THE BROWNS BOARD

M-Odell to the Rams

mjp28

I can't wait to read the forum next week after the offense explodes this Sunday and the Browns right the ship with Baker's best game of the season.

I hated the trade the second I saw it on the TV in Chili's (ruining a great dinner) and never liked the dude for a single second while he was taking up space on the roster... Finally some good freakin' news about the Browns for once. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 4

11 hours ago, ballpeen said:

I disagree.  Paul Brown traded Dough Atkins because he burped in a team meeting for a 3rd round pick. Dough Atkins went on to a HOF career and is considered one of the best DE's to ever play the game.  

Paul Brown traded away a couple of future defensive Hall of Famers in that time period, which probably kept the Browns from being the Packers of the 60s. 

35 minutes ago, D Bone said:

I can't wait to read the forum next week after the offense explodes this Sunday and the Browns right the ship with Baker's best game of the season.

I hated the trade the second I saw it on the TV in Chili's (ruining a great dinner) and never liked the dude for a single second while he was taking up space on the roster... Finally some good freakin' news about the Browns for once. 

Baker magically going to become healthy with OBJ's release? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LBC mike said:

so we have an available spot now...... desean Jackson?

Nah- last few years he's pretty washed up...https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JackDe00.htm

PS- Scheftie posted the deal the Browns gave OBJ to get him out of their hair.  (subject to NFLPA approval) We voided the last two years of his deal- which makes him a free agent in 2022. Also, any team that picks him up on waivers this season will be responsible for the rest of his contract. Any team out out there want a 9 game $7.5 million rent a player? Do I hear the Rams anyone?   

4 hours ago, hoorta said:

Nah- last few years he's pretty washed up...https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JackDe00.htm

PS- Scheftie posted the deal the Browns gave OBJ to get him out of their hair.  (subject to NFLPA approval) We voided the last two years of his contract- which makes him a free agent in 2022. Also, any team that picks him up on waivers this season will be responsible for the rest of his contract. Any team out out there want a 9 game $7.5 million rent a player? Do I hear the Rams anyone?   

no wonder we couldnt get a trade partner

14 hours ago, Hempman said:

Beckham, much like Risen peaked early on. Was dumped by another club who can see the physical decline. The stupid Browns were the chumps.

I have said this multiple times..

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Baker played better without him last year. We'll see if he reverts to form.

Baker's career stats with and without OBJ, which I started posting last year, bear this out.

It would have been interesting to see what Gipper's thoughts on this would have been now.

Are we sure this was not a trade??? LMAO... OBJ for the breeze he left as he exited Berea.

I've no issues with OBJ... I wish him well as he bounces around a couple times on his way to retirement (Gotta think he has cup of coffee in New England. NOLA would be another high. Both have staffs that can invent uses for him. And HCs with the cred to get his focus.) As for teamates both squads have vets to help usher him in. Bedsidesit hss been a long time since I have heard anything othr than he's a great teamamte from his teammates. I think all the back to NYG and messing with the FG net/cage while pouting.

Another feather in our former football guy GM's hat... Zeitler's still playing well in friggin BLT... Teller better... at least per PFF.

image.thumb.png.f53d898e3c0938b88f2b04ad8d7ee74a.png

Bito? More than holding his own...

image.thumb.png.9361fc595db5431dd0ae522aa7b58db7.png

Worth a read... The Browns were "nice" to OBJ as he headed for the exit...  Apparently- he wanted out way back...

More from Cleveland.com     

"Even though things got ugly as they usually do in these situations, the Browns didn’t want Beckham to be stuck going to a team he didn’t want to play for.

If a team claims Beckham, they’ll owe him the $7.25 million. If he clears waivers and is free to sign elsewhere, the Browns will save $3 million and only be on the hook for $4.25 million. Beckham can then make some of that up from his new team.

As of Saturday, 12 teams besides the Browns had more than $7.25 million in cap space to claim him. But Beckham’s camp expects him to go unclaimed because of the large salary.

He was willing to pay give back the $3 million for a chance to go free. The Browns could’ve reduced his salary to the point where teams would’ve claimed him, but no one wanted that for Beckham."

