THE BROWNS BOARD

Higgins

onkyoreceiver

42 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

Pretty sure l saw him on the field at one point, but no passes thrown his way. I was pretty surprised Schwartz got more action that him or DPJ. 

Schwartz filled the role of OBJ top buster better than the other two IMO, which I think was needed given OBJs absence. 

I think Higgins has some problem we don't see or read about.  The guy is a pretty solid player, and when pressed in to action he shows up, but with every coach we have had he seems to find his way to the bottom of the depth chart.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, ballpeen said:

I think Higgins has some problem we don't see or read about.  The guy is a pretty solid player, and when pressed in to action he shows up, but with every coach we have had he seems to find his way to the bottom of the depth chart.

I always think back to a prime time game where Chris Collinsworth said, "He's not particularly fast, he doesn't run particularly good routes, but he has a chemistry with Baker."  And I'm guessing, as you said, every coach he's had sees what Collinsworth saw.

3 hours ago, ballpeen said:

I just think it’s a tool kit issue. There’s just other guys on the team who do things better than him. OBJ and DPJ have the edge on him with speed and circus catch ability, Schwartz has the speed edge on him, and Landry catches contested passes like no one on the team and does everything else well. 

• Like 1

The reason why you got a couple of the routes from Schwartz that you saw is because he's going to draw single.   That was what he got when they turned him over to the safety on that vertical post-corner shot.

He's an unproven 3rd rounder with a high-ish collegiate drop rate.  No DC is going to throw a bracket, shade a safety his way.

Yet...

Be patient.  DPJ and AS may be the future of this receiving corps.

2 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

The reason why you got a couple of the routes from Schwartz that you saw is because he's going to draw single.   That was what he got when they turned him over to the safety on that vertical post-corner shot.

He's an unproven 3rd rounder with a high-ish collegiate drop rate.  No DC is going to throw a bracket, shade a safety his way.

Yet...

Be patient.  DPJ and AS may be the future of this receiving corps.

I don't disagree.  I like Higgins Ok, but he isn't any kind of long term answer.  He is just a guy IMO. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, ballpeen said:

I don't disagree.  I like Higgins Ok, but he isn't any kind of long term answer.  He is just a guy IMO. 

To the naked eye, you're right. He's not special, but there's just something about him when he's on the field. He makes plays with Baker and somehow gets open quite frequently. The problem is, how does he get on the field? I think it's safe to say Schwartz surprised us all by receiving 30 snaps last week.

We've all heard ad nauseam about DPJ, but the writing on the wall is our receivers will eventually be OBJ, Landry...and Schwartz. Think about how difficult that is to cover. You're not gonna be playing too much man coverage with that out there, and you've still got Chubb, Hooper, and Njoku to boot. That's pretty insane. 

Where does Higgins fit in? We don't often go four WR formation, in fact, we spend most of our time in 12 formation I believe (2 TE, 2 WR). Now, Higgins COULD get in because I can't believe OBJ will get that many reps at first, but he still has to get past DPJ, who has absolutely blown up in camp. Injury not withstanding, Higgins will have a ton of work to do to get in the game. 

But OBJ isn't back yet, so what's that mean? It means you'll see Higgins at some point, and don't be surprised if you see a back shoulder throw or a red zone shot to him. Coaches know he has something special with Baker and they'll look to exploit it. 

So many people on this board and on social media are saying that we're better than the Texans. Let me tell you, they're 1-0 and we're not. Tomorrow's game will be full of turnovers, missed FG's, failed 4th down conversions, and other football atrocities. Why? Because when you play against bad teams, weird shit happens. I'm telling you, it's going to be UGLY, and IF we win, it'll be in the 4th quarter. I've seen way too many football games to think we're going to "out-talent" them. It just doesn't work that way. Are we better? Yeah, but that's not always enough. 

On 9/18/2021 at 10:30 PM, jiggins7919 said:

So many people on this board and on social media are saying that we're better than the Texans.

Scrappy bunch especially with TT at QB. But for his hammie, Sunday could have ended very differently.

• Like 1

On 9/18/2021 at 11:30 PM, jiggins7919 said:

the writing on the wall is our receivers will eventually be OBJ, Landry...and Schwartz

Landry played hurt much of last year and couldn't beat press-man from anyone especially BAL, is on IR now.. I think Landry is gone after 2021 because for whatever reason he can't stay healthy.

It's a cold world but this is life.

55 minutes ago, Unsympathetic said:

Landry played hurt much of last year and couldn't beat press-man from anyone especially BAL, is on IR now.. I think Landry is gone after 2021 because for whatever reason he can't stay healthy.

It's a cold world but this is life.

