THE BROWNS BOARD

Camp Battles / Browns Training Camp 2021

gumby73

I agree, we need to keep Davis.  I know Higgy is liked by many, but is he so good he can't be replaced?

I like Davis too, but l’d be real surprised if Higgins is the guy left off the roster to make room for him. I see Higgins as the Chris Hubbard of the wide receiver room. There’s little chance the team cuts Hubbard because he’s our best bet at Tackle in case either starter goes down, and as we saw last year Higgins is the same for the wideouts. Statistically Higgins filled the role of WR #1 in some of the games last year after OBJ went on IR, and he did it rather well.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

We don’t have to move on Davis until his suspension ends.  I believe he’s protected from being picked up the first two weeks of the season

Yeah, the suspension news came out after I posted my thoughts.

On 8/26/2021 at 8:26 PM, jcam222 said:

Every-time Higgins has been given a chance he delivers. 

Except when he doesn't. Davis' 2021 hands have been a lot better than the 2021 version of both Higgins and Hodge, and Davis can beat people both deep and from the slot. Obviously, Higgins has more reps/catches with Baker over the years.. but let the past be past.  And Davis saves over 1M salary vs both Higgins and Hodge.

Either the preseason 2021 version of Higgins has actually regressed.. or he stayed the same while Davis and DPJ broad-jumped over him. This is certainly a good problem to have, but Davis is simply more athletic and in 2021 is the better player vs Higgins.  If we have to pick 5, Higgins is my 5th which cuts Hodge after the suspension.  And yes, I'd rather play Higgins on ST even if he's 20 pounds lighter than Hodge.. no WR is going to be the same as a LB/TE for hitting on ST.

12 minutes ago, Unsympathetic said:

Except when he doesn't. Davis' 2021 hands have been a lot better than the 2021 version of both Higgins and Hodge, and Davis can beat people both deep and from the slot. Obviously, Higgins has more reps/catches with Baker over the years.. but let the past be past.  And Davis saves over 1M salary vs both Higgins and Hodge.

Either the preseason 2021 version of Higgins has actually regressed.. or he stayed the same while Davis and DPJ broad-jumped over him. This is certainly a good problem to have, but Davis is simply more athletic and in 2021 is the better player vs Higgins.  If we have to pick 5, Higgins is my 5th which cuts Hodge after the suspension.  And yes, I'd rather play Higgins on ST even if he's 20 pounds lighter than Hodge.. no WR is going to be the same as a LB/TE for hitting on ST.

I think you are a little over-pumped by Davis,  who was on the streets a few weeks ago. 

Higgins is a proven commodity.  1M in salary is nothing.

Z

• Upvote 1

You have to keep Preifer happy he raves about Elijah Lee and he’s raved about Hodge.  One of those two has to stay for ST purposes.  

And What I’ve seen From Davis although limited- He needs to be kept.

So is the “tough” cut here Mack Wilson?  

2022 is a year away but the WR Corp next season and the potential turnover…I don’t want to lose any these guys…tough decisions ahead for sure 

42 minutes ago, Zombo said:

I think you are a little over-pumped by Davis,  who was on the streets a few weeks ago. 

Higgins is a proven commodity.  1M in salary is nothing.

Z

Yes, the money isn't really a factor.  But don't forget, not much over a year ago Higgins wasn't even on the team.  He couldn't sign with anyone else and finally worked out a deal to come back to us.  And for quite some time he couldn't get into a game.  He may have even been inactive for a game. - I always think back to Chris Collinsworth during a prime time game saying, "He's not fast, he doesn't run particularly good routes...but he seems to have a chemistry with Baker Mayfield."    I actually wouldn't be overly surprised if he wound up being the odd man out.  I just don't think they view him as a top flight receiver in the making.

1 hour ago, Orion said:

"He's not fast, he doesn't run particularly good routes"

Lee Corso said several times about his Indiana teams “We’re not very big, but we sure are slow.” 

If the best they can describe someone is a one-liner fit for an opening act, he's not very good. 

Not disputing Higgins is OK - but on a championship team I hope we can have higher standards.  And for an end-of-roster, I'd take the guy with a plus upside.  Or, as has been said before, perhaps they want the WR roster spots below WR3 to be more focused on ST, and maybe Hodge does that better than Davis.. but both would be better than Higgins.

Don't overthink this.

Higgins gets open and catches the football.

71.2% catch rate last year.

And 16.2 yards per catch.

He's actually exactly the kinda guy championship teams keep around. Patriots were loaded with possession receivers for Brady.

Z

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

2022 is a year away but the WR Corp next season and the potential turnover…I don’t want to lose any these guys…tough decisions ahead for sure 

I keep having this nagging feeling that Landry is going to hit the wall soon. 

And OBJ hasn't been OBJ in what, four years? 

The WR room is probably going to look very different this time next year.

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

And OBJ hasn't been OBJ in what, four years? 

The WR room is probably going to look very different this time next year.

yes it will very different next year.

I have more faith in Landry (football IQ and route running prowess) over OBJ who relies more on his physical gifts and has a longer injury history. 

3 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I love Landry.  My only gripe with him is that he's a 15 yard unsportsmanlike penalty waiting to happen.  And this year they're really focusing on that rule.  My understanding is that the league used Landry plays in their instructional video.