THE BROWNS BOARD

The 2021 Click-bait, Mock Draft Collection Thread

Tour2ma

One of the more thoughtful articles on our Draft that I've read. Especially the Round 1 analysis of who is likely to fall to us.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2021/04/the-11-first-round-options-the-cleveland-browns-will-choose-from-to-win-the-2021-nfl-draft-then-also-add-baker-mayfields-backup-doug-lesmerises.html

• Thanks 1

Another decent read running thru the Pros & Cons of the prospects most frequently mocked to us.

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/road-to-the-draft-the-cases-for-against-each-prospect-who-s-being-mocked-to-the-

Here is my pure guesswork as to who the Browns could draft with their first four picks based on the FO's history and what it seems like they look for, especially early on.....I wont bother with linebackers, I think the Browns are happy enough with what they have in that position and the media care about it more than they do

SPARQ - Andrew Berry has a record of picking players with a high Sparq percentile in the first rounds but unfortunately I cant find all the numbers for this years draft. Previous examples

2016: Corey Coleman 95%

2017: Garrett 99%, Peppers 89%, Njoku 97%

2018: Ward 99%

2019 (Eagles😞 Dillard 97%

Relative Athletic Score (RAS) - Another number that jumps out with Berry/DePo front offices not picking anyone with a RAS under 8.8 in the first round (OL aside)

Age - The Browns draft young guys which would mean the likes of Surratt and Basham off the board completely

PFF - Again, high PFF grades have resonated well with the FO

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Round 1 - Pick 26

GREG NEWSOME, CB, NORTHWESTERN

Sparq: 72%

RAS: 9.66

At 72% the Sparq percentile could be slightly low but at a position of need and high RAS he is a good fit for this pick at the end of the first round. With a PFF cover grade of 83.8 and only giving up a QB rating of 31.8 this young CB has the tools this FO would like to work with. Dane Brugler's thoughts on him below

SUMMARY: A three-year starter at Northwestern, Newsome was the left cornerback in former defensive coordinator Mike Hankwitz’s man/zone scheme, lining up primarily from off-coverage. After leading the team in passes defended (11) as a sophomore, he was No. 1 in the Big Ten in passes defended (10) as a junior and led the FBS in passer rating against (15.77) — of the 10 completions he allowed in 2020, only one was 10-plus yards downfield. With his agile footwork and anticipation, Newsome attaches himself to receivers and stays under control in coverage. He has terrific eyes to sort and make plays, but he needs to turn the pass break-ups into interceptions. Overall, Newsome comes with durability concerns, especially against the rigors of the NFL, but he is a route magnet with fluid transitions and natural instincts. He projects as a press-man NFL starter as a rookie.

Round 2 - Pick 59

RONDALE MOORE, WR, PURDUE

Sparq: N/A

RAS: 9.32

With Landry and OBJ both heavy cap hits one or both could be gone next year if not sooner and even if not, Moore offers something the team doesn't currently possess.

SUMMARY: A three-year starter at Purdue, Moore lined up across the formation in head coach Jeff Brohm’s spread scheme, feasting on jets, hand-offs and quickgame targets (screens, shallow crossers/digs/slants, etc.). He put together a remarkable freshman season with an FBS-best 114 catches and school-record 2,215 allpurpose yards, but missed 11 of 18 games the past two seasons due to injury. While short, Moore plays stout with the fluid ease of movement and instant accelerator to force missed tackles. He was extremely productive on quick-hitting runway routes that were designed for YAC opportunities (71.2% of his receiving yard in college came after the catch), but he isn’t a proven commodity on intermediate and downfield routes (finding targets 10-plus yards downfield on his tape was a challenge). Overall, Moore is unpolished in areas and needs to stay on the field, but his explosive lower body, play strength and competitive edge are playmaking ingredients. He projects as a starting NFL slot receiver who can be as impactful as his workload.

Round 3 - Pick 89

MILTON WILLIAMS, DL, LOUISANA TECH

Sparq: 99%

RAS: 9.96

An athletic beast who is basically the same as Aaron Donald score wise the Browns would love to add this guy into the pass rush mix and hope the coaches can break out the athlete into a productive NFL starter. Has a PFF pass rush grade of 89.7 and has been a late riser on boards so chances are he could be gone by this pick.

SUMMARY: A two-year starter at Louisiana Tech, Williams was a defensive tackle/end in defensive coordinator David Blackwell’s 3-4 base, primarily lining up over the B-gap. He emerged as one of the best defensive linemen in Conference-USA the last two seasons (19.0 tackles for loss) and is an ascending player who has yet to play his best football. Williams is a slippery rusher with explosive lateral quickness and physical hands to make plays up-and-down the line of scrimmage. He has terrific body flexibility, but his pad level will get the best of him at times and he needs to improve his finishing skills. Overall, Williams is still filling out his frame and learning how to maintain his leverage, but he boasts a dynamic mix of explosiveness and effort. He projects as a scheme-versatile three-technique or base end.

Round 3 - Pick 91

MARCO WILSON, CB, FLORIDA

Sparq: N/A

RAS: 9.99

Another athletic phenom in the third round as the Browns add another DB to the roster. Woods wants as many as possible and the FO will be targeting more than one and they hope with coaching this guy can release his potential.

SUMMARY: A three-year starter at Florida, Wilson was the right cornerback in defensive coordinator Todd Grantham’s scheme, also spending time inside in more of a nickel role in 2019. He is a puzzling prospect because of his volatile production and performance, although he will best be remembered for the cleat-throwing penalty that led to LSU’s upset win over Florida in 2020. Wilson has the athleticism to always be in the vicinity, but he gave up too many plays the past two seasons, including seven touchdowns and 57.8% completions. He displays awareness in space and the attitude to get the job done in run support. Overall, Wilson is a good-sized athlete with fluidity and toughness, but he doesn’t play with consistent urgency, discipline or feel and wasn’t a playmaker on tape. He can eventually push for starting reps if he shows improvements under NFL coaching

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I’d have to change this if I can be bothered as it’s clear there’s no way Milton Williams is going to be there. Chatter now that he may climb into the first and wouldn’t surprise me if it was at 26....

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, LondonBrown said:

I’d have to change this if I can be bothered as it’s clear there’s no way Milton Williams is going to be there. Chatter now that he may climb into the first and wouldn’t surprise me if it was at 26....

That’s too bad I would have taken him no hesitation at 59.

I think this draft is going to have some good QBs and Great IDL when all is said and done. Top Heavy but great WRs too.  

52 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

That’s too bad I would have taken him no hesitation at 59.

I think this draft is going to have some good QBs and Great IDL when all is said and done. Top Heavy but great WRs too.  

I can’t get away from his numbers they are crazy. He’s not going to last past 50 I don’t think 

On 4/28/2021 at 2:19 PM, LondonBrown said:

MILTON WILLIAMS, DL, LOUISANA TECH

An athletic beast who is basically the same as Aaron Donald score wise

Wow... only measure where he doesn't equal or better AD is arm length... which ain't nothing...

But his vertical and 3-cone are insane...😲

image.png.1bfb265d1a9c6a756edf33e341033b27.png     image.png.033fd06c2df51a64ee2f1b195a859ca5.png