THE BROWNS BOARD

Hospital Ward?

ballpeen

Any word on his neck injury?  Is it serious or just a stiff neck that knocked him out?

He is a good player but I hope to heck we don't throw a boatload of money at him in the way of a contract. If not his neck, it is something else.

I wouldn't want to see a guy like Teller walk in favor of keeping Hospital Ward around.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, ballpeen said:

Any word on his neck injury?  Is it serious or just a stiff neck that knocked him out?

He is a good player but I hope to heck we don't throw a boatload of money at him in the way of a contract. If not his neck, it is something else.

I wouldn't want to see a guy like Teller walk in favor of keeping Hospital Ward around.

He's a heckuva player, but is he someone you can depend upon? 

I really had high hopes for Denzel Ward when i saw that he bulked up to 190 lbs coming into camp.. But seriously, I think Gregg Williams tagged Ward's NFL injury history as a true thing...

Watch the same size & 190 lbs Tre'Davious White play at the Bills 👀.. also, Credit Sean McDermott & Leslie Frazier coaching tackling and hardly ever a back-end coverage blunder.. The Bills are showing why defensive secondary continuity matters... their Chiefs win was a good secondary watch.. 

• Upvote 1

Ward and Conklin are the one's I'm holding my breath on. Stef sounded like he got some bad news yesterday.

I'm hearing Greedy is going to be OK, Myles is fine and Clowney has a knee issue, but I'm guessing it is not too bad.

Z

2 hours ago, nickers said:

Ward is a tough loss... But his availability... Or lack thereof... Bothers me...

Right.

Seems the injury bug has plagued the Browns secondary for years, including Haden who departed 5 or 6 years ago. 

• Upvote 2

Just saw that Janovich, MJ Stewart and Chris Hubbard put on IR. I wasn’t aware Janovich was injured and l thought Hubbard was already on IR. 

Corresponding moves, DE Joe Jackson gets to ride the active roster train this week along with FB Johnny Stanton, and CB Tim Harris gets elevated from the PS. T Alex Taylor signed to the PS too.

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/browns-place-3-players-on-ir-make-other-roster-moves?fbclid=IwAR1u3RiqMt2Z0bsqOaT9TVF0MudehAtIeKwitPUR2KsotTACAkaM7aBZCb4

I'll tell you what, players now-a-days play with hardly any pads on anymore.  The shoulder pads on 'skilled' players are little itty bitty things.  And below the waist, virtually no pads at all.  And they're extending the season.  You KNOW they'll want a nice even 18 games, rather than this lopsided schedule thing they've got going on now.

Ward is out.  That's bad.  It's happening too often.  But he's our best CB.  He's a good player.  Newsome was out too.  Greedy Williams is gonna be 'out' soon enough.  But all of the other backups at CB that we were using were also getting injured in the game.  Might as well have GOOD players getting hurt than mediocre guys who are gonna get hurt too.

1 hour ago, Orion said:

I'll tell you what, players now-a-days play with hardly any pads on anymore.  The shoulder pads on 'skilled' players are little itty bitty things.  And below the waist, virtually no pads at all.  And they're extending the season.  You KNOW they'll want a nice even 18 games, rather than this lopsided schedule thing they've got going on now.

Ward is out.  That's bad.  It's happening too often.  But he's our best CB.  He's a good player.  Newsome was out too.  Greedy Williams is gonna be 'out' soon enough.  But all of the other backups at CB that we were using were also getting injured in the game.  Might as well have GOOD players getting hurt than mediocre guys who are gonna get hurt too.

I don’t follow that logic “might as well have good players getting hurt”.  If we are eventually going to pay Ward 17-20M a year into his late 20s we don’t need that cap space on the IR

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Orion said:

My point, they're ALL going to get hurt.  Would you rather have good players or cheap players?  

I might not agree on all.  It seems some get hurt more often.  That is what I don't want.

Face it, Hospital Ward is just a frail player.  If he didn't get involved with tackling players, he  probably wouldn't get hurt expect for a hamstring issue once or twice a season.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ballpeen said:

I might not agree on all.  It seems some get hurt more often.  That is what I don't want.

