THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns Free Agent List

LBC mike

I would think the RB position holds more value to this wide zone run scheme.  Some of us predicted that Chubb would be a greater asset to it because of his running style patience/vision/cut back ability he possesses.  

Teams like Buffalo/KC: RB value not so much... QB runs/ WR runs.  Short throws to WRs in space. 

The blanket rule may not apply to us. 

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

But the salary cap does...

Of course and at some point it becomes cost prohibitive.  

the hypothetical posed was 4yr. 50M D Henry contract.  That is not cost prohibitive to me. 

The position IMO is more valuable to the Browns and we have a special player at that position. 

29 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

I'm getting the feeling we disagree.... ;)

I may not disagree if his agent goes crazy and his requests are nuts.  

And then I’d start to think what kind of player can we get for a fraction of that cost and hopefully get somewhat close but realistically under what we get with Chubb. Or better yet find the next guy in the draft. 

I actually enjoy watching Hunt run and catch the ball. 

Yep! still have it 🤓...Now will winning and managing new Covid cap changes? Change any of Paul's building bible? 

Let's look at the Browns' Guardrails from the analytics team - Dawgs By  Nature

Lot's of these reads seem to still be in place... Seemed like it took forever,, Well until a real coaching staff showed up 👍

• Thanks 1

On 1/22/2021 at 10:55 AM, SdBacker80 said:

Of course and at some point it becomes cost prohibitive.  

the hypothetical posed was 4yr. 50M D Henry contract.  That is not cost prohibitive to me. 

The position IMO is more valuable to the Browns and we have a special player at that position. 

To me 4yr 50m would be doable and fair. Add that as extension to his current rookie contract and that puts you are age 30 where things can be reevaluated. Having Hunt will also help absorb some of the wear and tear. That said I rather like having a situation of how we are going to pay a bunch of good players then the usual crap we have been going through.

No cost is "prohibitive" in a vacuum.

image.png.685ee0d7b54dc51fba65c3a59915d2e6.png I don't remember seeing "Depo's Commandments" before. Love two of the items here...

• QB: Keep Investing - Hello, Kellen Mond... :D
  • No Uncoordinated Leaks - gotta love a well-coordinated smokescreen...

11 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Yep! still have it 🤓...Now will winning and managing new Covid cap changes? Change any of Paul's building bible? 

Let's look at the Browns' Guardrails from the analytics team - Dawgs By  Nature

Lot's of these reads seem to still be in place... Seemed like it took forever,, Well until a real coaching staff showed up 👍

A couple of things I wonder about here:

1.  What are a "red" and a blue?    Is a red a guy with red flags?

2. What does  "Do not Silo"  mean?

I also hate the whole "Churn the bottom of the roster"  concept.  It has always seemed to me to mean:   give the GM something to do after he has already put his best team together. 

7 hours ago, The Gipper said:

A couple of things I wonder about here:

1.  What are a "red" and a blue?    Is a red a guy with red flags?

2. What does  "Do not Silo"  mean?

I also hate the whole "Churn the bottom of the roster"  concept.  It has always seemed to me to mean:   give the GM something to do after he has already put his best team together. 

The attached links birthday is today. 2 years ago from today.

This all came about from a writer named Seth Wickersham of Espn (click "ESPN piece from this morning".. Sadly, most of the good comment section was deleted & closed with fans interpretation.. https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2019/1/24/18196310/lets-look-at-the-browns-guardrails-from-the-analytics-team

Team working in Silo's https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/250477

• Thanks 1

MKC weighs in on extending Chubb. It's actually a fairly reasonable take considering the source.

She raises the Franchise Tag specter... something we've not discussed here. I did not realize how inexpensive that alternative is.

Hey, Mary Kay: Will the Browns sign Nick Chubb to a contract extension this offseason? — Sean N., Chicago Ill.

