THE BROWNS BOARD

Major projected draft prospects for Browns first three rounds

calfoxwc

Really interesting - some well known names, some names surprised me.

https://sportsnaut.com/cleveland-browns-draft-picks-2021-selections/

Who will the Cleveland Browns target with their top picks in the 2021 NFL Draft? Check here to get an updated Browns draft outlook as the date gets closer.

Round 1, Pick 26: Zaven Collins, LB, Tulsa; Gregory Rousseau, EDGE, Miami (Florida); Eric Stokes, CB, Georgia; Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, LB, Notre Dame

Round 2, Pick 59: Tyler Shelvin, DT, LSU; Carlos Basham, EDGE, Wake Forest; Patrick Jones, EDGE, Pittsburgh; Greg Newsome II, CB, Northwestern

Round 3 Picks 90 & 92: Ronnie Perkins, EDGE, Oklahoma; Talanoa Hufanga, S, USC; Levi Onwuzurike, DT, Washington; Dyami Brown, WR, North Carolina; Charles Snowden, LB, Virginia

First round - I think the Browns need SPEED in the lb/db groups. My goofy guess would be Jabril Cox, Eric Stokes, or Osusu-Koramoah - 3 of 4 of my favorites speed wise.

Second Round - Never looked at defensive line - but Tyler Shelvin - 6'3", 345 lbs? interesting.

Third Round - who knows. But of the players listed, for me, it's Ronnie Perkins absolutely. May very well require a trade up to get him.

time for a goofy prediction:

The Browns will trade up to the 20 pick if their guy is still there, or Tenn. will pick him.

They trade a third round and a fifth round, to move up to 20 to pick:

Azeez Ojulari, LB/DE

he's super athletic, bendy, explosive, very intelligent, outstanding character, loves the game, is fine at dropping back in pass coverage.....

he won't fall to the Browns at 26. He may not even fall to the 20th pick, but I think he will.

and just makes stuff happen.

1st Round has to happen 1st....🤓

... I don't know how we'd get there?...

But after some FA adds... We might still be left with 2 targets 🎯

1) Vernon's edge need replacement.....  (Kwity Paye)

2) a LB that 'can cover' need .... Micah Parson and or (JOK) Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, LB, Notre Dame

There's where my Big Board would start...BUT...

Is the other same talent position separation large enough to consider the trade up?

13 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I'll watch for that one specifically. I also want to see who picks up the Tulsa LB.

Zaven Collins

I draft him in most of my mocks ...that will change tho now as I will go DE after we signed Walker and kept Smith

1 hour ago, gumby73 said:

1st Round has to happen 1st....🤓

... I don't know how we'd get there?...

But after some FA adds... We might still be left with 2 targets 🎯

1) Vernon's edge need replacement.....  (Kwity Paye)

2) a LB that 'can cover' need .... Micah Parson and or (JOK) Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, LB, Notre Dame

There's where my Big Board would start...BUT...

Is the other same talent position separation large enough to consider the trade up?

4 minutes ago, darren15 said:

Zaven Collins

I draft him in most of my mocks ...that will change tho now as I will go DE after we signed Walker and kept Smith

The Browns also resigned Lee (lb).... they want that solid depth.

https://www.brownsnation.com/cleveland-browns-re-sign-linebacker-elijah-lee/

Kwitty Paye would be a solid pick - explosive, versatile, athletic, de/lb, can drop back....about 14 lbs heavier than Zaven Collins.... solid character..... but Paye is most often mocked to be long gone by #26. Zaven Collins is, often, too.

Parsons doesn't fit the profile, from a character standpoint, in my opinion, not going to happen. Outstanding athleticism, though.

I'm a big fan of Osusu-Koramoah. He will be a terrific tool for any team's defensive toolbox.

This next draft is so interesting and nearly impossible to get a good grip on.....

if the Browns draft an edge rusher at #26... I sure hope Jabril Cox falls to them in the second round. But I don't have high hopes...

24 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

I feel like I'm watching Trent Cole.    

good comparison..

quick 1st step..speed to power..stacks & shreds with ripping powerful hands.good punch when called for. but you won't see much of any corner bends.. 

• Thanks 1

The beauty is that now that the major portion of the FA signing are done, we don't have any glaring holes in the roster.  That means we won't be at least leaning towards drafting for major needs, so that open things up.

It's a great year with the wr class.  I could see us drafting a WR with our 1st rounder.  It's wide open.  We might have a player we love and trade up to get him.  We might have our eyes on other guys we can get a bit later, so I could see us trading out of round 1 for a 2nd rounder and say a 2nd or 3rd rounder next year.

No matter what we do, we are in a good spot.

2 hours ago, ballpeen said:

The beauty is that now that the major portion of the FA signing are done, we don't have any glaring holes in the roster.  That means we won't be at least leaning towards drafting for major needs, so that open things up.

