THE BROWNS BOARD

You're the GM...

Tour2ma

Sup T!!

1) I take a hard look at the coaching staff. I would demand that Stef hands over play calling to his OC so he can better see the whole picture on gameday. I would look at Woods and see if I was happy with the amount the defense improved as the season went along and do the same with ST's as well.... I believe I would keep both and make no major changes. 

2) Gotta look at the QB, no way around it. Is Baker still 100% my guy? Do I need to address it early in the draft, play Bake on his 5th year and then move on? Do I make a major trade because I believe all of the pieces are in place but the 1? I'm just glad I don't really have to work through The Process...

3) Position upgrades and overall team depth just like any other year

4) Take Stef's play sheet away from him, swat him on the head with it and yell BAD. 

1 hour ago, D Bone said:

Sup T!!

1) I take a hard look at the coaching staff. I would demand that Stef hands over play calling to his OC so he can better see the whole picture on gameday. I would look at Woods and see if I was happy with the amount the defense improved as the season went along and do the same with ST's as well.... I believe I would keep both and make no major changes. 

2) Gotta look at the QB, no way around it. Is Baker still 100% my guy? Do I need to address it early in the draft, play Bake on his 5th year and then move on? Do I make a major trade because I believe all of the pieces are in place but the 1? I'm just glad I don't really have to work through The Process...

3) Position upgrades and overall team depth just like any other year

4) Take Stef's play sheet away from him, swat him on the head with it and yell BAD. 

1. Yep.

2. Baker, if healthy, should start next year. They went to the playoffs last year with Baker. obj took a little heat off Landry. Wait til the Browns get a legit star wr in the draft.

3. I believe if Garrett Wilson is even there, the Browns will draft him absolutely. However, if he's already gone... it will be interesting - what do the Browns do then?

4. Good thing I was done with my coffee. LOL LOL LOL.

• Upvote 1

Hire a moving company and move this sh** show to another city.  It's over, failure is now in the very fiber of the Browns.  No offseason trades or draft picks will change that.  I've been a fan since the 70's and their was always hope and you looked forward the next season and tell all your friends how bad the Browns will beat the Steelers.  In the 80's we were talking Super Bowl but when the old Browns moved out failure moved in.  Let the team move and in less than 5 years they will win the Super Bowl.  At least Cleveland has the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.  

6 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

3. I believe if Garrett Wilson is even there, the Browns will draft him absolutely. However, if he's already gone... it will be interesting - what do the Browns do then?

4. Good thing I was done with my coffee. LOL LOL LOL.

I know all you homers like the two WRs from OSU, but I'd take Jameson Williams from a lot stronger scheduled Bama. Anyone who can get open at any depth and blow past them all on the long routes is just as capable as Chase who did the same thing against most of the same teams.

11 minutes ago, Hunter33109 said:

Hire a moving company and move this sh** show to another city.  It's over, failure is now in the very fiber of the Browns.  No offseason trades or draft picks will change that.  I've been a fan since the 70's and their was always hope and you looked forward the next season and tell all your friends how bad the Browns will beat the Steelers.  In the 80's we were talking Super Bowl but when the old Browns moved out failure moved in.  Let the team move and in less than 5 years they will win the Super Bowl.  At least Cleveland has the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.  

you mean the Hip hop HOF...

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

We haven’t asked Baker to carry our team…but any of you think he’s capable?

We owe it to him to give him at least one more year healthy and with his full compliment of weapons back healthy. What they did to him this year was fucked up whether you think he is good or not. There is a reason you have coaches, to throw in the towel for you even though you may be too proud or stubborn to do it yourself. Stefanski letting it go on was a major fail.

It will give us time to properly evaluate him and also search for a potential replacemant. I agree with many that there aren't better options out there.

the-dude-give-up.gif

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I know all you homers like the two WRs from OSU, but I'd take Jameson Williams from a lot stronger scheduled Bama. Anyone who can get open at any depth and blow past them all on the long routes is just as capable as Chase who did the same thing against most of the same teams.

