THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns 2022 1st Round Pick

Dutch Oven

hate it...

Alabama's Jameson Williams, the projected top WR in the 2022 NFL Draft, tore his ACL last night vs. Georgia, per sources.
Doctors believe that, after surgery within the next 10 days, Williams will retain his sub 4.3 speed, and they expect a full recovery.

2 hours ago, jcam222 said:

At this point I think I’d love either Burks or London. Big bodies guys who can catch. Perhaps in the 3rd I would look for a smaller speedy receiver. 

I'd probably go with Wilson if they were all available, but Burks and London would be very intriguing. 

And I know safety isn't a big need, but speaking of intriguing, Notre Dame's Kyle Hamilton is another Irish player I'd love to have on the Browns defense.

On 1/9/2022 at 10:53 PM, Unsympathetic said:

I'd go first round WR second round IDL third round DE.

The performance of the 2021 draft class was pretty great.. but we do have holes to fill against the good teams and most of those holes were created by the opposing team's OL.

First-round pick isn't far enough -- second and third round are starters also.  Or at least should be.

This ^^

with most mocks I've run or seen..  IDL in the 2nd rd. over the DE position? has a better look/feel in results...but...

This class of 3rd rounders? starters? feels like a whole lot of back-ups  🤫   

edit--Wide Receiver, Edge and iDL. Wide Receiver, Edge and iDL. 

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/LongFormArticle/Cleveland-Browns-The-Weekly-Mock-Draft-As-The-Offseason-Ramps-Up-180386822/#180386822_6

all was going so well, up until RD.3/4 🙄

On 1/11/2022 at 7:51 PM, gumby73 said:

hate it...

Alabama's Jameson Williams, the projected top WR in the 2022 NFL Draft, tore his ACL last night vs. Georgia, per sources.
Doctors believe that, after surgery within the next 10 days, Williams will retain his sub 4.3 speed, and they expect a full recovery.

watching that game, when Williams got hurt - my Wife said "He probably has a torn ACL".... she played sports in college...

9 months. That's sad for him. Still first round?

https://orthonebraska.com/acl-recovery-time-and-nfl-athletes/v

35 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

watching that game, when Williams got hurt - my Wife said "He probably has a torn ACL".... she played sports in college...

All indications are that he will recover just fine, so yes, I'd sure give him serious consideration.

23 hours ago, gumby73 said:

This class of 3rd rounders?

I'm not against double-dipping into WR in rd3 instead of Edge - resigning clowney and mckinley seems probable.

Many mocks have Metchie / Tolbert / Pickens available and potentially zay flowers / david bell as well.

Alec Pierce looks just as slow as Mossaquoi -- unless we're aiming to have Old Man Landry show him how not to beat man coverage.

On 1/13/2022 at 10:33 AM, calfoxwc said:

Williams committed yesterday... can't say i don't blame him..

name a playoff team that could not get richer picking Jameson even after pick #18?

not many teams are as desperate as us at the position.. 

7 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

I'm not against double-dipping into WR in rd3 instead of Edge - resigning clowney and mckinley seems probable.

Many mocks have Metchie / Tolbert / Pickens available and potentially zay flowers / david bell as well.

I think we all learned a lot on how Berry handled the Shelton Richardson reconstruction... and I don't see Berry re-landing Jarvis Landry's either...

I'm not against WR's in 1st & 2nd round at this point 🤓... (I'd be shocked if Metchie gets out of RD'2..but yes, I see what your seeing) 

I'm with you on Clowney & Tak... We've seen worse...don't go backwards at key positions  

Berry better know the cards he's dealing with...

11 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Let's revisit last year's draft and see who you think was a good pickup and who has disappointed so far.

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/2021-browns-draft-picks

Id say it was a decent draft... so far.. Id rate it a B....

5 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

Alec Pierce looks just as slow as Mossaquoi -- unless we're aiming to have Old Man Landry show him how not to beat man coverage.

some mocks have Tolbert going in last few picks of the first round. I don't believe he falls out of the second round, not a bit.

