THE BROWNS BOARD

Kicking woes all ready ?

calfoxwc

Looks like Parkey has been released by the Browns.

I learned something here. I always thought being placed on IR was a league specific thing, meaning he can’t play on any NFL team for the rest of the season. But apparently it’s a team specific thing, so it only means he can’t play for the Browns for the rest of the season, but conceivably could play for another team later this season when he heals up. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/23/2021 at 10:06 PM, Zombo said:

I thought maybe he had a son that was available.

Z

You would guess that the college ranks, in all divisions,  could or would crank out more qualified kickers to fill the new NFL needs.......I guess not.

Not that bad of pay any more ranging from Justin Tucker BAL $5,000,000/yr for the best to $660,000 for guys that don't even start.  Number 31 (3) is $808,333 not bad for a last place starter.

Parkey FYI from Spotac :

(not bad) look down here ↓↓↓↓

CONTRACT:1 yr(s) / $1,212,500 SIGNING BONUS$137,500 AVERAGE SALARY$1,212,500 GTD AT SIGN:$200,000 TOTAL GTD:$200,000 FREE AGENT:2022 / UFA

And our current kicker from JAX and stats from Spotac :

Current Contract

Chase McLaughlin signed a 2 year, $1,525,000 contract with the Jacksonville Jaguars, including an average annual salary of $762,500. In 2021, McLaughlin will earn a base salary of $850,000, while carrying a cap hit of $850,000.

CONTRACT TERMS:2 yr(s) / $1,525,000 SIGNING BONUS- AVERAGE SALARY$762,500 GTD AT SIGN:- TOTAL GTD:- FREE AGENT:2022 / RFA
  BONUS BREAKDOWN CAP DETAILS CASH DETAILS  
YEAR   AGE BASE SALARY CAP HIT DEAD CAP YEARLY CASH  
2020 Contract details by year 24 $119,118 $119,118 - $123,264($123,264)  
2021 Contract details by year 25 $850,000 $850,000 - $850,000($973,264)  
2022 Free Agent Year 26 RFA  
Sources: NFL contract specifics generally collected from verified reports.

15 hours ago, mjp28 said:

You would guess that the college ranks, in all divisions,  could or would crank out more qualified kickers to fill the new NFL needs.......I guess not.

Not that bad of pay any more ranging from Justin Tucker BAL $5,000,000/yr for the best to $660,000 for guys that don't even start.  Number 31 (3) is $808,333 not bad for a last place starter.

Parkey FYI from Spotac :

(not bad) look down here ↓↓↓↓

CONTRACT:1 yr(s) / $1,212,500 SIGNING BONUS$137,500 AVERAGE SALARY$1,212,500 GTD AT SIGN:$200,000 TOTAL GTD:$200,000 FREE AGENT:2022 / UFA

I don't think there is a lack of kickers.  There are a lack of opportunities.  Teams don't change kickers once they know the guy even if some rook comes in and looks great..  If it ain't broke, don't fix is applies with kickers. There are 32 jobs available and in any given year you might have 2-3 jobs that are really open.  Add in that kickers who get established play for 15 years, maybe more and it show just how few jobs are up for grabs.

4 minutes ago, ballpeen said:

I don't think there is a lack of kickers.  There are a lack of opportunities.  Teams don't change kickers once they know the guy even if some rook comes in and looks great..  If it ain't broke, don't fix is applies with kickers. There are 32 jobs available and in any given year you might have 2-3 jobs that are really open.  Add in that kickers who get established play for 15 years, maybe more and it show just how few jobs are up for grabs.

Pretty much the same for punters. Not a huge turnover.

It seems that finding a consistent kicker is as hard as finding a Franchise QB.. They are both on opposite ends of the spectrum so to speak...

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Zombo said:

Dude shanked an extra point and even his made kicks are shaky ... we can do better.

Z

Well....at least we've gotten a lot of practice at 'going for it' on 4th down.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

I am not sold on this kicker in any way and I am shocked that our front office saw enough of him to sign him. I miss Dawson and I even liked Cundiff but since then we have not had a kicker that  was worth a pint of piss. Remember how shitty Zane whatever his stupid name was we had in 2018? Missed extra points and field goals ? What a piss poor puts he was and really I held my breath every time Parky went out to kick because even if he didn't have it blocked chances of him making it were still slim. We have had the most blocked field goals then any other team by far. But hey either way GO BROWNS and Fuck Pittsburgh, Fuck the entire state of PA. 

1 hour ago, Browns fan 1977 said:

I am not sold on this kicker in any way and I am shocked that our front office saw enough of him to sign him. I miss Dawson and I even liked Cundiff but since then we have not had a kicker that  was worth a pint of piss. Remember how shitty Zane whatever his stupid name was we had in 2018? Missed extra points and field goals ? What a piss poor puts he was and really I held my breath every time Parky went out to kick because even if he didn't have it blocked chances of him making it were still slim. We have had the most blocked field goals then any other team by far. But hey either way GO BROWNS and Fuck Pittsburgh, Fuck the entire state of PA. 