Excellent point - it depends on who is doing the reviews. But either one would be a dramatic improvement in the wr group.

Williams did have a game against the outstanding cb - Gardner of Alambama - 7 of 8 catches for 62 yards. That is impressive.

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2022/01/how-cincinnati-players-described-facing-alabama-in-gut-wrenching-loss.html

1 hour ago, Hunter33109 said:

It's 2022 and we haven't won squat, so I don't resent anyone who feels this way. You have every right.

A storied franchise prior to 1999 that became the most ridiculed, dysfunctional franchise in the history of sports.

Here we are again, talking about getting another QB and firing the coach.

"Storied franchise" LOL. What a story indeed.

• Thanks 1

1. Get rid of Baker Mayfield - we picked up his 5th year option but we have the right to not move forward with it. $19 million for a bottom 10 QB is not acceptable and will only hurt the team. Kick the tires on Watson/Rodgers/Wilson. If they are not an option, draft a QB - move up if needed in the first round and have a solid backup veteran in place.

2. Draft/sign WR's in free agency. Cut Jarvis Landry if we can get something better in free agency - his 2022 money is not guaranteed and we owe him over $16 million - he's a #3 WR but we're the Browns so we trying to make him a #1 WR. I just looked at the WR 2022 unrestricted free agency and it's pretty bare - Davante Adams, Mike Williams, Chris Godwin (coming off torn ACL) - probably can't get them because our QB situation is so terrible but kick the tires. Might be stuck with Landry's insane 2022 money. Draft WR's high, see if anyone is available in a trade (Brandin Cooks in Houston would be a solid #2 WR). 

3. Keep an eye on Conklin's health - his 2022 isn't guaranteed and we will owe him $15 million - guys coming off patella tendon tears rarely work out, the numbers are staggering in terms of how many come back (if it all) and are effective. Sign a RT if it's not looking good and more depth to the o-line.

4. Sign/draft quality LB's - is anyone else tired of having these no-name linebackers? We've had only a few decent LB's in the last 30 years. 

5. Extend Denzel Ward. 

My dream scenario is Deshaun Watson clears his legal problems and we make a deal with Houston for both Watson and Brandin Cooks. But it's just a dream. 

Most likely scenario: we're stuck with Baker, we're stuck with Landry, we keep Conklin and he never is the same after the torn patella tendon. There's always 2023.

I'm excited to see what Berry can do here. 

2 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

Excellent point - it depends on who is doing the reviews. But either one would be a dramatic improvement in the wr group.

Williams did have a game against the outstanding cb - Gardner of Alambama - 7 of 8 catches for 62 yards. That is impressive.

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2022/01/how-cincinnati-players-described-facing-alabama-in-gut-wrenching-loss.html

They used Williams differently in that game with short and intermediate routes and no real shots downfield. He more or less took over the role normally held by Metchie who was out for the game. Part of why they went with the run is that Cincy had no answer for Robinson who set his own personal yardage for that game over 200 yds. The Bama plan was basically to play keepaway with running and short passing. They incorporated Williams into that style of play instead of burning teams deep like he was doing most of the season.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Imagine, the kid was so damn good it's almost like he could have played at tOSU.

Oh....wait...

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

On 1/4/2022 at 9:33 PM, Orion said:

You're the GM...

I'd first want to change the culture of going for it all the time on 4th down.  This would be a lengthy discussion of situations and distances.

I would view my QB situation as an area of concern.  I would weigh any and all options with that position.  This year's and next year's draft classes, free agents to be, possible trades for a veteran, any and all would be weighed against staying with Baker.  Although Baker can be good...he can also be quite bad. His decision making can be quite bad, like passing up a wide open Njoku who's past the sticks for a shot at a guy farther upfield with a tighter window.  I harken back to early in the season when on 3rd down he had Felton standing on the sidelines, 2 yards past the sticks, nobody anywhere near him, and he DIDN'T throw it to him.  He looked right at Felton, but Instead tried to run and was tackled well short and we had to punt.  I thought it was quite selfish and dumb.  We need smart at QB.