Pickens is really intriguing - he had an ACL injury and came back from it. Off the field red flags will drop his position in the draft I suppose. Too bad. All that excellent talent. His coach called him "undisciplined"..... not good. But he is tremendously talented. I don't have him on my list - the Browns do not need the drama.

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Let's revisit last year's draft and see who you think was a good pickup and who has disappointed so far.

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/2021-browns-draft-picks

It's tough the way this year went with injuries and covid. Overall, the Browns first two picks are A++.

Third pick - Schwartz - might have been a "B"...but he didn't start until the last game. He ends up being more like

a "C" so far.

Fourth pick - Hudson - I love the pick - but he seems to have a backup ceiling - which isn't his fault - if he was a top tackle he'd at least go in the first two rounds. He'll be better next year with more experience. "C"

other fourth pick - Tolgiai - I'd give this pick an "A-" - he will be even better next year. The jump to the NFL is a huge one. We'll see.

The next two picks - LeCounte and Fields - are "A" picks for value this late in the draft. They may very well play a bigger role next year.

Last pick - Felton - Sixth round - an "A" pick. What a steal. I don't like him returning kicks though - he seems slow for that job - though he seems to have graduated from the "don't run sideways" school of learning the pro kick return school.

Found this interesting on ABs last 2 drafts, last week.. https://brownswire.usatoday.com/lists/analyzing-andrew-berrys-two-browns-nfl-draft-classes-going-into-2021/  

his mid round draft picks? I'd agreed.. meh.. Harrison Bryant & Jacob Phillips might be his best?  once again he's in position this draft with a extra 4th.. He's traded down once in 2nd to land Delpit..He's traded up once in 2nd to land JOK   

If the Browns don't go Leal with their first pick, I reckon they go wr.

Wilson would be a great addition.

Even if they go Wilson, and keep Landry at big bucks next season.....

https://dawgpounddaily.com/2022/01/07/6-free-agent-wide-receivers-cleveland-browns-should-target-in-2022/

who knows.

3 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

If the Browns don't go Leal with their first pick, I reckon they go wr.

Wilson would be a great addition.

Even if they go Wilson, and keep Landry at big bucks next season.....

https://dawgpounddaily.com/2022/01/07/6-free-agent-wide-receivers-cleveland-browns-should-target-in-2022/

who knows.

Yep, right now we're just guessing until FA is done.

• Upvote 1

Here's a three round mock draft: https://www.profootballnetwork.com/2022-nfl-mock-draft-fragoza-january/

For the Browns, it has:

Rd 1, #13: WR Garrett Wilson, Ohio State

Rd 2, #44: DE Arnold Ebikitie, Penn State https://www.profootballnetwork.com/arnold-ebiketie-penn-state-de-nfl-draft-scouting-report-2022/

Rd 3, #78: OT Dohnovan West, Arizona State https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Dohnovan-West-OL-ArizonaState

Have to say, they hit upon definite needs for the Browns. Wilson is an obvious need, a young complement to Myles is great with Ebikitie (even if Clowney is brought back) and with Conklin's status unknown (and with him on the last year of his contract) an OTackle is a good get. 

Speaking of, I have this nagging feeling Jed Wills will eventually become a RT for the Browns. Next season will be an interesting one for him regarding his future on the Browns OLine. 

Ebikitie is a fine pick, but West is more a center, and not a blue chip center. That would be a dumb pick in the third round.

and Ebikitie is rated the #11th edge rusher in the draft. I imagine he will climb draft boards at the combine - seems he could be a high third rounder. maybe. who knows.

I wouldn't give up on Wills.. he was viewed as the steal of the 2020 draft and even with all his ankle, he still increased his rating from 61 to 65 this year.

Somehow, a team named The Browns has apparently won each of the last two drafts.  Let's visit that team's forum - they sound nice.

