THE BROWNS BOARD

The Defense Played Best Game vs Titans

Frenchie

Forget the garbage/lucky/ref-aided comeback in the second-half, Shout-out to our defensive (who are missing 4 starting players in the backfield). I thought they played very physical ball against a tough team, made turnovers, sacks, missed few tackles or assignments, and shutdown the run with 8 men in the box. Refs were blind to constant holding by the Titans line and made other questionable calls against the defense. Did you see it the same way? Is the D peaking at the right time?  Can’t wait for Delpit, Harrison, Ward and Williams to play next year. I thought upgrading the defense in the offseason would be easy but I’m seeing a more talented group emerge. Let’s see how they handle the Ravens this week.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 5

Sendejo lead the team with 8 combined tackles.  Yes, they played hard.  The offense screwed them in the 2nd half with penalties killing drives before they could even get started.

If you had a dog, I'd bet it'd be a frenchie.

11 hours ago, Frenchie said:

Can’t wait for Delpit, Harrison, Ward and Williams to play next year. I thought upgrading the defense in the offseason would be easy but I’m seeing a more talented group emerge. 

I’d add Jacob Phillips to that list. Seems like he’s been dinged up most of the season, but when #50 is on the field he’s always around the ball. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Frenchie said:

Forget the garbage/lucky/ref-aided comeback in the second-half, Shout-out to our defensive (who are missing 4 starting players in the backfield). I thought they played very physical ball against a tough team, made turnovers, sacks, missed few tackles or assignments, and shutdown the run with 8 men in the box. Refs were blind to constant holding by the Titans line and made other questionable calls against the defense. Did you see it the same way? Is the D peaking at the right time?  Can’t wait for Delpit, Harrison, Ward and Williams to play next year. I thought upgrading the defense in the offseason would be easy but I’m seeing a more talented group emerge. Let’s see how they handle the Ravens this week.

While I agree the Defense played really well.  For instance, The interior pressure that has been missing (moving the LOS) back at the snap of the ball - very present last week.  Plays were made in coverage (minus the second half cushion).  The consistency doing these things each week needs to start Monday night.  So we will see.

I’m excited to see a guy like Delpit too but We need an overhaul this offseason on defense.  At different points of the year we have all seen areas of need first hand.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Frenchie said:

OK - don’t leave us hanging. How would you use draft choices and FA’s to upgrade the defense. Who’s out?

Half of our starting DL is set to hit free agency after this year. Vernon and Ogunjobi. Before l started writing this l thought Richardson was a FA next year too, but he’s on the hook for 11 something mil next year. He’s been our most consistent DT imo, so that’s good.

So clearly some resources have to go his way. It would be nice to resign ‘jobi. Not sure anyone would be too sad to say farewell to Vernon, but he has had his shining moments. 

It’ll be interesting to see how this new salary cap thing and covid affect free agency next year. The covid effect has really done a number on baseball with a lot of players getting non-tendered. 

19 hours ago, Frenchie said:

OK - don’t leave us hanging. How would you use draft choices and FA’s to upgrade the defense. Who’s out?

It'd take a lot of work to answer that short question well.

Well, I’d start with moving on from Vernon and getting another stud pass rusher in either FA but preferably the 1st round of the draft. 2nd rounder has to be a Safety as a replacement for Sendejo. I’m not a fan of Redwine, so an upgrade would also be in the cards.

On 12/10/2020 at 12:31 PM, alporcini said:

I’d add Jacob Phillips to that list. Seems like he’s been dinged up most of the season, but when #50 is on the field he’s always around the ball. 

We have somewhat of an LSU injury jinx working here with Delpit, Greedy, OBJ, and Phillips.  Even Jarvis Landry had off-season surgery on his hip which definitely impacted his numbers the first half of the year.  We can add a side order ribs to that (as in broken ribs), which he played through.  

When it comes to predicting outcomes - I'm as Nostradumbass as it gets.  This year's outspoken prophecy by me with COVID was "This season ain't going past week 5.  Book it!"  While I was wrong as usual, I returned to the mentality of way back when I played and coached in BC (Before Cellphones).  1 week at a time; and if this team prepares like they should - there's no reason we can't have fun with a lil kickoff and kickass!   What's not fun about running it down the opponent's esophagus for some 9-3 football?    

