THE BROWNS BOARD

Playing for Pickett

7moses7

Unless Baker can prove that he is the franchise QB of this team in these last 5 games then it may be time to move on. As a #1 overall pick he hasn’t lived up to that level. Everyone’s opinion will vary on this topic, I didn’t like the pick when it happened, but I gave it a chance. No more excuses injuries, WR’s,play calling,coaching. 5 games, if Baker doesn’t perform then I’d be willing to take a chance on Kenny Pickett 

Yes, let's lose the rest of our games, trade a ton of our assets to move up to get another 1st round qb, wait four years for him to develop, and see if he is any better ... Which is a 50/50 proposition at best.

OR ... Realize that we have a solid starting qb already, and a solid NFL roster and continue to add pieces.

I mean, we are 18-12 over the past two seasons with a playoff win ... but let's dump it all and start all over with another rookie qb that may, or may not, be better than the one we already have.

Some of you don't deserve the Browns. We have a solid front office, a solid coach,  a solid qb, a solid roster ... and we go for it this year, and if that doesn't work, we tinker, learn, and go for it next year. We do not shit our pants and rebuild around another rookie.

Z

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 6

10 minutes ago, Zombo said:

Yes, let's lose the rest of our games, trade a ton of our assets to move up to get another 1st round qb, wait four years for him to develop, and see if he is any better ... Which is a 50/50 proposition at best.

OR ... Realize that we have a solid starting qb already, and a solid NFL roster and continue to add pieces.

I mean, we are 18-12 over the past two seasons with a playoff win ... but let's dump it all and start all over with another rookie qb that may, or may not, be better than the one we already have.

Some of you don't deserve the Browns. We have a solid front office, a solid coach,  a solid qb, a solid roster ... and we go for it this year, and if that doesn't work, we tinker, learn, and go for it next year. We do not shit our pants and rebuild around another rookie.

Z

However we do need to see what's going on with those on the receiving end. As a group they are failing along with Baker. It's a chicken/egg thing now, but it ain't workin'.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Just a few weeks ago these 4 teams & QBs struggled in their games, combined to score 54 points....KC, Balt, GB, & Dallas. 

So Mahomes, Lamar, Rodgers, & Dak are pretty good, right?

Nobody would call for changes at QB in those situations.

I swear, our fan base is getting silly. I don't post a ton, but read a lot in here. Lots of knowledge, lots of crazy takes. It's obviously not unique to our Browns Board, or even other fan bases.

Here's my crazy take....Baker is the QB now, and next year. The Browns are a good team with flaws, just like the 4 teams mentioned above.

The difference is a play or two that the Browns didn't make...a dropped punt snap in KC, ridiculous officiating at SoFi vs the LAC, and OBJ's gator arms/stopped running a TD pass route vs Pittsburgh.

C'mon fans, yeah 6-6 isn't what we or the team wanted, BUT IT ISN'T OVER YET.

Go Browns.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

However we do need to see what's going on with those on the receiving end. As a group they are failing along with Baker. It's a chicken/egg thing now, but it ain't workin'.

Yep, I was the only one screaming for a wide receiver last year, because I knew Landry  and OBJ only had one realistic year left on their deals, and the rest of the guys ... are just guys. We drafted Schwartz, but he may be to slight to ever be a starter in the league, so now we need two starters.

Z

The Browns are built to win now.

And if the Browns coaching staff and front office decide that Baker is not the guy to lead this team, I can pretty much guarantee the team won't be handed over to a rookie. The Browns would get a veteran QB.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, gumby73 said:

trending towards many draft pick selection named/threads...

now's not the time (we'll have months)

merge into 'alright/who U watching'..

Zombo's correct.. were built to win now, with a few more added pieces.. (pass on Pick'ett..the name alone should be seeing Darnold's  👻, in a arena near you soon)

True.  Why waste assets on a QB now ?  Don't forget what he started out doing. Not a wise move now.

10 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

The Browns are built to win now.

And if the Browns coaching staff and front office decide that Baker is not the guy to lead this team, I can pretty much guarantee the team won't be handed over to a rookie. The Browns would get a veteran QB.

The only vet that would make sense in my eyes is Russ Wilson.. I believe hes a free agent at seasons end... I just can't see giving up needed picks for Rodgers... This team needs WR's DL and I think Lber too...

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, nickers said:

The only vet that would make sense in my eyes is Russ Wilson.. I believe hes a free agent at seasons end... I just can't see giving up needed picks for Rodgers... This team needs WR's DL and I think Lber too...

