THE BROWNS BOARD

M-Odell to the Rams

mjp28

17 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

yep - that was surely the worst all time stupid trade.

I disagree.  Paul Brown traded Dough Atkins because he burped in a team meeting for a 3rd round pick. Dough Atkins went on to a HOF career and is considered one of the best DE's to ever play the game.  

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/11/04/browns-plan-to-release-odell-beckham-jr-on-friday/

That wake is probably already been posted, I just saw it. This is a mystery. Even if stefanski system isn't copacetic with what Beckham brings to the table can't imagine that with his talent and speed he shouldn't be able to fit into whatever pass plays stefanski would call?

WSS

On 11/3/2021 at 3:49 PM, hoorta said:

It will cost us about $8 million to flat out cut him. Hmmm... Fact is, Baker played better with OBJ not on the field. And if Landry is POed that we sent his good pal packing, it will only cost us $1,5 million to release Jarvis next spring. We're paying him #1 WR money to be a great possession receiver. Clears a lot of salary cap at the WR position. 

"Generally speaking players cut with four or more years of NFL experience immediately become free agents and are free to sign with any NFL team. However, during the season, beginning immediately after the NFL trade deadline passes and continuing through the end of the regular season, vested veterans (players with four or more years of NFL service) are also subject to the waiver process."

You interested in getting picked up by the Texans\ Lions Odell?  Hang in there until the end of the season, and you can pick your landing spot. 

I'm not worried about the Browns going on food stamps as much as I worry about another Poseiden Adventure sinking a season when there's an intervention to be had. Outside of Jarvis Landry, we haven't had a lot of luck with LSU guys coincidence or not.  Delpit had a season ending achilles tendon tear last preseason.  Now that he's back, the only good form tackle I've seen from him was from the blind side of a QB on a blitz.  Jacob Phillips is on IR this year.   Meanwhile, this looks like the first stretch of Greedy Williams looking like a starting caliber corner since we drafted him.

I see a lot interesting posts wondering who is more at fault between Baker & OBJ as well as a thread calling out Stefanski.  Like we saw back in 2019 when we lost BOTH of our starting tackles and then the 1st tackle off the bench left the game hurt (Lamm/Lame),  it's not the ideal time to ask ANY QB to sit back there patiently in order to launch the deeper throws and comfortably get through the progressions.  Just out of curiosity, anyone remember what positions the FO prioritized in the draft and FA heading into 2020?  Left and Right Tackle (Wills and Conklin).  Was the successful record to follow really just a coincidence?  And when we lost BOTH guys (plus backup T Chris Hubbard) for a stretch this year - who else beside Baker got hurt enough to miss games?  Chubb and Hunt, which means we're pretty much talking about everyone lining up behind Center.  The Browns were 3-1 before both starting Tackles went down without Chris Hubbard being available as the fist solution.  Having said that, Blake Hance looks to be transitioning well from OG to RT as he gets more experience.

I think we're seeing a sum of things that we just can't easily sum up to if we just get rid of Baker - that we're right back to that flawless football we had right before we drafted him.  Yeah, I REALLY miss that 1-31 football man!  Let's not pretend Baker was surrounded by nothing but Pro Bowl talent his rookie year.  We started that season out 0-1-1 plus a 14 point deficit to the Jets before Baker got his first action.  He came in and led the Browns to a comeback win over the Jets.  The same franchise that was 1-31 plus 0-1-1 before Baker, went 7-7 during the 1st 14 games he played.  In the process, he set the NFL rookie QB record for TD passes with 27 before Herbert broke that a few years later with 31 or 32 (in 2 more starts than Baker had).  Now he's in something like his 4th different offense in his 5th season.  

I LIKE what Stefanski has brought to this team unless someone wants to fart in church with how much winning 11 regular season games + 1 PLAYOFF win in Pittsburgh was unforgivable here.  Good luck with that!  Having said that, I DO wonder if Stefanski's TE friendly offense that catered to the running game (Dalvin Cook) in Minnesota pisses off the deep threat weapon like Stefon Diggs.  Remember Diggs wanting out of Minnesota?  And who went on trial as the bad investment in the process?  Kirk Cousins.  Cousins is quietly having a good year; but I don't know if that's translating to a higher winning percentage in Minnesota these days.  

