 

5 hours ago, Vagitron said:

It's randy our oc. It has shit to do with munchak leaving. Decastro is also markedly worse im the run game to the point that I think he's still hurt. It is what it is, they played terribly and lost. Randy also can't be calling stretch plays with a north/south banger in Connor. (Same with snell who played today)

Randy called a draw on 3 and 10 today on our side of the field. It's inexcusable. 

I saw that interesting stat during the game Ben's completion% on passes of 20+ yards is pretty lousy. Blame that on drops- I know you can... :)   

Im so glad to see the Steelers lose finally. And their up coming games are very much possible losses to Indy, and Buffalo. And that would give us a chance to possibly win the divison if we continue to win and we of course beat them in the last game of the season.

• Upvote 3

Final thoughts...

1. I wonder if the Steelers got caught looking ahead a lil... they face BUF this week.
  2. Saw a couple ESPN discussions with Ryan Clark (a pretty good analyst IMO) and he said the issue with the Steelers is "they can't run the ball"... so there's that.
  3. If you throw 53 times in a game, it's not rocket science to figure there are gonna be some drops.
  4. Some of the drops were on less catchable throws than others. Top example had to be what was described as a back-shoulder(?) throw to McFadden on 4th and 1. If that was Ben's intent, then it was a poor throw too high and wide; if not, then it was a bad adjustment by McFadden. But how reasonable is it to expect a WR-quality adjustment by a "3rd-string RB with 5 catches in his career"? Personally I think Ben was throwing over McF's outside shoulder requiring him to turn outside, not around... and that's an adjustment that takes a lot of experience.

1 minute ago, Tour2ma said:

Final thoughts...

1. I wonder if the Steelers got caught looking ahead a lil... they face BUF this week.

Man the Bills look good. All phases. 

1 hour ago, D Bone said:

Except their ground game is weak as is run D.... that's their Achilles heel or heels. Mostert averaged 4.7 on 9 carries and Wilson 6.7 on 7. Game situation took them out of the game. For Bills Singletary averaged 3.4 and Moss 3.0.

Makes for an interesting match-up with PTG this week. PTG game should turn on who can effectively pressure opposing QB. Tougher job for PTG as they have to rush under control or Allen will take off, but it's a job they have to do. Give Allen time and he's plenty good enough now to gouge a D, but under pressure he will revert to his WTF form.

• Upvote 1

One more final thought: Steelers' pass D really seemed to suffer after Haden left game with a concussion.

Not sure why unless DC had 2ndary shading towards his replacement as WSH really went to work on its right-side short and left-side middling to deep.

12 hours ago, hoorta said:

I saw that interesting stat during the game Ben's completion% on passes of 20+ yards is pretty lousy. Blame that on drops- I know you can... :)   

They lead the league in drops by 10 as it stands right now. The drops last night are the most they have had in a long time. Ben over 20+ is because of drops but he definitely hasn't been perfect and he owns that like he did last night post game. It is what it is but our OC sucks and our guys (not everyone) are dropping the ball. 

Tomlin said last night if you can't gain a yard (goal line failure) you don't deserve to win the game. Frankly I'm glad they lost before a possible wake up call is too late. People sleeping on Washington also aren't paying attention. Massively underrated defense and Smith is playing well. The Steelers deserved to lose and drops aren't an excuse, it's a failure to execute. 

2 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

One more final thought: Steelers' pass D really seemed to suffer after Haden left game with a concussion.

Not sure why unless DC had 2ndary shading towards his replacement as WSH really went to work on its right-side short and left-side middling to deep.

Well that would be because Haden is a beast you cut entirely too soon. We were also down Steven Nelson so while Sutton is very solid, Justin Layne is still a little raw. 

3 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Final thoughts...

2. Saw a couple ESPN discussions with Ryan Clark (a pretty good analyst IMO) and he said the issue with the Steelers is "they can't run the ball"... so there's that.
  3. If you throw 53 times in a game, it's not rocket science to figure there are gonna be some drops.
  4. Some of the drops were on less catchable throws than others. Top example had to be what was described as a back-shoulder(?) throw to McFadden on 4th and 1. If that was Ben's intent, then it was a poor throw too high and wide; if not, then it was a bad adjustment by McFadden. But how reasonable is it to expect a WR-quality adjustment by a "3rd-string RB with 5 catches in his career"? Personally I think Ben was throwing over McF's outside shoulder requiring him to turn outside, not around... and that's an adjustment that takes a lot of experience.

Admittedly I missed most of the game but the Bud Dupree loss has to sting - Alex Smith looked like he had good numbers 

3 hours ago, D Bone said:

Cal can take a bow- Allen's accuracy has improved by orders of magnitude since his college days. There was never any question he could throw the ball out of the stadium on demand. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Vagitron said:

Well that would be because Haden is a beast you cut entirely too soon. We were also down Steven Nelson so while Sutton is very solid, Justin Layne is still a little raw. 

