THE BROWNS BOARD

NFL Combine

gumby73

I watched the last two UGA games really trying to focus on Davis and DT Jalen Carter stood out more.  He’s smaller than Davis and looks like he could carry some more weight.  

…and then safety Lewis Cine kind of stole the show for me.

He just ran a 4.39 40.  He tackles well and has some pretty good instincts and play making ability.  That’s a name to watch for us. 

21 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

I watched the last two UGA games really trying to focus on Davis and DT Jalen Carter stood out more.  He’s smaller than Davis and looks like he could carry some more weight.  

…and then safety Lewis Cine kind of stole the show for me.

He just ran a 4.39 40.  He tackles well and has some pretty good instincts and play making ability.  That’s a name to watch for us. 

It's not unlikely at all that 6-7 guys from the Georgia defense could go in the first three rounds in the NFL draft. Davis, Wyatt and Walker III are I'm guessing all going to be first round picks as well. There is immense talent to pick from, and I'd be happy.

I think Davis in particular is a great prospect, but I'm guessing after that freakish combine someone will fall in love in the top 10. 

33 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

03666448-A67D-4590-A83B-5DA52D4A8CAC.png

I look at numbers and their actual play during the CFB season.  Example is Lewis Cine he played fast and ran fast.  

Kenneth Walker MSU RB his time surprised me.  He didn’t look like a fast running back unless it was against some of the bottom tier BigTen Back Sevens. He ran a 4.38 I think- I watched him a handful of times he looks like a 4.5  back to me.

On 3/6/2022 at 5:47 PM, tiamat63 said:

Guys his size don't tend to last.  Would you prefer Jordan Davis for 4-5 years or Garrett Wilson for 10?  See my post above.  Been watching his combine and it has caught my attention enough go make me think twice. 

that's tough - since the wr class is really deep. If experts figure Wilson is the next best wr coming into the draft that is like Chase.....

I trust these   Browns to figure it out.

47 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Looking at mid round OT prospects.

Forgot all about this guy just down 271S...

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/nick-petit-frere/32005045-5451-7308-20b9-a04a397749a8

Solid pick in Day 3.

What do you think of Daniel Faalele OT Minnesota?  Seems to move pretty well for his size.  I recall him doing well against some OSU speed rushers early last year. 

23 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

Solid pick in Day 3.

What do you think of Daniel Faalele OT Minnesota?  Seems to move pretty well for his size.  I recall him doing well against some OSU speed rushers early last year. 

Can't give you a definitive answer, haven't watch any real film on him. I can say this for a man his size and the type of game they usually bring...

- Our current QB situation stresses pass protection, especially in straight drops, to the absolute limit.  Putting a larger (much larger) body on the edge on this current team doesn't look well by my initial assessment.   Between Bakers drop depth and processing speed sans ball-action, putting that type of tackle out there (potentially) as a rookie is 'meh'  to me. 

I'd really like this stud to be replacing Chris Hubbard.... not perfect/ but 34" arm strong..   https://www.si.com/college/georgia/news/football-jamaree-salyer-film-review-nfl-draft

If he pushes down to the 3rd?  :)

I think Callahan can round him out as a good swing tackle/guard..  the James Hudson 4th round pick at playing Tackle? looks worry-some to me :ph34r:

@tiamat63  if ya get any DB tape time? please, put your DB eyes on Maryland's Nick Cross/ if we replace Harrison/Stewart? I've watched & liked a bunch of his games live.. but, I never thought he'd run that fast...4.34  (weird#... as I'm typing this, he's now on GMFB) 

2 hours ago, gumby73 said:

I'd really like this stud to be replacing Chris Hubbard.... not perfect/ but 34" arm strong..   https://www.si.com/college/georgia/news/football-jamaree-salyer-film-review-nfl-draft

If he pushes down to the 3rd?  :)

I think Callahan can round him out as a good swing tackle/guard..  the James Hudson 4th round pick at playing Tackle? looks worry-some to me :ph34r:

@tiamat63  if ya get any DB tape time? please, put your DB eyes on Maryland's Nick Cross/ if we replace Harrison/Stewart? I've watched & liked a bunch of his games live.. but, I never thought he'd run that fast...4.34  (weird#... as I'm typing this, he's now on GMFB) 

I'll get back to you on Cross asap.

1 hour ago, SdBacker80 said:

Hudson was essentially new to the position having being recruited to UM to play on the defensive line and then he ultimately transferred to UC.

