THE BROWNS BOARD

Banned Books

Wait.... You're blaming just liberals for the book banning?

Have you not been paying attention at all the last 6 months or so?

There were threads on here showing conservative groups and parents trying to ban multiple books...

The level of cognitive dissonance on here is amazing

5 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

Wait.... You're blaming just liberals for the book banning?

Have you not been paying attention at all the last 6 months or so?

There were threads on here showing conservative groups and parents trying to ban multiple books...

The level of cognitive dissonance on here is amazing

Did I not specify say "for a myriad of ridiculous reasons" and mention Bible Thumpers???

WSS

39 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Did I not specify say "for a myriad of ridiculous reasons" and mention Bible Thumpers???

WSS

Yes, you did mention bible thumpers. My bad.

Mostly saw Canton's post in your reply. 

It is worth noting where most of the book banning is coming from right now though.... 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MLD Woody said:

Yes, you did mention bible thumpers. My bad.

Mostly saw Canton's post in your reply. 

It is worth noting where most of the book banning is coming from right now though.... 

I guess it’s ok provided a drag queen is reading to a group of kindergartners?

• Upvote 2

great - comparing a classic literary work with a recently published novel about

child exploitation, perverse sexuality, crt....etc.

can't possibly be serious.

• Upvote 1

To Kill A Mockingbird has been voted the greatest American Novel of all time on multiple lists of Great American Novels.

The Catcher in the Rye, Of Mice and Men, The Diary of Anne Frank (which I just helped my granddaughter report on as part of her WW II research), Catch-22 (which is one of the funniest damn novels I ever read), In Cold Blood (someone can't handle the truth), Sophie's Choice (another truthful "novel" and true heartbreaker), Huck Finn and many more that should all be required reading.

I say ban all book banners or we have become..............................................................................................

https://www.ushmm.org/learn/timeline-of-events/1933-1938/book-burning

EDIT: By The Way- I highly recommend The Kite Runner..................that is one really great and very readable "novel" based on true events.

• Upvote 1

On 5/9/2022 at 3:56 AM, Westside Steve said:

I would need to see a list of exactly where they are banned, 

I am not big on banning books but I am in favor of making sure they are somewhat age appropriate, or even appropriate..face it, some things aren't for school reading..  I am wondering how many are banned where maybe that criteria should be applied?

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, ballpeen said:

I would need to see a list of exactly where they are banned, 

I am not big on banning books but I am in favor of making sure they are somewhat age appropriate, or even appropriate..face it, some things aren't for school reading..  I am wondering how many are banned where maybe that criteria should be applied?

Absolutely. There are all sorts of stupid reasons 1 of which would be politically correct speech comparing todays and 60 years ago. And all of that dr. Seuss PC rubbish . Another would be fundamentalist Christians Banning something about witches or warlocks or science fiction or Magic. I don't see that happening much these days but it has. One valid reason would certainly be keeping grade school kids from reading books featuring passages about sodomy Etc. I know some people probably don't mind that but still...

WSS

• Upvote 1

One of the principles I believe in and have brought up over the years - is that society has a necessary need to defend itself - only to the degree that the Constitution allows.

Books about perversion and satanist garbage is not real to society - it's a "stick in the eye" to society.

When the clear motivation is to affront society - I have no problem with those kind of books being banned.

If the motivation is to establish an extremely puritan ethic in students - that is crap, too.

Long ago - I railed against the lawsuits against taxpayers funding our schools. The argument against it did not make any sense at all. I said at the time - it was designed to relieve leftwing administrations/NEA democrat permanent bent - from accountability. The left wanted to teach leftwing crap to undermine society - and somehow remake it in their "image".

So, this is where we are - parents' children are not their children? Teaching kids there is no biological gender?

No God? No morality?

It's everywhere - and social media seems to drive it en masse.

In Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs (sp?) - security - belonging to a group - was one of the fundamental

needs of people. These days, the more obscure and offensive and shocking the group - the more elitist and attention getting it is.

It seems that social media has inspired that belonging to the extremes, - so many have self-actualized as relying on that belonging to a group that they fancy - to establish their worth as human beings.

That is the best I can do to describe it.

Back to book banning - the left bans books that threaten their self-worth and their group's self-worth.

The rest of America bans books by the moral extreme fringe attitudes to fight society.

It seems that fighting any and all real narratives is a major part of the left's identity.

and PARENTS should decide what their kids learn. That it has come under attack is destructive.

Banning books for the wrong reasons is what needs to be stopped. And wrong reasons are what is contrary to our Constitution/Bill of rights.