In the end, I think it's important to remember how pathetic this franchise was at finding the right QB since 1999.  As much as we want to say poor Tim Couch just went to a bad team - Philly drafted 2nd because they had the worst record depicting the worst team in the NFL in 1998.  Having said that, they were the ones that drafted a QB (Donovan McNabb) that turned a league worst franchise into a team that frequented the playoffs in something like 8 of McNabb's 1st 10 seasons in the league.  They went to 5 NFC Championships and 1 SB in that time. If that's not enough, Kurt Warner was also available to us in the 99 Expansion Draft; but our FO chose the gambling background of Scot Milanovich. Countless draft day whiffs followed with the QB position in a place where continuity of anything except losing was permitted. 

Not to sound like a glorious night of bedroom gymnastics but sorry for the length...

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, ballpeen said:

I disagree.  Paul Brown traded Dough Atkins because he burped in a team meeting for a 3rd round pick. Dough Atkins went on to a HOF career and is considered one of the best DE's to ever play the game.  

wow, awesome ! That is even before MY time! LOL ( or I was at least really young at the time lol)

I honestly never once heard about him.

This is great:

https://www.sportsmockery.com/chicago-bears/how-doug-atkins-got-himself-traded-to-chicago-is-legendary/

How Doug Atkins Got Himself Traded to Chicago Is Legendary

The OBJ saga or pee-wee football taken to a new level.

"My dad says that the other kids are getting more touches than me.  I'm quitting (on my team and players) and going home."

.......oh and I have another Nike $5,000,000 check to cash.  

~~~~~~~~~~~

Bottom line, he was a spoiled prima dona from day one.  Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.    

• Upvote 5

1 minute ago, mjp28 said:

The OBJ saga or pee-wee football taken to a new level.

"My dad says that the other kids are getting more touches than me.  I'm quitting (on my team and players) and going home."

.......oh and I have another Nike $5,000,000 check to cash.  

~~~~~~~~~~~

Bottom line, he was a spoiled prima dona from day one.  Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.    

I agree. He didn’t want to be here from day 1. Too bad he was hurt or they could’ve dumped him last year.

We have all seen the team play better when OBJ was not on the field. 

• Upvote 1

Believe me when I tell you... This snake doesn't give a shit about You.. Cleveland or it's fans.. This snake cares about one thing only... Getting paid!... I'm glad Berry sent this emasculated POS packing... He has 0 back bone... Bye loser...

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Browns149 said:

I agree. He didn’t want to be here from day 1. Too bad he was hurt or they could’ve dumped him last year.

We have all seen the team play better when OBJ was not on the field. . <----. 

Kind of amazing if he was "still" a superstar receiver a the team not missing you too much when you are gone...... right ?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, LBC mike said:

lions are first on waiver wire.

Tweet

vHEBKh9T_normal.png

Current #NFLNFL_2021_2022.png
Waiver Order
1. DET
2. MIA
3. HOU
4. JAX
5. NYJ
6. NYG
7. WSH
8. PHI
9. SEA
10. CHI
11. ATL
12. SF
13. MIN
14. IND
15. NE
16. DEN
17. CLE 18. KC 19. CAR 20. LAC 21. PIT 22. CIN 23. NO 24. TB 25. BUF 26. LV 27. DAL 28. GB 29. BAL 30. LAR 31. TEN 32. ARZ

Monday by 4PM,  highest claim is rewarded  (or 💩)

• Thanks 1

On 11/3/2021 at 3:57 PM, bjh2130 said:

Did I miss something? Has been out there that obj asked his father to post this video on Instagram? I agree you can't have this in the locker room and it looks awful but I'm just curious if it has been shown that obj wanted his dad to post this? The way it is being covered it seems like obj himself posted this or said something. 

I don't think he ever refuted any of the points in the video, might as well posted it himself. 

13 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

Current #NFLNFL_2021_2022.png
17. CLE 18. KC 19. CAR 20. LAC 21. PIT 22. CIN 23. NO 24. TB 25. BUF 26. LV 27. DAL 28. GB 29. BAL 30. LAR 31. TEN 32. ARZ

Monday by 4PM,  highest claim is rewarded  (or 💩)

Strange or not where the AFCN teams are on the list.  CLE #17 ?

