THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns Free Agent List

LBC mike

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ogunjobi is the hard one.  Do we overpay to keep?  

Money Mitch- the market has a ton of DBs hitting FA we may be able to keep and quite honestly he was a better option than greedy before the year and he had a fabulous year.

Higgins keep.

Goodson, Taylor, Lamm I keep as depth pieces. 

This is who I would keep:

Lamm - He was serviceable when called upon

Parkey - We don't have other options and he was fairly reliable this year. I would give him a 2/3yr deal but bring in competition

Higgins - He is solid 3 option in this offense and clicks with Baker. A 3 yr $15 million deal sounds fair to me.

Vernon - On a one year prove it deal after his injury, should be a cap friendly deal

Mitchell - Solid DB and we need DB help and is insurance against Greedy

Joseph - He played solid as backup and did make plays including the playoffs. I like a multi year cap friendly deal as depth/rotational guy

Goodson - We need a lot of help at this position. I think Goodson was solid. He is replaceable but I think we have limited options here at the moment.

Vincent Taylor - He started making more plays towards the end of the year and I think we could get him back here on a favorable deal as depth.

I think everyone else can go, we really need to focus on defense this off season. Keep the key offensive players in place. Also should be noted we have a lot of key players up for contract in the next year. Among those are Baker, Ward, Chubb and Teller.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I’m on the fence about Ogunjobi. I like him but can’t say l love him. I suppose like a lot of things it comes down to cost.

Higgins is probably at the top of my list. After that Mitch. 

Goodson, Johnson, Joseph, Parkey, V. Taylor, and Hodge, and maybe even Sendejo. Those guys l wouldn’t mind seeing come back if the price is right.

You might call me crazy on Sendejo, but l see a guy who can probably out-effort the rest of the secondary, and in the process push them to be better.

Vernon is a toughie for me. I wouldn’t mind seeing him back as he was a late season spark for the team when we really needed it, but who knows how he will recover from the injury. 

Lamm, can't stay on the field.  Whenever called upon, he gets hurt.  

Parkey had a solid year.  

Higgins,  finished with 37 catches for 599 yards.  Hodge had 11 catches 180 yards.  Stef & Berry have seen them for the entire season now.  It's their call.  And they have Peoples-Jones, and are probably expecting OBJ to be a receiver for us. 

We were a better defense with Goodson than without.  But he's upgradeable. Same holds true for Joseph...and...believe it or not...Sandejo.  We were in such dire straights at safety that we were happy to see Sandejo in the starting lineup.  

....it's nice not to be on the HC and/or QB carousel this year! 

The true question is optimizing over all available free agents - not just current Browns.

Keep: Mitchell [backup/spot-starter, was a top10DB in spurts] , Vernon [should be some form of prove-it], Ogunjobi [backup], Higgins

Depends on their ask: Parkey, Johnson [should be another prove-it], Goodson

Presuming they sign for backup-level $$: Taylor, Lamm

Updated 2021 FA lists

I'd go after half the DB's just to see what's possible. Only LB's truly an upgrade over Goodson are: Milano/Bills, David/TB, Brown/Titans

18 minutes ago, Unsympathetic said:

The true question is optimizing over all available free agents - not just current Browns.

Keep: Mitchell [backup/spot-starter, was a top10DB in spurts] , Vernon [should be some form of prove-it], Ogunjobi [backup], Higgins

Updated 2021 FA lists

I'd go after half the DB's just to see what's possible. Only LB's truly an upgrade over Goodson are: Milano/Bills, David/TB, Brown/Titans

Interesting that no Browns player appears on that list until # 94...

brownsb_logo.gif Terrance Marshall, CB, Browns. Age: 29.  star.gifstar.gifhalfstar.gif  
Terrance Marshall was thrust into the starting lineup because of an injury to Greedy Williams. Marshall performed well, tackling particularly well.

Good old Terrence Marshall. I hope we can resign him. He’s our top rated free agent.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, LBC mike said:

make us as desirable location for players to come. 

Yes.  That 1-31 organization is now gone.  We are no longer the NFL's Siberia.  We have talented players around on both sides or the ball.  A solid OLine.  A QB.  A very professional and intelligent Head coach and GM tandem.  Nope.  We are now a desirable place to go. 