It's a great year with the wr class.  I could see us drafting a WR with our 1st rounder.  It's wide open.  We might have a player we love and trade up to get him.  We might have our eyes on other guys we can get a bit later, so I could see us trading out of round 1 for a 2nd rounder and say a 2nd or 3rd rounder next year.

Interesting - we draft so late in the first round, I hadn't thought about trading down. A high draft choice in the second round could easily net the Browns one of their top players they are looking at for #26. What is fun .... we have a A++ coaching staff and FO that we can believe in to make very, very smart moves and decisions.

3 hours ago, ballpeen said:

I think the Browns have ONE glaring weakness - they have no one opposite Myles to worry a team in the pass rush department. 

Getting pressure on the opposing QB is priority #1 in 2021 NFL, and the Browns today are in worse shape regarding that than they were at this time last year. 

1 minute ago, Dutch Oven said:

I think the Browns have ONE glaring weakness - they have no one opposite Myles to worry a team in the pass rush department. 

Getting pressure on the opposing QB is priority #1 in 2021 NFL, and the Browns today are in worse shape regarding that than they were at this time last year. 

Maybe, maybe not.  I am sure we signed Takk to be a big part of that hole.  How that pans out, only time will tell.  I do agree that we may not be set at that position.  I think we may still make a play for Clowney.  I know some don't like him for one reason or another, but he is still a very good football player and we have shown prior interest.  We may also have a draft target in mind.  I know I have given reasons why a trade down might make sense, but a trade up could also be in the works for the first round.  We have 11 draft picks this year.  No way we draft 11 players.  Some of those picks are going to be traded to either move up or push extra picks in to next year, so some combination of both.

2 minutes ago, ballpeen said:

Maybe, maybe not.  I am sure we signed Takk to be a big part of that hole.  How that pans out, only time will tell.  I do agree that we may not be set at that position.  I think we may still make a play for Clowney.  I know some don't like him for one reason or another, but he is still a very good football player and we have shown prior interest.  We may also have a draft target in mind.  I know I have given reasons why a trade down might make sense, but a trade up could also be in the works for the first round.  We have 11 draft picks this year.  No way we draft 11 players.  Some of those picks are going to be traded to either move up or push extra picks in to next year, so some combination of both.

I was thinking the same thing this morning - I would not be surprised if the Browns traded up.

The secondary is pretty much set with the addition of the two Rams. I don't see the Browns front office ever investing big draft capital in the LB position. IMO, the big, glaring hole is someone to really complement Myles on the DLine. Not sure that guy is going to fall to them at #26.

Like I think I mentioned elsewhere, Ojulari is a player the Browns may very well covet, except he could be gone by the 20th pick.

A move up to 20 would be a ...third and a fifth?

He's been linked strongly to the niners - who pick #12. Of all the drafts in recent years, this draft seems to be

special - really intriguing.

• Upvote 1

it very well could happen.  I guess the difference between you and i is that I am not as convinced the target is a lock(or near) to be a DE type.  We both agree that there is a good chance at least one of Landy/OBJ will be gone.  It wouldn't shock me if we moved up to tap in to some of the cream of the WR group.

If Berry is pretty sure that keeping both Landry and OBJ is prohibitive from a cost standpoint, now would be the time to plan for that rather than wait for next year.  That is why I think there is a pretty good chance that a receiver is in the plans.

2 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

Like I think I mentioned elsewhere, Ojulari is a player the Browns may very well covet, except he could be gone by the 20th pick.

He's been linked strongly to the niners - who pick #12. Of all the drafts in recent years, this draft seems to be

He very well could be the guy.  I was going to mention him in one of the above posts, but couldn't remember how to spell his name and didn't feel like looking it up.😉

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ballpeen said:

11 picks?  I thought it was only  9.  But be it 9 or 11  I do think that those picks can be manipulated with trade ups to get us maybe  6  hopefully really good players.  I would rather step up further in round one,  or get another first or second round pick  than to have  a 6th or 7th rounder be just camp fodder.  You can probably get  UDFAs that will give you as good as a 6th or 7th rounder. 

44 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

Or, do you mean he is the guy  you really want the Browns to  covet?   Nevertheless, if you think he could be the answer, and if the Browns agree, a trade up for him may be the way to go. 

