THE BROWNS BOARD

The 2021 Click-bait, Mock Draft Collection Thread

Tour2ma

I think each team,   winners or losers look to both methods to improve:   FA and draft.

But then, from what I understand from some of the self appointed draft experts on here is that most teams when evaluating  "draftable" talent,  put that talent into  "groupings".

I suppose each team may use a different system,  But lets say you have   a set of a very few  A+ graded players.   Then a Group of  A players.  Then A-  then B+  etc. etc.    Maybe each "grade ranking" has  5-6 players in there....or more.   And lets say it is your turn to draft,   say at #26, and all that are left on your board are  several  B+  players...which your scouts have said are pretty equal in talent and therefore any one of them may be deemed a good choice.   So, how do you choose between the 5-8 that are sitting there?   Often, by need.   If you have  a tackle, a WR, a QB, and a DE and  LB...and you really really need a LB, then you go with the LB and not the other position you are strong at.   On the other hand,   if when you select,  You have one  A grade guy, no A- guys and several B+ guys, then you look much more seriously at taking the A guy who is at a "non-need" position instead of the  B+ guys. 

13 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

I think each team,   winners or losers look to both methods to improve:   FA and draft.

But then, from what I understand from some of the self appointed draft experts on here is that most teams when evaluating  "draftable" talent,  put that talent into  "groupings".

I suppose each team may use a different system,  But lets say you have   a set of a very few  A+ graded players.   Then a Group of  A players.  Then A-  then B+  etc. etc.    Maybe each "grade ranking" has  5-6 players in there....or more.   And lets say it is your turn to draft,   say at #26, and all that are left on your board are  several  B+  players...which your scouts have said are pretty equal in talent and therefore any one of them may be deemed a good choice.   So, how do you choose between the 5-8 that are sitting there?   Often, by need.   If you have  a tackle, a WR, a QB, and a DE and  LB...and you really really need a LB, then you go with the LB and not the other position you are strong at.   On the other hand,   if when you select,  You have one  A grade guy, no A- guys and several B+ guys, then you look much more seriously at taking the A guy who is at a "non-need" position instead of the  B+ guys. 

And I read those "experts" saying all we should do is draft D players, or we have to get this or that.

1 hour ago, ballpeen said:

Here's the deal folks.

The better the team gets, the more moronic drafting for need becomes.  We need to draft best players available.  Losing teams draft for needs.  Or maybe I should say that winning teams will become losing teams if they draft that way.

Winning teams address needs in free agency. The draft is the long term method to keep talent in the pipeline.  This is a great year to draft a wide receiver.  Short sighted people don't see a need for that.  People who think a bit can see us still clinging to an old Jarvis Landry in a year or two.

This is a great year for interior O-line...again, how long before Bitonio and Treeter are gone for one reason or another?

Sure, if your desire is to cut off your left nut to maybe improve for a year or two, have at it.  I will keep keep mine, thank-you.  My desire is to maintain winning ways for a decade or more and not go back to sucking, and suck we will if we look to draft for needs.

From what I have read, edge rushers and lb are weak positions this year.  The guys you can get in round 3 aren't much different than the guys slated for round 1.  We have a DC and by league dictate, LB are on the way out in favor of players who can cover someone other than a slow fullback.

So when we start making picks, don't get all bent out of shape because you don't think the pick makes any sense.

It makes a ton of sense.

I agree with this...aside from Quarterback, RT, LT,  maybe RB I’d consider any player at any position left that is best available.  I say RB because of the FO doesn’t want to pay Chubb - do we like a guy like Najee Harris enough.  I say this but I hope it’s not the move.

Mocks have us going LBs, S, CB but

Take a guy like K. Toney UF WR.  I like him in space as our Tyreke Hill.  Intriguing prospect to throw in with what we have on offense.

Rousseau DE UM - I think he gets taken ahead of us but if he falls he’d be hard to pass on. 