• Upvote 1

I would lock down this roster and run this group back, with a few exceptions. 

1- We had several players opt out before the season started. A couple on the OL if I remember right. We retain the rights for those players? Are those guys good or nah?

2- We found some great players here and there, Karl Joseph, Kevin Johnson and Harrison Jr come to mind. Adding back Delpit who was touted as making some noise early before the injury would also be a huge boost. If Delpit and Greedy turn out okay, we could have a solid secondary. 

3- With Beckham coming back to dynamic duo with Landry, I still love Hollywood in this group. Gotta get these guys on the same page and get them to realize that the sum of the parts is more than the individual payout. I'm hoping that Beckham has made his cashflow and now can be content to settle down into a role player with his good friend Jarvis and keep to a team friendly deal. 

4- Really love the Hunt / Chubb combo, just have to finetune it a little more, that will come with time in the system... also, the amount of wrinkles that they'll be able to create a year into it should be substantial. I just hope that Hunt and Chubb can come to terms with smaller contract numbers... 

I know it may be too much to ask for these guys to sacrifice for the team but that's going to be what's needed. Every extra dollar that you have to pay Myles, Beckham, Baker or Chubb takes away from the team pool of players and potentially cuts off your nose to spite your face. I hope that somehow, someway, Berry can make a clear and forthcoming commitment to these players and in return they will also make the commitment to the team. If everyone pulls their 1/11 there doesn't need to be such a disparity between the pay of these players... We'd be able to retain our nucleus for the long term and continue to deliberately add dynamic and powerful pieces throughout the team. 

Injuries are going to happen and they certainly did this year, but the team stepped up behind them and truly showed what can be when you take the individual ego out of it. When guys work together like Chubb and Hunt it lightens the load on them, not only slowing down the wear and tear on their bodies allowing them to play longer but it keeps them refreshed and stronger throughout the season. There is no telling how great a team that embraces this type of mentality can become.

I don't know if I'm saying this right... Does this make sense? For instance, say a team like Cleveland were to come together,  if everyone ate a fair share of the pie, allowing for more talent across the board to be had, and with that even more success... is there incentives for that kind of thing to work? Like winning a Superbowl, hosting playoff games, team endorsement deals and they like... do those types of things help to narrow the gap in pay for players willing to play for less? 

I'd just like to see them keep this group together. Sometimes the magic just happens for some reason or another- and the chemistry and success that we've seen blossom in front of us, the playing for each other, something bigger than yourself, just shouldn't be tampered with. 

Just took a look at the actual list... Man, that's a lot of our defense right there! 

Ugh. I hate turnover. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PoeticG said:

We retain the rights for those players? Are those guys good

One will start because he's good and was a top10 DL FA last offseason - Andrew Billings. Of the rest, only Drew Forbes has a shot at making next season's roster.

1 hour ago, PoeticG said:

Every extra dollar that you have to pay Myles, Beckham, Baker or Chubb

Good thing we have the one-year cap space to spend towards the signing bonuses of those 3 [beckham's not up till 2023-24 offseason] so that their annual salary can be lower.  Last season's player salary was right at the cap.

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

Just took a look at the actual list... Man, that's a lot of our defense right there! 

Ugh. I hate turnover. 

The list actually is not that bad...and I think we all agree we aren’t satisfied with the talent on the defense so you open roster spots there. 

No Superstars on the list, no pro bowlers, you have a few marginal starters and some decent depth pieces. 

I think Larry O is gone.  But I think we can pay Mitch and Joseph if we want to as there are a ton of secondary guys in the FA market this year. 

We have 9 draft picks.  I don’t think we use all 9 but you can probably expect 7 or 8 to take roster spots. 

Not just a matter of "keep/ don't keep"... it's keep at what cost?

Ogun? As a rotational DT, he fine... and at $1mm per year, he's been a bargain, but is he worth $3 or $4mm/yr? Nope. I'll throw $1.5 at Taylor and keep him. But for that same $1.5 or even $1.75? Then Ogun is back in the discussion.

Lamm? He was a lifesaver. Not only "serviceable" as mentioned above, but he was versatile as shown by playing RT one week and LT the next. And he appeared in 15 games this year... so he was available. But again, he made $2.25mm this season... is he worth that or more when you can extend Hance for less? That's as much of a staff call as it is Berry's.

