THE BROWNS BOARD

Go Big Or Go Home?

Dutch Oven

Sitting at #26 in the first round this year, the Browns are in the strange (for them) position of having to sit and wait for the first round to play out.

But is there anyone in this draft that you - if you were in Andrew Berry's shoes - would trade up high enough for that would cost the Browns first rounder next year? 

Who is the guy in this draft that would make you push all your chips to the center of the table and go all in for? 

32 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Sitting at #26 in the first round this year, the Browns are in the strange (for them) position of having to sit and wait for the first round to play out.

But is there anyone in this draft that you - if you were in Andrew Berry's shoes - would trade up high enough for that would cost the Browns first rounder next year? 

Who is the guy in this draft that would make you push all your chips to the center of the table and go all in for? 

Four weeks ago I mentioned the crazy idea of moving up for Kyle Pitts.

He might be the weapon to take the team over the top...mismatch red zone threat that would get plenty of single coverage with everything around him.  

After a move like that and Baker being 2020 Baker and good fortunate (injury free to key players)...why not us?

so you give up the #32 overall pick next season.

I would not trade up high enough to cost myself a 1st round pick of a future draft.  Now, if I needed a QB then I would consider it, 'cos you're dead in the water without a QB.

31 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

He might be the weapon to take the team over the top...mismatch red zone threat that would get plenty of single coverage with everything around him.  

After a move like that and Baker being 2020 Baker and good fortunate (injury free to key players)...why not us?

I honestly don't think our #1 this year & again next year would be enough to get him.

Mike

2 minutes ago, Canton Mike said:

I honestly don't think our #1 this year & again next year would be enough to get him.

Mike

Hypothetically, lets say it is enough.

Would you pull the trigger? SDBacker makes a good point - this isn't a top 5 or 10 overall pick we are talking about. 

Above, I have listed the Top  5 prospects at all of our  positions of consideration.

Honestly, I don't see a one that I would be willing to part with   2 first round picks for.   

Do you see any of the Edge Rushers that appear to be head and shoulders above the the others?   

Same for any other position?     There may be a few guys worth  moving up some for......but NOT  worth and first rounder this year and next.   So, to answer the  original question:

NO,   not really. 

23 minutes ago, Canton Mike said:

Mike

Agree...I’m thinking similar compensation we got for the Julio Jones trade. 

Atlanta gave up 27th, 59th and 124th – and The next year 2012 first- and fourth-round picks, which turned out to be the 22nd and 118th choices that year.

This year we would have 1,3,3,4,5,6,7

Next Year 2,3,5,6,7 

I'm not really surprised by the lack of willingness to go balls to wall for anyone in this draft. 

It's not a bad draft, but it really doesn't have that many "holy shit, this guy is going to be a stud" guys in it either. 

More like, "I like this guy, but it might be better value to just sit and take this other guy" type of draft. 

Have to change your mentality to think of "tiers" of players -- no massive distinction between moehrig and holland, for example.  Similarly, Tia's study of McNeil suggests he has a lot of under-utilized/under-appreciated skills that propose his performance will be darn close to Barmore at a rd3 investment rather than a rd1.

Browns have more than one or two needs to fill -- at every position.  Can't think just 2020 when you're either drafting even in day 3 or identifying "Need" -- many key contributors will be too expensive when 2022 comes around.  One good example is OL.. 2021 appears to be the best group we've had in a while [at least since 2020].. but after this year multiple guys will be replaced, and we'll look to draft their replacement next week and get them experience this season.  I'm calling it now - Harris will be our starting C in 2022 because cutting Tretter will save 8.5.. and Callahan is a genius of a coach.  2021 is Harrison's last year of his rookie deal.. 2021 is Teller's last year before his giant payday.. We've already committed to contracts just between clowney[3.5m dead in 2022]/johnson/hill/ward/mayfield that increase our salary by 20M from 2021 to 2022.

One guy isn't the solution in 2021.. Or 2022, or really ever.

Bust potential for any one pick combines with our multitude of needs in 2021 and onward to mean we really shouldn't be forfeiting multiple positions just to jump a few spots up in rd1.. Instead of getting excited about some mid-round-1 guy, my thinking of a "Trade Up" is: We'll have to play more than one super-cheap below-replacement schmuck in 2022 at a position whose 2021 starter's contract became too expensive.  We could have drafted a replacement on a rookie contract for him in 2021 using those picks we gave up.. instead, we ended up with talent at only one position instead of 4 or 5.

