THE BROWNS BOARD

browns need to sign NJOKU

EastSideDawg

after watching njoku moss every giants player in practice today i am sold on a contract extension.

1. he is young already his 5th year in the nfl and he is only 25.  his best years are going to be his next 5.

2.  his drop issues seem to be gone.  he has some of the best hands on the team now.

3.  He really stepped up in the playoffs last year as bakers go to target.

4. i am convinced he will breakout this year if given enough targets signing him will save the browns some cash.  if they dont give him enough targets and they let him walk i am convinced he will be a star on another team.

10 hours ago, EastSideDawg said:

after watching njoku moss every giants player in practice today i am sold on a contract extension......WHAT???

1. he is young already his 5th year in the nfl and he is only 25.  his best years are going to be his next 5.

2.  his drop issues seem to be gone.  he has some of the best hands on the team now. Based on WHAT??

3.  He really stepped up in the playoffs last year as bakers go to target.....Playoff game=ONE catch for 7 yards, week 17 game= 2 catches for 13 yards......."GO TO"???

4. i am convinced he will breakout this year if given enough targets signing him will save the browns some cash.  if they dont give him enough targets and they let him walk i am convinced he will be a star on another team.

Contract extension after 4 years of PFFFFFT??? He has a LOT to prove. Let's see what he does this season.

Mike

• Upvote 4

Watch the njoku videos in this daily update.

Of course it's up to him to perform on Sunday, but the athleticism is legit.

Resigning probably good now vs later bc he's shown that he's better at blocking and is far more athletic a receiver than the rest of the TE room. Yes, he graded higher last season at both run&pass blocking than all other browns TE's.  This reality may not "Be Enough" for you.. However, he's shown it.  Hands have not been there before and his rookie contract was always going to be about potential in that part of the game bc he was very raw before&during Miami.  And so this season's story will be whether he did [past tense] put it together.

I'd have taken another position with a first round pick, but since he's here, exploit the mismatch.

• Like 1

The athleticism has never been questioned.

Baker made an interesting statement today high praise for him in most parts but the following was said too “if he sprints and runs on vertical routes” 

WHAT year 5 now?  

I tend to watch the WRs TEs more.  He’s never selling routes.  There is sort of this aloof nature to his play.  That’s gotta change if you are giving him a big paycheck. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, EastSideDawg said:

his dead cap hit is below 

2021 -19.2 mil

2022- 11.2 mil

2023-  7.5 mil

This is only true if you cut/trade before 6/1 of that season.

If you cut/trade after June 1, the dead hit for 2022 and every year thereafter is only 3.5.

Hooper is the only player on the team whose contract has this [unusual] feature of changing the structure after 6/1.

On 8/19/2021 at 9:08 PM, EastSideDawg said:

after watching njoku moss every giants player in practice today i am sold on a contract extension.

These guys that wait until the last year of their contract to show-up with a passion for their PROfession after bouts of announcing they want out - have way TOO MUCH Rosenhaus in them to care whether they stay or spray. 

Having said that, I'd love to see him play like a 1st round TE for the first time in his contract.  At least the winning last year improved his attitude and enthusiasm on the field.  Let's hope that gets some momentum this year.

They were grooming Carlson for a dual purpose role like Steve Heiden had back when Winslow was used mostly in a receiving role.  That was a nice role because we weren't tipping tendencies  when Heiden played (Winslow had too many surgeries for us to try to help set the edge with a pogo-stick).  Anyway, sounds like an ideal opportunity for Njoku now that Carlson is on IR.   I'd love to see the guy play like Mark Bavaro.  Don't show me your abs David - show me a sealed edge BECAUSE of you.   Show me a badass that catches the ball in traffic; and then carries all that traffic on his back for 25-30 yards.  

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

Let me add…I think he was in a perfect role last year and now this year.   Competing/fighting for time.

This.

I thought early on that Njoku was that raw kid that was going to "get it" and emerge a possible top notch TE, but he never got there. He seemed destined to be one of those athletically gifted guys that never was able to cash in on his winning lottery ticket of genetics. When it seemed like he was on his way out, he emerged last year as probably the best overall TE on the team.

But I won't lie, I still don't trust him, and I shudder at the idea of giving him a big contract.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

This.

I thought early on that Njoku was that raw kid that was going to "get it" and emerge a possible top notch TE, but he never got there. He seemed destined to be one of those athletically gifted guys that never was able to cash in on his winning lottery ticket of genetics. When it seemed like he was on his way out, he emerged last year as probably the best overall TE on the team.

But I won't lie, I still don't trust him, and I shudder at the idea of giving him a big contract.

i mean he isnt going to command a huge deal with the production he has had so far... i just see him going somewhere else on a decent deal and balling out after the browns developed him.

1 hour ago, EastSideDawg said:

i mean he isnt going to command a huge deal with the production he has had so far... i just see him going somewhere else on a decent deal and balling out after the browns developed him.

I agree, he's not getting a monster deal, but with the amount of young players the Browns have coming up on free agency, I wonder if the Browns feel NJoku is someone worth signing to an extension. Honestly, he's one of those players that I just don't know what to think of. 

16 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I agree, he's not getting a monster deal, but with the amount of young players the Browns have coming up on free agency, I wonder if the Browns feel NJoku is someone worth signing to an extension. Honestly, he's one of those players that I just don't know what to think of. 

the problem is hooper and bryant cant and dont make the contested catches that Njoku does.

53 minutes ago, EastSideDawg said:

the problem is hooper and bryant cant and dont make the contested catches that Njoku does.

Bryant was a rookie; so this year should give us more of a tell-all on that.  I was more concerned about his fumbling/ball security after the catch.  I'm hoping the year under his belt improves that.

It'll be interesting to see what kind of productivity we get out of the TE position this year.  

I thought the best year Njoku gave us was when Baker took over a winless team (0-1-1) that was also coming off an 0-16 season.  After Baker erased the lead by the NY Jets - he went on the break the rookie record for TD passes with 27 in just 13 starts (and Njoku made some valuable contributions to that). He had 56 receptions, 639 yards and 4 TDs (2018).  The next year he had 5 receptions and last year he had 10 receptions.