THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns claim RB Cedric Peerman off waivers from the Ravens

brownspwnj00

OK, here is #2 claimed off waivers:

Browns | Claim two off waivers

Comment (0) Tweet me!

Sun, 06 Sep 2009 12:14:39 -0700

Adam Schefter, of ESPN.com, reports the Cleveland browns have claimed free-agent RB Cedric Peerman (Ravens) and free-agent OT Phillip Trautwein (Rams) off waivers.

That means somebody is going off the original 52, as anyone claimed off waivers MUST be on the roster.

What do you know about him?

I found this...

Cedric Peerman (RB)

Height: 5'10"

Weight: 216

College: Virginia

Conference: ACC

Hometown: Gladys, VA

High School: William Campbell

View Combine Page >>

Combine Results:

40 Yard Dash : 4.45 seconds

Bench Press : 27.0 reps

Vertical Jump : 40.0 inches

Broad Jump : 118.0 inches

3 Cone Drill : 7.35 seconds

20 Yard Shuttle : 4.29 seconds

Overview

Chances for a Cavalier running back being noticed by NFL teams when your team finishes 100th in the nation in rushing in 2006, 79th in 2007 and 108th in 2009 are understandably slim, at best. But after professional scouts missed the boat on North Carolina's Willie Parker (Pittsburgh) several years ago, they were not about to let another underrated Atlantic Coast Conference running back go unnoticed. Peerman might have only started 18 games at Virginia during his career due to injuries, but many opposing defensive coordinators agree he ranks with the elite runners in the league.

Peerman had to patiently wait his turn behind Jason Snelling, now a fullback for the Atlanta Falcons, before being given an opportunity to start in 2007. He piled up 585 yards by the midseason point, but an ankle and foot injury vs. Middle Tennessee State sent the Cavalier tailback to the operating table and then to the sidelines, standing around on crutches while watching Mikell Simpson seize his starting position.

Peerman was limited in 2008 spring drills, but returned fully recovered by fall camp to reclaim his starting job as a senior. Leg problems again forced him to sit out one game, but after a rough first part of the season, he would go on to lead the team in rushing and receiving an earn an invitation to compete with the rest of the country's elite prospects at the 2009 Senior Bowl.

Guest Aloysius

Good one cut runner with some power. Also an excellent receiver out of the backfield

He's who I wanted instead of James Davis. Probably was a mistake on my part, but I'm glad we got both of them.

Guest Aloysius

Dropped in the draft because of past durability issues and concerns that his small hands would lead to a lot of fumbles. Didn't help himself by fumbling during the Senior Bowl game.

But he's got some talent and is a great character guy: dude's an ordained minister.

YES!!!!!!!! Love this guy.

Hey look, we both win!

I have to think we're going to carry four backs, as I can't see Harrison going anywhere.

Unless these Jamal Lewis grumblings had some merit afterall. Can you imagine how young our O would be with Lewis gone. Wow.

I disagree, but I am aware you are full stinger for the gentleman, Solon.

Aren't we carrying like 10 linebackers and o-lineman? I'm sure we could trim the fat somewhere there. As tired as I am of watching Lewis degrade further, I think he has some value on this team. Especially with Harrison and two rooks as our other backfield options.

A little something on Trautwein...not just that he is a gator....he is a good prospect...I like the move to add a big blocker with a good deal of upside.

He fits the profile...big, strong, and a very smart player.

http://ramview.blogspot.com/2009/07/rookie...le-phil_01.html

Phil Trautwein, 6'6" 310

RT, Florida

Rankings: Pro Football Weekly: #53 offensive tackle. Rated as a free agent with a chance to be in an NFL training camp.

NFLDraftScout.com: #31 offensive tackle, #360 player overall; free agent grade.

Biography/Honors: 2008: first-team All-SEC. Team captain. Started all 12 games. Named to NFF Hampshire Honor Society.

2006: Named to SEC Fall Academic Honor Roll and second-team All-SEC. Started all 14 games.

Major: Graduated in December 2008 with a master’s in educational leadership.

Injuries: Missed entire 2007 season due to stress fracture in right foot.

Pro Day Stats: (not invited to NFL Combine)

* 23 bench presses (Jason Smith did 33 at the Combine)

* 5.36 40 with 1.84 and 3.00-second splits (JS: 5.09)

* 27-inch vertical leap (JS: 24)

* 8’2” broad jump (JS: 8’0”)

* did not run 3-cone drill or 20-yard shuttle

Positives: Converted tight end. Good athlete, with surprising lateral agility for his size, and solid pass protector. Good quickness off the snap. Quickly gets hands into defenders. Blocks with a wide base, keeps his feet moving and works hard to finish. Stays square and turns opponents out of the play. Long arms and quick feet. Plays nasty. Alert to pick up stunts and blitzes. Solid interior run-blocker. Was considered a rising prospect going into the 2008 season but a foot injury set him back. Has experience as a blocking tight end and special teams FG/PAT protection. Starter for two national championship teams with an incredible work ethic. The Rams considered drafting him. Productive tackle, not affected by the 2007 injury, who makes up for a lack of top athleticism with outstanding technique, especially footwork and positioning.

