THE BROWNS BOARD

The 2021 Click-bait, Mock Draft Collection Thread

Tour2ma

I've read a few articles about how Woods wants to be able to use three safeties and two linebackers (instead of the usual 2 safeties and 3 linebackers), if this is true, the more versatile the LB draft prospect is, the more likely the Browns would want them IMO. 

4 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

I take Nick Bolton, who I have seen once in a game. At 6'0 and 235 Nick is right-sized for a MIKE today and he flies around the field.

• Owusu is a 6'1, 215# hybrid LB. While that's a piece that is growing in import in the NFL, it's not one I'll invest a first-rounder in anytime soon... especially when I don't have a MIKE.
  • Collins? At 6'4, 260 I see an Edge or 3-4 OLB... Tape may convince me of a SAM or WILL fit, but until it does...

Got it. I looked at Bolton - nick is bigger, but I've read where "experts" say he has stiff hips. So, it seems to me, obviously strictly a guess, that he isn't one to turn and cover in the pros so I didn't have him in my top three. But Bolton is a serious tackling machine, and a very smart player... you could very well be right about him.

1 hour ago, calfoxwc said:

Got it. I looked at Bolton - nick is bigger, but I've read where "experts" say he has stiff hips. So, it seems to me, obviously strictly a guess, that he isn't one to turn and cover in the pros so I didn't have him in my top three. But Bolton is a serious tackling machine, and a very smart player... you could very well be right about him.

He's good in Zone Pass D with everything in front of him. Hips? Dunno... but if my Mike can't back-peddle and fly open to run with a swifter receiver? I can live with that... ;)

In one tape (I think it was the highlight reel) he did follow a WR out wide left and the QB threw to his man. Coverage was good and the pass was incomplete... of course replay showed a fairly subtle hold that was instrumental. :D

1 hour ago, Unsympathetic said:

Someone named Daniel Jeremiah just updated his mock for NFL.com and has Zaven falling to Browns in the first

Saw that... here's a round one roundup...

Browns first-round mock draft roundup (1/26/21)

Cleveland needs help all across the defense, so who do some draft experts believe the Browns will select in the first round?

By Thomas Moore@Tom_RedRight88 Jan 26, 2021, 2:31pm EST

Steve Palazzolo at Pro Football Focus:

Nick Bolton, LB, Missouri: Value and need match up for the Browns for the second straight year, as Bolton is the top linebacker on the board, and Cleveland must have better play from that unit. Bolton flies around the field, and despite taking a step back in 2020, his 2019 coverage grade of 90.4 shows what he’s capable of. Bolton has broken up 11 passes over the last two years, but he must cut down on his 28 missed tackles during that same period.

Mel Kiper at ESPN (paywall):

Aaron Robinson, DB, Central Florida: The Browns had major issues in their secondary last season, which started in training camp when rookie safety Grant Delpit tore his Achilles tendon and second-year corner Greedy Williams hurt his shoulder. Both second-rounders ended up missing the entire season. With Robinson, Cleveland could add a big, aggressive defensive back who can play multiple positions. The 6-1 Alabama transfer played corner and nickelback for the Knights, and I could see him playing some safety in the NFL. I moved him up my rankings after watching more tape of his last two seasons.

Daniel Jeremiah at NFL.com:

Zaven Collins, LB, Tulsa: Collins is very similar to Leighton Vander Esch when he was coming out of Boise State. Collins has the same size, length and athleticism. Cleveland needs to upgrade at the linebacker position.

Vinnie Iyer at The Sporting News:

Azeez Ojulari, OLB, Georgia: The Browns have Myles Garrett anchoring their defensive line and Denzel Ward leading their secondary. They could use some complementary pieces there, but they also were short on playmaking on the second level Ojulari has jumped into first-round consideration because he’s a unique pass-rusher who can fit a variety of schemes and alignments and has potential both in stopping the run and in coverage. Joe Woods is used to that type of linebacker from his 49ers days.

Jordan Reid at The Draft Network:

Zaven Collins, LB, Tulsa: The Browns’ lack of talent on the second level is evident. The team hardly ever places early-round emphasis on addressing it, but Collins is a piece that should make them contemplate that philosophy. A versatile piece, he can be used as an edge rusher as well as a second-level threat.

Ryan Wilson at CBS Sports:

Azeez Ojulari, OLB, Georgia: The Browns were middle of the road in getting after the quarterback and there is little depth behind Myles Garrett. Ojulari had a standout season for the Bulldogs and while he hasn’t drawn the national attention of Kwity Paye or Jaelan Phillips, he’s a legit terror off the edge.

