THE BROWNS BOARD

Playing for Pickett

7moses7

9 hours ago, hoorta said:

2-14 on game winning or tying drives pretty much says it all. I'll let the stat geeks look up Baker's record when the bright lights are on in prime time, but I'll bet it sucks.  We would have never beaten the Steelers last year in the playoffs if they hadn't gift wrapped us a pile of turnovers. We hung on to win.   

The 2-14 in game winning drive situations is ALARMING!!!!!

I saw that yesterday and thought it was a misprint. But it’s not.

It’s one thing to go down the field, in the first drive, with scripted plays and score. He’s good at that.

It’s a completely different skill set to do it in a 2 minute setting, to win the game

51 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

And if we lose our last two because of a height challenged int thrower, do you then change that opinion?

And we have not even started talking about the inability to rid himself of the ball rather than taking sacks. He's one of the best QBs in the NFL at eating dirt with a football still in his hands. He gets one of these 🏆 for that.

I think you are nuts for thinking we will lose the last two. If we get guys back and practicing all week, we can win those two games.

Z

You'd have to go back to 2013, when only 1 QB was drafted in the 1st round..

Some think Pickett stays in Pittsburgh? projected to pick around #15?   

#3 Houston/ Jets #4 & #9/ Giants #5 & #6/ Carolina #7/ WFT #10/  Denver #12

Big Ney! (with a long, long way to go)

Interesting question regarding Pickett. Suppose he's there... the Browns could draft PIckett, let him sit in the last year of Baker starting under the current contract....then they decide.

Apparently, the Browns need to draft a backup qb since they wouldn't put Keenum on the field. Or, Baker can't play next year because his surgery recovery takes too long - Pickett could start.

It's a deep draft for wide receivers.

Let's seem how would that look: lol.

First Round - Pickett, qb.

Second round - Jalen Tolbert, S. Alabama.

Who knows. It's crazy.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Zombo said:

Merry Christmas,  Larry, I figured I'd be hearing from you, quite a Christmas haul for you yesterday!

It's been a rough season for the Browns, and particularly Baker, but sorry to tell you Mr. Grinch ... But I still believe!

If we win our last two, Cincy beats Ravens and loses to Chiefs, Chiefs beat Steelers and Rams beat Ravens .... we are Division Champs 🏆

Maybe hosting a home playoff game will make your heart grow three times larger!

Z

As long as we're not mathematically eliminated, we still have a chance Z... But it's getting to the level of when pigs fly. If you want to get to the Super Bowl, you have to beat some other teams with Super Bowl aspirations. The only teams we've beaten with winning records are the Bengals and Ravens... That sucks.  

4 hours ago, Zombo said:

I think you are nuts for thinking we will lose the last two. If we get guys back and practicing all week, we can win those two games.

Z

Sure, we could win the last two. But not if Baker continues to play like crap. BTW, checking his career stats, he's rapidly sinking down to the mediocre level. Tia has posted plenty of play breakdowns, and I'm starting to worry opposing defensive coordinators have figured Baker out. This season he's posted four games with a qbr less than 60.  We picked up his 5th year option, so he's going to be here next year, how he plays in the last two games will tell me if we're going to go quarterback shopping. Playing like he did against the Packers isn't going to get it done.  

At least salvaging a winning record in this covid messed up season would be an admirable accomplishment.  Too many winnable games that we lost... The great teams find ways to win, we've found more creative ways to lose games we should have won. Chiefs, Chargers, Steelers, Ravens, Raiders, and now the Packers. 

20 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

If we're doing anything we're trading for a proven commodity

An out of trouble Deshaun Watson should  be the Browns first choice

18 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I fully expect Baker to be the starting QB next season.

I have huge doubts about his future with the Browns after that. 

If there are serious doubts then start looking NOW

9 hours ago, Zombo said:

Z

Being able to win those games on paper and winning them in practice are two different things. Yes, we have the talent to win those final two games, but if it comes to to putting our chances of winning on Baker, then I'm not confident at all, based on Baker's body of work.