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2021/11/browns-want-odell-beckham-jr-to-become-a-free-agent-and-not-get-claimed-they-had-no-other-choice-but-to-release-him-browns-insider.html

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Worth a read... The Browns were "nice" to OBJ as he headed for the exit...  Apparently- he wanted out way back...

More from Cleveland.com     

"Even though things got ugly as they usually do in these situations, the Browns didn’t want Beckham to be stuck going to a team he didn’t want to play for.

If a team claims Beckham, they’ll owe him the $7.25 million. If he clears waivers and is free to sign elsewhere, the Browns will save $3 million and only be on the hook for $4.25 million. Beckham can then make some of that up from his new team.

As of Saturday, 12 teams besides the Browns had more than $7.25 million in cap space to claim him. But Beckham’s camp expects him to go unclaimed because of the large salary.

He was willing to pay give back the $3 million for a chance to go free. The Browns could’ve reduced his salary to the point where teams would’ve claimed him, but no one wanted that for Beckham."

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2021/11/browns-want-odell-beckham-jr-to-become-a-free-agent-and-not-get-claimed-they-had-no-other-choice-but-to-release-him-browns-insider.html

Awww fuck what that pussy wants... He's done... The punk is a snake... Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out...

36 minutes ago, nickers said:

Awww fuck what that pussy wants... He's done... The punk is a snake... Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out...

Yes nickers- I know we should have royally screwed him over, and sent him to the Lions. He totally deserved it after the bullshit he pulled this week. However, take the long view as to how other players in the NFL would see Cleveland as a potential landing spot had we done so. 

As those articles pointed out- there's 12 teams with the cap room to sign OBJ- the Saints being at the top of the list...  More- if teams restructure or cut players. He's not going to Tampa Bay- they only have $2 million cap space left. 

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

Yes nickers- I know we should have royally screwed him over, and sent him to the Lions. He totally deserved it after the bullshit he pulled this week. However, take the long view as to how other players in the NFL would see Cleveland as a potential landing spot had we done so. 

As those articles pointed out- there's 12 teams with the cap room to sign OBJ- the Saints being at the top of the list...  More- if teams restructure or cut players. He's not going to Tampa Bay- they only have $2 million cap space left. 

His career is about finished anyhow... Despite him being 'open"...He's had a terrible case of the dropsies.... We all know Baker has his issues But OBJ's dad undressing him in public was just downright scumbag savage... I detest people like this... I'm willing to give Baker this year and next... We may as well.. because it may take about that long to consider his replacement should that be the case...

4 hours ago, hoorta said:

All I can say is if Berry paid him 7.5 mil and then let him go free to basically sign where ever he wants to play against him, he must not be worried to much about his abilities. 

Reminds me of that scene in Moneyball when Billy Beane is talking to David Justice in the cage and David Justice cops and attitude and says, "You're paying me 7 million a year, so maybe I am special" 

Billy Beane says.... "Nah man, I'm not paying you 7 million. The Yankees are. That's how much the Yankees think of you. They are paying you to play against them."

• Like 1

10 hours ago, VaporTrail said:

He's a pussy and couldn't say something to Baker or Stefanski. Instead, this goes public through his dad's twitter. Good riddance, you fuckin cancer.

yep. He was the same way in NY. They were delighted to unload him. It really told the tale that obj admitted he has been playing with an injury for the last ten years.

never got it fixed to be the best he can be. Just got big bucks to get injured again and again, with a few terrific catches here and there to keep his "brand" and endorsements.

He only cared about himself. Good freaking riddance.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, hx214 said:

All I can say is if Berry paid him 7.5 mil and then let him go free to basically sign where ever he wants to play against him, he must not be worried to much about his abilities. 

Reminds me of that scene in Moneyball when Billy Beane is talking to David Justice in the cage and David Justice cops and attitude and says, "You're paying me 7 million a year, so maybe I am special" 

Billy Beane says.... "Nah man, I'm not paying you 7 million. The Yankees are. That's how much the Yankees think of you. They are paying you to play against them."