I’d Use the 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 4th to improve back 7 speed and the front 4 pass rush.  Our LBs and secondary not great obviously but we some big needs along our front 4. Middle rounds I’d add a lineman each year where their skill set fits out blocking scheme. I may consider a kicker late too - been there done that though they have to be elite. 

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, ballpeen said:

And I read those "experts" saying all we should do is draft D players, or we have to get this or that.

And I am saying is that the philosophy outlined above says....IF you have a handful of players equally rated...then yes, take the Defensive player that you need over the running back or  OT  you don't need nearly as much.  But don't necessarily reach for a LB who is a B- player when you have a number of B+ players to choose from. 

9 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Top CB class seems weak.. reaches there have not settled either.. (ya may want to get Money Mitch inked)

Overall, yes, I agree, but looks like a doughnut CB-class to me...

There are two to four 1st-round-worthy prospects, but then not a lot of value picks until Day 3 opens a flood of "developmental" players.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, ballpeen said:
  1. From what I have read, edge rushers and lb are weak positions this year. 
  2. The guys you can get in round 3 aren't much different than the guys slated for round 1. 
  3. We have a DC and by league dictate, LB are on the way out in favor of players who can cover someone other than a slow fullback.
  1. They are not.
  2. They are.
  3. One LB position has been been "hybridized" in many base Defenses... in the name of coverage ability. The remaining two LB positions remain with speed evermore emphasized.

And stay away from both my nuts...

4 hours ago, ballpeen said:

Many do say the latter... incorrectly IMO.

Haven't seen any say the former. However, many do say the D-side is the side of greater need... that is inarguable. It's the extent to which you let that influence your draft that varies among "experts".

And be careful reading Gipper's summation of processes he does not understand.

19 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

2. They are.

Thought @ballpeen might want a little data backup for my reply. Below is not the analysis I was remembering, but the search continues for that one. Until then...

Article does not break out Edge from DL, but here's the LB info.

Linebacker

• Of the 303 players drafted, 72 became starters for at least half their careers.
  • Almost half of the linebackers drafted came in rounds 5-7 but only 5 total starters came from those rounds.
  • If you select a linebacker in the first round, there is a relatively low bust rate. As a matter of fact, Linebackers have the second highest first round success rate behind only the offensive line. 70% of first round linebackers were starters for at least half of their careers.
  • There isn't much drop off in the second round either, with a success rate of 55%.
  • The third round isn't that bad at 34% but after that the drop is steep with the 4th round plummeting to 16%, the 5th round to 4%, 5% in the 6th and only 2% success in the 7th.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2015/2/20/8072877/what-the-statistics-tell-us-about-the-draft-by-round

57 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Many do say the latter... incorrectly IMO.

Haven't seen any say the former. However, many do say the D-side is the side of greater need... that is inarguable. It's the extent to which you let that influence your draft that varies among "experts".

And be careful reading Gipper's summation of processes he does not understand.

KUNTHOLERY...and COWARDICE are Your ONLY expertises.   And you didn't have to appoint yourself to that status because you are too ignorant and arrogant to recognize that in yourself.   I did it for you.  You're welcome. 

• 3 weeks later...

New "Round Up" article is out and as I mentioned in the Mock Sims thread, new names are appearing for us at #26.

Variety continues to be the flavor of the week when it comes to the predictions surrounding the Browns' first pick in the 2021 NFL Draft.

Such is life in the bottom part of the first round, where the possibilities are seemingly endless because of all that can happen in the 25 picks before Cleveland is on the clock.

A couple of new names — Michigan DE Kwity Paye and TCU S Trevon Moehrig — seem to be appearing more and more in the mock drafts we're perusing these days. Is it a sign of things to come? Or is it just a fishing expedition?

On to the mocks!

• 2 weeks later...