A good model to follow when thinking about how to draft is Baltimore -- Ozzie set the standard there of waiting for a good contributor to fall AND constantly restocking the defense at all levels, every year.  Yes, Ravens haven't drafted WR very well.. but the list of good Browns WR's drafted after Braylon Edwards in 2005 is: Gordon.

8 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Nope. Either stand or trade back 

If one of our wish list sliders DID fall in round 1, I wouldn't want to spend more than our two 4th round picks (plus #26) would move us....and that's pick 20 or 21 (Chicago or Indy, currently).  I think we'd be more apt to move up in round 2.

20 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

More like, "I like this guy, but it might be better value to just sit and take this other guy" type of draft. 

Good Topic !

Paye or Phillips gone.. vs R-seau or Ojurari, Tryon, Oweh

Surtain or Horn gone.. vs Farley or Newsome 

Parsons gone vs.  JOK or Z.Collins or J.Davis

Miscellaneous pile of Bateman, Marshall jr., Toney, Moehrig, and a Bama-Barmore  

I may squirm a little (if/once?) one of Paye/Parsons/Horn/Surtain might slip past pick 12... but I might* get over it ? 🤓 agree... Am not giving next years 1st unless the card name reads Kyle Pitts... and I can't see Stef pounding the table that hard... have ya seen Kyle Pitts ever block? (know when to hold them.know when to fold them..

I think you will see a really good run on QBs, Pass catchers and blockers pushing defenders down the list.  At this point I’m more in the camp of moving a 3rd and/or 4th to get into 2nd and take a prospect that may have a first round grade for us.   I think Having three picks in the 26-60 range is ideal.  Adding depth and significant rotational pieces for this season and in 2022 where they will need to take over as starters.

If I’m going to talk out of the other side of my mouth...you could argue that there is maybe a small handful of teams (5-6) that are one unique talent away from setting themselves apart from everyone else.  Believe it we are there.

Going for it this year is grabbing Kyle Pitts and giving up some draft capital and the #32 overall pick next year.  Yes- Ballsy.  And He’d be the OBJ insurance for 2022.  I’m not asking him to block DE or OLB (we have that Personnel)...just run by them and the SS and the DB and score TDs on the way to 41-28 type wins let the AFC adjust to the Browns 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

Kind of strange talking about moving up in the Draft after all of those dreary years of being a top 10 or even being on the clock all off season.

And to be hosting the Draft to boot.  Moving up would put a little excitement into the home crowd and we'll find out starting this Thursday....... can't believe it's finally here.

Screenshot_2021-04-25_092916.jpg

2 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

Going for it this year is grabbing Kyle Pitts and giving up some draft capital and the #32 overall pick next year.  Yes- Ballsy.  And He’d be the OBJ insurance for 2022.  I’m not asking him to block DE or OLB (we have that Personnel)...j

But that always tells me (and the defense) that it's a pass play when he's in the game.  Steph likes his guys to block for his run game.

22 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

I honestly don't think our #1 this year & again next year would be enough to get him (talking about Kyle Pitts).

Mike

22 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Hypothetically, lets say it is enough.

Would you pull the trigger? SDBacker makes a good point - this isn't a top 5 or 10 overall pick we are talking about. 

Given where our picks are (and should be), there's a good chance I would, but I'm no GM.  I'll trust HIS decision.

Mike

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Canton Mike said:

Given where our picks are (and should be), there's a good chance I would, but I'm no GM.  I'll trust HIS decision.

Mike

Are you telling me you are not the General Manager of the Cleveland Browns? 

No way! 😉

1 hour ago, Orion said:

But that always tells me (and the defense) that it's a pass play when he's in the game.  Steph likes his guys to block for his run game.

That’s fine too And you put the defense in a bind when you have a physical specimen with pass catching skills running a 4.4 40 in tight or split out.  

2 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

That’s fine too And you put the defense in a bind when you have a physical specimen with pass catching skills running a 4.4 40 in tight or split out.  

Having a TE with those athletic skills could make it difficult for opposing defenses to crowd the Browns at the LOS like Kansas City did in the Divisional Playoff game.