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

I fully expect Baker to be the starting QB next season.

I have huge doubts about his future with the Browns after that. 

I mentioned in another thread that I believe the Browns' best course of action is to draft a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round in the upcoming draft and let him sit and learn the system during the final year on Baker's contract. If Baker pans out and gets an extension, then we'd have a probable solid back-up on the team behind him that would cost less than an veteran back-up. And if Baker doesn't work out and the Browns cut him after next year, then we have a young QB who already has a year in the Browns system there to replace him.

6 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I don't see a realistic scenario of an upgrade available. 

I agree that there isn't many blue chip locks in the QB class this upcoming year as there has been in years past, but I still think would could find value in the 2nd or 3rd rounds this year that could work out after a year of practicing studying on the bench.

2 hours ago, jbluhm86 said:

I agree that there isn't many blue chip locks in the QB class this upcoming year as there has been in years past, but I still think would could find value in the 2nd or 3rd rounds this year that could work out after a year of practicing studying on the bench.

THIS scenario wouldn't shock me, I could see this happening.

What I meant was I don't see Mayfield replaced this offseason with someone who is the 2022 starter. The Browns drafting Baker's possible replacement down the road in the 2nd or 3rd round? I could see this. 

1 hour ago, Canton Dawg said:

No thanks.

A legal Deshaun Watson is 10 times better then Baker Mayfield. It isn’t even close

Watson is younger, already has a contract, and is a PRO BOWL QB. He has Baker beat on EVERY FRONT

39 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

THIS scenario wouldn't shock me, I could see this happening.

What I meant was I don't see Mayfield replaced this offseason with someone who is the 2022 starter. The Browns drafting Baker's possible replacement down the road in the 2nd or 3rd round? I could see this. 

That’s not how you win in the 2022 season

People keep saying, we need to win now, the window is open NOW

A drafted QB sitting behind Baker sure as heck isn’t going to do ANYTHING 

And watching Baker muddle along through another season while we waste this “so called window”, will be just like this year

9-8 or 8-9 or maybe if we catch a break 11-6

If Deshaun Watson is available, GET IT DONE!!!!!!

no freaking way. I'd rather the Browns trade up and draft Pickett. The cost would be less, even just considering draft picks.

Dumping on Baker does not fix the wr problem.

2 hours ago, Browns149 said:

A legal Deshaun Watson is 10 times better then Baker Mayfield. It isn’t even close

Watson is younger, already has a contract, and is a PRO BOWL QB. He has Baker beat on EVERY FRONT

Ya except for the fact that he's been accused AND admitted too 20 different sexual misconduct acts with 20 different women... 

You dumping 3 first rounders and a few starters for that guy? That's playing with fire. I doubt Berry takes the risk.

8 hours ago, Browns149 said:

That’s not how you win in the 2022 season

People keep saying, we need to win now, the window is open NOW

A drafted QB sitting behind Baker sure as heck isn’t going to do ANYTHING 

And watching Baker muddle along through another season while we waste this “so called window”, will be just like this year

9-8 or 8-9 or maybe if we catch a break 11-6

If Deshaun Watson is available, GET IT DONE!!!!!

I'm just being realistic.

Your scenario is what YOU want the Browns to do.

My scenario is what I think the Browns will do. 

I don't see Aaron Rodgers or Russell Wilson coming to Cleveland, and I don't see the Browns giving up the world (possibly) for a PR nightmare like Watson. 

I can see, though, the scenario presented by jbluhm where - on Baker's 5th year contract - the Browns draft a younger guy to groom to replace him with. I can see the Browns coaching staff and front office thinking "We believe in this offensive system. You don't need a superstar to run it. You don't need a guy you have to pay $30-40 mill a year. Find us a guy in the draft who is smart and can go through progressions better than Baker."

16 hours ago, hoorta said:

As long as we're not mathematically eliminated, we still have a chance Z... But it's getting to the level of when pigs fly. If you want to get to the Super Bowl, you have to beat some other teams with Super Bowl aspirations. The only teams we've beaten with winning records are the Bengals and Ravens... That sucks.  