Negatives: Struggles with leverage and strength. Struggles to move his man off the line. Can get top-heavy in pass protection. Can get too upright and get caught by the bull rush. Gets exploited by speed rushers/linebackers. Gets overextended, leans, reaches, grabs too much. Doesn’t adjust well. Doesn’t use hands or sustain blocks well. Has to learn to keep his feet moving after he makes contact. Lacks burst to get to second level as run blocker.

Fun Fact: Phil was so infatuated with the idea of playing football for the Florida Gators as a high-schooler that he wore Gators gear on recruiting visits to other schools.

RamView: There sure are conflicting scouting reports out there about Phil Trautwein. He’s got excellent agility. He’s not very agile. He can’t handle bull rushers. He’s impervious to bull rushers. Good hands. Bad hands. Not athletic enough. Good athlete. The negatives have to amount to something or he wouldn’t have been passed up 256 different times on draft weekend. But Phil Trautwein’s also a guy who richly deserves a shot at making a pro team. He has the size and athleticism for his position (highly likely RT). Shoot, look at his pro day and you could say he’s more explosive in the lower body than Jason Smith! Plus Trautwein is another Steve Spagnuolo “four pillars” guy. If he doesn’t make the Rams, it won’t be because he didn’t work hard, or didn’t have the smarts, or didn’t know how to win, or was a bad influence in the locker room. It sounds like he’s fared well in minicamp so far. I think he’s got a real shot here. Thumbs up.

Sources: 2009 Pro Football Weekly Draft Preview, NFL.com, CBSSports.com, scout.com, SportsIllustrated.com, Philadelphia Inquirer, Wikipedia, War Room and, yes, the Independent Florida Alligator

photo from Courier-Post (NJ)

Good one cut runner with some power. Also an excellent receiver out of the backfield

He's who I wanted instead of James Davis. Probably was a mistake on my part, but I'm glad we got both of them.

Hell Yea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have watched this kid his entire career at Virginia and I can tell you he is the real deal! He is not a small scat back, but he is very fast (I believe he ran the fastest RB time in the combine). I wanted to get him with the first of our 6th rd picks, but they took Carey instead. He was gone by our 2nd 6th rd pick. And yes, he is excellent as a receiver out of the backfield (he fits a Westbrook mold). I think everyone will be pleased when they see what he can do. Does this put Harrison on the bubble? I wonder who they are releasing? I think it's time to crack a beer and celebrate! A star player from my favorite college team is on my favorite pro team!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!What a GRAB!!!!!!!!!!!!!Sorry Solon16, I am happier about this than them getting Sheets. The SF line is Stout and may have bolstered his stats. It made every RB on their roster look like Walter Payton, though I think they had a ton of talent and I did like Sheets.

My personal choices would be Corey Hilliard, Gerard Lawson, and Leon Williams, in that order. I think Trautwein replaces Hilliard. Lockett isn't going anywhere, he looked good all preseason and stood out when I watched him in camp. He's got some serious skills. I don't think Lawson is necessary as a backup KR. Cribbs is here, Furrey has returned, McDonald and Wright have returned before, and Robo even had some returns at OSU.

Guest Aloysius
Hell Yea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have watched this kid his entire career at Virginia and I can tell you he is the real deal! He is not a small scat back, but he is very fast (I believe he ran the fastest RB time in the combine). I wanted to get him with the first of our 6th rd picks, but they took Carey instead. He was gone by our 2nd 6th rd pick. And yes, he is excellent as a receiver out of the backfield (he fits a Westbrook mold).

I think everyone will be pleased when they see what he can do. Does this put Harrison on the bubble? I wonder who they are releasing? I think it's time to crack a beer and celebrate! A star player from my favorite college team is on my favorite pro team!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!What a GRAB!!!!!!!!!!!!!Sorry Solon16, I am happier about this than them getting Sheets. The SF line is Stout and may have bolstered his stats. It made every RB on their roster look like Walter Payton, though I think they had a ton of talent and I did like Sheets.

Glad to see Cedric's got another fan. Sobo, the draft guy over at the OBR, gave Peerman a 3rd round grade, so he's a fan as well.

I think Peerman is a poor man's version of another former Cavalier, Tiki Barber. He packs more pop than his height/weight numbers would indicate and is a very good receiver out of the backfield. He could start out on specials, then grow into the 3rd down back role - I don't think Harrison's on the bubble, but he is a free agent after this season.