Welcome to the board ‘77. I’m pretty confident in McLaughlin though. He’s got that whole clean slate thing going for him here and for some unknown reason l just think he’s got the right mix of confidence and skill to succeed here. I think he’ll do fine. 

15 hours ago, Browns fan 1977 said:

We have had the most blocked field goals then any other team by far

Not in 2020 - and change the year selector to 2019 or 2018.. Browns had 1 FG blocked in 2020.  Zane had 1 FG blocked in 2018.  I invite you to let the data update your feelings..

Nobody's saying they're all-pros, but the salary for a notably better kicker such as the Ravens is roughly a starter at CB [$5M] .. I'm not sold on that either.  For the veteran minimum you'll get 18 or 19 of 23 each year..

Man-O-man we've got some frail kickers.

What's the 72 yard guy doin'?  Maybe we'll pull him off the PS and get him on the field.

As I've said, fortunately Stef practiced going for it on 4th down a whole bunch this preseason.

12 minutes ago, Orion said:

Man-O-man we've got some frail kickers.

What's the 72 yard guy doin'?  Maybe we'll pull him off the PS and get him on the field.

As I've said, fortunately Stef practiced going for it on 4th down a whole bunch this preseason.

the kid from smu hey maybe it is all meant to happen for him

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, ATOM said:

the kid from smu hey maybe it is all meant to happen for him

Maybe.  But somehow, the gimmick guy never seems to make the big time.  Although, our punter is a little off top dead center... 

Maybe I am letting the blocked kicks from years past get to me but i remember the blocked fg against the rat birds I remember the game winning kick against the Steelers in 2018 so take your data and your half assed feelings and compare them to all the kicks we had since 2013 and you will see the most blocked kicks.  

7 hours ago, Browns fan 1977 said:

Maybe I am letting the blocked kicks from years past get to me but i remember the blocked fg against the rat birds I remember the game winning kick against the Steelers in 2018 so take your data and your half assed feelings and compare them to all the kicks we had since 2013 and you will see the most blocked kicks.  

And welcome to the board also, hope to see you around !   Now you can miss a steady guy like Dawson maybe not lighting up the scoreboard with 60 yard bombs like some other guys but all in all a steady player.

When you have ""issues"  with the least paid guys by position the P & K guys.......you might have a BIG problem winning some close games.

SO the solution now is.........?.

cleveland_browns_forum_940.png.b1a9c344d7f40890b0046c59e6906365-1.png

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, ATOM said:

The Scottish Hammer

You just wonder with 00:03 on the clock and you need a 49 yard FG to win versus KC on the road what will happen with _________ coming off the bench to try one.

If he really was good he'd already be the kicker,   right ?   :o

So what other FAs are out there ?   :lol:

1 hour ago, mjp28 said:

You just wonder with 00:03 on the clock and you need a 49 yard FG to win versus KC on the road what will happen with _________ coming off the bench to try one.

If he really was good he'd already be the kicker,   right ?   :o

So what other FAs are out there ?   :lol:

In Phil Dawson's 1st year, he went 8 for 12 FGs with a long of 49 yards. Many wanted him GONE. He seemed to get better & stronger as he aged, so I'm willing to be patient. Let's just hope that WHOEVER kicks for us is good under pressure.

Mike

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Canton Mike said:

In Phil Dawson's 1st year, he went 8 for 12 FGs with a long of 49 yards. Many wanted him GONE. He seemed to get better & stronger as he aged, so I'm willing to be patient. Let's just hope that WHOEVER kicks for us is good under pressure.

Mike

Good point -but- it just seems to be a win it now attitude in sports,  more than I can ever remember.

Not much patience to give a kicker or anyone else time to work things out........ plus it is the FOs job to get it right and NOW !

Sounds easy huh ?    :lol:

9 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Good point -but- it just seems to be a win it now attitude in sports,  more than I can ever remember.

Not much patience to give a kicker or anyone else time to work things out........ plus it is the FOs job to get it right and NOW !

Sounds easy huh ?    :lol:

I'm just glad my last name is not Berry, Stefanski, or Priefer!! Good luck to those guys!! :D

Mike

Kicker seemed fine from what little we saw. The biggest question is with the punter. I'm ready to cut that fool. If you can't catch a snap in the biggest moment of the game, get off my team. Gillan is an average punter at best. Seriously, when is the last time you EVER saw an NFL punter drop a snap? A PERFECT snap. 

GTFOH, Scottish Douche Nozzle. Everyone can make a mistake, but you don't get to make THAT one.

9 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

Kicker seemed fine from what little we saw. The biggest question is with the punter. I'm ready to cut that fool. If you can't catch a snap in the biggest moment of the game, get off my team. Gillan is an average punter at best. Seriously, when is the last time you EVER saw an NFL punter drop a snap? A PERFECT snap. 

GTFOH, Scottish Douche Nozzle. Everyone can make a mistake, but you don't get to make THAT one.

The guy cost them a game. Along with Chubb fumbling. Would you cut Chubb?