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2021/1/26/22250770/cleveland-browns-mock-draft-roundup-1-26-21

Different selection from a different draft-head...

1. Who improved their draft stock?

Jaelan Phillips, edge rusher, Miami: Phillips had medically retired at one point in his career before transferring to Miami for 2020. He filled in for Gregory Rousseau, who should also be a first-round pick this April despite opting out. Phillips clearly made the most of his opportunity this season.

In 10 games this season, Phillips had eight sacks, 15.5 tackles for loss and an interception. He showed exactly why he was a five-star prospect coming out of high school. Injury questions along with only one true year of production could keep him from going too high in the first round. But the fact that he could be a first-round pick considering where he was at the start of the season is remarkable.

26. Cleveland Browns: Jaelen Phillips, edge rusher, Miami

Height, weight: 6-foot-5, 266 pounds.

2020 stats: 45 tackles, 8 sacks, 15.5 TFLs, 3 passes defensed, 1 INT.

As I wrote at the top of this post, no one did more for his draft prospects this year than Phillips. His hands and athleticism are outstanding. Putting him opposite Myles Garrett will help him grow into the NFL, and potentially give the Browns a dynamic combo of young defensive ends.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2021/01/which-players-boosted-their-draft-stock-most-from-this-college-football-season-2021-nfl-mock-draft-40.html

26 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Looks like a plethora of LBs for sure plus one DB.

It's a LB rich class and almost as if our FO looked ahead in 2019... ;)

DBs? There is quality at the top to be sure, but in the sims they go early and than you won't see one in the ranking for most of rounds 2 thru 4... It's really weird.

Safeties trend opposite... only a couple early, but then a steady flow in rounds 2 thru 5.

Seems like a honest Roster digest... https://www.wkyc.com/article/sports/nfl/browns/browns-2021-offseason-roster-review/95-7d3b2574-ff65-4c7d-b1ba-fed88adea5e5

Should be a deep evaluation board of LB'ers vs. Corner's vs. DT's vs. DE's...  Get to work AB ! 🧐 (replacing Vernon's side, is the fence am sitting on for now)

Here's a 3 round Mock that I could see happening.. Includes unnamed teams that may trade up for QB's...

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/2021-nfl-mock-draft-weissman-4.0

In the 2nd, I'd only change one thing,.By taking Pitt's DE Jones ll instead of Roche..

His 2nd round, looks somewhat underwhelming and includes Olave who went back to school.. but our 4 pick outcome would look great 🤫  

23 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

Here's a 3 round Mock that I could see happening.. Includes unnamed teams that may trade up for QB's...

In the 2nd, I'd only change one thing,.By taking Pitt's DE Jones ll instead of Roche..

His 2nd round, looks somewhat underwhelming and includes Olave who went back to school.. but our 4 pick outcome would look great 🤫  

Nixon, huh?   Interesting.   

I guess my draft and roster philosophy started with watching the Gmen from the early to late 2000's.    With the de-emphasis on the running game as priority #1, the need for IDL also drops commensurately.    Much like how the RB position is now valued, with fewer and fewer picks in the top 50 because such great production can be found that doesn't include a high price tag for a position with the shortest life-span in the NFL.      While it's more of a guideline than a rule (A little Ghostbusters reference there, kids)  there are exceptions to that.       If I find a transcendent IDL talent, obviously I'm going to pull that trigger.   So who would be on that short list lately...  Donald.   Fletcher Cox?  Kenny Clark? Buckner?  Heyward?      Re: Donald,  are any of those names talents you would consider his equal?    I don't think so but Cox is about the only one that is really close.   

Next tier being Chris Jones (3rd round pick) Grady Jarrett (5th round pick) Akiem Hicks (3rd round) Mo Hurst (5th round) ( @MLD Woody   I told you he'd be good)  Linval Joseph (2nd round)

My point being, the Gmen won 2 Superbowl's in that stretch not investing a single 1st round pick on IDL.  Actually their highest pick was Linval Joseph in the 2nd.  But beyond that? Nothing from 2001 until I believe Dexter Lawrence?  They drafted edge rushers and found effective talent in the mid to later rounds to supplement the outside production because an Aaron Donald simply wasn't available.    I guess, in a way, I also view the QB position the same.   If I'm not 100% convinced that I've found THE guy, then I'm not going to address the position unless BPA severely dictates it or I can leverage my draft board to achieve similar production at a better value for the position.     I'm just a believer that those assets can be invested elsewhere while finding talent for IDL later.       Unless of course Nixon looks like the next Aaron Donald.

20 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Nixon, huh?   Interesting.   

