THE BROWNS BOARD

Tale of the Tape - Browns vs Chiefs

Orion

6 hours ago, Pat Mahomo said:

.....because he played for 2 teams that didn't have any other notable DL.  If you bring 4 you can double someone....and on Seattle and Tennessee, he was the best option.  ....I love how you guys think now it will be different!  As if there isn't YEARS of tape showing him to be a mediocre player.

Two seasons where he was injured.  Or you forget he had 15 sacks in Houston playing with JJ Watt? Robin to Garrett's Batman. Try doubling both of them, and you're going to give the Browns  LBs a free shot at Mahomes. 

FWIW, Clowney is a one year rent a player, needs to prove he can stay healty. No way we'll be able to afford him next year. 

You are delusional.  When Mahomes has had a healthy line against the likes of Von Miller and Bradley Chubb (the best passrush duo in the league....just ask any bronco fan!)  ...or when he had a healhty line VS the Tampa Front during the regular season..Mahomes TORE THEM APART.  Unless the Chiefs are starting a 2nd string LT, a 3rd string RT a and a couple 2nd and 3rd string guards...there hasn't been a defense that stops Mahomes.  

You all need to worry about what your offense can do to score enough.  Your Defense isn't winning the game.....and niether is Baker Mayfield.

30 minutes ago, Pat Mahomo said:

You are delusional.  When Mahomes has had a healthy line against the likes of Von Miller and Bradley Chubb (the best passrush duo in the league....just ask any bronco fan!)  ...or when he had a healhty line VS the Tampa Front during the regular season..Mahomes TORE THEM APART.  Unless the Chiefs are starting a 2nd string LT, a 3rd string RT a and a couple 2nd and 3rd string guards...there hasn't been a defense that stops Mahomes.  

You all need to worry about what your offense can do to score enough.  Your Defense isn't winning the game.....and niether is Baker Mayfield.

Out of curiosity, should this turn out to be a solid game win or lose - will you be back to admit your football I.Q. is.... lacking?

43 minutes ago, Pat Mahomo said:

I beg your pardon. Miller sat out all of last year and I saw them play the Broncos in person at Denver in 2018 and they beat the Broncos 27-23 only because a 50 yards P.I. was called on a play in the last two minutes that started well after the playclock had expired (but was not called).

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I beg your pardon. Miller sat out all of last year and I saw them play the Broncos in person at Denver in 2018 and they beat the Broncos 27-23 only because a 50 yards P.I. was called on a play in the last two minutes that started well after the playclock had expired (but was not called).

The playclock on the field is for the fans.  The refs keep the official time on the field.  

Also...interesting that you remember a 50 yard PI that didn't happen.  In fact Denver only had 3 penalties for a total of 25 yards in the whole game.  Maybe you should check the gamelog here.....and see if that jogs your memory a little better.  https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201810010den.htm

15 minutes ago, Pat Mahomo said:

The playclock on the field is for the fans.  The refs keep the official time on the field.  

Also...interesting that you remember a 50 yard PI that didn't happen.  In fact Denver only had 3 penalties for a total of 25 yards in the whole game.  Maybe you should check the gamelog here.....and see if that jogs your memory a little better.  https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201810010den.htm

You are correct. It was actually a completed pass of 35 yards that should have been called as expired clock. The ref screwed up the timing I can tell you that, because the clock on the field started on time. The penalty followed for offsides by Von miller that set up Hunt's TD from inside the 10. The crowd was booing both plays because they felt Miller had not gotten offsides right after being given that 35 yd gift by the refs. Game over. The point is that he game was that close all the way to the end with a healthy Miller on the field.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Pat Mahomo said:

My football IQ is not lacking...and I'll be back.  I've been hanging around here for years.

I can't wait to see the excuses you'll manufacture after the Browns whip your ass!

1 hour ago, Ibleedbrown said:

I’m surprised l haven’t yet seen an article playing up the coaching match up. The grizzled veteran Andy Reid vs. the young reigning coach of the year Kevin Stefanski. Throw in some John Dorsey connection and wala, some sports writer meets their quota for the day. 

