THE BROWNS BOARD

NFL Combine

gumby73

NFL Next Gen Stats prospect grades..    https://www.nfl.com/combine/tracker/participants/ 

Media Interview process starts today on the NFL Network beginning at 1 PM.

Andrew Berry is scheduled to meet with the media on Tuesday at 2:15 p.m., while Kevin Stefanski will have his opportunity on Wednesday at 1:45 p.m.

Thursday 3.3 - TE, QB, WR

Running starts at 4:00 pm and last player off field around 11:00 pm

Friday 3.4 - OL, RB

Saturday 3.5 - DL, LB

Sunday 3.6 - PK, DB

PK workout 10:30 am - 1:30 pm

DB running starts at 2:00 pm and last player off field around 7:30 pm

AB's Athetletic Profile... https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1osspdk_OpiFlSdIP8w8Ss4CfvsdhK3EjVfh79sCXyfg/edit#gid=0

WR, class getting all eyes 👀  https://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/2022-nfl-scouting-combine-preview-wide-receiver

I think that if I were one of the top QB's, I wouldn't throw at the combine.  The receivers are receivers that you don't have a feel for.  You can't possibly throw to your potential.  Throw at your pro day.

I like the gauntlet.  Emanuel Sanders ran the smoothest gauntlet I've ever seen.  I was pissed when the Steelers drafted him.  And he's gone on to play for just about every team except us :)

I'm gonna have to miss Thursday's broadcast...

I wish both Wilson and Olave were 6'3"....like Michael Thomas.

Don't really know what difference it would make, outside

of being a slightly bigger target.

2 minutes ago, jrb12711 said:

Which if i were Olave I'd be absolutely pissed-how do we still have this happening. that tenth of a second mistake may very cost him millions of dollars.

Good question, one I don't have the answer for.  However he's still in the 4.3's, so maybe a couple draft spots compared to where he might* have gone at 4.26.  

I knew something was weird yesterday, I kept getting notifications about all these receivers running 4.2's and I kept looking at my phone in pure confusion?  Like, either this might be the most athletic receiving class in history or somebody fucked up somewhere.

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

Good question, one I don't have the answer for.  However he's still in the 4.3's, so maybe a couple draft spots compared to where he might* have gone at 4.26.  

I knew something was weird yesterday, I kept getting notifications about all these receivers running 4.2's and I kept looking at my phone in pure confusion?  Like, either this might be the most athletic receiving class in history or somebody fucked up somewhere.

Unless I'm mistaken, the 40 yard dash is still started by someone using their stop watch (for the unofficial). I guess a lot of teams still use that for their measuring too. We've had the tech to measure the start for over a decade and the NFL (most likely the scouts) just refuse to adjust. It's just really unfortunate when tenths of a second cause impact these young men's live so significantly.

In any case, man Wilson just looks so polished out there. Watching Ohio State frequently, as much as I think Olave is going to be a great pro I think Wilson has that Chase, Jefferson potential to impact the game. On the other hand, the WR class is so deep there's bound to be some 2nd round steal potential. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, jrb12711 said:

Unless I'm mistaken, the 40 yard dash is still started by someone using their stop watch (for the unofficial). I guess a lot of teams still use that for their measuring too. We've had the tech to measure the start for over a decade and the NFL (most likely the scouts) just refuse to adjust. It's just really unfortunate when tenths of a second cause impact these young men's live so significantly.

In any case, man Wilson just looks so polished out there. Watching Ohio State frequently, as much as I think Olave is going to be a great pro I think Wilson has that Chase, Jefferson potential to impact the game. On the other hand, the WR class is so deep there's bound to be some 2nd round steal potential. 

That's my initial thinking, especially in a value driven league.  This class has depth like very few have in the last decade.  (At least on paper)

There will absolutely been great talent around in the 2nd round.   Would I like a taller, faster target on the outside like Wilson in the 1st? Of course.  But would I take Olave' in the 2nd and be just as happy? Damn straight.  

I've been high on tOSU receivers since Hartline took over.   He takes physically gifted athletes and completes their transformation into well round receivers.  The little subtleties of route running, hand positioning, emphasizing maximizing your catch radius, etc etc.   If not for Chase and Jefferson, Buckeyes would be WRU in the NFL right now.   But if Olave', Wilson, JSN, Marvin Harrison Jr all go pro and start with solid careers, it will be easy to bestow that title back to tOSU.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

I've been high on tOSU receivers since Hartline took over.   He takes physically gifted athletes and completes their transformation into well round receivers.  The little subtleties of route running, hand positioning, emphasizing maximizing your catch radius, etc etc.   If not for Chase and Jefferson, Buckeyes would be WRU in the NFL right now.   But if Olave', Wilson, JSN, Marvin Harrison Jr all go pro and start with solid careers, it will be easy to bestow that title back to tOSU.

So true. One thing that blew me away in watching the Utah vs OSU game was how late the hands were for all those dudes out there. Showing late hands on deep routes is such a tough but flashy skill at the pro level. JSN and Harrison Jr. look like studs out there, and I'll very much say any success Jameson Williams has should be lumped in too.

Baker will be the starter next year you betcha.

Meanwhile, the comparisons between Wilson and Chase sure seem to be legit.

and Wilson is huge on being paired with Baker...again.

https://www.brownsnation.com/garrett-wilson-would-like-to-reunite-with-baker-mayfield/

“Baker’s my guy,” Wilson said at the NFL Combine. “He was always a little older than me and he would come back and he coached 7-on-7. During the quarantine, we actually threw together a couple times. So I know that Baker’s a great player, and we have a good relationship.”