17 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

And if a child in a book has gay parents, oh man, straight to the ban list. That'll totally indoctrinate something something perverted something something groomer!

you surely had someone else intelligent to take your tests for you in college.

why should 1% dominate the teaching of the 100% ? Yes, that book should be banned.

The only reason it's a book at all, is a destructive attack on childrens' morality, to screw with parents while trying to

somehow recreated reality and society in your own perverted image.

25 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

you surely had someone else intelligent to take your tests for you in college.

why should 1% dominate the teaching of the 100% ? Yes, that book should be banned.

The only reason it's a book at all, is a destructive attack on childrens' morality, to screw with parents while trying to

somehow recreated reality and society in your own perverted image.

Holy shit you're a regressive, moronic old man

I mentioned some hypothetical book where a character has gay parents and you responded with:

"the 1% dominate the teaching of the 100%"

That the book only exists a "destructive attack on childrens' mortality"

And to "screw with parents"

And finally to "recreate reality and society in your own perverted image"

Reminder, all I said was that it was a book where a character had gay parents

Holy shit Cal. Your group has gotten way too comfortable saying the quiet part out loud, huh? So much hatred in your post. It's pretty disgusting.

Two notes:

- LGBTQ people exist, no matter how much you wish they didn't

- A book won't turn a child gay... That's not how this works.

I can only imagine grandpa Cal going on the same rant about a book with an inter racial couple. It fits too well.

Hopefully that's just a grandpa Cal thing... And not this Cal... But I guess I wouldn't put it past you

3 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

It's pretty sad to know you're not alone in these thoughts either. Whether that's on this board or in the voting public at large. Regressive dumbasses would jump at the opportunity to defend you and yell "groomer"

moron groomer

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Vambo said:

moron groomer

They should make that his screen name... C'mon Steve.. Make it happen LOL :)

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Axe said:

Don't like the book?

Don't read it..

Not that complicated.......

Rinse and repeat concerning music,movies and all other media..

No Doubt. Also in most of these cases somehow restricting a books accessibility is number one on the list of s*** that makes kids want to seek it out and read it.

WSS

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

And if a child in a book has gay parents, oh man, straight to the ban list. 

That'll totally indoctrinate something something perverted something something groomer!

Again, I think it matter on where and when they are banned.  I don't think young children as an example need to be reading about matters of gay sexuality or about cross dressers.  You put that is a more age appropriate library ,like a HS library, so be it.  Teachers IMO shouldn't be there to teach social issue to young children.

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Axe said:

Don't like the book?

Don't read it..

Not that complicated.......

Rinse and repeat concerning music,movies and all other media..

I agree until it becomes required reading in schools and grades depend on reading the material.

As Steve pointed out, the biggest problem with banning books is the Wo"n"kers seem to have all sorts of things being banned for goofy reason and substituting things kids shouldn't be exposed to at a young age.

41 minutes ago, ballpeen said:

Again, I think it matter on where and when they are banned.  I don't think young children as an example need to be reading about matters of gay sexuality or about cross dressers.  You put that is a more age appropriate library ,like a HS library, so be it.  Teachers IMO shouldn't be there to teach social issue to young children.

I never said anything about "gay sexuality" or "cross dressers" (the horror)

I said a character with gay parents. That's it. And that was apparently enough for Cal (and others) to lose his mind. 

There's no implication of sexuality there. Same thing a a character having to straight parents. 

Again... gay people exist.

2 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

I never said anything about "gay sexuality" or "cross dressers" (the horror)

I said a character with gay parents. That's it. And that was apparently enough for Cal (and others) to lose his mind. 

There's no implication of sexuality there. Same thing a a character having to straight parents. 

Again... gay people exist.

And so does creepy individuals like yourself... Groomer!

18 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

Holy shit Cal. Your group has gotten way too comfortable saying the quiet part out loud, huh? So much hatred in your post. It's pretty disgusting.Two notes:- LGBTQ people exist, no matter how much you wish they didn't- A book won't turn a child gay... That's not how this works.

you miss the point as always. Why is it necessary to install "gay parents" into the book in the first place?

answer the question, cowardly woodpecker. Why make perversion a point to children?

asswhole. You surely can't be this stupid.

or maybe......."yes you can"....

wait..... 

9 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

There's no implication of sexuality there.

so you feeeeeeelllllll, that "gay" has nothing to do with "sexuality" ????????

maybe you should stop posting. or did your nanny slip some wine into your baby woodpecker formula?