You guys think Greedy will ever really make a difference? I didn't think he played well last year, looked scared to make a tackle. I hope I'm wrong on him, but I just don't know if he's "hungry."

15 minutes ago, Bob806 said:

You guys think Greedy will ever really make a difference? I didn't think he played well last year, looked scared to make a tackle. I hope I'm wrong on him, but I just don't know if he's "hungry."

I actually thought he stuck his nose in quite a bit when making tackles....moreso than it was advertised that he liked to. .

16 hours ago, Frenchie said:

Well, I’d start with moving on from Vernon and getting another stud pass rusher in either FA but preferably the 1st round of the draft. 2nd rounder has to be a Safety as a replacement for Sendejo. I’m not a fan of Redwine, so an upgrade would also be in the cards.

Sendejo is playing in place of Grant Delpit.... they aren't picking FS that high again unless Delpit's leg falls off or something. I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see Sendejo on the roster at next year....

I feel like LBer might be the biggest need. The best LB on the team is 31 and was picked up on the curb at the end of August.  Our best run stuffer is Taki Taki..... that's pretty scary. It's a good thing they played in a Monsoon and a wind tunnel for two games.  The LB core going into the season was ranked last in the league. I know some of their numbers are up in the top half of the league, but I refer back to the two wind tunnel games and the monsoon. 

No way Micah Parsons falls to us....  but that would be awesome.... 

We will see how they hold up after playing Lamar this week. It might get ugly. 

They will need a new pass rusher too..... Wish they could have gotten Takk McKinley to stash for next year.

They could take defense in the entire draft if they wanted too. Seeing if they can find a big strong D.K. Metcalf type of WR to mix in wouldn't hurt my feelings either....

19 hours ago, Frenchie said:

moving on from Vernon

Nope. He is far, far better than anything we'll be able to get in FA.  Too many draft needs to waste another high pick on an edge who can't match his run AND pass-rush D.  Rounds 4-7? Sure, take a BPA flier.. but not in the early rounds.  The reason we can't move on from Vernon is.. Neither Jordan Elliot nor Chad Thomas and now Ogunjobi are no longer serviceable.  We let Ogbah and Nassib leave.. and they're both better now than Elliot/Thomas/Ogun.  Even Genard Avery is doing better than our recent draft picks. 

Luckily we signed one of the top-10 DI FA's last offseason in Andrew Billings and we'll have him for the 2021 season.. he'll be great as a run-stuffer next to Richardson, because Ogun is now really only a situational sub at best.

Need 2xLB, 2xDB early.. and that takes us through round 3.. at which point just take the most athletic player on the board who we can develop as a backup/injury starter.

And if you want to know why our defense is not just Swiss cheese, it's more a Roquefort:

2016 - Ogbah [2], Nassib-Shon Coleman-Cody Kessler [3]. Ugh.
2015 - Cam Erving [1], Nate Orchard [2] - lol.
2014 - Gilbert/Manziel [1]. Ugh.
2013 - Mingo [1], McFadden [3] - the pick before Mathieu. Ugh.
2012 - T.Rich-Weeden [1], Schwartz [2]. Ugh.
2011 - Jabaal Sheard [2 - left without offering, first FA period]
2010 - Joe Haden - Ugh.

2 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

2016 - Ogbah [2], Nassib-Shon Coleman-Cody Kessler [3]. Ugh.
2015 - Cam Erving [1], Nate Orchard [2] - lol.
2014 - Gilbert/Manziel [1]. Ugh.
2013 - Mingo [1], McFadden [3] - the pick before Mathieu. Ugh.
2012 - T.Rich-Weeden [1], Schwartz [2]. Ugh.
2011 - Jabaal Sheard [2 - left without offering, first FA period]
2010 - Joe Haden - Ugh.

Man, that Ogbah trade still pisses me off. Dude has 8 sacks this year. Eric Murray isn't even on the team anymore.....

Guys like Vernon piss me off too. I feel like he's about to get his last pay day and mail in the rest of his career.  Hasn't played a full season since 2016... only made it to 10 games last year. Missed two already this season. Wish they could have taken his money, gave it to Joe and found someone else on the edge. 

On a side note....with Ward and Greedy on this team.... wish Berry would have sent the Bolts a for a 6th for King....