THE BROWNS BOARD

Vernon Ruptured Achilles

jiggins7919

If you asked me after the first month of the season, I would have said OV (Vernon) has to go. He's making big money and he wasn't producing. Fast forward to NOW, and he's been our best DE, even better than the covid stricken Myles Garrett in some games. Losing him for our playoff game is tear-jerking, but the question remains...what do we do with him? What do you guys think? 

I don’t know. He has shown up big in some games and been just a body in others.

The biggest issue with this whole defense is staying healthy and he isn’t the availability poster child....

Personally, I don’t think he is worth the money based on that alone, but it’s tough to find good pass rushers. 

tough one here.

50 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

No.

I don’t trust his health and there are too many other guys on that side of the ball in the same boat.  

I would clean house. I’d take a hard look at our coordinator too.  

Tough call - my hunch is, he didn't show up early on much. 

But later turned it on. We don't know the story behind that -  don't know if he was playing banged up early on...

but now he is toast for a while - out of the playoffs. That will change everything.

https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/news/olivier-vernon-suffers-ruptured-achilles

Olivier Vernon Suffers Ruptured Achilles, Which Devastates Browns On Multiple Fronts

An MRI has revealed that Cleveland Browns defensive end Olivier Vernon has suffered a ruptured Achilles' which not only ends his season, but raises questions about his future and the defensive end position for Browns next year.

I have felt all season that our DC has been brilliant - he just has a lack of talent out there for different reasons. And STILL made the PLAYOFFS ! He isn't going anywhere - been extremely successful elsewhere.

I’d be interested in keeping him, but just like a lot of things it comes down to the money. 

I think like a lot of players on the wrong side of 30 he has to be contemplating whether his next contract will be his last, and it’s hard to fault a guy for trying to cash in while he can. 

He actually restructured his contract before the start of last season to take less money, but to also make it guaranteed money. Here’s a link on that.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29423023/source-browns-de-vernon-restructures-contract-get-11-million-guaranteed-2020%3fplatform=amp

My guess is the Browns said, “we want you, but not for that much, but we’ll happily pay this much.” And from his perspective it was either sign it or get cut and face the open market amongst the uncertainty of covid. 

He obviously signed, and it was still a hefty payday at like 11 mil. Bottom line is l think money is going to be his main motivating factor and he’s going to go wherever the most guaranteed money is, and l have my doubts if the Browns will outbid the other 31 teams.

5 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

But later turned it on. We don't know the story behind that -  don't know if he was playing banged up early on...

but now he is toast for a while - out of the playoffs. That will change everything.

Olivier Vernon Suffers Ruptured Achilles, Which Devastates Browns On Multiple Fronts

An MRI has revealed that Cleveland Browns defensive end Olivier Vernon has suffered a ruptured Achilles' which not only ends his season, but raises questions about his future and the defensive end position for Browns next year.

I have felt all season that our DC has been brilliant - he just has a lack of talent out there for different reasons. And STILL made the PLAYOFFS ! He isn't going anywhere - been extremely successful elsewhere.

Oh damn. That’s a heartbreaker. 

thanks! and a healthy Get well to OV..

reading some of our player tweets on OV's injury, tells me that we got a strong-strong bonding room.. 💪 next man up! and i don't think Stef will be giving Pitt a clue whom to prepare for   

43 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

Terrible injury feel awful for the guy.

Now it’s a Big No on next year.

Why? Players come back from Achilles fairly quickly all the time.

Post surgery healing time is 6 to 8 weeks. Return to play can be as fast as 4 months.  Even at double that he makes training camp.

12 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

i don't think Stef will be giving Pitt a clue whom to prepare for

Not a lot of options, gum. Clayborn and Gustin are bascially going to rotate.

So much for putting MG on a pitch count...

8 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Not a lot of options, gum. Clayborn and Gustin are bascially going to rotate.

Second thoughts...

Since OV was standing up most of the time I guess we could work in a LB... but the biggest we have is Taki and I don't see him having the speed/strngth combo to be effective. Now if we  get Goodson back.... hmmmm... With Phillips looking as good as he did at the Mike, then I could see Goodson at LDE.

Another way to go would be to flex Richardson out to LDE. Again due to Taylor's showing Sunday, we might be able to do this... at least early... without hurting our IDL rotation.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Cameron Malveaux

Cameron Malveaux

DE  #59

Regular Season

WK Game Date OPP RESULT Total Solo AST SCK SFTY PDEF INT YDS AVG LNG TDS FF FR
12 11/29/2020 @Jaguars W 27 - 25 2 2 0 0   0           0  
11 11/22/2020 Eagles W 22 - 17 2 2 0 0   0           1

Yeah, Taylor went all beast/mode up front yesterday 👀  Saw lots of good youth growing up yesterday.... while I'm not sure why were not seeing this youngster getting more reps than Gustin? I'll trust that Wood's may think Malveaux can only be effective from Garrett's side maybe? but his production to snaps given seems really odd.. Your call Joe Woods  

Well that sucks ass. His been a beast the second half of the season. But to answer Jiggy's question I don't think he'll ever suit up in a Browns uniform again. This type of injury is career threatening and I've so many professionals across multiple sports, come back as a mere shell of themselves. And while Tour is technically right about the healing times for you and me to go back to our shitty day-jobs, it's a whole other thing to being playing a pro sport, at a very high level. Every basketball player I ever seen takes a minimum of a full calendar year off, if not longer, and I count on my one hand the amount people that have come back 100% from this and that's Dominique Wilkens, 2 soccer players my dad told me about, and maybe Kevin Durant. That's an extremely short list. Wish I had a better more positive take on this, but his on the wrong side of 30, and treatment for this hasn't progressed as quickly like say an ACL. Terrible, Terrible news.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Why? Players come back from Achilles fairly quickly all the time.