Gotta look at what they've been making to get an idea of what they will want in their next deal...

image.thumb.png.871f73fecbe2a2773ef5936c5b0e295f.png

2 hours ago, PoeticG said:

I don't know if I'm saying this right... Does this make sense? For instance, say a team like Cleveland were to come together,  if everyone ate a fair share of the pie, allowing for more talent across the board to be had, and with that even more success... is there incentives for that kind of thing to work? Like winning a Superbowl, hosting playoff games, team endorsement deals and they like... do those types of things help to narrow the gap in pay for players willing to play for less? 

For proven, Championship teams, it's a big incentive to stay and a recruiting tool to attract UFAs at reduced cost. It helped fuel NE's prolonged run.

We're not there yet... but... some of the talent on our team hitting FA just might be inclined to stay for a little less they they can make elsewhere. They certainly aren't fleeing the dumpster fire that was us just a couple o' three seasons ago.

Plus we have to remember that these FAs have lives. Uprooting a family... kids changing schools... none of these are desirable... and now with the dumpster fire out, they are not necessary.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

Interesting that no Browns player appears on that list until # 94...

brownsb_logo.gif Terrance Marshall, CB, Browns. Age: 29.  star.gifstar.gifhalfstar.gif  
Terrance Marshall was thrust into the starting lineup because of an injury to Greedy Williams. Marshall performed well, tackling particularly well.

Good old Terrence Marshall. I hope we can resign him. He’s our top rated free agent.

How do they f up so much to call him Marshall instead of Mitchell? 

16 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

Updated 2021 FA lists

Well seeing the first brown is 94 there's definitely room to improve via that list 

image.thumb.png.871f73fecbe2a2773ef5936c

I'll just address the UFA's:

Vernon: Age & Injuries say let him go

KJ: Let him got to free agency, there are alot of CBs that can do his job

T Mitch: Keep him, even if Greedy works out he's a very good corner

Joseph: let him go

Goodson: wait him out and then sign him to team-friendly deal.

Lamm: See ya.

Sendejo: See ya

Smith: See ya

Natson: See ya

Ogun: Let him hit free agency, see what his market is.

Parkey: Drafting kickers hasn't worked out for us, sign the veteran.

Higgins: sign him to a 3 year deal, Baker trusts him.

Lee, Taylor, Taylor and Hall: only guy I would be interested in keeping around is DT Taylor.

2 hours ago, Zombo said:

Vernon: Age & Injuries say let him go

Joseph: let him go

Goodson: wait him out and then sign him to team-friendly deal.

Lamm: See ya.

Smith: See ya

Agree on most... disagree on these 5...

• Vernon - all price and recovery dependent with the latter driving down the former, and as I've posted before we will have all the info on his recovery.
  • Goodson - at 28 he's approaching his last payday so I don't see "team-friendly"; he gave us a good 2020, reward him commensurately.
  • Joseph and Smith - great vet presence and can still play... I want them in their respective position rooms

And that leaves Lamm... bit more complicated here.

No one can argue (don't take this as a challenge, Gipper) that he did not contribute to our 2020 success. And when your O-line is the strength of your Offense, then you have to have backups that can approach maintaining that strength.

We'll keep 3 backup OL for 8 total... 9 at the outside... plus a couple on the PS. Assuming we return our starting 5 by signing Teller that leaves 3 or 4 backup spots. Presently the candidates for those spots are:

• Lamm,
  • Hubbard (IR),
  • Forbes (Covid OptOut),
  • Dunn (IR),
  • Harris (IR),
  • Hance, and
  • Fabiano.

Clearly Callahan is going to have the greatest input here of the staff on performance level and development potential with Stef concerned about headcount and Barry focused on the Cap. So Stef and Andrew will value position flexibility... Hubbard has it (OG + OT), Fabs has it (OG + OC), and shock of shocks, Hance seems to have it, too (OG + OT). Lamm? Well we know he can flip sides, and that's not nothing.

I try to keep the four listed above, if I can work a reasonable deal out with Lamm... something in the $2.5 to 3.0 mm area with little guaranteed or $2 to 2.5 mm with substantial guarantees.

This leaves Harris on the outside looking in. We simply cannot afford the luxury of a one position backup. Also I should be able to shop he and his cap-friendly rookie deal and pick up a draft pick somewhere in the middle of Day 3... certainly no worse than a 6th rounder.