The exact quote is that the "Yankees are paying half of that" re: Justice. Agree with the point on OBJ and too be honest, OBJ isn't a player Berry would've traded for as his strengths just don't correlate with Baker's. Odell's strengths are mainly over the middle while Baker excels outside the hashes.  A typical Dorsey move where he selects a player/cuts a player without regard to team chemistr

• Like 1

9 hours ago, nickers said:

Browns had more than $7.25 million in cap space to claim him. But Beckham’s camp expects him to go unclaimed because of the large salary.

He was willing to pay give back the $3 million for a chance to go free. The Browns could’ve reduced his salary to the

Yup let him clear and then salary can Be negotiated.

On 11/5/2021 at 6:28 PM, Dutch Oven said:

Baker magically going to become healthy with OBJ's release? 

This is the part that isn't fun to think about. However, much of Browns Twitter is talking about OBJ being a lackluster route runner and then deviating from assigned locations. They believe this above all else is the reason Baker didn't throw him the ball. Our offense is extremely timing oriented and not being in the right place would cause significant issues, but I don't see it. 

If OBJ was such a poor route runner, why haven't I heard it before? Why wasn't this mentioned in ANY of the dozens of film review videos over the years? It sounds convenient to me that it all surfaces now. It doesn't explain everything, not to me. 

Baker is hurt, people are forgetting. But the funny thing is, I haven't noticed him play much different. Sure, the ball is a little high, but hasn't it always? I'd say his deep ball is struggling, but I don't really remember him THROWING any. 

The biggest problem with Baker is he's not throwing the ball. Not deep, not with anticipation, and not with conviction. Does OBJ leaving really help that? I don't know. I do know Baker is furious, and he always plays well against the wall. 

7 hours ago, nickers said:

His career is about finished anyhow... Despite him being 'open"...He's had a terrible case of the dropsies.... We all know Baker has his issues But OBJ's dad undressing him in public was just downright scumbag savage... I detest people like this... I'm willing to give Baker this year and next... We may as well.. because it may take about that long to consider his replacement should that be the case...

RE: the bold starting to hear footsteps?  Hmmm.  

We're going to see soon enough just how good OBJ still is- assuming he clears waivers and another team picks him up as a FA.  If he's dreaming of 90+ (like the top 14 WRs had last year) receptions on 120 targets and a 1,000 or so yard season... Dream on kiddo. I'll be REALLY curious if ANY team will be willing to offer him a long term contract right  out of the gate. Bet that he'll get a 8 game "prove it" contract. And if he doesn't "prove it"- you're going to get a shit contract. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, hoorta said:

RE: the bold starting to hear footsteps?  Hmmm.  

We're going to see soon enough just how good OBJ still is- assuming he clears waivers and another team picks him up as a FA.  If he's dreaming of 90+ (like the top 14 WRs had last year) receptions on 120 targets and a 1,000 or so yard season... Dream on kiddo. I'll be REALLY curious if ANY team will be willing to offer him a long term contract right  out of the gate. Bet that he'll get a 8 game "prove it" contract. And if he doesn't "prove it"- you're going to get a shit contract. 

I have a feeling he's just fine. Imagine him playing with a guy like Josh Allen, Kyler Murray, Matt Stafford, Aaron Rodgers, or even Lamar Jackson. I'm not saying he'll go to those teams, just examples. 

43 minutes ago, Unsympathetic said:

I don't.  What if the NYG couple of years was a sincere aberration - wouldn't be the first with "physical gifts" to not be able to play the team sport of football.

His reception totals each year of college were 41/43/59.. not magical.

Stats without context are awful.   Off the top of my head Odell played on an offensively limited LSU team with terrible coaches (Miles) who couldn't develop or properly deploy their players and struggled to win games where they didn't outclass in talent.  You can go as far back as Oklahoma state to find evidence of that with Les Miles.  He's an average coach who is an above average recruiter.  That means you take quality players and put them under a glass ceiling looking up at their potential.

Those LSU squads were LOADED and only found a way to get shutout in a title game then follow up with back to back 3 loss seasons despite having...

Zach Mettinberger, Jeremy Hill, Alfred Blue, Spencer Ware, OBJ, Juice, La'el Collins, Trai Turner...  on offense alone.

For another fun episode of stats without context, here are Michael Thomas' reception totals on run first offenses with up-and-down QB play...