Neither can OBJ... OBJ hasnt had a great season in 5 years...

2 hours ago, browns52 said:

we don't do well against mobile qb's.do we......tt was having his way big time....we would have lost if not for the hamme......we dodged a bullet...

That bullet coming back to Cleveland Sunday in the form of Justin Fields. I fully anticipate a typical Bears shit show type game. Holding penalties, deflected passes, and whatever else...the Bears ALWAYS muddy the waters. 

If we're winning in the second half, I could see our running game finally coming alive, but I don't expect to run the ball early. Why? Because the Bears are going to SELL OUT against the run, and they actually have the ability to stop it. You remember that Titans win last year? We all expected Chubb vs Henry to be a ground game bonanza but instead we assaulted the Titans through the air. Don't be surprised if we do that again, continuing the trend of our short passing game and taking calculated deep shots. 

• Upvote 1

What I'm looking forward to is for people in real-time Sunday commenting about how the Browns seemingly can't generate a pass rush, but come Monday some obscure stat tells the same people that we have really good pass rushers, and that what they saw on Sunday wasn't really what they saw. 😁

Regarding Landry, I have this nagging worry, and have had it since the end of the season, that he's starting to hit the wall regarding his productivity. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

What I'm looking forward to is for people in real-time Sunday commenting about how the Browns seemingly can't generate a pass rush, but come Monday some obscure stat tells the same people that we have really good pass rushers, and that what they saw on Sunday wasn't really what they saw. 😁

Regarding Landry, I have this nagging worry, and have had it since the end of the season, that he's starting to hit the wall regarding his productivity. 

You COULD be right, but it's also a side effect of our offensive strategy as a whole. We simply do not throw to WRs that many times a game. We run it a lot, we throw to TEs, and we spread the ball around. It's so tough for anyone to get 7-8 receptions. 

Still, you could be right. I guess we'll see, but I still love the guy so much. The real thing I want to see is OBJ. While I expect SOME level of "pitch count", I don't believe it'll be drastic. If all goes well OBJ will have 6 receptions for 75+ yards. 

10 hours ago, nickers said:

Neither can OBJ... OBJ hasnt had a great season in 5 years...

Well his TD numbers have gone down since 2016 but he did have two 1,000+ yard seasons after that  -and-  he was injured in 2020 and 2017 so 2021 just might be a put up or shut up season.  We'll see when he actually shows up on the field.

........ edit add,  are these near HOF numbers ?   Can he still turn it on ?

Career stats

Year
Team
REC
YDS
AVG
LNG
TD

Career

Edited by mjp28

2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

When you talk about hitting the wall do you mean not improving?  I think I’ll take his current top end right now even if he’s capped out potential wise. He was a 100 catch guy on below average teams.  That’s not his role now.
He’s a slot guy that threatens a defense enough that he’s not a possession WR.  What he lacks in top end speed and burst he makes up in route running and football IQ and up to now he’s had the #1 quality.  He’s available. 

regarding the defense the sample size is too small…and it is somewhat skewed facing Patrick Mahomes. 

I’ll diagnose though and I don’t not watch midweek film.  I watch the game I may rewind some plays…But What I see is the QBs (three thus far) we’ve played they have had no problem finding their first read.  Confirmed by the fact that most of the time snap…and is ball out. We are debating on here what the issue is…but this is a very loud fact that is hard to ignore. 

So what they are seeing pre-snap they understand it and they digest it and ball is out with no surprises post snap from our defense. This is happening in under 3 seconds.  We need to get the QB and coordinator thinking a bit and maybe going to a second read and that’s when I think our close calls on sacks turn into sacks. 

The Bears are going to be vanilla and then use Justin’s legs…but in the second half when the Bears are down and they have to open it up we will see if we’ve adjusted.

19 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Well his TD numbers have gone down since 2016 but he did have two 1,000+ yard seasons after that  -and-  he was injured in 2020 and 2017 so 2021 just might be a put up or shut up season.  We'll see when he actually shows up on the field.

........ edit add,  are these near HOF numbers ?   Can he still turn it on ?

Career stats

Year
Team
REC
YDS
AVG
LNG
TD

Career

Not HOF numbers…and he’s not in the Terrell Davis short span incredible number category.  He needs at least a couple true Pro Bowl type number years 1250 yards 10 TDs and maybe be the key cog or one of the key cogs in a Super Bowl Title.

2 hours ago, nickers said:

I just get the feeling OBJ's best days are behind him..

Like many here I resemble that remark. And great hands ain't a bad thing in a WR...

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Like many here I resemble that remark. And great hands ain't a bad thing in a WR...

yeah.. hes got great hands.. But.. He's FRAGILE!