And the total dead money impact on 2021 is a mere $120k.

I wouldn't mind keeping more, but as my wife told me about my accumulated audio equipment in general and my speakers in particular... "You can't keep them all."

image.png.fa2e8fa9799da2ef8b2c34f0b1740876.png

image.png.0d6cee5d285912bc1f0e03b740b36af1.png

image.png.96820e2b6535351a052f21b655022e4e.png

image.png.c6dd14f1fc1b00a6ff4a898fa450017c.png

11 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

For proven, Championship teams, it's a big incentive to stay and a recruiting tool to attract UFAs at reduced cost. It helped fuel NE's prolonged run.

We're not there yet... but... some of the talent on our team hitting FA just might be inclined to stay for a little less they they can make elsewhere. They certainly aren't fleeing the dumpster fire that was us just a couple o' three seasons ago.

Plus we have to remember that these FAs have lives. Uprooting a family... kids changing schools... none of these are desirable... and now with the dumpster fire out, they are not necessary.

With NE it started with Brady making pay concessions.  If Mayfield signs on at more of bargain - closer to what he’s getting now than some top 5 QB money.  We have more room than we anticipate.

But Bill was notorious for letting someone else pay the next contract for his defenders though.  We even paid some of those next contracts. 

I may start sending offers to guys that will hit 2022 free agency.  Chubb and Teller come to mind. Henry did a 4 year 50M contract.  Would you sign Chubb for that money?  I think that’s fair and probably ideal for both sides.  I wouldn’t screw with the run game we have going on right now 

32 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Money Mitch is my priority, IMHO.  Sorry, but I've seen some shoddy CB play between the days of Haden and Denzel. Having 2 quality guys on the perimeter means worlds.

Yep!!  He had a great year.  And the best part he was available. 

I don’t even want to wait around for Greedy to be honest.  He’s under contract but I’d assume we don’t have him.  Having Ward, Greedy, Mitch I think we are to bound have hopefully 2 of them available any given Sunday. 

There are a decent number of starter type quality DB, S hitting free agency this year.  With that the case, I don’t think it will take a lot to sign Mitch and I think we drop in free agency and take another as well. 

5 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

Would you sign Chubb for that money?

No...

Love Chubb, but behind our OL I dip back into the draft rather than sign any RB who wants anything north of $10mm... and I'd have trouble with that as well.

9 hours ago, Zombo said:

I'll clean up...

RFAs: Only one I tender is Hodge as I already said I'd look to sign Fabs.... if Callahan lets me.

ERFAs: Gustin... decent player, nice motor, cheap depth.... and maybe Carlson as he showed a lil' somethin' this year.

SFA (Street FA... I had to look it up): spare Safety and FB? Pass and pass...

image.png.1136d2b1a186b77fc17d783848694f41.png

The top 7 RB's in the NFL all avg over $12mil a year.  

Maybe you can exclude Kamara and Run CmC because of their value as receivers.   But the other big names - Henry, Zeke, Mixon, Cook... All $12mil or more.

I love Chubb, maybe front loading the deal and the signing bonus can alleviate some cap issues?  But you're not getting him south of $10mil barring a miracle.

On 1/19/2021 at 4:53 PM, tiamat63 said:

Maybe you can exclude Kamara and Run CmC because of their value as receivers.   But the other big names - Henry, Zeke, Mixon, Cook... All $12mil or more.

I love Chubb, maybe front loading the deal and the signing bonus can alleviate some cap issues?  But you're not getting him south of $10mil barring a miracle.

Don't forget David Johnson...

Henry and Cook finished 1-2 in rushing... and their teams are but a 2020 season memory.

Here are the top 25 rushers for 2020: The number who are rookies or still on rookie deals totals? 16 by my count...

image.thumb.png.6a9e8527acb4d52a9b2f4dfe65f16762.png

I love Chubb, but RB is simply not a place I choose to spend mega-money.

So if it's pay mega or move on... I move on.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

Agree. 

I send a message that a top 5 back with a top 5 work ethic and a team player that doesn’t pop up in bad headlines are the kind of players that get paid market value for this team.   We find a way.  

There are other unpopular moves I’d make before Chubb hits free agency.