Andy Reid…does he show his hand in September?  This is a great opportunity for The Browns to get a better grasp of the Chiefs offense.  I don’t think we see Mahomes toss it all around the yard unless they are behind.  I think the Chiefs will lean heavily on their run game and work out communication issues and their Oline getting familiar with the pro game and each other as the season is early here.  Young new line working together…hat on hat blocking is easier than talking to each other and picking up defensive stunts in pass blocking…keep this in the mind when they lineup to rookies next to each other and have Niang on Garrett. I think Andy Reid believes he can run on this Browns Defense and he will also utilize the short passing game and make Newsome, Greedy and Ward tackle in space.  The Steelers attack us this way too.

Look for Quick pass stuff and hat on hat basic run game concepts with the Chiefs Oline. Hopefully our defense is preparing for it.

And Do we play our cards now?  I could see this being a vanilla game from us too.  One of their stud backers is out.  Do we test their depth and get this run game going downhill?

• Upvote 1

I think the Browns will have an uphill fight week 1 at KC. If this game was later in the season I would feel better about the Browns chances. I do think our defensive backfield will be better and it will be interesting to see how we cover Kelce and Hill, I think thats the real key. As for the pass rush, in the playoff game Garrett was still recovering from covid so I expect him to be better this Sunday. I have no idea what to expect from Clowney, I hope we can see him make plays and stay healthy. Also, would be interesting to see how the new DTs play this week. The defense probably needs playing time together to be able to contain the KC offense, however, if we manage to beat KC look out.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

While l don’t really know what “CPOE” or “EPA/Play” mean, l think we can all appreciate that Brandon Weeden is clearly depicted as the anti-Mahomes in whatever this graph is quantifying.

The best thing Brandon Weeden ever did in Game 1 of any season was getting trapped under the huge American flag prior to his first career game.

The worst thing Brandon Weeden ever did in Game 1 of any season was getting out from under the huge American flag prior to his first career game and actually playing in NFL games after.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

Bell out of order.. Please Knock !

View image on Twitter

Peli Film GIF - Peli Film Augenbrauen GIFs  Who goes there, to Chief's Kingdom ? 

It is I, Gumby from the Browns Board 🤓.... 

Send Chief little Dick & his Nag, to come get your lost Kingdom member zZero... No Map nor flow chart will help this spoiled ass 🎩 hat find his way to his home board..

GIF the wizard of oz, best animated GIFs free download     GIF wizard of oz, best animated GIFs free download  Read ya Sunday ! 

• Haha 2

Our terrible performance record for opening day is no secret.  We finally have a team that can win right out of the gate, and we have to draw the AFC Champs.  But ya know what?  These new Browns, Baker, Chubb, Stef, and all...they don't much care about negative karma.  All they've done since they've been here is end negative streaks.  The new reality is, the Chiefs are just in the way of the next negative to fall by the wayside.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Orion said:

Our terrible performance record for opening day is no secret.  We finally have a team that can win right out of the gate, and we have to draw the AFC Champs.  But ya know what?  These new Browns, Baker, Chubb, Stef, and all...they don't much care about negative karma.  All they've done since they've been here is end negative streaks.  The new reality is, the Chiefs are just in the way of the next negative to fall by the wayside.

I said exactly the same thing. We finally have a legit squad with the reigning coach of the year and we probably face off with the best team in the league...AT their house. Not just any house, the loudest place on earth. 

They're not immortal, as we all saw during the Super Bowl. But they're very good and they're going to be pissed off. We need to remember that the season is a marathon, not a sprint. I fully expect to lose this game and that's not a death sentence. Think about it, what other team would you predict to come into Kansas City and beat the Chiefs on opening day? Nobody, right? 

Let's hope for a good game and a chance to squeak one out in the 4th. Before Mahomes went out with injury, we couldn't stop them at ALL. It's going to be a tough game, people. But we can always hope! 

