THE BROWNS BOARD

QB Answer Coming Soon

ClevelandFanForLife

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/...eseason-finale/

Mangini will decide on a starter before Week One preps begin

Posted by Mike Florio on September 4, 2009 9:35 AM ET

If Browns coach Eric Mangini didn't know whether his starting quarterback for Week One will be Brady Quinn or Derek Anderson, nothing that happened during the preseason finale will help Mangini make up his mind.

According to Tony Grossi of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, neither of the two primary candidates for the job played in Thursday night's loss to the Bears.

After the game, Mangini wasn't talking about whether Quinn or Anderson will line up under center on September 13.

"In terms of the quarterbacks, I have no additional information on that," Mangini said. "There's nothing really to add."

But Mangini also said that the competition is closed, which means that the starter (whoever it might be) will be the starter in practices leading up to the visit from Mangini's last starting quarterback, Brett Favre of the Vikings.

"The information I have based on what they've done at this point is what the decision will be based on," Mangini said.

With Quinn and Anderson held out of the game, Brett Ratliff and Richard Bartel did the honors. Kevin O'Connell likely would have joined that mix, if the Browns had been awarded the former Patriot on waivers.

But Mangini also wasn't willing to talk about the claim made for O'Connell, either.

He called it "something internal, so we'll leave it at that."

Chatty guy.

Even if Mangini doesn't announce to the world the name of his starter, it's inevitable that, after the first practice in advance of next weekend's game, someone on the team will blab about the identity of the man leading the first-string offense.

I'm guessing this means by monday after practice. Possibly on Sunday

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Trading Quinn to Denver still a possibility?

Im not sold it's Quinn yet even though thats what it looks like and I want it to be.

Everyone thinks DA is going to be moved, WHAT IF it's Quinn. Who wants him besides Denver and Washington? And what do u think we are trying to get, for either of them?

I'm thinkin if Quinn gets traded it will be no less than a 1st round pick. And DA will probably be a 3rd-4th rounder.

Im not sold it's Quinn yet even though thats what it looks like and I want it to be.

Everyone thinks DA is going to be moved, WHAT IF it's Quinn. Who wants him besides Denver and Washington? And what do u think we are trying to get, for either of them?

Like ive said before if DA starts i will be disappointed that the club put financial issues before building a winner but i wouldnt be suprised or shellshocked at the announcement of DA as the starter especially since DA has no value outside of clownstown and BQ does if it goes down this way the good news is DA will be gone next year when manfooli gets his magical mangini guy hopefully he is nothing talent wise like rattliff....;)

We passed up a first rounder for Quinn already.

But Mangini also said that the competition is closed, which means that the starter (whoever it might be) will be the starter in practices leading up to the visit from Mangini's last starting quarterback, Brett Favre of the Vikings.

"The information I have based on what they've done at this point is what the decision will be based on," Mangini said.

Sounds like Fiori is piecing things together with what makes sense, which is fine as it makes no sense to have both QB's take equal snaps up until kick-off.

...ESPN did a pretty long piece on the Browns this week. Whatsisname, the lineman with the goatee, said everybody on earth knows it's Quinn, and that's who the Vikings will prepare for.

You don't stage a QB competition and give it to the guy who played worse. Over the span of a scrimmage and three preseason games, Quinn won it fair and square.

Schlereth & Schefter weigh in on ESPN this morning:

http://www.twitvid.com/36C11

Schlereth pretty spirited about how this is silly and a leader needs to be known to the offense.

Schefter saying the same thing he has for the last week: "The feeling around the league is it'll be Brady Quinn".

Guest Masters
Schlereth & Schefter weigh in on ESPN this morning:

http://www.twitvid.com/36C11

Schlereth pretty spirited about how this is silly and a leader needs to be known to the offense.

Schefter saying the same thing he has for the last week: "The feeling around the league is it'll be Brady Quinn".

You can also watch both on the team page on ESPN.com

If I'm mangini, The first play on the field for prectice Monday will have BOTH DA and BQ in the backfield.......

It looks like they are trying to move one of the QB's, and not identifying a starter keeps the value of both up (especially if it's BQ they are trying to move). We know that Denver has interest in him, and if Mangini is not sold on either one then he is probably trying to get the highest value of the 2. Personally, I'd like to keep Quinn and see what he's got for a year, but I'm not the GM. By this rational, I agree in having both in the backfield to start on Mon. I have a feeling we will see trade details in the news before Monday though. Just a gut feeling.

The Browns will trade Quinn when bats fly out of my ass. He was already the fan favorite and then he clearly won the competition over the four total outings. Not the way ManKok would want to start their regime.

Not going to happen. The question is whether Anderson stays or goes.

I wish I was that confident.