2021 Projected Draft Pool Cap

Estimated cap dollars necessary to sign upcoming draft picks (not included in the cap figure yet)

PLAYER (9)
POS.
BASE SALARY
SIGNING BONUS
ROSTER BONUS
OPTION BONUS
WORKOUT BONUS
RESTRUC. BONUS
MISC.
DEAD CAP
CAP HIT (TOTAL)
CAP HIT (TOP 51)
Projected Draft Pool:                   $8,746,362 $5,446,362
Round 1, Pick #26   $660,000 $1,555,608 - - - - - - $2,215,608 $2,215,608
Round 2, Pick #59   $660,000 $358,161 - - - - - - $1,018,161 $1,018,161
Round 3, Pick #89   $660,000 $211,796 - - - - - - $871,796 $871,796
Round 3, Pick #91   $660,000 $210,347 - - - - - - $870,347 $870,347
Round 4, Pick #110   $660,000 $185,875 - - - - - - $845,875 $185,875
Round 4, Pick #132   $660,000 $158,836 - - - - - - $818,836 $158,836
Round 5, Pick #169   $660,000 $69,569 - - - - - - $729,569 $69,569
Round 6, Pick #211   $660,000 $37,798 - - - - - - $697,798 $37,798
Round 7, Pick #257   $660,000 $18,372 - - - - - - $678,372 $18,372

The Saints (pick #28) are the only team that sits behind us that may trade up for a QB..Rumor is , they'd have to jump the Steelers & get the Jets 2nd 1st round pick at pick #23...

Teams that may want a 5th year QB option behind us that may jump from early 2nd round?

34.Jets, but pick 2nd

35. Atlanta--just extended Matt Ryan

36.Miami

37.Philly

39.Panthers

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

11 picks?  I thought it was only  9.  But be it 9 or 11  I do think that those picks can be manipulated with trade ups to get us maybe  6  hopefully really good players.  I would rather step up further in round one,  or get another first or second round pick  than to have  a 6th or 7th rounder be just camp fodder.  You can probably get  UDFAs that will give you as good as a 6th or 7th rounder. 

No....my bad...9 picks.  I suppose I was thinking 9 picks, and then added 2.  Sorry for the confusion.

I'm not sure where to put this, but I saw the PFF draft simulator and threw my hat in the ring on it for the Browns...

Rd 1, #26 LB Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, Notre Dame

Rd 2, #58 DT Daviyon Nixon, Iowa

Rd 3, #89 Edge Joe Tryon, Washington

Rd 3, #91 Edge Dayo Odoyingho, Vanderbilt

Rd 4, #111 WR Nico Collins, TTUN

Rd 4, #131 Edge Patrick Jones II, Pittsburgh

Rd 5, #169 CB Israel Mukuamu, South Carolina

Rd 6, #208 OT Cole VanLanen, Wisconsin

Rd 7, #255 WR Osirus Mitchell, Mississippi State 

• Upvote 1

I'd have to agree with this..  https://brownswire.usatoday.com/lists/browns-2021-offseason-needs-free-agency-nfl-draft/

Such a long way to go, and some good talent that may go get cut, falling into a good dumpster diving season...

I'm willing to sit in my recliner & watch good battles like 

RDT 99 Billings, Andrew U/Cin 00 JACKSON, MALIK CC/Phi

to park next to S.Richardson...

If I'm? Joe Jackson/Gustin/Weaver/Greedy/MJ Stewart/B.Allen/AJ Green/Mack Wilson/Elijah Lee/Redwine or Moffatt/ Forbes to Hubbard's ? I'd be working my tail off, up to Camp day #1..

Put my name down for Nico Collins.  Saw him do work against the Buckeyes 2 years in a row in the redzone. 

Also, and I'm sure @MLD Woody will appreciate this first glance comment.  If you're asking me who would I pull the trigger on as of 1:00PM EST today to line up across from Myles and my options are - Kwity, Ojulari, Patrick Jones & Basham Jr?      Kwity gets my nod.

That decision still subject to MAJOR change over the next 30 days.

56 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Put my name down for Nico Collins.  Saw him do work against the Buckeyes 2 years in a row in the redzone. 

Also, and I'm sure @MLD Woody will appreciate this first glance comment.  If you're asking me who would I pull the trigger on as of 1:00PM EST today to line up across from Myles and my options are - Kwity, Ojulari, Patrick Jones & Basham Jr?      Kwity gets my nod.

Nico was severely underutilized at Michigan. It was criminal. If we want a big body, high point jump ball guy he's great at that. I think I saw at one point in 2019 he had the highest percentage of DPIs drawn per target. I'm curious to see his pro day numbers. 

I'm also bummes we don't get to see Kwity destroy the combine. Would have been a big boost to his stock. Maybe that's ultimately a better outcome for the browns tho.

Though this exists

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Kwitty would make sense, except he is said to have stiff hips, not flexible enough, needs coached up on pass rush moves for the pros.... etc, and isn't one to drop back into coverage and mess with qb's minds, as much as I've read.

Meaning, is an edge rusher just an edge rusher in the Browns defense? or, the ability to drop back and cover important, which is why I liked Ojulari better as the pick? Kwity is that good, but depending, I'd go Ojulari. Just wondering....

1 hour ago, calfoxwc said:

Kwitty would make sense, except he is said to have stiff hips, not flexible enough, needs coached up on pass rush moves for the pros.... etc, and isn't one to drop back into coverage and mess with qb's minds, as much as I've read.

Is a guy with stiff hips naturally flaccid between the hips?