I'd have to evaluate my Center position.  Do I have someone that will be able to take over for Tretter?

Obviously, the RT position.  Do we have a successor for Conklin?  Is Conklin going to be ok?  Should I consider moving Wills to RT?  Is he better suited there?  Is that just out of the question money-wise?

We've gotta rework the WR position!  We need someone who commands attention.  We need to improve the talent there to such a degree that we don't need to have Higgins on the roster any more.  

The TE position...Hooper has not been great like he was in Atlanta.  And we've gotta keep Njoku because he's the best we got.

On D, maybe we can get Sheldon Richardson back (no we can't).  We'll need someone to replace Clowney if we don't keep him...and yet another pass rusher.  LB'er is another spot where replacements are needed.  And one can never have enough CB's.  -  I'd keep Denzell Ward.  I know he gets called Hospital Ward because he gets hurt...but what CB's don't get hurt.  He's freaking good!  Keep him!

....quite a lot to keep a look-out for...

Great analysis overall and comment on Baker, he hasn't shown the calmness of a franchise QB this season reflected in 0/5 game winning drives. The Chargers game was another example where he missed an open OBJ that would've given us a first down in the final drive. John Kosko of PFF's been saying this all season that Baker's performance has been subpar. Hooper's such a disappointment and I don't think we can cut him without taking a huge cap hit. WR also needs to be addressed.

• Thanks 1

If not Baker than who? Not like this draft has anyone salivating over a qb. As someone else mentioned. Carr would be a possibility. 

A strong MLB. Maybe prying Bobby Wagner away from Seattle to mentor and solidify our lb's.  Go after another  lb in the draft. Unless you think Phillips is the answer. Smith is getting old. And ev1 seems down on Wilson.

Need  some beef in the middle, Tonia? Will he develop? Again someone said Richardson. Need the space eaters.

Finally a #1 receiver that can stay healthy.  Seems to be some in this draft, and we might be in position to get one. But do we take that chance hoping he's the next Chase/Jefferson. I guess  they could be if our Qb play is up to it. 

D coordinator..I'm not sold on Woods. Yes we had injuries, but all that talent...

3great rb's  d earnest is a urfa  do we k÷p him? Great motor and runs hard and seems to be durable.

Let Stef coach and that's it.

10 hours ago, blitzz2 said:

1) A strong MLB.

2) Need  some beef in the middle, Tonia? Will he develop? Again someone said Richardson. Need the space eaters.

3) Finally a #1 receiver that can stay healthy.  Seems to be some in this draft, and we might be in position to get one. But do we take that chance hoping he's the next Chase/Jefferson. I guess  they could be if our Qb play is up to it. 

4) 3great rb's  d earnest is a urfa  do we k÷p him? Great motor and runs hard and seems to be durable.

Been awhile..good to see ya back..

1) not a good draft class for inside backers.. slim in FA's also..

2) If Berry had to do the Malik Jackson deal over again? Raiders DT Johnathan Hankins worked for 3.5M. Jackson 3.75M.. Both Jackson/Hankins become free again at end of season..Hankins wrecked our 💩 when he played us... I'd be sure to boost Hankins, Raiders keeping price.. Raiders have over 20 FA's to rework..Hankins ate our space.. edit-- Malik McDowell is a ERFA.. good motor that I'd keep on roster in 2022

3) WR1.. feature WR's.. you'd prefer drafting them.. Wingspan... with the catching/hands ability to catch balls in his same area code...they won't all be perfect from #6..

