THE BROWNS BOARD

Don't know how I feel after this loss

Neo

The fact they were in it to the end speaks about the depth on this team. McLaughlin missing another big kick. What's up with Wyatt Teller, another costly holding call. 

Nick Mullens really impressed me with a gutty performance coming in and not really showing any nerves. Made some big throws, really impressed with his mental toughness. I really don't think having Baker would have made all that much of a difference, the line really wasn't opening many holes tonight. Don't think a banged up Baker gives us more than Mullens did tonight.

Why no D'Earnest Johnson running the ball, you would think he isn't even on the team anymore.

The Browns really put in a valiant effort tonight given the circumstances but there is no trophy for second place.

3 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

I’ve been a fan since 86 and this is the most disappointing seasons I can remember. 

This Team actually had expectations this year. 

Yeah I feel you. Been a fan since about the same time. There is lots to be proud of and lots to be angry with in this game. Browns teams of a couple of years ago wouldn't have even been in this game. 

I have went through this with the Browns, Indians, and Cavs until the Cavs finally got one. I really don't know how to feel about this. We have so many key players hurt or out with Covid. 

• Upvote 2

On one hand, I'm really proud of how they played this asses off.

On the other hand, I think of all the big games this season that they just couldn't win, but really should have that put them in this situation. Kansas City, LA Chargers, Pittsburgh and first Baltimore games come to mind. 

A loss this coming Saturday will pretty much end any playoff talk. 

• Upvote 2

I'm pretty bummed. It was nothing more than a playoff game, and we lost. Sure anything is possible, but the reality is our season is more than likely over in terms of making it to the big dance for a chance at a Super Bowl.

Just now, D Bone said:

I'm pretty bummed. It was nothing more than a playoff game, and we lost. Sure anything is possible, but the reality is our season is more than likely over in terms of making it to the big dance for a chance at a Super Bowl.

Let's be honest, any chance of that disappeared in September when Baker tore his labrum.

36 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

I’ve been a fan since 86 and this is the most disappointing seasons I can remember. 

This Team actually had expectations this year. 

I've been a fan since 57 or so and have seen good, great, kardiac and more recently ok, bad and the last few years of great expectations.  

Unfulfilled great expectations year after year gets hard to take after a short period of time.

Not making the playoffs this year would not make anyone very happy  no matter how long you've been a BROWNS fan.

Clear enough ?  Even with covid going around why did it hit the BROWNS' so bad ? No playoffs would require answers.  

Any other feelings or comments about this ?

nobody gave us a chance after Odel/nor 6-6.. Than this covid mess? 

LT Kolton Miller gave Myles his toughest contest.. wide ass frame, that can move & we could not move him

the surprise of Bitonio playing LT.. seemed to need a half, to sync up with rest of OL.. Berry Sanders to Emmitt Smith would not have seen much daylight..

2 big hope looks in 1st half?..

a) Chubb took a inside lane & the outside looked like the right choice. his past injury? may have effected his jump cut.. left?

b) D'Ernest tried to spring a screen.. Blocked well.. but a lardass DT got him before sprung out of turn..

tale of 2 half's... a 2nd FG was made.. our's was a large huge 2nd miss

7 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

On one hand, I'm really proud of how they played this asses off.

On the other hand, I think of all the big games this season that they just couldn't win, but really should have that put them in this situation. Kansas City, LA Chargers, Pittsburgh and first Baltimore games come to mind. 

A loss this coming Saturday will pretty much end any playoff talk. 

This team (coaching staff) seemingly doesn't know how to put a game away. Do they still need to learn how to win or are we "over analytic'd"?

Mike

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, D Bone said:

The last few games the BROWNS'  played were playoff games, a test to see how they stood up to the other contenders.  So how did the BROWNS 'do ?  In our out ? A good team or overrated pretenders ?

At the beginning of the season they did have a good roster on paper.

I will agree that the depth on this team is pretty impressive. I know the Raiders suck but they just took a full strength NFL team to the limit with a ton of practice squad players and back ups. 

Playoffs are a long shot this year, but the core looks pretty strong. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

I've been a fan since 57 or so and have seen good, great, kardiac and more recently ok, bad and the last few years of great expectations.  

Unfulfilled great expectations year after year gets hard to take after a short period of time.

Not making the playoffs this year would not make anyone very happy  no matter how long you've been a BROWNS fan.

Clear enough ?  Even with covid going around why did it hit the BROWNS' so bad ? No playoffs would require answers.  

Any other feelings or comments about this ?

Right with you there mjp. I don't go back quite as far, but the unfulfilled expectations just keep piling up. Red Right 88 (I was there). The Drive, The Fumble. The Move. Now "The Covid". Like you I'm running out of "Next Years" fast. 

This team has not won 2 games in a row since week 4. They have alternated W-L the past 9 weeks. They just can’t put it together consistently. 

And what is with the 3 and 6 throws for 4 yards? They failed on EVERY one of them in the first half.Even Kurt Warner was saying it on the broadcast.  2nd half they threw past the marker and got first downs. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Right with you there mjp. I don't go back quite as far, but the unfulfilled expectations just keep piling up. Red Right 88 (I was there). The Drive, The Fumble. The Move.

Now "The Covid". Like you I'm running out of "Next Years" fast. 

You've pretty much got it all except the BROWNS'  64  🏆 Championship (I was 14) and Jim Brown retired (July 1966 I was 15) and devistated !  Only 9 years in the league 8 of 9 leading rusher, why, why.......ok I'm over that, maybe.  