Face it, Hospital Ward is just a frail player.  If he didn't get involved with tackling players, he  probably wouldn't get hurt expect for a hamstring issue once or twice a season.

Meh, Joe Haden used to give himself concussions on the reg, he seemed to out grow that though. Maybe give Hospital Ward some Adderall??

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Orion said:

My point, they're ALL going to get hurt.  Would you rather have good players or cheap players?  

Ward is 0 for 3 staying healthy. He’s missed a month in each of his first three seasons.  He’s missed 12 games and he’s still on his first contract. 

2 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

Ward is 0 for 3 staying healthy. He’s missed a month in each of his first three seasons.  He’s missed 12 games and he’s still on his first contract. 

Yeah, he's brittle.  But he gets better.  :)

On 10/13/2021 at 1:55 PM, hx214 said:

Well, I just read that Greedy, Ward and Newsome all will practice today along with Jed so that's good news

Yes, they all practiced yesterday.  (LP). Ditto Wills. A bunch of guys apparently getting R&R days off...   https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/team/injury-report/

On 10/13/2021 at 2:24 PM, SdBacker80 said:

Through his first 3 years myles Garrett missed more than games than "hospital" ward missed through his first 3 if we're going with this availability argument

2 hours ago, bjh2130 said:

Through his first 3 years myles Garrett missed more than games than "hospital" ward missed through his first 3 if we're going with this availability argument

I’m not discussing Myles Garrett.  You have no idea how I feel about him nor should you or anyone else care.

I didn’t call him “hospital” Ward.

My post just stated facts.  

Right now, I’m curious what he and his agent want on his next contract.  

21 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

I’m not discussing Myles Garrett.  You have no idea how I feel about him nor should you or anyone else care.

I didn’t call him “hospital” Ward.

My post just stated facts.  

Right now, I’m curious what he and his agent want on his next contract.  

True.  Most of those were because of a suspension.  

Garrett can take care of that, and has.  Hospital Ward is still frail.

2 hours ago, ballpeen said:

Garrett can take care of that, and has.  Hospital Ward is still frail.

One of these things is not like the other....

CBs take a beating.... always have always will. Bigger question is when Ward answers the proverbal bell, is he enough of a difference maker? Answer that and then worry about the Cap impact of a part timer.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

One of these things is not like the other....

CBs take a beating.... always have always will. Bigger question is when Ward answers the proverbal bell, is he enough of a difference maker? Answer that and then worry about the Cap impact of a part timer.

It's a good question and I understand your point.  Point taken.  I don't like to simply throw back questions, but in todays NFL can you really separate the two?

I understand that corners can get beat up, especially if they are foolish about things.  We had a DC who called out Ward for being a stupid player for the way he tackles.

Deion Sanders who was known for being a poor tackler because he really didn't stick his head in there.  If he couldn't arm tackle or run the OB, it didn't happen.  He is in the HOF.  Now, Ward is far from Sanders  in any way, shape, or form, but with his paper mache body, I don't pay him a boat load.

3 hours ago, ballpeen said:

It's a good question and I understand your point.  Point taken.  I don't like to simply throw back questions, but in todays NFL can you really separate the two?

I understand that corners can get beat up, especially if they are foolish about things.  We had a DC who called out Ward for being a stupid player for the way he tackles.

Deion Sanders who was known for being a poor tackler because he really didn't stick his head in there.  If he couldn't arm tackle or run the OB, it didn't happen.  He is in the HOF.  Now, Ward is far from Sanders  in any way, shape, or form, but with his paper mache body, I don't pay him a boat load.

I don't think deion would be deion in today's NFL. Ward has led the league the past two years with the lowest completion percentage and passer rating allowed when the receiver he is responsible for guarding is targeted. Last year he led the nfl in "ball hawk rate" per pff which is percentage of throws to your target that result in a deflection or int near 25%. So on average 1 out of every 4 throws his way he gets a hand on.

"Ward was elite when it came to blanketing pass catchers, posting a tight window rate of 40.5 percent, the second-highest mark among corners behind only Jaire Alexander. His ballhawk rate was the highest among all qualifying corners at 24.3 percent."

Also apparently since 2018 he has been ranked the top man to man corner

• Upvote 1