4) De'Ernest will be a R*fa.. restricted.. with a 2.7M market value... not all that bad if we had to match..while steep for a RB3  

13 minutes ago, 77Bunghole said:

I'm the GM??? There's really nothing the Clowns can do for the next 15 years plus other than to piss their pants in fear of Burrow's Bengals. Sorry guys and gals, I know it's a bitter pill to swallow, but it's the truth. JaMarr Chase, Tee Higgins, Tyler Boyd, Joe Mixon, Chris Evans, CJ Uzomah, Jonah Williams, Trey Hendrickson, Sam Hubbard, DJ Reader, Larry Ogunjobi, BJ Hill, Cam Sample, Khahlid Kareem, Joseph Ossai, Logan Wilson, Germaine Pratt, Jessie Bates, Vonn Bell, Chidobe Awuzie, Mike Hilton, Evan McPhereson, etc., are all young up-and-coming stars that are 27 years of age or younger. If I'm not mistaken, the Bengals have the third(?) youngest team in the league and it's oozing of talent. The team is way, way under the salary cap and ownership has finally started signing a lot of the best free agents on the market the last two years. I don't see this trend ending. The Bengals are gonna rule this division for the next decade at minimum, so the best thing the Clown fanbase can do is to stock up on diapers and tissues. Y'all gonna need'em! 

And... The trouble with the Bungles is they are too C H E A P!.. And will not keep all of the current players on their roster... But nice try....

1 minute ago, nickers said:

And... The trouble with the Bungles is they are too C H E A P!.. And will not keep all of the current players on their roster... But nice try....

2 minutes ago, nickers said:

Hook, line and sinker!!!

6 hours ago, 77Bunghole said:

fear of Burrow's Bengals.

Sorry guys and gals, I know it's a bitter pill to swallow, but it's the truth.

JaMarr Chase, Tee Higgins, Tyler Boyd, Joe Mixon, Chris Evans, CJ Uzomah, Jonah Williams, Trey Hendrickson, Sam Hubbard, DJ Reader, Larry Ogunjobi, BJ Hill, Cam Sample, Khahlid Kareem, Joseph Ossai, Logan Wilson, Germaine Pratt, Jessie Bates, Vonn Bell, Chidobe Awuzie, Mike Hilton, Evan McPhereson, etc., are all young up-and-coming stars that are 27 years of age or younger.

If I'm not mistaken, the Bengals have the third(?) youngest team in the league and it's oozing of talent. The team is way, way under the salary cap and ownership has finally started signing a lot of the best free agents on the market the last two years. I don't see this trend ending.

The Bengals are gonna rule this division for the next decade at minimum, 

we are to be in fear of what?  Joe Burrow is 0-3 versus the Browns in his career. 91.7 QBR  3 picks  12 sacks 

Date Visitor     Home   Result Box Score
11/07/2021 Cleveland Browns 41 @ Cincinnati Bengals 16 W Box
10/25/2020 Cleveland Browns 37 @ Cincinnati Bengals 34 W Box
09/17/2020 Cincinnati Bengals 30 @ Cleveland Browns 35 W Box
12/29/2019 Cleveland Browns 23 @ Cincinnati Bengals 33 L Box
12/08/2019 Cincinnati Bengals 19 @ Cleveland Browns 27 W Box
freestar
12/23/2018 Cincinnati Bengals 18 @ Cleveland Browns 26 W Box
11/25/2018 Cleveland Browns 35 @ Cincinnati Bengals 20 W

your team swept the Ravens & Steelers 🎊

after this Sunday shall we leave you a broom ?  