• Upvote 2

we couldn't stop them because of secondary play. and our lb's couldn't cover Kelce all game long. Kelce alone had 8 receptions for 109 yards, one TD.

safety play...lacking. LB play...lacking. Hill was 8 completions for 110 yards.

Pass defense is fixed now.  I don't expect Mahomes will be able to play easy pitch and catch with those two again.

and the Browns offense will be far more able to fool defenses - more tricks up their sleeve. It would be great if Schwartz can make a bit of a difference here and there. I'll be looking for a TD throw to Schwartz on the crossing patterns the first game.

Too many teams have been able to throw against the Browns weak pass defense for too long.

Not any more I don't think, barring injuries. We'll see.

• Like 1

the call hurt no doubt…

But some other problems…
We had personnel issues in the back 7 that were exploited by KC.

I thought we really missed a guy like OBJ in this one too- a WR that could loosen up the Defense.  We had their back 7 pressing our WRs and Baker needed to be perfect. 

We also made IMO a tactical error by not speeding the game up in the second half going no huddle and trying to get more possessions AFTER Mahomes went down.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

the call hurt no doubt…

But some other problems…
We had personnel issues in the back 7 that were exploited by KC.

I thought we really missed a guy like OBJ in this one too- a WR that could loosen up the Defense.  We had their back 7 pressing our WRs and Baker needed to be perfect. 

We also made IMO a tactical error by not speeding the game up in the second half going no huddle and trying to get more possessions AFTER Mahomes went down.  

👍 Not only that.. We got too conservative toward the end...

6 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

we couldn't stop them because of secondary play. and our lb's couldn't cover Kelce all game long. Kelce alone had 8 receptions for 109 yards, one TD.

safety play...lacking. LB play...lacking. Hill was 8 completions for 110 yards.

Pass defense is fixed now.  I don't expect Mahomes will be able to play easy pitch and catch with those two again.

and the Browns offense will be far more able to fool defenses - more tricks up their sleeve. It would be great if Schwartz can make a bit of a difference here and there. I'll be looking for a TD throw to Schwartz on the crossing patterns the first game.

Too many teams have been able to throw against the Browns weak pass defense for too long.

Not any more I don't think, barring injuries. We'll see.

I keep seeing this all over the place here.  "Pass defense is fixed"  .....Ok.  It's fixed....   So is KC's oline.  

On 9/7/2021 at 8:20 AM, Pat Mahomo said:

F90F0D67-2871-4EA6-A95B-37D1F7E377E8.jpeg

stupid shit stats mahomes came to a winning team much like lamar did what did Baker get ? oh thats right a team that had gone 1-31 big difference there skippy 

45 minutes ago, Pat Mahomo said:

I keep seeing this all over the place here.  "Pass defense is fixed"  ....

We don't know that to be true.  Of course it's the assumption because we've brought in so many players to fix it.  But it still remains to be seen.  I prefer Runyon's more pragmatic view....but there's no reason not to hope that our D shows that it's improved.

On 9/6/2021 at 8:57 PM, Pat Mahomo said:

.....because he played for 2 teams that didn't have any other notable DL.  If you bring 4 you can double someone....and on Seattle and Tennessee, he was the best option.  ....I love how you guys think now it will be different!  As if there isn't YEARS of tape showing him to be a mediocre player.

I think most people who have this opinion of Clowney measure with sacks. You don’t take into account his impact on the run game or QB pressures. I think that early and often in this game Garrett, Clowney, McKinley, Mcdowel and JOK are going to assault your O line. That’s especially true on the right side. Let’s see how that impacts Mahomes. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jcam222 said:

I think most people who have this opinion of Clowney measure with sacks. You don’t take into account his impact on the run game or QB pressures. I think that early and often in this game Garrett, Clowney, McKinley, Mcdowel and JOK are going to assault your O line. That’s especially true on the right side. Let’s see how that impacts Mahomes. 

Especially against this oline thats supposed to be ..."Fixed".. Oline needs longer than preseason to gel..... Last I checked.. Callahan is on our staff.. Not theirs!

• Upvote 1