Much like how the RB position is now valued, with fewer and fewer picks in the top 50 because such great production can be found that doesn't include a high price tag for a position with the shortest life-span in the NFL.  AGREEd

My point being, the Gmen won 2 Superbowl's in that stretch not investing a single 1st round pick on IDL.  They drafted edge rushers and found effective talent in the mid to later rounds to supplement the outside production because an Aaron Donald simply wasn't available.    I guess, in a way, I also view the QB position the same.   If I'm not 100% convinced that I've found THE guy, then I'm not going to address the position unless BPA severely dictates it or I can leverage my draft board to achieve similar production at a better value for the position.     I'm just a believer that those assets can be invested elsewhere while finding talent for IDL later.       Unless of course Nixon looks like the next Aaron Donald.

As for the mock position layout.. We'd be scrambling to replace LB Mack Wilson again going into the 5th.Mack was taken #155 in 5th/ while we own #169 this draft.

We could certainly take LB over DT in the 1st...much prefer if the value sits there..

Nixon is no Donald...but if we get a Johnathan Allen type DT from it? I'm OK with a 17th overall pick DT value, picking 26th

@tiamat63 if you told me I'm sure I agreed. Mo was a rare IDL that could get pressure up on the QB. Michigan has been struggling to replace that for years.

Also, the only reason Mo went that late I'd because they found some heart condition / irregularity during his medical at the combine. Teams get nervous and he dropped. 

2 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

As for the mock position layout.. We'd be scrambling to replace LB Mack Wilson again going into the 5th.Mack was taken #155 in 5th/ while we own #169 this draft.

We could certainly take LB over DT in the 1st...much prefer if the value sits there..

Nixon is no Danald...but if we get a Johnathan Allen type DT from it? I'm OK with a 17th pick DT value

Re: The bolded - yeah, I'm good with that.  Mack is the worst LB on this team and it isn't close right now.  

With Billings, Elliot and possibly Jobi in the fold, I need a DI that gives me the pass rush push long term.                                                                                                                                                  That 3-tech to replace Sheldon in time.    If you can't find it, then don't try to draft it high.

Just now, MLD Woody said:

@tiamat63 if you told me I'm sure I agreed. Mo was a rare IDL that could get pressure up on the QB. Michigan has been struggling to replace that for years.

Also, the only reason Mo went that late I'd because they found some heart condition / irregularity during his medical at the combine. Teams get nervous and he dropped. 

Yes, well aware of that.  I believe we even spoke about it.   His size at the time (270ish) was also a concern.     

Gary is a solid player, but Mo and Bush were the heart and soul of that defense for a couple years.

Just now, tiamat63 said:

Yes, well aware of that.  I believe we even spoke about it.   His size at the time (270ish) was also a concern.     

Gary is a solid player, but Mo and Bush were the heart and soul of that defense for a couple years.

Bush kinda came out of nowhere, but yeah, he was a huge part of the D. Bush and Mo only overlapped one season though. 

Honestly the whole DL was stacked if you start going through the names. Hoke and Mattison could recruit DL.

CBs were good too. 

I believe Gary is starting to be pretty solid for the Packers 

Just now, MLD Woody said:

Bush kinda came out of nowhere, but yeah, he was a huge part of the D. Bush and Mo only overlapped one season though. 

Honestly the whole DL was stacked if you start going through the names. Hoke and Mattison could recruit DL.

CBs were good too. 

I believe Gary is starting to be pretty solid for the Packers 

Parris Campbell, KJ, Mclaurin & Olave might disagree about that.

Yes, Gary is starting to produce on a more limited snap count.   Then again, I'm not a huge fan of Pettine's defensive philosophy's so who knows what his ceiling might be.

22 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Re: The bolded - yeah, I'm good with that.  Mack is the worst LB on this team and it isn't close right now.  Well put... he's Not even close..

With Billings, Elliot and possibly Jobi in the fold, I need a DI that gives me the pass rush push long term.                                                                                                                                                  That 3-tech to replace Sheldon in time.    If you can't find it, then don't try to draft it high.  Joe Woods's passed this note to Berry after they shook hands  :lol:

4 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Parris Campbell, KJ, Mclaurin & Olave might disagree about that.

Yes, Gary is starting to produce on a more limited snap count.   Then again, I'm not a huge fan of Pettine's defensive philosophy's so who knows what his ceiling might be.

Well he was drafted to play a different position than what he played in college, so it wasn't going to be an immediate impact. 