Um, some receivers have done this in ONE season not 2-1\2 FYI Odell

"In 29 games, Beckham caught 114 of 210 targets for 1,586 yards and seven touchdowns over two and a half seasons." 

https://www.nfl.com/news/kevin-stefanski-odell-beckham-release-unfortunate-browns-are-moving-on

https://www.nfl.com/news/odell-beckham-jr-s-next-nfl-team-here-are-six-ideal-fits-for-the-three-time-pro-

3 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Um, some receivers have done this in ONE season not 2-1\2 FYI Odell

"In 29 games, Beckham caught 114 of 210 targets for 1,586 yards and seven touchdowns over two and a half seasons." 

https://www.nfl.com/news/kevin-stefanski-odell-beckham-release-unfortunate-browns-are-moving-on

https://www.nfl.com/news/odell-beckham-jr-s-next-nfl-team-here-are-six-ideal-fits-for-the-three-time-pro-

i looked at the top 6 mentioned above  and the waiver  order I believe seattle if they have the money and would be their 3rd wr

3 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

He's absolutely going to kill it wherever he lands. Just how things work. 

Unfortunately, my original lengthy response disappeared into the Internet ether when my connection went out, so here's the Cliff Notes version.  

We can't do anything about that Woody... I do like Flugel pointing out that another talented WR (Steffon Digs) wasn't happy with Stefanski's offense in Minnesota either, and got out of town. He seems to be doing OK with the Bills.  

A few observations. 

1) As those videos showed, he can still get open. But as Tia opined, is it because teams no longer respect his ability?  

2) We may rag on our Hospital Ward, but OBJ is rather fragile too. IIRC he's only had a couple seasons where he got through all 16 games. 

3) As I pointed out with one exception his production has decreased every year. You can only live off your reputation and one miracle catch for so long. Is he going to be another Andre "Bad Moon" Rison who peaked early, or the ageless Larry Fitzgerald? Has he lost a step due to those repeated injuries? 

4) Yeah- OBJ still fancies himself a #1 WR, and wants to get paid accordingly- which was never going to happen with the Browns. Sometimes it's better to go the addition by subtraction route to get rid of a Locker Room cancer, regardless of how talented he may be. This is FAR from the only time a disgruntled star has forced his way out of town- only the latest. I'll never forget the Browns game where Eric Dickerson just walked of the field to force a trade. 

Posted previously... "In 29 games, Beckham caught 114 of 210 targets for 1,586 yards and seven touchdowns over two and a half seasons." FYI Odell- several players-Megatron, Julio Jones Jerry Rice did better than that in 16 games.  :D 

8 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Unfortunately, my original lengthy response disappeared into the Internet ether when my connection went out, so here's the Cliff Notes version.  

We can't do anything about that Woody... I do like Flugel pointing out that another talented WR (Steffon Digs) wasn't happy with Stefanski's offense in Minnesota either, and got out of town. He seems to be doing OK with the Bills.  

A few observations. 

1) As those videos showed, he can still get open. But as Tia opined, is it because teams no longer respect his ability?  

One of the screenshots I had mentioned during the Cardinals game about Odell drawing extra eyes and felton on the hitch for an easy 6 to make 3rd and short(er).

Odell and Felton in a 2 stack, odell runs off coverage and felton takes the gimme when he snaps the hitch off.

There is still respect paid to Odell as a receiver.  

704607223_Feltonfor62ndand10_3.thumb.jpg.24c2034a923a0ebf4c9ba88186e38b32.jpg

4 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

For the sake of settling debate, and for the sake of clarity (Berry's) would probably be best if Odell goes to a functional team.  

Ah- if it's Not For Long.. You screw us Odell, (as I mentioned to Zombo in another thread) we're releasing you so you can be claimed and sent to Football Siberia for the rest of the season (the Lions) who incidentally have a guy in the front office by the name of John Dorsey..  The guy who brought you to Cleveland in the first place.  :) 

LOL, in that scenario would Odell pull the "I'm retired" stunt?