Don't forget in early rounds we have to go IDL.

49 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

Ebikitie is a fine pick, but West is more a center, and not a blue chip center. That would be a dumb pick in the third round.

and Ebikitie is rated the #11th edge rusher in the draft. I imagine he will climb draft boards at the combine - seems he could be a high third rounder. maybe. who knows.

Fascinating, as always.

4 minutes ago, Unsympathetic said:

I wouldn't give up on Wills.. he was viewed as the steal of the 2020 draft and even with all his ankle, he still increased his rating from 61 to 65 this year.

Somehow, a team named The Browns has apparently won each of the last two drafts.  Let's visit that team's forum - they sound nice.

Don't forget in early rounds we have to go IDL.

1. Saying that Wills might eventually end up back at RT isn't giving up on him, just wondering if long-term he sticks on the left side. 

2. As DBone is known to say, no one wins the offseason like the Browns. 

3. Definitely a need too. 

15 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Here's a three round mock draft: https://www.profootballnetwork.com/2022-nfl-mock-draft-fragoza-january/

For the Browns, it has:

Rd 1, #13: WR Garrett Wilson, Ohio State

Rd 2, #44: DE Arnold Ebikitie, Penn State https://www.profootballnetwork.com/arnold-ebiketie-penn-state-de-nfl-draft-scouting-report-2022/

Rd 3, #78: OT Dohnovan West, Arizona State https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Dohnovan-West-OL-ArizonaState

That fits AB's Round 1 & 2 good value picks ^^

In a browns perfect world 🤗

Landry would need a 1.) trade-able dollar figure to be traded... https://heavy.com/sports/cleveland-browns/jarvis-landry-trade-chip/ (if not a obtainable dollar met)

The article has the Browns fetching a third-round pick in return for Landry, who just turned 29.

also if getting the 3rd? 

3rd Round

Cleveland------ How bout a extra draft dart before here for Landry ? ?  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

WR/Edge/DT/_____ ? in top 78.... and still hold 2 picks in 4th...  stress Perfect World ;)

8 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

Something else I'd like to point out on this and why Wills needs to be graded on a bit of a curve.  

I can't stress enough how Bakers pocket depth really gives headaches for our OT's.  Tristan Wirfs gets to play with (arguably) the greatest to ever do it.   As a result he's had a much smoother transition to the league and his grades reflect that.  Not to knock his talent, he appears to be a quality player.   Only relating that, our QB makes life a bit more difficult for his protection because his style of play.    Therefore it takes a truly elite player to sort of "shine through" in this case.   Wills could be a 10 year, fringe type pro-bowl tackle.   And there's nothing wrong with that.   But unless he's Joe Thomas, a lot of those 2nd tier players are going to have a lower grade than what they usually might because of what I've mentioned.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

1. Saying that Wills might eventually end up back at RT isn't giving up on him, just wondering if long-term he sticks on the left side. 

Your RT needs to be just as good at passpro as LT; not only do DE's flip but more of the best edges locate on the left rather than the right.  So whatever the criteria you may intend when you say "sticks".. either isn't valid or can be updated based on new information moving forward.

Maxx Crosby, VonMiller, TJ Watt [LOLB, LDE, he's their edge] -- and others, I verified those 3 so far and that's the first 3 i could think of.. all line up against RT rather than a LT.

Eagles had both Stephenson and Peters in their run; in 2021 didn't move RT back to LT when LT quasi-retired before accepting a few more million from Bears.

7 minutes ago, Unsympathetic said:

Your RT needs to be just as good at passpro as LT; not only do DE's flip but more of the best edges locate on the left rather than the right.  So whatever the criteria you may intend when you say "sticks".. either isn't valid or can be updated based on new information moving forward.

Maxx Crosby, VonMiller, TJ Watt [LOLB, LDE, he's their edge] -- and others, I verified those 3 so far and that's the first 3 i could think of.. all line up against RT rather than a LT.