I think you're blurong together a handful of years here, but the crossing route rest that killed us came through exploiting our third CB and our main pass rushers hurt. But yes, when OSU went three deep with WRs that run 4.3s that's hard to stop. Especially with some injuries. Especially with a DC that refuses to adapt from his man coverage philosophy. And now that DC is gone, even though he succeeded against everyone else. Arizona is going to have a very good D soon

13 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

Well he was drafted to play a different position than what he played in college, so it wasn't going to be an immediate impact. 

Arizona is going to have a very good team soon.

FIFY now that Sumlin is gone. JFF was the only reason he got to stay at A&M as long as he did. At Arizona he was a disaster (9-20 in 3 seasons). He got fired after going 0-5 in 2020.

On 1/31/2021 at 10:34 AM, gumby73 said:

Nixon has to be a fast riser to be sure if he's now in consideration for being the first IDL off the board.

I gotta get my D-side scouting going... front to back and inside out...

Round up of 1st round prognostications by Gibble...

A lot of different names with one repeated 3 times... Zaven Collins.

Mock Draft Roundup: Early predictions for who Browns will take with 26th pick

The 2021 NFL Draft is just 2 short months away

Feb 10, 2021 at 09:42 AM

Of Note: Robinson began his career at Alabama before making the move to Orlando. Kiper likes the kind of versatility Robinson could bring to a Browns secondary that was hampered by significant injuries throughout 2020.

Of Note: Collins won the Nagurski Award, given to college football's top defensive player, after racking up 11.5 tackles for loss and four interceptions.

Of Note: Jeremiah compares Collins to Leighton Vander Esch, who starred at Boise State before landing with the Cowboys in the first round.

Of Note: Barmore was named the Defensive MVP of the 2021 national championship after racking up five tackles, two tackles for loss and a sack against Ohio State.

Of Note: Reuter projects the Browns to trade up to No. 21 to snag Bolton, whom Reuter compares to Steelers LB Devin Bush.

Of Note: Iyer says Collins "explodes as an athlete" and would be a nice complement to Garrett on the D-line and Denzel Ward in the secondary.

Of Note: Phillips, a transfer from UCLA, led the Hurricanes with eight sacks in 2020.

Of Note: Nixon was the Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year and was the only player in college football to be a finalist for the Outland Trophy (best lineman) and Nagurski Trophy (best defensive player).

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/mock-draft-roundup-early-predictions-for-who-browns-will-take-with-26th-pick

33 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Of Note: Reuter projects the Browns to trade up to No. 21 to snag Bolton, whom Reuter compares to Steelers LB Devin Bush.

My goofy opinion - I don't see trading up for Bolton. I don't get him going in the first round.

Collins may not even be there at the 21st pick. But if he's there, I think he's the Browns' first pick.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

My goofy opinion - I don't see trading up for Bolton. I don't get him going in the first round.

Collins may not even be there at the 21st pick. But if he's there, I think he's the Browns' first pick.

I don't see us trading up period, but if someone we expected to go very early falls... well... let's just say never say never.

The thing about Bolton is he is a prototypical Mike... a position we badly need... but there are decent options later.

Collins? Really warming to his versatility as a SAM standing up on early downs and then in a 3-point opposite MG in 3d and long... or 2nd or 1st and long.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

One thing I always say about mocks is that they are hard to judge without knowing who else was available at a given pick. So with that in mind I used the links in the Gribble article to see who of potential interest to us went in picks 20-32.

Also interesting to note patterns in the top 20. Not surprisingly four QBs were the norm along with at least two CBs and two WRs. All had Parsons repping the LB class in the top 10. Somewhat surprising to me were the number of OTs taken. Many of the mocks had up to 6 going  in the 1st round with most of those in the top 20. Add all this early consensus together and you see how some really good defensive talent is squeezed down the board to us.

I started a spreadsheet tallying mocks' Top 20s by position... may get around to finishing it later.

https://www.nfl.com/news/bucky-brooks-2021-nfl-mock-draft-1-0-jets-start-new-era-at-qb-with-justin-fields

• Brooks chose Collins for us.
  • He had Bolton going to the Steelers at #24 and Barmore to JAX at 25.
  • Phillips, Moehrig, Basham, and Ossai went after our pick.

https://www.nfl.com/news/daniel-jeremiah-2021-nfl-mock-draft-1-0-zach-wilson-to-jets

• DJ sent Collins our way.
  • Paye lasted to #21 before DET tabbed him and JAX took Moehrig.
  • He left Bolton for NO.

https://www.nfl.com/news/lance-zierlein-2021-nfl-mock-draft-1-0-patriots-49ers-select-qbs-in-round-1