If he is/was a beast for you....then he was a complete slacker for two years for us....because he really truly played poorly, like he was done.   Or, I don't know, he may have been suffering from a 3 year injury which he finally overcame.    

1 hour ago, SdBacker80 said:

Admittedly I missed most of the game but the Bud Dupree loss has to sting - Alex Smith looked like he had good numbers 

Dialing up pressure was not one of the Steeler D's issues, but certainly Dupree would have been a plus for them.

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

If he is/was a beast for you....then he was a complete slacker for two years for us....because he really truly played poorly, like he was done.   Or, I don't know, he may have been suffering from a 3 year injury which he finally overcame.    

Or its the culture change.  He's been terrific for us. 

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Or maybe he's doing roids... It wouldn't surprise me one bit...

5 hours ago, Vagitron said:

Your depth of analysis is breathtaking.... almost on par with Gipper's Slacker jab...

Haden was injured and missed 11 games in 2015, his next to last season with us, and then missed 3 in 2016. I don't recall the 2015 injury.... thinking it was knee, but not sure... but IIRC in 2016 two separate concussions cost him one and then another two starts.. He simply was not the same player we made one of the highest paid CBs in the league after his rookie deal which he paid off with back-to-back Pro Bowls.

Then he basically took the same offer from you that we'd made to him and missed 5 games in his first year with you. He was pretty ordinary that year. But he has regained a nice chunk of his early form... good for Joe... and he saved himself a lot of heartache by moving on.

Even got to taste the playoffs the last time you made them... in 2017... your one-and-done at JAX.

You could not have done it without him...

53 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Your depth of analysis is breathtaking.... almost on par with Gipper's Slacker jab...

Except of course, I am the one that pointed out that it may have been 3 years of injury issues with him as an explanation.

So, maybe the only slacker here is you because you fail to either pay attention or you are just oblivious at times. 

Haden was injured and missed 11 games in 2015, his next to last season with us, and then missed 3 in 2016. I don't recall the 2015 injury.... thinking it was knee, but not sure... but IIRC in 2016 two separate concussions cost him one and then another two starts.. He simply was not the same player we made one of the highest paid CBs in the league after his rookie deal which he paid off with back-to-back Pro Bowls.

Then he basically took the same offer from you that we'd made to him and missed 5 games in his first year with you. He was pretty ordinary that year. But he has regained a nice chunk of his early form... good for Joe... and he saved himself a lot of heartache by moving on.

Even got to taste the playoffs the last time you made them... in 2017... your one-and-done at JAX.

You could not have done it without him...

Just now, Dutch Oven said:

I've got to give Browns fans credit... no matter how many times the Steelers beat the ever-loving shit out of us, they'll still try and talk shit to their fans. 😁

Well....as badly as the Browns have been mismatched against the Steelers over the last number of years,  their fans have equally been mismatched against us. 

1 minute ago, The Gipper said:

Well....as badly as the Browns have been mismatched against the Steelers over the last number of years,  their fans have equally been mismatched against us. 

You really believe this, don't you? 

Bless your heart. 

• Haha 3

31 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

You really believe this, don't you? 

Bless your heart. 

Somewhat....at least I believe it about the ones that show their faces here occasionally. 

My view is that it is NOT  when your team is going very well over a long period of time that is the test of a fan base....but how that fan base reacts to a sustained period of losing that tests their metal.  

Fair to say. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/8/2020 at 9:44 PM, The Gipper said:

You really like tooting that little kazoo don't you gipper?  You don't bother me, I can also say with a great deal of confidence you have never "put me in my place" or made me reevaluate a position.  If I ever stop responding or choose not to engage it is ONLY because i don't care for the run around anymore.  You don't own anyone, you sure as shit have never owned me and the hivemind here only goes so far.  You aren't the board celebrity you think you are and I get a kick out of it. Thanks for the laughs old man river. 

16 minutes ago, Vagitron said:

You really like tooting that little kazoo don't you gipper?  You don't bother me, I can also say with a great deal of confidence you have never "put me in my place" or made me reevaluate a position.  If I ever stop responding or choose not to engage it is ONLY because i don't care for the run around anymore.  You don't own anyone, you sure as shit have never owned me and the hivemind here only goes so far.  You aren't the board celebrity you think you are and I get a kick out of it. Thanks for the laughs old man river. 

You're not taken seriously over here. No one really gives a fuck about you.🤣

29 minutes ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

You're not taken seriously over here. No one really gives a fuck about you.🤣

You know what I think you should do? You should get yourself banned again and when you get suspended you should cry to come back, again.  I talk to several people privately on this board and get what i want and need from it.  I don't give a single damn about you or any of the other regular mouth breathers.  Go take a walk. 

1 minute ago, Tour2ma said:

I learned a new word tonite...

It's a good one, lots of it on Reddit.  People get a mindset and pile on and it doesn't matter if  that mindset is right or wrong as long as you fit in with the hive. A good example is gipper who foams at the mouth and acts like he rules the roost.  The other chicken shits show up and bang the drum. 

HIVEMIND