2012 Ohio State 11 3 22 7.3 11 0
2014 Ohio State 15 54 799 14.8 79 9
2015 Ohio State 13 56 781 13.9 50 9

That's 3x Pro bowl, 2x all pro Michael Thomas.  

I don't believe those NYG years were an aberration. 

I don't think those fantastic seasons early in his career were an aberration either.

And I don't think his injury-riddled seasons that have followed were an aberration either.

He just turned 29. His gas needle is pointing down.

obj has obviously been a high talent wr. Of course he has. But he has to be a star, center of attention or sulks.

He has been an excellent receiver, sure. But, once he made his brand and became a star, he only played in 4 games in 2017 with the Giants. He became a star with the Browns, in 2019, playing in 16 games. Then only played in 7 games in 2020.

He has been a high talent pain in the ass to the Giants more and more. He became just that with the Browns.

Now he wants to go to a contender. ah. It's all about HIM. no team player.

Speaking of stats: obj has only scored ONE TD his entire pro career?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odell_Beckham_Jr.

REGULAR SEASON

Year Team Games Receiving Rushing Fumbles
GP GS Rec Yds Avg Lng TD Att Yds Avg Lng TD Fum Lost
2014 NYG 12 11 91 1,305 14.3 80 12 7 35 5.0 13 0 1 1
2015 NYG 15 15 96 1,450 15.1 87 13 1 3 3.0 3 0 2 0
2016 NYG 16 16 101 1,367 13.5 75 10 1 9 9.0 9 0 3 1
2017 NYG 4 2 25 302 12.1 48 3 1 8 8.0 8 0 0 0
2018 NYG 12 12 77 1,052 13.7 51 6 5 19 3.8 11 0 2 1
2019 CLE 16 15 74 1,035 14.0 89 4 3 10 3.3 11 0 1 1
2020 CLE 7 7 23 319 13.9 43 3 3 72 24.0 50 1 0 0
2021 CLE 6 6 17 232 13.6 26 0 2 14 7.0 10 0 0 0
Total 88 84 504 7,062 14.0 89 51 23 170 7.4 50 1 9 4

Postseason

2016 NYG 1 1 4 28 7.0 11 0 0 0
2020 CLE 0 0 Did not play due to injury
Total 1 1 4 28 7.0 11 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0

Source:[160]

7 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

obj has obviously been a high talent wr. Of course he has. But he has to be a star, center of attention or sulks.

He has been an excellent receiver, sure. But, once he made his brand and became a star, he only played in 4 games in 2017 with the Giants. He became a star with the Browns, in 2019, playing in 16 games. Then only played in 7 games in 2020.

He has been a high talent pain in the ass to the Giants more and more. He became just that with the Browns.

Now he wants to go to a contender. ah. It's all about HIM. no team player.

Speaking of stats: obj has only scored ONE TD his entire pro career?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odell_Beckham_Jr.

REGULAR SEASON

2014 NYG 12 11 91 1,305 14.3 80 12 7 35 5.0 13 0 1 1
2015 NYG 15 15 96 1,450 15.1 87 13 1 3 3.0 3 0 2 0
2016 NYG 16 16 101 1,367 13.5 75 10 1 9 9.0 9 0 3 1
2017 NYG 4 2 25 302 12.1 48 3 1 8 8.0 8 0 0 0
2018 NYG 12 12 77 1,052 13.7 51 6 5 19 3.8 11 0 2 1
2019 CLE 16 15 74 1,035 14.0 89 4 3 10 3.3 11 0 1 1
2020 CLE 7 7 23 319 13.9 43 3 3 72 24.0 50 1 0 0
2021 CLE 6 6 17 232 13.6 26 0 2 14 7.0 10 0 0 0
Total 88 84 504 7,062 14.0 89 51 23 170 7.4 50 1 9 4

Postseason

2016 NYG 1 1 4 28 7.0 11 0 0 0
2020 CLE 0 0 Did not play due to injury
Total 1 1 4 28 7.0 11 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0

Source:[160]

You copied and pasted it wrong or used a poor source with an edit - wiki.   Because that same wiki page shows and edit this morning at 6:05  Odd.  

• This page was last edited on 7 November 2021, at 06:05 (UTC).

Because he scored at least 10 TD's his rookie year.  I know, he was on my fantasy squad.