You get tough, resilient but then the one more big one before you know the final buzzer creeps in....... and then you get the 2018, 2019 teams then covid but the 11-5 and then maybe you know maybe 12-4 or 13-3 then  *splat* reality strikes again.  But what about next year.........

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Neo said:

Why no D'Earnest Johnson running the ball, you would think he isn't even on the team anymore

We had this guy called Nick Chubb.  He's really good.

3rd and 3.  We were THAT close to winning this game.  I was thinking play action to Harrison Bryant for the win.

Mullins did a nice job of managing his position.  

The Defense, as undermanned as they were, did a good job.  Good enough to win.

We've just played two teams in a row that can make FG's.  That's a competitive advantage against us.

I feel like we could'a, would'a, should'a won this one.  And now we can't lose again until the Super Bowl is over.

8 hours ago, Neo said:

The Browns really put in a valiant effort tonight given the circumstances but there is no trophy for second place.

But we get a medal. 🥈

And if not for the continuing saga of Browns kicker woes, that was a win for the taking.

Somebody needs a long kicker jersey like we once had for QBs.

Just woke up, got home from the game around 10pm last night.

It was kind of a weird atmosphere in the 1st quarter. The starting time, maybe lack of parking spaces subdued folks. Place was only like 30% full until halftime.

Really an unfortunate turn of events with all the players out. The NFL did us a favor and we still couldn't capitalize. It just seems Cle sports teams have this aura where the ceilings never get reached. 

Obviously i didn't see a replay at the stadium, but that Defensive pass interference call looked like BS. I'm sick of underthrown balls becoming 45 yard gains by refs judgements....it's an ongoing problem league wide. I feel sorry for CBs...that lead to the Raiders only TD.

It's going to take a miracle now. Even the Browns' best effort probably won't be enough vs the Packers, then the hell hole called Heinz up next. Sure hope I'm wrong.

Like a few here who are long time fans, jeez one of these seasons a Super Bowl win will happen. Just hope I get to see it, been going down there since 1971.

22 hours ago, Neo said:

The fact they were in it to the end speaks about the depth on this team. McLaughlin missing another big kick. What's up with Wyatt Teller, another costly holding call. 

Nick Mullens really impressed me with a gutty performance coming in and not really showing any nerves. Made some big throws, really impressed with his mental toughness. I really don't think having Baker would have made all that much of a difference, the line really wasn't opening many holes tonight. Don't think a banged up Baker gives us more than Mullens did tonight.

Why no D'Earnest Johnson running the ball, you would think he isn't even on the team anymore.

I agree with what you said about Mullens and  i would think his performance should end the days of kennum and his contract

• Upvote 1

Well,  it's the next day and this loss still stings. I can't believe that on the Browns last possession they couldn't pull out one of their best plays to gain enough for a first down. I understand the regular coach wasn't there but c'mon!!

There has to be a play somewhere in that play book that can get you a guaranteed three yards on 3rd&3.

2 hours ago, Neo said:

There has to be a play somewhere in that play book that can get you a guaranteed three yards on 3rd&3.

This offense could use a few different looks..

1) A legit jumbo package..for one.. I'd prefer not watching the motion/action of Harrison & Njoku not involved. Cause in the end? it's not involved.. Park a 6th lineman at the end of the line that we know that can move bodies. (Good luck stopping McDowell for a yard..keeping Jano i don't get..)

2) Screens..  Besides Hunt.. We have no serious Jackrabbit threats in our backfield that can catch/& turn it up.. Felton & D'E. Johnson lack any kind of explosion speed after they catch it..They get caught up in the hole before they're hitting 2nd gear..

Hint to 2/3......Our Qb's eyes selling these better, would also help slow down the reacting LB's/Edges (Case/Ernest... example better vs Denver)

3) WR Bubble screens..Thinking more on the lines of a Jakeem Grant over a JoJo Natson.. Landry can block it.. but the wheels are wearing  

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

This offense could use a few different looks..

This has to be the worst play call in NFL history in general and considering the circumstances. 9 to 10 players near the LOS and you come out in an obvious run formation and RUN THE BALL??? Anybody that plays Madden could have called a better play call than that😅 I know the there were people filling in because of covid but I would fire somebody over that shit.

20211221_231150.jpg

In hindsight, play action fake to Chubb, hit Njoku on a TE seam pass. Probably a 33% chance it works ( catch, drop, incompletion/interception) on that ill fated 3rd down. 

were all angry.. but, nobodies getting fired either.. playing next day play-caller fixes nothing..

1) Mullins certainly can't change a play call..

2) 7 bodies on 5 up front.. Harrison should be on the LOS/Njoku unbalanced off.. fake/ Chubb /boot roll right behind Jano/Chubb.

3) How fast can Peoples sprint to the 39 box/ & comeback 2/3 yards?

a) DT Hankins was a issue most the night

https://www.brownszone.com/2021/12/20/commentary-on-this-day-these-browns-deserved-a-better-fate/ 

2 hours ago, gumby73 said:

were all angry.. but, nobodies getting fired either.. playing next day play-caller fixes nothing..

1) Mullins certainly can't change a play call..

Spot on 100%. I'm tired of people calling for coaches heads. Too late into the season to make a difference.

Regarding Mullens, yeah he probably recognized the alignments of LV but surely doesn't have the freedom to check out of it, which sucks. The NFL is just that way today, QBs, especially newbies, their hands are tied.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1