Peerman differs from Barber in two ways. First, while Peerman's elusive in the open field, he does lose some of his speed when he has to bounce a run outside. Though he's good at using his stiff-arm to knock down DB's, I think he's more of an inside the tackles guy at this level. Second, Peerman doesn't have Barber's ego: he's a class act, which I suspect is part of the reason why Mangini & Ko chose him over Sheets.

I'm very happy about this move. Hopefully, he'll become part of the long-term solution at RB.

This is a better quality pickup.. I was scratching my head with the tackle from the rams.. The Rams? Probably the worst OL in the league and we are picking up THEIR GUYS??? Come on.. didn't the titans drop someone.. we got a tackle from the rams..

A RB from the Ravens makes sense.. I have heard good things about him and we only kept 3 RB's on our initial 53.. this makes sense

Guest Aloysius
Alo, didn't you say Peerman had a good preseason? I know you liked him in the draft a ton. Now we have both, which is pretty cool.

He didn't have many opportunities in the actual games, but the reports from camp seemed to be positive. Not sure why he got cut - could be the other guys were better on specials.

The OBR guys are buddies with Aaron Wilson, who covers the Ratbirds. They should be able to get some good info on what happened in Balt.

He didn't have many opportunities in the actual games, but the reports from camp seemed to be positive. Not sure why he got cut - could be the other guys were better on specials.

The OBR guys are buddies with Aaron Wilson, who covers the Ratbirds. They should be able to get some good info on what happened in Balt.

Hey Alo, do you have any videos of Peerman on the way?

looking at this stats, I don't see what's so great about him, he never exceeded or reached 1000 yrds rushing in his college career(maybe virginia has a bad oline? I dont know), can someone offer some insight?

http://espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=162110

Al Groh uses multiple backs each year. Peerman was injured for much of his junior campaign, but was a beast until he broke his foot. UVA was down to their 3rd string RB that year, a sophmore named Simpson who had a hell of an outing. Last year they employed both backs equally, but outside Monroe, they did not have a great O-line. Pair that with virtually no QB (1st stringer kicked off the team after the second game for drugs, starter from the year before flunked out, 3rd string didn't get into the swing of things until the Maryland game last year), and teams keyed in on the run because that is all UVA had. He's not Adrien Peterson, but Cedric is a great utility back who posesses alot of speed. He will fit the scheme nicely.

Glad to see Cedric's got another fan. Sobo, the draft guy over at the OBR, gave Peerman a 3rd round grade, so he's a fan as well.

I think Peerman is a poor man's version of another former Cavalier, Tiki Barber. He packs more pop than his height/weight numbers would indicate and is a very good receiver out of the backfield. He could start out on specials, then grow into the 3rd down back role - I don't think Harrison's on the bubble, but he is a free agent after this season.

Peerman differs from Barber in two ways. First, while Peerman's elusive in the open field, he does lose some of his speed when he has to bounce a run outside. Though he's good at using his stiff-arm to knock down DB's, I think he's more of an inside the tackles guy at this level. Second, Peerman doesn't have Barber's ego: he's a class act, which I suspect is part of the reason why Mangini & Ko chose him over Sheets.

I'm very happy about this move. Hopefully, he'll become part of the long-term solution at RB.

Cedric is definitely a class act. I have met him on several occasions and he was always polite, and somewhat reserved. He definitely lets his playing do the talking for him. I like the comparison to Barber. Tiki was on a much better team than Cedric was for Virginia, so it's hard to compare the 2 apples to apples though. I agree with the assessment that he is a between the tackles kind of runner though (kind of a one cut and go runner). I really think that he has the chance to excell at the pro level, and love it that the Browns are going to give him that chance. I don't look for him to get a ton of carries this year behind Lewis, Davis, and Harrison, but I think the coaching staff will be impressed enough with his abilities and selflessness to keep him around and possibly move him into a RB timeshare next year if Lewis is gone. If Harrison keeps up with the injury bug we may see him getting carries sooner than later. I agree that he could be part of the long-term RB solution. I am really happy with how things are shaping up for this team under Mangini.

Cedric is definitely a class act. I have met him on several occasions and he was always polite, and somewhat reserved. He definitely lets his playing do the talking for him. I like the comparison to Barber. Tiki was on a much better team than Cedric was for Virginia, so it's hard to compare the 2 apples to apples though. I agree with the assessment that he is a between the tackles kind of runner though (kind of a one cut and go runner). I really think that he has the chance to excell at the pro level, and love it that the Browns are going to give him that chance. I don't look for him to get a ton of carries this year behind Lewis, Davis, and Harrison, but I think the coaching staff will be impressed enough with his abilities and selflessness to keep him around and possibly move him into a RB timeshare next year if Lewis is gone. If Harrison keeps up with the injury bug we may see him getting carries sooner than later. I agree that he could be part of the long-term RB solution. I am really happy with how things are shaping up for this team under Mangini.

I don't know much about the kid but he sounds like he is simular to Davis in running style.

Archived