10 hours ago, 77Bunghole said:

I'm the GM??? There's really nothing the Clowns can do for the next 15 years plus other than to piss their pants in fear of Burrow's Bengals. Sorry guys and gals, I know it's a bitter pill to swallow, but it's the truth. JaMarr Chase, Tee Higgins, Tyler Boyd, Joe Mixon, Chris Evans, CJ Uzomah, Jonah Williams, Trey Hendrickson, Sam Hubbard, DJ Reader, Larry Ogunjobi, BJ Hill, Cam Sample, Khahlid Kareem, Joseph Ossai, Logan Wilson, Germaine Pratt, Jessie Bates, Vonn Bell, Chidobe Awuzie, Mike Hilton, Evan McPhereson, etc., are all young up-and-coming stars that are 27 years of age or younger. If I'm not mistaken, the Bengals have the third(?) youngest team in the league and it's oozing of talent. The team is way, way under the salary cap and ownership has finally started signing a lot of the best free agents on the market the last two years. I don't see this trend ending. The Bengals are gonna rule this division for the next decade at minimum, so the best thing the Clown fanbase can do is to stock up on diapers and tissues. Y'all gonna need'em! 

Yep, name checks out. 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, nickers said:

He's a Troll nickers...  I kicked him off....  

• Upvote 1

On 1/4/2022 at 9:33 PM, Orion said:

I'd have to evaluate my Center position.  Do I have someone that will be able to take over for Tretter? 

Tretter self reported he's playing next season. Harris stays for depth

Obviously, the RT position.  Do we have a successor for Conklin?  Is Conklin going to be ok?  Should I consider moving Wills to RT?  Is he better suited there?  Is that just out of the question money-wise?

On 1/5/2022 at 5:38 AM, 7moses7 said:

OT - weakest part of the OL Need 2

On 1/5/2022 at 3:05 PM, BernieSuperBowl2 said:

3. Keep an eye on Conklin's health - his 2022 isn't guaranteed and we will owe him $15 million - guys coming off patella tendon tears rarely work out, the numbers are staggering in terms of how many come back (if it all) and are effective. Sign a RT if it's not looking good and more depth to the o-line.

Repeating drum beats ^^ 

Bitonio received a extension until 2025..Joel's yearly AVG, is now up there with guys of the liking's of LT Taylor Lewan.. Joel started as a LT at Nevada..Smooth starts here when asked.. (length of contract dough$ slide)

Moving Wills back to his Bama RT spot.. Leaves Hubbard or Hance playing LG... or Draft high... or dip into FA pool..

The 'out' cap hit on Conklin is 9M in 2022.. miss 3 games to elbow disconnect.. come back to a patella tendon tear.. they do suck ! Jack turns 28 this august 

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

Repeating drum beats ^^ 

Bitonio received a extension until 2025..Joel's yearly AVG, is now up there with guys of the liking's of LT Taylor Lewan.. Joel started as a LT at Nevada..Smooth starts here when asked.. (length of contract dough$ slide)

Moving Wills back to his Bama RT spot.. Leaves Hubbard or Hance playing LG... or Draft high... or dip into FA pool..

The 'out' cap hit on Conklin is 9M in 2022.. miss 3 games to elbow disconnect.. come back to a patella tendon tear.. they do suck ! Jack turns 28 this august 

The idea of Wills back to RT doesn't terrify me.  Although it undoes all the work he's put in the last 2 years.

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

The idea of Wills back to RT doesn't terrify me.  Although it undoes all the work he's put in the last 2 years.

He'd get back into the RT groove in no time I'm sure.  The bigger problem is we'd have created a need at LT, which is no easy fix.

Anyone can pull out a single stat to fit a narrative (i.e. most INT in league 1st 4 years). And sure, that is not a good thing at all.

But it can also be put into perspective from another view.

81 vs 56. Anyone know what that is? 1st 4 years of INT for Peyton Manning vs. Baker Mayfield. You say sure, but what about TD passes in that time frame. 111 vs. 92. How about TD to INT ratio. 1.37 vs. 1.64. How about INT per attempt: 27.48 vs. 34.36

That is NOT to say Baker Mayfield is anywhere near as good as Peyton, but to continue to make like that is the worst thing ever is only looking at something with a pre conceived narrative. And that is just one example. 