I think Baker will be brought back for a fifth season, but as of today, I have no clue who the 2023 Browns QB will be. None. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I think Baker will be brought back for a fifth season, but as of today, I have no clue who the 2023 Browns QB will be. None. 

Thinking on the Rodgers thing... If Randall Cobb comes with him.. I do the deal.. I know Rodgers is high on him and had GB trade to get him back.. But I just don't see it happening...

Aaron Rodgers sure ain't walking into the Haslam's, if he's calling out GB GM heads... 😲

Matt Ryan or Russ Wilson has a team here if they'd like to take a final run .. Baker ain't staying here to play backup... book that too !

(crawling back under my rock)  Go Baker! He's hung a combined 60 on the Ravens/Bengals (un-injured).. Beat Pittsburgh when it mattered twice (un-injured)

#ain'tmymoney

14 hours ago, Zombo said:

Z

Hey, we agree on something!

23 hours ago, nickers said:

i think you have that backwards 

22 hours ago, Orion said:

My understanding is that it's a good draft for WR's.

give hance a chance

28 minutes ago, ATOM said:

give hance a chance

Hance is a backup OT who is.. a backup.  Sure, a 59 beats >1 starter in this league, but he's not pushing Conklin any time soon.  Or a Wills on two unsprained ankles.  But if by chance you mean a 2-year deal to be a backup at 2.5M per [you may recognize this as 1/2 Hubbard's salary] I'd do that in a heartbeat..

Also starting a monopoly on smart guys up front.. Tretter is a Cornell grad, Hance is Northwestern, Teller is Virginia Tech, Hooper is Stanford..

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Unsympathetic said:

Hance is a backup OT who is.. a backup.  Sure, a 59 beats >1 starter in this league, but he's not pushing Conklin any time soon.  Or a Wills on two unsprained ankles..

isnt 2022 jacks last year under contract ?  could be then by chance hance will be ready to step in

27 minutes ago, ATOM said:

isnt 2022 jacks last year under contract ?  could be then by chance hance will be ready to step in

Even in his injury-shortened 2021, Conklin put up a 78.4.  30 points is really quite a lot of difference.. Note that Hance in the 2020 postseason rated under 50 at 47.7.  Hance is.. not a longterm starter, even coached up.  And that's not a bad thing - it's just genetics.  I want him on the Browns - just not as a starter.

If Conklin isn't interested in resigning [or if we just saw his career end due to the patella] replacing that is worth a #1 on OT.  The 2022 draft does have a number of potential OT's -- Neal, Cross, Penning, Walker, Kinnard, and take a shot on one of the OSU guys.  A Conklin retirement and drafting his replacement would, curiously, give us lots of FA potentials at IDL.  

Depending on how deep they think the respective classes are, could go first-round WR in 2022, OT in round2, DL through FA and DL in round1 in 2023.  NPF will likely be there in round2.  We do need a new backup IOL as well - let someone else pay Nick Harris to spend time being physically dominated, not us.  When Harris went on IR, Berry found Froholdt on the Texans' practice squad.. note that link is the 2020 season but his 70.9 rating is impressive because you have to play at least 20% of the snaps of the guy who had the most to get a rating.

2 minutes ago, Unsympathetic said:

Even in his injury-shortened 2021, Conklin put up a 78.4.  30 points is really quite a lot of difference.. Note that Hance in the 2020 postseason rated under 50 at 47.7.  Hance is.. not a longterm starter, even coached up.  And that's not a bad thing - it's just genetics.

If Conklin isn't interested in resigning [or if we just saw his career end due to the patella] replacing that is worth a #1 on OT.  The 2022 draft does have a number of potential OT's -- Neal, Cross, Penning, Walker, Kinnard, and take a shot on one of the OSU guys.  This would, curiously, give us lots of FA potentials at IDL.

Depending on how deep they think the respective classes are, could go first-round OT in 2022, WR in round2, DL through FA and DL in round1 in 2023.  If you really want to roll the dice in 2022, WR in round1, OT in round 2.. NPF will likely be there.  We do need a new backup IOL as well - Nick Harris should be physically dominated while playing for someone else, not us.

i don't see using a first round pick at ot next year while jack is under contract(cause i believe we are still in a win now time frame) while I agree if you want a top tier offensive lineman you can't find them after the 1st round so ya i would go WR in the first  next year and ot in 2023

3 hours ago, ATOM said:

give hance a chance

It's give 'peace' a chance.      - Hance was undrafted in 2019.  He was on and off several practice squads.  We signed him from the Jets practice squad because he was within driving distance to Cleveland.  There wasn't time for a player to be COVID cleared to get on a plane.  So it had to be him.  And we're down to him again.  Not good.