I did a survey of players who have been mocked to the Browns.  I looked at  30 mocks from a Mock Draft Database.   It is amazing how many players had been selected. Here they are, in order of the number of mocks chose a particular player:

Zaven  Collins   LB   4  mocks chose him

Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah  LB    3

Trevon  Moerhig-Woodard  Safety  3

Eric  Stokes   CB   2

Jayson Oweh  Edge 2

Azeez Ojulari  Edge  2

Jaelen Phillips  DL  2

Nick Bolton LB   2

Carlos Basham  DL   1

Alijah  Vera-Tucker  OT   1

Christian Barmore  DT   1

Ronnie Perkins  Edge  1

Joseph Ossai  Edge  1

Davion  Nixon  DL  1

Micah Parsons  LB  1

Jaycee Horn  CB  1

Levi  Onwuzurike  1

Greg Newsome  CB  1

Out of 30 picks.....18 different names.    So, clearly no indication of which way the Browns go....except only  1 of the 30 choices was on offense. 

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I did a survey of players who have been mocked to the Browns.  I looked at  30 mocks from a Mock Draft Database.   It is amazing how many players had been selected. Here they are, in order of the number of mocks chose a particular player:

Zaven  Collins   LB   4  mocks chose him One of my favorites

Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah  LB    3 One of my favorites

Trevon  Moerhig-Woodard  Safety  3 Don't see him falling this far....the Browns signed a safety, too.

Eric  Stokes   CB   2 Not strong enough, physical enough to face the run. Terrific coverage, not much of one to get an INT.

Jayson Oweh  Edge 2 Very possible?

Azeez Ojulari  Edge  2 Very possible?

Jaelen Phillips  DL  2 Not keen on DL in the first round. Like his intensity, not consistent with playing the run.....

Nick Bolton LB   2 Not the coverage able LB the Browns need in my goofy opinion. Great run stuffing old school hitter though.

Carlos Basham  DL   1 first round DL, not seein it.

Alijah  Vera-Tucker  OT   1 Interesting - but not seeing first round talent here at all.

Christian Barmore  DT   1   I now question his tenacity at times, taking some plays off at times....not seeing it in the first round.

Ronnie Perkins  Edge  1 Questions about testing positive for pot. Sounds like you know who from Michigan. nope

Joseph Ossai  Edge  1 One serious possibility.... If he falls to the Browns - he could be the pick, I think. Has it all,.. explosion, instincts, never ending tenacity, great hands work, staunch run defender, plays off blocks really nice, leader on the field. Only problem - he isn't the most fluid when asked to drop back and cover as a SAM lb.

Davion  Nixon  DL  1 Mean short? machine. 6'3", 305 lbs of productive butt-kicker. The One DL i'd cheer for at #26.

Micah Parsons  LB  1 NO. Character red flags would be the only reason he falls out of the top of the draft. Isn't a fit. NO

Jaycee Horn  CB  1  Isn't going to be there, but if he was...  tough to pass on him talent wise. But I'm not sold on his ability? to turn and run with elite wr's in the NFL.

Levi  Onwuzurike  1 Shows flashes, but is inconsistent. A bit smaller than Nixon, not as productive/intense.... nah.

Greg Newsome  CB  1 Would be a great pick.... in the second or third round. Minor injury trend, slight frame. Really talented.

I still think Collins will be gone. Owusu-Koramoah will be gone, but I love the player. I still think Jabril Cox would be a great pick. Nixon is a beast and would be also well worth the #26 pick.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Kwity Paye, eh?    

Is that like in  "soft Kwity,  warm Kwity, little ball of fur,  sleepy Kwity, happy Kwity, purr purr purr"  ?

I think he will be "gone Kwitty Kwitty". Just don't see him falling far enough.

I'd be good...

26 Kwity Paye EDGE, Michigan
59.Richie Grant FS/CB, UCF
89.Pete Werner LB, Ohio State
91.Marlon Tuipulotu IDL, USC
110. Demetric Felton WR, UCLA
132. Kary Vincent Jr. CB, LSU
169.Tyree Gillespie  S, Missouri
211. Brenden Jaimes OT, Nebraska

On 3/22/2021 at 10:43 PM, gumby73 said:
89.Pete Werner LB, Ohio State
91.Marlon Tuipulotu IDL, USC

Intriguing pair there... Werner as our SAM and Tui looks like a potential, DT steal in the 3rd.