Sure, we could win the last two. But not if Baker continues to play like crap. BTW, checking his career stats, he's rapidly sinking down to the mediocre level. Tia has posted plenty of play breakdowns, and I'm starting to worry opposing defensive coordinators have figured Baker out. This season he's posted four games with a qbr less than 60.  We picked up his 5th year option, so he's going to be here next year, how he plays in the last two games will tell me if we're going to go quarterback shopping. Playing like he did against the Packers isn't going to get it done.  

At least salvaging a winning record in this covid messed up season would be an admirable accomplishment.  Too many winnable games that we lost... The great teams find ways to win, we've found more creative ways to lose games we should have won. Chiefs, Chargers, Steelers, Ravens, Raiders, and now the Packers. 

Well, if the Chiefs beat the Bungles we will be very much alive on Monday Night and I love the odds of the Browns squashing the Steelers ... which means Ravens lose one if their last two (Rams, Steelers) and we are playing the Bungles at home for an opportunity to win the Division and host a playoff game. Exciting stuff!

Just think if we win the Division after all if the adversity and tough losses we have faced!

Z

I don't want to give up on Baker, and he will be here next season.

That said, I also wouldn't be against drafting a QB in say round 2 as a back-up plan for the following year in the event the team camp and the baker camp have differing views of his worth.

People keep saying we are built to win now.  maybe so, but with all the 1 year deals on the books, as of this time we aren't built to do that next year.

9 hours ago, ballpeen said:

I don't want to give up on Baker, and he will be here next season.

That said, I also wouldn't be against drafting a QB in say round 2 as a back-up plan for the following year in the event the team camp and the baker camp have differing views of his worth.

People keep saying we are built to win now.  maybe so, but with all the 1 year deals on the books, as of this time we aren't built to do that next year.

Our core is Garrett, Chubb, Ward, Bitonio, Teller.

Age and contract status of the group suggest drafting a developmental type in Day 2 or 3 and hanging onto that guy hoping the developmental QB is competent in two years and good in three.  It would be time to hit the reset button with the other pieces.

So next year it is one read Baker

Year 2 is new guy 

Year 3 we are hopefully rolling along.  

What’s the other plan? 

Anybody can get lucky, but drafting a day 3 QB to develop isn't something I would bank on.  

Let's be real here....day 1 QB's have a high failure rate.  Ours was the #1 overall pick and while no where near a bust, at least 2 of the QBs taken after him are easily better QB's,  this point and most probably moving forward.

I think the 2023 draft class is where you want to find a QB...i see us trading down several times to add picks for the 2023 draft.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, 7moses7 said:

Baker talks the talk, but can’t walk the walk. 
translation - he just can’t get it done, especially in the 4th quarter with the game on the line.

not last year.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2021/12/baker-mayfield-thrived-late-in-games-in-2020-but-its-been-a-struggle-this-season.html

Baker Mayfield thrived late in games in 2020, but it’s been a struggle this season

Updated: Dec. 28, 2021, 12:12 p.m. | Published: Dec. 28, 2021, 12:10 p.m.

3 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

not last year.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2021/12/baker-mayfield-thrived-late-in-games-in-2020-but-its-been-a-struggle-this-season.html

Baker Mayfield thrived late in games in 2020, but it’s been a struggle this season

Updated: Dec. 28, 2021, 12:12 p.m. | Published: Dec. 28, 2021, 12:10 p.m.

Last year was last year, the NFL is a what have you done lately. Facts say he has held this team back,stop with the excuses, bottom line, he fucking blows 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, 7moses7 said:

Last year was last year, the NFL is a what have you done lately. Facts say he has held this team back,stop with the excuses, bottom line, he fucking blows 

BTW, go back and look at the Browns vs Cincy this year. 41-6 sound familiar?

Baker qb rating: 132

Burrow qb rating: 69

• Haha 1