I think wr in the first round.

OT in the second? or third round.

Two of them interest me that high:

Darius Kennard, Kentucky and

Trevor Penning, Northern Iowa.

Trevor Penning*, OT, Northern Iowa
Height: 6-7. Weight: 329.
Projected 40 Time: 5.2.
Projected Round (2022): 1-2.

Darian Kinnard*, OT, Kentucky
Height: 6-5. Weight: 342.
Projected 40 Time: 5.2.
Projected Round (2022): 1-2.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, 7moses7 said:

Baker fucking blows 

Whether you like him or hate him one thing is for sure....... you can't throw 4 INTs and expect to win those close must win games.

CLE  22   GB  24    geeezzzzzus.

On 12/5/2021 at 7:51 AM, Zombo said:

Z

Right since 1999, we deserve better than a guy who plays a decent game 20% of the time. Talks the talk, but isn't walking the walk. 

We have a solid :D starting QB, who just played like a street free agent against the Packers? Damn near single handedly lost the game, despite a stellar defensive performance?  21 points off of Baker's interceptions. When the bright lights are on, Baker usually turns them off,  just like in those Progressive commercials. That's the facts Z, deal with it.  

Please turn in your Baker Fan Club Card now, there's still some hope. I for one am not giving this guy unlimited mulligans to demonstrate he's still "got it" That was a Blake Bortles level performance today. Rinse, wash, repeat. The Cinci game was an outlier pal. So please take your damn rose colored homer glasses off for a minute or two.   

FWIW, I was of the opinion we could win it all if Mayfield was at least Andy Dalton good. I'm rapidly starting to question my assessment of that POV.  :(    

50 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Whether you like him or hate him one thing is for sure....... you can't throw 4 INTs and expect to win those close must win games.

CLE  22   GB  24    geeezzzzzus.

2-14 on game winning or tying drives pretty much says it all. I'll let the stat geeks look up Baker's record when the bright lights are on in prime time, but I'll bet it sucks.  We would have never beaten the Steelers last year in the playoffs if they hadn't gift wrapped us a pile of turnovers. We hung on to win.   

8 hours ago, hoorta said:

Right since 1999, we deserve better than a guy who plays a decent game 20% of the time. Talks the talk, but isn't walking the walk. 

We have a solid :D starting QB, who just played like a street free agent against the Packers? Damn near single handedly lost the game, despite a stellar defensive performance?  21 points off of Baker's interceptions. When the bright lights are on, Baker usually turns them off,  just like in those Progressive commercials. That's the facts Z, deal with it.  

Please turn in your Baker Fan Club Card now, there's still some hope. I for one am not giving this guy unlimited mulligans to demonstrate he's still "got it" That was a Blake Bortles level performance today. Rinse, wash, repeat. The Cinci game was an outlier pal. So please take your damn rose colored homer glasses off for a minute or two.   

FWIW, I was of the opinion we could win it all if Mayfield was at least Andy Dalton good. I'm rapidly starting to question my assessment of that POV.  :(    

Merry Christmas,  Larry, I figured I'd be hearing from you, quite a Christmas haul for you yesterday!

It's been a rough season for the Browns, and particularly Baker, but sorry to tell you Mr. Grinch ... But I still believe!

If we win our last two, Cincy beats Ravens and loses to Chiefs, Chiefs beat Steelers and Rams beat Ravens .... we are Division Champs 🏆

Maybe hosting a home playoff game will make your heart grow three times larger!

Z

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Zombo said:

If we win our last two, Cincy beats Ravens and loses to Chiefs, Chiefs beat Steelers and Rams beat Ravens .... we are Division Champs 🏆

Z

And if we lose our last two because of a height challenged int thrower, do you then change that opinion?

And we have not even started talking about the inability to rid himself of the ball rather than taking sacks. He's one of the best QBs in the NFL at eating dirt with a football still in his hands. He gets one of these 🏆 for that.

57 minutes ago, Zombo said:

Maybe hosting a home playoff game will make your heart grow three times larger!

Z

And if they don't...

The three words that best describe Mayfield are as follows, and I quote:

2fb0520c7f08b8dd2f0f8d290fcd0216-grinch-

This is a damn good team, a playoff team. We shouldn't even be talking shoulda, woulda, coulda.