Post surgery healing time is 6 to 8 weeks. Return to play can be as fast as 4 months.  Even at double that he makes training camp.

He’s 30...It is a tough injury...along with other tough injuries he’s dealt with...and we have a choice on whether he comes back or not with no financial ramifications if we cut ties.  That’s where my heads at.  

Does he want to come back on a prove it type deal - incentive type deal-  okay I give him a shot in 2021. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

He’s 30...It is a tough injury...along with other tough injuries he’s dealt with...and we have a choice on whether he comes back or not with no financial ramifications if we cut ties.  That’s where my heads at.  

Does he want to come back on a prove it type deal - incentive type deal-  okay I give him a shot in 2021. 

Point taken... it is his first major injury (see below) so hard to predict how he'll react.

I'd go incentive laden one-deal deal with a mutual option.

Olivier Vernon Injury History

Date League Injury Details
Oct 11, 2020 NFL Inguinal Groin Pull Grade 1 Vernon picked up the groin injury during the Week 5 win over the Colts. He was active for the next game
Sep 16, 2020 NFL Abdomen Muscle Strain Grade 2 Vernon practiced on a limited basis ahead of Week 2 game against the Bengals. He missed two games due to an abdomen injury.
Dec 4, 2019 NFL Knee MCL Sprain Grade 2 Vernon was limited in practice both Wednesday and Thursday before getting scratched for Friday's session and missed the week 14 game. He was inactive until the season finale game
Nov 3, 2019 NFL Knee MCL Sprain Grade 2 Vernon suffered a knee injury late in the action Week 9 at Denver. He was ruled out for 3 games
Aug 26, 2018 NFL Pedal Ankle (high) Sprain Grade 3 Vernon also suffered a deep bruise to his left ankle. He missed the first 5 games.
Aug 26, 2018 NFL Pedal Ankle Bruise Vernon went down in practice and was carted off.
Oct 1, 2017 NFL Pedal Ankle Sprain Grade 2  
Sep 13, 2015 NFL Pedal Ankle Sprain Grade 2  

3 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

The D ended up right in the middle in rankings (16th). That isn't bad considering how many holes they had at LB and DB. Next year will most likely have upgrades in both units. They will focus on LB/DB heavy in the draft and add a few FAs as well.  

25 minutes ago, Icecube said:

The D ended up right in the middle in rankings (16th). That isn't bad considering how many holes they had at LB and DB. Next year will most likely have upgrades in both units. They will focus on LB/DB heavy in the draft and add a few FAs as well.  

I agree - S/CB/LB....

and it's a nicer deeper draft for DE's than I thought at first - NOTE  - Tyreke Smith, Ohio State. I think that would be a fine pick, Hopefully about the 4th round

https://www.walterfootball.com/draft2021DE.php

Vernon is going to be a big blow because he has picked up the slack from Myles as Myles still is having post covid issues. So Myles will need to up his game. Clayborn I think is the best next option and needs to play well. I did see him get some pressures last game. If we get Ward back that will be huge. Going forward I would take OV back on a friendly one year prove it deal. The defense as a whole needs a lot of work, it should be the primary focus of the draft and free agency.

• Upvote 1

Vernon will be signing 1-2yr prove-it deals moving forward.. I'd bring him back because the $ are lower in those deals.

Sure, edge is now a need in addition to every other team, but Vernon is still the best bang-for-buck next year because he'll be far better than average.

I hope we go LB in the first.. maybe Rashad Weaver from Pitt will be there in the second

This, of course, is a big blow to us heading into a playoff game.  He was doing a pretty good job.

I'm pretty sure his position will be targeted in the offseason.  

His contract is up I think.  At 30 years old and injury prone, perhaps a friendlier contract can be negotiated.  

12 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

If you asked me after the first month of the season, I would have said OV (Vernon) has to go. He's making big money and he wasn't producing. Fast forward to NOW, and he's been our best DE, even better than the covid stricken Myles Garrett in some games. Losing him for our playoff game is tear-jerking, but the question remains...what do we do with him? What do you guys think? 

Achilles injuries are brutal, I'd say thats especially true for defensive lineman considering the pressure put on them when you are battling with other lineman.  He's not super old but he's still 30.  I'd expect the Browns to stand by him in his recovery and as you said negotiate a less expensive contract or just let him walk when the time comes.  No way would I advocate signing him to another lucrative deal after that type of injury and soon being north of 30. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Vagitron said:

Achilles injuries are brutal, I'd say thats especially true for defensive lineman considering the pressure put on them when you are battling with other lineman.  He's not super old but he's still 30.  I'd expect the Browns to stand by him in his recovery and as you said negotiate a less expensive contract or just let him walk when the time comes.  No way would I advocate signing him to another lucrative deal after that type of injury and soon being north of 30. 

It's one of the worst. I feel awful for him.