THE BROWNS BOARD

THE CLEVELAND FOOTBALL BROWNS Game Day Thread

ATOM

On 12/21/2021 at 3:35 PM, SdBacker80 said:

Offensive Play calling was no better throughout most of the game. Raiders brought a safety up telegraphed it and did it consistently and we run into it.  How many times did you see Run… run…and then pass on third down?  

Really not trying to pick on you, but I went back and started looking at snaps for run/pass breakdowns.

1st drive 
-------------
2nd down pass
3rd down pass

1st down pass

2nd drive
--------------
2nd down pass

Next set conversion

1st down pass
2nd down pass
3rd down pass/screen

3rd drive
---------------
run
run
pass 
punt

4th drive
--------------------
1st down pass
3rd down pass/screen

5th drive
-------------------
run
screen
pass
punt

7th drive
-------------------

1st down pass

2nd & goal pass

*chubb started breaking off chunk runs*

9th drive
-----------------

3rd down pass conversion

Chubb on 1st and 2nd downs both sets

3rd down pass conversion
2nd down pass
3rd down pass

3rd down pass
4th down pass

The in-between was pretty mediocre, but at the same time if you don't lean on what you know, even with heavy box counts, then you're still going to get the "RUN THE DAMN BALL NO MATTER WHAT"... type crowd.

Point being, I'm highlighting that the play calling wasn't anywhere near as vanilla in terms of 'run, run, pass' as you may have initially believed.

And until we get a good QB and a WR who can reliably own 1 on 1's, we'll never be able to run the sight adjust and PRO work like a team such a Green Bay does.

22 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Really not trying to pick on you, but I went back and started looking at snaps for run/pass breakdowns.

1st drive 
-------------
2nd down pass
3rd down pass

1st down pass

2nd drive
--------------
2nd down pass

Next set conversion

1st down pass
2nd down pass
3rd down pass/screen

3rd drive
---------------
run
run
pass 
punt

4th drive
--------------------
1st down pass
3rd down pass/screen

5th drive
-------------------
run
screen
pass
punt

7th drive
-------------------

1st down pass

2nd & goal pass

*chubb started breaking off chunk runs*

9th drive
-----------------

3rd down pass conversion

Chubb on 1st and 2nd downs both sets

3rd down pass conversion
2nd down pass
3rd down pass

3rd down pass
4th down pass

The in-between was pretty mediocre, but at the same time if you don't lean on what you know, even with heavy box counts, then you're still going to get the "RUN THE DAMN BALL NO MATTER WHAT"... type crowd.

Point being, I'm highlighting that the play calling wasn't anywhere near as vanilla in terms of 'run, run, pass' as you may have initially believed.

And until we get a good QB and a WR who can reliably own 1 on 1's, we'll never be able to run the sight adjust and PRO work like a team such a Green Bay does.

Drive number 3 and 5 were both Run, Run Pass. The point being Raiders loading the box on predicted run downs and Setting the Browns up for 3rd and unmanageable.

Second half I thought was a little better (the line settled in a little more too) They kept that outside zone going on the one drive that lead to a TD that you wanted them to abandon.

We were very predictable in the Raiders game to the point I questioned whether a guy like Abrams was stealing plays. I listened to the first half on NFL XM radio- those guys certainly weren’t kind on our calls and you would have thought Abrams was the second coming of Ronnie Lott.

Screen shot of Drive 5 here.

FYI I’m not a run the ball at all cost guy.  I’m a find ways to get Chubb the ball (fabulous job most of time yesterday here). I’m also a guy that believes you need keep the safety honest that sometimes means taking the top of the defense and making him turn and run a couple times each half.

When the box is loaded as it has been lately.  I want Chubb and Hunt/Johnson still getting touches but out on the perimeter.  Or in the first Raven game (screen passes).  I think we had one that entire game that was setup beautifully but Baker ended up  Charlie Browning it.

But I think we agree we need a new signal caller and a #1 WR that can consistently win the one on ones 

D56AAF31-9E38-407B-9EBE-DA5EC54C3D88.jpeg

I posted this earlier 

Browns rushes + screens = 23 plays for 259 yards
Browns passes - screens = 40 plays for 138 net yards (plus four picks)

12 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

Drive number 3 and 5 were both Run, Run Pass. The point being Raiders loading the box on predicted run downs and Setting the Browns up for 3rd and unmanageable.

The issue with making it that cut and dry is that the Raiders have been a single high team all year, even when they're getting absolutely bombed on.   Look no further than their last game against KC.  It's what Abrams does best, and it can be exploited to great effect when you have the offense to do it.