Tui's trenchmate Tufele looks to be more NFL ready to be a 3-down IDL... has the higher floor... but Tui's upside value at a one-round discount is attractive.

Werner has not drawn a lot of attention... just doesn't seem to have the speed for the NFL... but the kid just makes plays.

One trade mock

Current Pick:
Round 1 Pick 21
Team: Browns (received from IND)

Pick traded from Indianapolis Colts to Cleveland Browns. Details:
IND receives the following picks: Round 1 Pick 26 (26) (CLE), Round 3 Pick 25 (89) (CLE), Round 6 Pick 26 (209) (CLE)
CLE receives the following picks: Round 1 Pick 21 (21) (IND)

Cleveland Browns are on the clock.

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 21 (IND): Kwity Paye, DE/OLB, Michigan (A)
Round 2 Pick 27: Asante Samuel Jr, CB, Florida State (A)
Round 3 Pick 27: Alim McNeill, DT, North Carolina State (A+)
Round 4 Pick 5: Baron Browning, ILB/OLB, Ohio State (A+)
Round 4 Pick 27: Elijah Moore, WR, Mississippi (A+)
Round 5 Pick 25: Ben Cleveland, OG, Georgia (A+)
Round 7 Pick 29: Jamien Sherwood, FS/SS, Auburn (A+)

Your Future Picks:
2022 Round 1 Pick
2023 Round 1 Pick

On 3/22/2021 at 9:07 AM, Tour2ma said:

hahaha mines almost identical !

These were the guys who went after me I could have selected after the trade up

Round 1 Pick 22 (22) Titans: Rondale Moore (WR) Purdue
Round 1 Pick 23 (23) Jets: Christian Darrisaw (OT) Virginia Tech
Round 1 Pick 24 (24) Steelers: Trevon Moehrig (FS/SS) TCU
Round 1 Pick 25 (25) (JAX) Falcons: Carlos Basham (DE/OLB) Wake Forest
Round 1 Pick 26 (26) (CLE) Colts: Rashod Bateman (WR) Minnesota
Round 1 Pick 27 (27) Ravens: Terrace Marshall (WR) LSU
Round 1 Pick 28 (28) Saints: Tyson Campbell (CB) Georgia
Round 1 Pick 29 (29) Packers: Kadarius Toney (WR) Florida
Round 1 Pick 30 (30) (BUF) Bears: Kyle Pitts (TE) Florida
Round 1 Pick 31 (31) Chiefs: Jaelan Phillips (DE/OLB) Miami (FL)
Round 1 Pick 32 (32) Buccaneers: Jaycee Horn (CB) South Carolina
Round 2 Pick 1 (33) Jaguars: Travis Etienne (RB) Clemson
Round 2 Pick 2 (34) Jets: Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah (ILB/OLB) Notre Dame
Round 2 Pick 3 (35) (ATL) Jaguars: Samuel Cosmi (OT) Texas

2 hours ago, LondonBrown said:

One trade mock

Current Pick:
Round 1 Pick 21
Team: Browns (received from IND)

Pick traded from Indianapolis Colts to Cleveland Browns. Details:
IND receives the following picks: Round 1 Pick 26 (26) (CLE), Round 3 Pick 25 (89) (CLE), Round 6 Pick 26 (209) (CLE)
CLE receives the following picks: Round 1 Pick 21 (21) (IND)

Cleveland Browns are on the clock.

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 21 (IND): Kwity Paye, DE/OLB, Michigan (A)
Round 2 Pick 27: Asante Samuel Jr, CB, Florida State (A)
Round 3 Pick 27: Alim McNeill, DT, North Carolina State (A+)
Round 4 Pick 5: Baron Browning, ILB/OLB, Ohio State (A+)
Round 4 Pick 27: Elijah Moore, WR, Mississippi (A+)
Round 5 Pick 25: Ben Cleveland, OG, Georgia (A+)
Round 7 Pick 29: Jamien Sherwood, FS/SS, Auburn (A+)

Your Future Picks:
2022 Round 1 Pick
2023 Round 1 Pick

I DO expect the Browns to leverage their  9 picks in this draft  to move up a time or two.  And jumping up like  5-6-7 spots in round one  would/could/should be the kind of move to make. 