His rookie year last summer was what I thought a redshirt year.  Let’s see how he develops in year 2. 

Depth is at a premium with this group. Need all the quality depth and spot starters we can get.  Especially if they're mid round picks 

10 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

Solid pick in Day 3.

Just watched the whole cutup of Minny v Maryland and was pleasantly surprised. 

Much more fluid than OSU's big man RT (Dawand Jones)  didn't appear to be as heavy footed in zone assignments and wasn't struggling to reach the 2nd level.  Didn't always arrive with the bad intentions I'd like to see, but he was routinely boxing out next level defenders.    His pad level and knee bend was also rather nice to see.  I didn't see a waist bender who was struggling to get into his stance.    Kick step appears to be ok?    His arm length is a question though? I feel like for a guy his size his arms were a bit on the short side.  A few times he let the defender in his chest first before making contact, in favor of winning inside position with his hands and a wide stance. 

Needs to work on his first strike and shutting down rushers with his hands, also has a tendency to occasionally dip his head and sight-lose his target.   But it isn't like his eyes are on the ground either.   He isn't as heavy handed as a huge OT like Cam Robinson is and has to be.  He isn't quite as fluid as Orlando Brown either.     But he has signs showing both traits at a low(er) level than both of those players I mentioned... just combined.    Hands are there, feet are there, just needs to make them both next level.

But if his tape gets better as the year goes on, he won't be there Day 3.

• Thanks 1

On 3/8/2022 at 7:22 AM, gumby73 said:

Nothing more, than for what it's worth (freakish numbers)

I really don't want Treylon Burks -- Tired of WR who can't beat press, and that 3-cone reminds me of Massaquoi.

The issue w Karlaftis is that he has a tendency to let himself get swallowed up and not be present -- which does make sense because he's giving up nearly 100# to many OL.  Sure, good athlete, but if he's on the ground he's no help.

• Upvote 1

On 3/9/2022 at 8:54 PM, Unsympathetic said:

I really don't want Treylon Burks -- Tired of WR who can't beat press, and that 3-cone reminds me of Massaquoi.

getting closer to either Garrett Wilson or Treyvon Walker or trade back...

I keep seeing media 💩, that points to Baker needing large wingspan receivers due to Baker's ball locations..

I'm with you.. What Berry missed on Schwartz is? His 3-cone, tells me he's not loose hipped & can't turn out of cuts/breaks with any speed (Schwartz 7.13 3-cone) Track fast N & S..yes!

IMO, Baker does not need a Ja'Marr Chase type WR (Shows some tightness and rigid movement in patterns. Route running, blocking, and urgency need improvement./ourlads/not me)

What Baker needs? Is a fast, loose hipped receiver like the higher produced (than Chase)... Jaylen Waddle type that Tua finds open all the time, in mid-range patterns..

9 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Have....have you not been reading most posts since training camp 2019? 

read every post since 2014..  this old guy, can't say I would remember any of them since 2019 🤓

Our guy, with the knack to get open quickly? reality thinks Garrett Wilson won't get to #13. The only WR, (with any combine balls) to run a 3-cone was Burks.. not a good one either

On 3/7/2022 at 4:18 PM, SdBacker80 said:

Kenneth Walker MSU RB his time surprised me.  He didn’t look like a fast running back unless it was against some of the bottom tier BigTen Back Sevens. He ran a 4.38 I think- I watched him a handful of times he looks like a 4.5  back to me.

Agreed - although he looked pretty fast against Michigan with TD runs of 58, 27 & 23 yards on a day he finished with 5 TDs and 197 yards rushing.  

On 3/12/2022 at 8:47 AM, gumby73 said:

What Baker needs? Is a fast, loose hipped receiver like the higher produced (than Chase)... Jaylen Waddle type that Tua finds open all the time, in mid-range patterns..

We got better yesterday.... Amari Cooper!  https://www.nfl.com/prospects/amari-cooper/3200434f-4f48-7703-16a5-c78426109031   Go Browns !                                                                                    

I promise 😇.. my last future combine link needed...   https://www.clevanalytics.com/nfl-combine-data  will slide/ side to side & N & S..