Or, you want another stat to show how a narrative can be used. The 1st 2 games (before injury), Baker lead the NFL in completion %. 

Or just go off your own thoughts (if you are being honest), who here thought Browns were a sub .500 team before the season? Who thought that after the Chiefs game? Im sure almost all here thought this was a VERY good team. I wonder what happened? Or if you don't want to acknowledge any injury to BM, fine. Just a coincidence.

Baker could or could not be the guy going forward, because I absolutely have a whole lot of experience watching game film (not saying anything bad about anyone else btw). But to put the majority of the blame on BM is crazy to me, especially with regards to the circumstances. There are a LOT of people/circumstances who shoulder the blame.

Now I get the Rodgers, Wilson, Watson (if cleared) talk. But I have ZERO clue what anyone can see from Pickett that tells you he would be the answer. He may come into the NFL and be a HOF, but he has had 1 good year. 

I will state it again, I am not saying BM is great, or even had a good year. Not saying he is the man for the job, and I won't be getting into any back and forth, you are entitled to your opinion/narrative as am I (even if I didn't give a definitive one).

Have a good one fellas

1 hour ago, Gunz41 said:

Anyone can pull out a single stat to fit a narrative (i.e. most INT in league 1st 4 years). And sure, that is not a good thing at all.

But it can also be put into perspective from another view.

81 vs 56. Anyone know what that is? 1st 4 years of INT for Peyton Manning vs. Baker Mayfield. You say sure, but what about TD passes in that time frame. 111 vs. 92. How about TD to INT ratio. 1.37 vs. 1.64. How about INT per attempt: 27.48 vs. 34.36

That is NOT to say Baker Mayfield is anywhere near as good as Peyton, but to continue to make like that is the worst thing ever is only looking at something with a pre conceived narrative. And that is just one example. 

Or, you want another stat to show how a narrative can be used. The 1st 2 games (before injury), Baker lead the NFL in completion %. 

Or just go off your own thoughts (if you are being honest), who here thought Browns were a sub .500 team before the season? Who thought that after the Chiefs game? Im sure almost all here thought this was a VERY good team. I wonder what happened? Or if you don't want to acknowledge any injury to BM, fine. Just a coincidence.

Baker could or could not be the guy going forward, because I absolutely have a whole lot of experience watching game film (not saying anything bad about anyone else btw). But to put the majority of the blame on BM is crazy to me, especially with regards to the circumstances. There are a LOT of people/circumstances who shoulder the blame.

Now I get the Rodgers, Wilson, Watson (if cleared) talk. But I have ZERO clue what anyone can see from Pickett that tells you he would be the answer. He may come into the NFL and be a HOF, but he has had 1 good year. 

I will state it again, I am not saying BM is great, or even had a good year. Not saying he is the man for the job, and I won't be getting into any back and forth, you are entitled to your opinion/narrative as am I (even if I didn't give a definitive one).

Have a good one fellas

You make the Manning vs. Baker comparison and then say it is not to say Baker is anywhere near as good as Peyton.  Well Why throw it out there.  

Don't shoot the messenger...

First, some basic overall stuff:

-The Browns can end up anywhere from 9th to 15th pick, ahead or behind any of the following teams: DEN, *ATL, *WAS, MIN, MIA, *NO     * have WR need

-How they end up 15th: Browns win, Atlanta beats New Orleans, Patriots beat Dolphins, and either the Cardinals beat the Seahawks or the Texans beat the Titans

-How they end up 9th: Need CIN-ATL-MIN-WAS-DEN (lost) wins. Need 3 of 4 wins from DET-HOU-BUF-MIA, but can do it with only 1 of those 4 if SEA beats ARI.

10839628.thumb.png.1b4c570542a03484a0f357240381471f.png

⚠️   https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/LongFormArticle/Cleveland-Browns-The-Playoff-Draft-Slot-Rooting-List-For-Week-18-179936986/#179936986_1  ⚠️