• LZ has Barmore to us.
  • TN took Paye at 22, PTG Collins at 24 and Moehrig to BLT.
  • Phillips was left for TB at 32.

https://www.nfl.com/news/three-round-2021-nfl-mock-draft-1-0-jets-trade-out-of-no-2-overall-pick

• Reuter had us trade up for Bolton.
  • Doing so we bypassed Paye who went #27 to BLT, Melifonwu #29 to GB and Basham 31 to KC.

https://www.nfl.com/news/three-round-2021-nfl-mock-draft-1-0-jets-trade-out-of-no-2-overall-pick

• The Sporting News' Iyer had us taking Collins with
  • Gone were Barmore at #20 to CHI and Moehrig to JAX.
  • Left on the board were Bolten for NO at #28.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2021-nfl-mock-draft-panthers-trade-for-deshaun-watson-and-texans-go-qb-bengals-pick-jamarr-chase/

• CBS' Traposso chose Phillips for us.
  • Rousseau was gone at #22 to TN.
  • Collins, 28 to NO, and Basham, 29 to GB, were still on the board.

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2021-nfl-mock-draft-carolina-panthers-trade-up-for-ohio-states-justin-fields-denver-broncos-move-up-to-pick-qb-trey-lance

• PFF's Renner gave us PSU's Oweh.
  • Already assigned teams were Rousseau to IND at 21, Collins to PTG at 24 and Moehrig to JAX at 25.
  • Basham was left for KC at 31.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2929786-2021-nfl-mock-draft-brs-post-super-bowl-predictions

• Bleacher's Sobleski sent us CB, Horn.
  • No players of interest went from 20 to 25.
  • Moehrig, 28 to NO, Barmore, 29 to BUF, Collins, 31 to KC, and Oweh, 32 to TB, were still on the board.

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2021-nfl-mock-draft-new-york-jets-acquire-deshaun-watson-zach-wilson-lands-with-the-houston-texans-at-no-2-overall

• PFF's Linsey had us taking Owusu.
  • Again none of the names most associated with us went between 20 and 25.
  • Left on the board after us were Bolten to GB at 28, Oweh to BUF at 30 and Moehrig to KC at 32.

Both the Kiper and McShay mocks aren't viewable without an ESPN+ subscription.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

One thing I always say about mocks is that they are hard to judge without knowing who else was available at a given pick. So with that in mind I used the links in the Gribble article to see who of potential interest to us went in picks 20-32.

Also interesting to note patterns in the top 20. Not surprisingly four QBs were the norm along with at least two CBs and two WRs. All had Parsons repping the LB class in the top 10. Somewhat surprising to me were the number of OTs taken. Many of the mocks had up to 6 going  in the 1st round with most of those in the top 20. Add all this early consensus together and you see how some really good defensive talent is squeezed down the board to us.

Yep, looks like we really do not have to do any trade up to have very good choices available at BPA in our own spot.

I'm betting it is 95 % sure we go defense unless FA nails it all down.

Mocks Digest

Seems Carlos Basham has overtaken Pattie Jones ll... 🤔 I've watched these two hammers so long a can't pick one over the other.. and won't

I see a Top 3, in a deep WR class.. Might see some reaches that vary per Mocks above

Top CB class seems weak.. reaches there have not settled either.. (ya may want to get Money Mitch inked)

Top LB & DE, deep classes names have not changed.. stay tuned

Some bad NFL OL's may take a reach in round 1 too..

QB Trevor Lawrence kicks off Pro Days today... 10AM-Noon NFL Network👀  

Here's the deal folks.

The better the team gets, the more moronic drafting for need becomes.  We need to draft best players available.  Losing teams draft for needs.  Or maybe I should say that winning teams will become losing teams if they draft that way.

Winning teams address needs in free agency. The draft is the long term method to keep talent in the pipeline.  This is a great year to draft a wide receiver.  Short sighted people don't see a need for that.  People who think a bit can see us still clinging to an old Jarvis Landry in a year or two.

This is a great year for interior O-line...again, how long before Bitonio and Treeter are gone for one reason or another?

Sure, if your desire is to cut off your left nut to maybe improve for a year or two, have at it.  I will keep keep mine, thank-you.  My desire is to maintain winning ways for a decade or more and not go back to sucking, and suck we will if we look to draft for needs.

From what I have read, edge rushers and lb are weak positions this year.  The guys you can get in round 3 aren't much different than the guys slated for round 1.  We have a DC and by league dictate, LB are on the way out in favor of players who can cover someone other than a slow fullback.

So when we start making picks, don't get all bent out of shape because you don't think the pick makes any sense.

It makes a ton of sense.

• Upvote 1