25 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

We got better yesterday.... Amari Cooper!  https://www.nfl.com/prospects/amari-cooper/3200434f-4f48-7703-16a5-c78426109031   Go Browns !                                        

That is really impressive:

Sources Tell Us

Prospect Grade

Pro Bowl talent

"Amari is super athletic, very fluid and highly skilled as a route runner and hands catcher. Because of his reserved demeanor and similar ability, I compared him to Marvin Harrison during the season." -- Former NFL GM and current Reese's Senior Bowl Executive Director Phil Savage

On 3/9/2022 at 12:19 PM, gumby73 said:

- He's the single high in their 44 looks and any time they rotate to a single high/MOtFC look.  Plays boundary alignment when Maryland isn't in their 7 man vs formation constraints or 8 man box looks.   Also came down at the 8th and 7th man playing a variety of looks.

- Good first step.  Good/great straight line speed.   Pretty damn good change of direction and lateral movement to.   Hips don't look like they're stiff, does a solid job turning and running.

- Great angles to the ball, secure and solid tackler with consistent form.    Also does a good job at delivering big hits, legal and most importantly - intelligent.    I.E. how he leverages his body before making contact.  On a couple designed pressures with him as the 5th man, he timed the snap count well and went he got to the QB, he did it fast but under control and never let his outside shoulder get out leveraged.

- His processing speed facing play action isn't elite, especially when he's the center fielder.  But it isn't so terrible that he looks out of place either.   There were a couple times his eyes got caught up watching the action in the backfield.  But he recovered as well as he good because he's a good athlete.   Part of it was that the Illinois receivers and QB weren't very good, but it isn't like he was being smoked either.

- Looks 6'1 ish 210lbs?  Either way, he can bang around down low and did a great job tackling when the ball carrier was spilled to him.  

- Has a clear understanding and command of his role in the Maryland defense despite playing multiple alignments.  Speaks to his football I.Q.   Especially when communicating and passing off the Illini pre-snap motion(s).  

Highly unlikely he'll sniff the 1st round, probably not even top 50.  But he's a pretty good prospect whose early looks remind me of both Johnny J and the better parts of Jabrill.   His role in the 2 high looks with Maryland against their 3x1 was pretty simple.  Some of their designs I recognize, but there's room for mental growth and trusting what he sees unfold in front of him to make more splash plays -  especially interceptions.  Some of the ones I found this year he had were pretty poor throws from the QB.   Granted, he still made the play and made them pay, but even bad QB's in the NFL are a level above that.    His downhill aggressiveness is a weapon, but if you're too aggressive it will be used against you.     There was a slant/flat design that the CB fell off to take the flat, had Nick trusted his eyes, probably would have had a nice PBU as opposed to a clean tackle.  (Still didn't allowed much in the way of YAC)  That's sort of the type of mental growth I speak of.

There's a thread on this board mentioning the renewed focus the Browns have on the special teams assignments.   With an athlete like Nick who possess the mindset, the athletic ability and technique, he would be an absolute special teams demon from day 1 while getting reps to ease him into specific defensive roles that allow Woods to move him around at his speed.

This was a good find and a prospect worthy of a (much) longer look.    HIs tape shows me he has the physicality to play a role like Harrison, but he's a better athlete than him or MJ Stewart.

edit:  Speaking of the game that reminds me of both Johnny J and Jabrill, that also speaks to the modern NFL and the classic roles of strong and free safety going the way of the dodo bird.   Now you need, at minimum, your starting safety's to be able to fill the same role and be interchangeable.  You can't have one so poor in coverage that your pre-snap alignments tip off calls and vice versa.    That's what I appreciate about watching Nick here.  He can run, he can cover (a decent bit) he can hit and tackle.  All things JJ3 does pretty well too.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for your time and the peek👀 !    @tiamat63     Kids got game.

I saw him play Penn St in 2019..and Iowa in 2021..The kid started with solid position coaching to begin with  https://umterps.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/jon-hoke/1682  Coach Hoke is now with the Atlanta Falcons 🤫 (something good gm's might want to learn about) Yeah! I do worry that Cross may end up in Atlanta..

Special teams.. NFL teams will learn Nick's name.. he's play'd them well.. I know coach Woods is high on Delpit... But MJ & Harrison's snaps are a perfect place for a guy like Cross..

Some thought 4/5th round? But a team in higher safety need? It might take a 3rd with old Coach Hoke still lurking around.. 

is anybody from around Kettering/Hamilton Ohio area? that's where old Coach John Hoke started..   

thanks again tia ! I hope he get's the chance to lay some w00d in a solid orange helmet..