THE BROWNS BOARD

Nick Chubb ruled out for sundays game

ATOM

I can't find anything data wise, but there is no way that injuries aren't up by magnitudes compared to 2019 (which is probably more accurately comparable). I'll be very interested to see someone take a deeper dive into why. My thought process is that with COVID restrictions being much less, workouts are back to where they were. 2020 threw such a wrench into that these soft tissue and in many cases non-contact injuries are piling up.Ā 

To think of it this way, most top 10 picks in the fantasy football were pretty standard. Using that metric (I get it, but still), these guys have all missed time or will be out: Chubb, McCaffrey, Cook, Clyde Edwards-Helaire, Saquon Barkley, Chris Carson (more like a top 15 guy but).Ā  Ekeler missed some time, Jarvis and the list just goes on and on. It's wild.

Random events cluster non-randomly.

The injuries are different, though.

Saquon's ankle injury is pretty bad. Jeudy hasĀ a high ankle injury - a different location. McCaffrey [hamstring] Chubb [calf] are different muscles. Cook's injury is similar to WIlls -- initially relatively benign rolled ankle but if you don't let it heal it's a problem for longer.Ā  E-H had an MCL.. Carson has a chronic neck injury from weightlifting years ago.

Ā 

So, more top guys injured, sure.Ā  That's a pretty small sample size and randomness does that.Ā  But I'd wonder how you'd be able to say more "injuries in the NFL" ... because when you include the bottom-roster guys I'm not immediately certain the overall rate [numerator: # guys injured // denominator: guys playing in NFL that season] is different.

15 minutes ago, Unsympathetic said:

Random events cluster non-randomly..

The injuries are different, though..

Saquon's ankle injury is horrible. Jeudy had a high ankle. McCaffrey [hamstring] Chubb [calf] are different muscles. Cook's injury is similar to WIlls -- initially relatively benign rolled ankle but if you don't let it heal it's a problem for longer.Ā  E-H had an MCL.. Carson has a chronic neck injury from weightlifting years ago

Ā 

More top guys injured, sure.Ā  But I'd wonder how you'd be able to say more "injuries in the NFL as a whole" ... because when you include the bottom-roster guys I'm not immediately certain the overall rate is actually different.

Yes, I paid for grad school TA'ing statistics for engineers.....ļ»æ

Indeed, correlation does not equal causation. Russell Wilson, for example, was absolutely just bad luck with his finger. Still though, I have to believe there's a basic report of total injuries (what i'd determine as a person being out or put on IR) for the season and added as total games. Maybe there isn't, actually I really don't know. An interesting thought, though as some of these guys are repeat offenders on injuries. I wonder if the inability for qualified rehab based on COVID restrictions mattered.Ā 

Either way, I'd be very surprised if injuries weren't at a much higher rate this year.

28 minutes ago, ATOM said:

landry may be back so that would be a huge help and maybe obj willĀ have a break out gameĀ 

I expect OBJ to be traded by or before the deadline... I just see total disconnect between him and Mayfield.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, nickers said:

I expect OBJ to be traded by or before the deadline... I just see total disconnect between him and Mayfield.

hey ,,,,,i said that already on another thread....i agree with you....this season is going down the shitter.....i am hoping he goes to green bay....i really don't want to see brady win yet another ring....

52 minutes ago, jrb12711 said:

I can't find anything data wise, but there is no way that injuries aren't up by magnitudes compared to 2019 (which is probably more accurately comparable). I'll be very interested to see someone take a deeper dive into why. My thought process is that with COVID restrictions being much less, workouts are back to where they were. 2020 threw such a wrench into that these soft tissue and in many cases non-contact injuries are piling up.Ā 

To think of it this way, most top 10 picks in the fantasy football were pretty standard. Using that metric (I get it, but still), these guys have all missed time or will be out: Chubb, McCaffrey, Cook, Clyde Edwards-Helaire, Saquon Barkley, Chris Carson (more like a top 15 guy but).Ā  Ekeler missed some time, Jarvis and the list just goes on and on. It's wild.

i don't know if wills is playing sunday.....because good ole baker is 1 hit away from a season ending injury on that non throwing shoulder of his....you may have to add him to the list....

2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Is the weather still looking a little rough for the passing game? Last I saw there was predictions of 20-30 mph winds.Ā 

Ya, I don't know if the weather man around here is smoking dope or what, it was suppose to Thunderstorm and rain all day the last two days here and it's been sunny and 80...(I'm about 35 mins south east of Cleveland)

9 hours ago, browns52 said:

hey ,,,,,i said that already on another thread....i agree with you....this season is going down the shitter.....i am hoping he goes to green bay....i really don't want to see brady win yet another ring....

FWI, Um, 0-5 is in the shitter like the position the Lions and Jags are in. Couple sub par games and it's TRADE THE BUM!!!!Ā  With a $15 million dead cap hit, he's going nowhere this year.Ā 

On 10/16/2021 at 12:23 PM, ATOM said:

really ? with only 5 games in how did you come to that conclusionĀ  ?

eh.....watcha think now.....i don't like it as much as you do but crap.......its going down the shitter.....this ain't good....we still play the ratbirds twice, the packers the bengals twice the pats in foxboro and colonol potter is looking up at the sky with another helicopter of more wounded folks arriving....shit...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, browns52 said:

eh.....watcha think now.....i don't like it as much as you do but crap.......its going down the shitter.....this ain't good....we still play the ratbirds twice, the packers the bengals twice the pats in foxboro and colonol potter is looking up at the sky with another helicopter of more wounded folks arriving....shit...

Airplane - Comedy In The Cinema