Hey, Sean: Chubb is heading into the final year of his contract, and the Browns must decide if they’ll extend him or let him play out his rookie deal and then possibly franchise him him for 2022. The latter option would give them two more years of Chubb at an average of about $6.5 million to $7 million a year ($1.48 million for his 2021 base, and about $12 million for the 2022 franchise number) which would be a bargain for a running back of his caliber. Or, the Browns could decide to extend him this offseason and sign him to a creative deal that rewards Chubb but also protects the club.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2021/01/will-the-browns-extend-nick-chubbs-contract-this-offseason-hey-mary-kay.html

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, gumby73 said:

The attached links birthday is today. 2 years ago from today.

This all came about from a writer named Seth Wickersham of Espn (click "ESPN piece from this morning".. Sadly, most of the good comment section was deleted & closed with fans interpretation.. https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2019/1/24/18196310/lets-look-at-the-browns-guardrails-from-the-analytics-team

Team working in Silo's https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/250477

The first article does not really give an explanation between the red/blue dichotomy.  So, still a bit in the dark there. 

The second,  sort of, explains the silo concept as it applies to professional business management analysis.   (It seems mostly to be a self applicable caution to the GM) 

33 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

MKC weighs in on extending Chubb. It's actually a fairly reasonable take considering the source.

She raises the Franchise Tag specter... something we've not discussed here. I did not realize how inexpensive that alternative is.

I needed to read MKC's reply a little more closely as I thought $6mm/yr seemed low to franchise a RB... remembered Bell costing PTG alot more than that seasons ago.

MKC's averaging of Chubb's final year under his rookie deal with the cost of a tag is "voodoo economics".

The tag costs $12mm. His 4th year costs $1.48. Averaging them is a meaningless exercise in math.

7 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

I needed to read MKC's reply a little more closely as I thought $6mm/yr seemed low to franchise a RB... remembered Bell costing PTG alot more than that seasons ago.

MKC's averaging of Chubb's final year under his rookie deal with the cost of a tag is "voodoo economics".

The tag costs $12mm. His 4th year costs $1.48. Averaging them is a meaningless exercise in math.

Ferris Bueller's iconically boring teacher ad-libbed 'voodoo economics'  lecture

• 2 weeks later...
PLAYER (25)
POS.
TO
2020 AAV
STATUS
MARKET VALUE
Olivier Vernon OLB 31 CLE TBD $11,000,000 UFA -
Kevin Johnson CB 29 CLE TBD $3,500,000 UFA -
Terrance Mitchell CB 29 CLE TBD $3,333,333 UFA -
Karl Joseph SS 28 CLE TBD $2,500,000 UFA Market Value
B.J. Goodson ILB 28 CLE TBD $2,400,000 UFA -
Kendall Lamm RT 29 CLE TBD $2,250,000 UFA -
Andrew Sendejo SS 34 CLE TBD $2,250,000 UFA -
Malcolm Smith OLB 32 CLE TBD $1,050,000 UFA -
Jojo Natson WR 27 CLE TBD $1,000,000 UFA -
Larry Ogunjobi DT 27 CLE TBD $976,816 UFA Market Value
Cody Parkey K 29 CLE TBD $910,000 UFA -
Rashard Higgins WR 27 CLE TBD $910,000 UFA Market Value
Elijah Lee OLB 25 CLE TBD $835,000 UFA -
Taywan Taylor WR 26 CLE TBD $825,000 UFA -
Khadarel Hodge WR 26 CLE TBD $750,000 RFA -
Vincent Taylor DT 27 CLE TBD $690,000 UFA -
Marvin Hall WR 28 CLE TBD $690,000 UFA -
Michael Dunn T 27 CLE TBD $675,000 ERFA -
Colby Gossett G 26 CLE TBD - ERFA -
George Obinna DE 25 CLE TBD $610,000 ERFA -
Tae Davis LB 25 CLE TBD $571,667 UFA -
Tavierre Thomas CB 25 CLE TBD $570,000 RFA -
Stephen Carlson TE 25 CLE TBD $540,000 ERFA -
Porter Gustin OLB 24 CLE TBD $540,000 ERFA -
Tedric Thompson S 26 CLE TBD - UFA

-

At some point later we will use this as a scoreboard to detail who stays and who goes.