1 hour ago, jrb12711 said:

So true. One thing that blew me away in watching the Utah vs OSU game was how late the hands were for all those dudes out there. Showing late hands on deep routes is such a tough but flashy skill at the pro level. JSN and Harrison Jr. look like studs out there, and I'll very much say any success Jameson Williams has should be lumped in too.

A lot of DB coaches are telling these young corners to play hands and almost getting rid of look and lean.   Telling to fight at the point of contact and go for PBU's instead of INT's.  I guess at the risk of trying to avoid flags.   You're essentially asking your WR to have strong hands and to have your CB's "box" when ball flight arrives.

This comes into play when you mention "showing hands" late.  It's a high level skill set coached and developed specifically to combat what some of these DB coaches are teaching.  Helps to prevent them from timing the catch.

On 3/4/2022 at 9:32 AM, tiamat63 said:

I agree. All of the unofficial 40s coming out seemed waaaay too fast compared to normal. It's fair to think players are getting faster but it seemed excessive.

I wonder if the NFL is pimping artificially high 40s on purpose to build buzz

12 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

I agree. All of the unofficial 40s coming out seemed waaaay too fast compared to normal. It's fair to think players are getting faster but it seemed excessive.

I wonder if the NFL is pimping artificially high 40s on purpose to build buzz

I've felt the same way regarding MLB and their radar guns on pitches. 

A guy like Davis changes a D. He won't be a great pass rusher because he will always be double teamed.  That will free somebody up and he will really stack up the middle on the run.  I like him.

I have a feeling, and almost always have a feeling regarding this situation, that if the Browns took Davis with the #13 overall pick in two years we'd all be saying:

"Why did we take a decent run-stuffer who doesn't rush the QB that well and is on the sidelines for half the defensive plays #13 overall when we could have taken a guy who scores points?"

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

I have a feeling, and almost always have a feeling regarding this situation, that if the Browns took Davis with the #13 overall pick in two years we'd all be saying:

"Why did we take a decent run-stuffer who doesn't rush the QB that well and is on the sidelines for half the defensive plays #13 overall when we could have taken a guy who scores points?"

This is where I’m at as well.

He’s gonna play maybe 30 snaps? He’s going to eat up double teams and set a couple 2nd 11-12s per game.  Bring that in with Myles and JOK playmaking on defense.  Now we are really onto something. If we don’t go WR maybe I pull trigger here… I just think we will have the opportunity to pick a WR we really like. 

I just hope he doesn’t go to a team like Baltimore and dominates us for a decade. 

I just simply ask that we stay away from QBs and OL with the 13th pick 

Davis’ teammate forget his name but he’s a DT as well…he’s a name to watch in 2023, but probably a top 10 guy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SdBacker80 said:

This is where I’m at as well.

He’s gonna play maybe 30 snaps? He’s going to eat up double teams and set a couple 2nd 11-12s per game.  Bring that in with Myles and JOK playmaking on defense.  Now we are really onto something. If we don’t go WR maybe I pull trigger here… I just think we will have the opportunity to pick a WR we really like. 

I just hope he doesn’t go to a team like Baltimore and dominates us for a decade. 

I just simply ask that we stay away from QBs and OL with the 13th pick 

Davis’ teammate forget his name but he’s a DT as well…he’s a name to watch in 2023, but probably a top 10 guy. 

I want to improve the passing game, or improve our ability to disrupt the opposing team's passing game with the 13th overall pick.

WR or Edge. 

38 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I want to improve the passing game, or improve our ability to disrupt the opposing team's passing game with the 13th overall pick.

WR or Edge. 

Bold of you to assume that because we have a new WR the passing game will just "improve" because of it.

Re: Davis.   He'll be a very nice addition for some team at their value.  For the Browns, who need to address both IDL spots?  Not so much.

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

Re: Davis.   He'll be a very nice addition for some team at their value.  For the Browns, who need to address both IDL spots?  Not so much.

Seriously, for my own edification....why is it not so much?

Kinda wish, I went back to work a week later.. I just caught up to my recorded delays.. just in time to move onto the DB's..

'The process'

has done a nice job, of falling into some starting & depth positions were in need of... WR's/DL-men..  some key clues, will land in the deciding on our own FA's futures and adds...

1st & 2nd round of this draft class should be a crazy good fun watch  😊  

4 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Bold of you to assume that because we have a new WR the passing game will just "improve" because of it.

The brightest minds on this here board have informed you for months that WRs are the only thing wrong with the passing attack.

Apparently you are being obtuse.

Obtuse, sir. Obtuse. 

😉

• Haha 1

Re: Davis 

His 10 yard split was 1.68.  So NOW my eyebrows are raised. Because that's outstanding burst. 

So I have to ask myself these questions.

- What is his health like?  What's the scope on bone density? Ligament integrity?  What type of range/stretching program is he in to help limit injury?

- Will his body mass allow for some NFL longevity? 

- Will he take care of his body in the off-season? Does he have the willingness to commit himself to year round conditioning?   

- Can he develop a Haloti Ngata impact that includes becoming a 3-down force? 

You can find my posts mentioning what a mistake it was for the Browns to take Wimbley over Ngata.   I would hope, should a similar player situation arise, that the Browns learn from their past mistake.  That having been said, Ngata type IDL are rare.  Size, strength, quickness, technique and longevity/availability.    Or is he another Dontari Poe who may be very effective and possibly even earn a pro-bowl nod, but his ability diminishes quickly in his 5th year because the wear on his body is so great? 

Maybe not even Haloti Ngata, I would be more than pleased with a Shaun Rogers impact.   He was arguably the best IDL in the NFL from 2003-2008.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

Seriously, for my own edification....why is it not so much?

Guys his size don't tend to last.  Would you prefer Jordan Davis for 4-5 years or Garrett Wilson for 10?  See my post above.  Been watching his combine and it has caught my attention enough go make me think twice.