Eagles are more notable recently for their RT not moving back to LT when their LT [peters] quasi-retired at the beginning of this season before accepting a few more million from Bears.

So the tackle positions, regarding pass blocking is interchangeable?

Then why did you refer to my idea that Wills possibly could move back to RT as "giving up on him"?

Hell, I could be saying he might be moved back to RT because that is what he came into the NFL as. Seems to me that you are muddying up this conversation by first saying a move back to his natural position was "giving up on him" and then in another breath saying both sides at tackle are the same. 

53 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

So the tackle positions, regarding pass blocking is interchangeable?

Yes.. Many years ago the assumption was that RT was essentially a third OG because passpro on that side didn't matter.

So "giving up on" a LT in the language of the 80's/90's meant flipping him back to RT..

53 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

why did you refer to my idea that Wills possibly could move back to RT as "giving up on him"?

Because you said.. 

22 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I have this nagging feeling Jed Wills will eventually become a RT for the Browns. Next season will be an interesting one for him regarding his future on the Browns OLine. 

The point is that RT & LT have the same skillsets, just leading with a different leg.. At this point he's played all his NFL snaps at LT and those alabama RT seasons are pretty far in the past other than for group reminiscing over zoom time. If they're going to draft someone to take over for Conklin I'd bet they have that guy doing RT from the jump rather than teach both guys something new. 

So if they actually do flip Wills to RT then the question should be asked.. what exactly did they think he wasn't doing at LT that he will be able to do at RT? 

Combine that with Tia's statements regarding the 10-yard depth of Baker and I bet that's the real passpro answer.. which means it's got nada to do with RT or LT or even Wills' skillset.. And so flipping Wills to RT to blame him  ["give up on him"] for Baker's 10 would be more "doing something" to cover for the reality that they have no idea how to actually self-scout or make changes to get better.. Because they aren't getting the first step right of accurately identifying the problem(s).

so, regarding our first round pick -

in a few mocks, my third round offensive tackle pick happens to be

and first round pick.

fancy that. I thought it was a stretch to have him last til the third. Kennard moves very, very well for a

giant of a man. I was considering him similar to Andrew Whitworth, who was 6'7", 330. He was a second round pick - 55th overall. It isn't that much of a stretch that Kennard could easily drop some weight? and be another all-pro like Whitworth was. Three Pro-Bowls.

So, bitching about my OT pick? priceless and dumb. I think it will be an excellent pick. We'll see.

NFL Mock Draft 2022: UK Football OT Darian Kinnard to ...

NFL Mock Draft has Darian Kinnard to the Bengals in Round 1 Kinnard would be a perfect fit in Cincinnati. By Adam Haste Jan 14, 2022, 8:13pm EST

NFL Mock Draft 2022: UK Football OT Darian Kinnard to ...

NFL Mock Draft has Darian Kinnard to the Bengals in Round 1 Kinnard would be a perfect fit in Cincinnati. By Adam Haste Jan 14, 2022, 8:13pm EST

Furthermore, read this:

https://www.draftdive.com/darian-kinnard-scouting-report/

Darian Kinnard Scouting Report

"arian Kinnard NFL Comparison 

When comparing him to a current NFL player, I can’t help but notice that Darian Kinnard and Brandon Scherff of the Washington Football Team look very similar in body type/size and play. I think he has the same skill set that can get him Brandons level of play in the NFL."

Brandon Scherff. OT tackle for the Washington nolonger Redskins. 6'5", 315.

Guess where Scherff was drafted. FIRST ROUND. So, bitching about my third round draft pick? Dumber and dumber.

and yes, I do my own research, and I read a hell of a lot. I knew this stuff when I made my selection. I consider him being a bit heavier that he will slide a bit. We'll see. (and Scherff was ALSO an All-pro more than once.)

College: Iowa
NFL Draft: 2015 / Round: 1 / Pick: 5