How Browns fans ranked the team's positions of need for the 2021 NFL Draft.

^^ How Browns fans ranked the team's positions of need for the 2021 NFL Draft

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2021/04/ranking-positions-browns-fans-think-andrew-berry-should-target-in-the-draft.html

I just don't like most the results of waiting to take a DE in the 2nd round.. here's another 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/browns-seven-round-2021-nfl-mock-draft-secondary-overhaul-continues-in-cleveland/

now the conversation is... Zaven Collins-Tulsa... a NFL DE or LB ?..🤔 (any thoughts?) Tulsa played some funky mismatches to free up Collins..but, Those won't happen at next level)

3 hours ago, LondonBrown said:

Browns won’t be taking Collins

I do see those as our 4 top needs.. I'm just waiting for the 'best player available names' to fall into place draft night..

a) I know, I don't* want Jayson Oweh from Penn St 🤯.. (they just got scored on again)

b) my nightmare is.. I think two of the bottom 3 amigo WR's, could be a tough hard pass..... Terrance Marshall Jr // Kadarius Toney and or Rashod Bateman ...👀

I'm working on.... T.G.B.B >>> The Gumby Big Board<<<<... stay tuned.. but these 3^^ names keep getting in my way of said "need" vs "BPA" ...  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gumby73 said:

I'm working on.... T.G.B.B >>> The Gumby Big Board<<<<... stay tuned.. but these 3^^ names keep getting in my way of said "need" vs "BPA" ...  

Building a Browns Big Board...Who's in?  Can we all agree on knocking these guys off before pick #26? with no trading up...

Quarterbacks                                                    

1. Trevor Lawrence, Clemson
  2. Zach Wilson, BYU
  3. Justin Fields, Ohio State
  4. Trey Lance, North Dakota State
  5. Mac Jones, Alabama
  6. Wide receivers
  7. Ja’Marr Chase, LSU
  8. DeVonta Smith, Alabama
  9. Jaylen Waddle, Alabama
  10. Tight ends
  11. Kyle Pitts, Florida
  12. Offensive tackles
  13. Penei Sewell, Oregon
  14. Rashawn Slater, Northwestern
  15. Christian Darrisaw, Virginia Tech
  16. Guards/centers
  17. Alijah Vera-Tucker, USC

There's the unlucky 13... Want to add or delete anyone? 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What's left... to begin aligning your* BPA opinion order highest to lowest... yikes! not my order, but we get the names that could be left..

1. WR
  2. Kadarius Toney, Florida
  3. Terrace Marshall Jr., LSU
  4. Rashod Bateman, Minnesota
  5. Rondale Moore, Purdue

Defensive tackles

1. Christian Barmore, Alabama
  2. Levi Onwuzurike, Washington
  3. Jaylen Tywman, Pittsburgh
  4. Marvin Wilson, Florida State
  5. Daviyon Nixon, Iowa
  7. Defensive Ends
  8. Gregory Rousseau, Miami
  9. Kwity Paye, Michigan
  10. Joseph Ossai, Texas
  11. Patrick Jones II, Pittsburgh
  12. Jayson Oweh, Penn State
  13. Jaelan Phillips, Miami
  14. Carlos Basham Jr., Wake Forest

Linebackers

1. Micah Parsons, Penn State
  2. Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, Notre Dame
  3. Azeez Olujari, Georgia
  4. Zaven Collins, Tulsa
  5. Nick Bolton, Missouri
  6. Dylan Moses, Alabama

Cornerbacks

1. Caleb Farley, Virginia Tech
  2. Patrick Surtain II, Alabama
  3. Jaycee Horn, South Carolina
  4. Eric Stokes, Georgia
  5. Asante Samuel Jr., Florida State

Safeties

1. Trevon Moehrig, TCU
  2. Jevon Holland, Oregon
  3. Hamsah Nasirildeen, Florida State
  4. Paris Ford, Pittsburgh
  5. Andre Cisco, Syracuse
  6. Richard LeCounte III, Georgia
  7. Ar’Darius Washington, TCU

There's 30'ish.. and you can add/scratch whom you'd like...