I can't see us trading either to Denver, we play them in two weeks. I think they keep both, move one of them after the season. I would rather see BQ, but to me it really isn't an issue as long as we WIN. This QB stuff isn't going to matter if we CANNOT stop the run on D.

The Browns will trade Quinn when bats fly out of my ass. He was already the fan favorite and then he clearly won the competition over the four total outings. Not the way ManKok would want to start their regime.

Not going to happen. The question is whether Anderson stays or goes.

I hope we don't have to see that, it's an ugly mental picture.post-481-1252080138_thumb.jpg

I don't see the Browns trading DA to a team where he would back up instead of keeping him here to back up. The only possible trade I see is a scenario where Mangini is in love with DA's arm and trades Quinn to Denver for a first rounder. Quinn could step in and start right away in Denver's system and it would relieve the PR nightmare they have out there now.

But I don't think Mangini makes that decision unless he is confident that DA is the guy he would rather have starting, and I wouldn't think that would be the case, but you never know.

Anyway ... If it does go down, I hope Shep has a family member ready with the vid camera ... because we could make a freaking mint with a video of bats flying out of his ass.

Zombo

I don't see the Browns trading DA to a team where he would back up instead of keeping him here to back up. The only possible trade I see is a scenario where Mangini is in love with DA's arm and trades Quinn to Denver for a first rounder. Quinn could step in and start right away in Denver's system and it would relieve the PR nightmare they have out there now.

But I don't think Mangini makes that decision unless he is confident that DA is the guy he would rather have starting, and I wouldn't think that would be the case, but you never know.

Anyway ... If it does go down, I hope Shep has a family member ready with the vid camera ... because we could make a freaking mint with a video of bats flying out of his ass.

Zombo

The only scenario I see BQ being dealt is if Mangini, after this competition, doesn't feel either one will be his future QB. In that case I can see him dealing the one that has the best value and riding out the season with the other one and then drafting his guy next year.

Lucky for me, I've long since stopped drinking any coffee, root beer or water when I'm reading the Browns Board.

Learned my lesson a long while ago. It just isn't safe.....like after HiwayGal just says stuff, or Flugs, or whoever....

HA! I called that too!!

Here's my thoughts...the 'internal' reason for looking at that O'Connell is because whoever is NOT the starter is going to be traded, in fact WANTS to be traded.

That's what I'm getting out of this...BQ or DA (pretty sure its DA) is getting traded sometime soon.

DA just is not cagey... Quinn is slight of hand on play action, mobile, quick to see check downs,

you can run a versatile, aggressive attack with him. You can't with DA, he has limitations that preclude that.

Quinn will start. Da gets traded if either does.

I know it's all about winning, not about what the fans want, blah blah blah, BUT

It would be a nice PR move to name the starter today prior to the long weekend, instead of Monday night or Tuesday as I really don't think the Vikings will be severely impaired by Mangini holding out until early next week.

You're trying to sell tickets to the home games, if its going to be Quinn, just name the current fan favorite and run with it.

2 cents.

No way in Hell BQ gets traded because if that happens and DA still proves maddingly inconsistent and BQ has a great year the fans will be calling for Mangini's head. The boos, insults and hatred for him will rise to almost Modell levels. He may be the mystery man about everything but he isn't that stupid.

"According to Tony Grossi of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, neither of the two primary candidates for the job played in Thursday night's loss to the Bears."

Wait, so neither Quinn or Anderson were out there? How did I miss that? Good job Grossi is a razor sharp as he is, otherwise I would have completely missed it...

the Pats just cut their backup QB, Andrew Walter.

There are only 2 QBs on New England's roster. Tom Brady and Brian Hoyer.

somebody's going to NE.

I just noticed that as well...but do you think that BB will deal with Kok and Mangini? I am not all that sure he could bring himself to make a deal with them.

Guest Masters
I'm thinking A.J. Feeley goes to New England.

That's the rumor floating and Kolb has played well enough for Philly to make that move. They aren't going to keep 4 QBs.

Adkins is insinuating that the Browns are listening and there has been some chitter-chatter about a trade already. It's in the air.

There's little doubt that both SF and Denver would prefer Quinn for the kind of offense they both run. While I really, REALLY don't think the Browns would trade him, there is some speculation that Mangini believes he can win with either guy.

I'm starting to think Anderson might actually be moved very, very soon.

Something is going to happen, that's for sure. I hope they trade DA. Someone above noted he wasn't on the sidelines last night, so if that is true it could be a telling sign. That O'Connell thing was not a fluke. Whether or not they want to admit it or not, they are looking for another backup/project OB. I think Colt Brennan or Chase Daniel fit that bill and the skins are releasing one of them. I would take either as a QB#3.

Archived