So.... line-up your power 15 or 25 draft candidates from Highest to lowest & get back with us by.... 4-28-2021... My 58th Born on Date...🎂 

Tic Tic Tock.... and Good Boarding...

d9076fe8683e3103f65aa722bbdbcc7d.jpg

Gotta start somewhere... subject to sliding a few up/down or more names in .... it's a start..

open to any opinions out there... 

1. Terrace Marshall Jr., LSU
  2. Caleb Farley 🚩, Virginia Tech * high chance gone @#26/mocks
  3. Kwity Paye, Michigan
  4. Micah Parsons, Penn State
  5. Jaycee Horn, South Carolina
  6. Gregory Rousseau, Miami
  7. Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, Notre Dame
  8. Jaelan Phillips, Miami
  9. Zaven Collins, Tulsa
  10. Patrick Surtain II, Alabama
  11. Jamin Davis, Kentucky
  12. Greg Newsome II, Northwestern
  13. Trevon Moehrig, TCU 
  14. Christian Barmore, Alabama
  15. Azeez Olujari, Georgia
  16.  Rashod Bateman, Minnesota
  17. ___________________________________________________________ # 26.. Browns on the Clock
  18. Kadarius Toney, Florida
  19. Levi Onwuzurike, Washington
  20. Carlos Basham Jr., Wake Forest
  21. Nick Bolton, Missouri
  22. Asante Samuel Jr., Florida State
  23. Joe Tryon, Washington
  24. Elijah Moore, Old Miss (OBJ out in 2022? get up in rd.2)
  25. Kelvin Joseph, Kentucky
  26. Joseph Ossai, Texas
  27.  Elijah Molten, Washington 
  28. Rondale Moore, Purdue

Future Player edit possible adds--- 

12 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Gotta start somewhere... subject to sliding a few up/down or more names in .... it's a start..

open to any opinions out there...

1. Terrace Marshall Jr., LSU
  4. Trevon Moehrig, TCU 
  7. Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, Notre Dame
  8. Christian Barmore, Alabama
  9. Azeez Olujari, Georgia
  10. Rashod Bateman, Minnesota
  11. Gregory Rousseau, Miami
  13. Zaven Collins, Tulsa
  14. Levi Onwuzurike, Washington
  15. Joseph Ossai, Texas
  16. Kadarius Toney, Florida
  17. Carlos Basham Jr., Wake Forest
  18. Rondale Moore, Purdue
  19. Nick Bolton, Missouri
  20. Daviyon Nixon, Iowa

2. Patrick Jones II, Pittsburgh
  3. Dylan Moses, Alabama
  4. Asante Samuel Jr., Florida State
  5. Jayson Oweh, Penn State
  6. Jevon Holland, Oregon
  7. Eric Stokes, Georgia
  8. Hamsah Nasirildeen, Florida State
  9. Andre Cisco, Syracuse
  10. Paris Ford, Pittsburgh

Future Player edits---Joe Tryon///Greg Newsome II//

I took out the ones I doubt will still be there for #26.

21 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I took out the ones I doubt will still be there for #26.

Noted now in red in original post.. Yep ! high chance they very well could be gone.. agree

Indy hospitals are once again set-up next week (or following) to do full medical checks on NFL draftee's... Caleb Farley just came off his 2nd back procedure..

We can throw this red 🚩up next to their names if anybody can help with a medical issue link...(most we won't get reads on unless a agent/player leaks it)

Edit--Adding Ballpeen's LB-Jamin Davis into future add's.. reads a good game /3 games on deck to take a peek at.. (updated board)