THE BROWNS BOARD

Watson Suspended for 11 Games and Fined $5 Million / and a bit OT and back.

mjp28

19 minutes ago, FY56 said:

This is confusing as hell to me. 

The commish has no authority to unilaterally issue suspension, but in the end he really does?

Robinson's ruling wasn't binding, though.

Under the terms of the new collective bargaining agreement, the NFL commissioner no longer has the authority to unilaterally issue suspensions for violations of the personal-conduct policy.

The commissioner does have a lot of latitude when the disciplinary officer deems a suspension to be worthy. In this case, the door remained open for the NFL to appeal and allow commissioner Roger Goodell to determine whether he will hear the appeal or appoint a designee to hear it. Goodell or his designee will then make a decision whether to uphold, extend or reduce the six-game suspension.

You got that exactly right FY...  We (the NFL) will only go along with the charade of an independent arbitrator, as long as we agree with the outcome. Screw that crap.  I sincerely hope Goodell is letting a few of his communicating neurons think.  If Roger (or anyone he "designates") has any connections to the NFL to hear the appeal...You're going to hear a 120 decibel chant KANGAROO COURT.  :( 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, hoorta said:

Any lawyers out there?  It will probably start with an injunction being filed against the NFL to go pound salt.  I'll use a dirty word in this Forum "Political"...  What I've learned in my adventures in that sphere, the defense (in this case the NFLPA) can use a process called "discovery"... You can bet the ranch the player's association will drag up all the shit that the above owners (who are supposed to be held to a higher standard) got away with essentially scot free...  I have NO doubts the NFLPA's lawyers are already working overtime at producing a mountain of paperwork that will take a judge weeks to wade through.  

What's your opinion on this. Not my words, got it from another site.

if the NFLPA sues then Watson plays this year BUT...

If I were Watson, I wouldn't allow the NFLPA sue. If that happens, then the whole process goes to litigation with an injunction on any decision and Watson will be allowed to play pending the outcome. The league can then toll the decision until after the end of the 2022 season, at which time Watson’s suspension could include a fine on his 2023 salary ($40+ million), instead of his 2022 $58k per game check.

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2022/08/03/deshaun-watson-appeal-suspension/

The NFLPA had announced before the decision that they would not appeal but that announcement is not binding.

Now that the NFL has appealed the suspension, Roger Goodell can decide who hears that appeal including deciding he is the person to do so.

It has been known that the NFL has wanted at least a year suspension since the discipline hearing started. We also found out the two sides tried to settle before Robinson’s decision but couldn’t find common ground.

During that settlement talk, the NFL wanted a 12-game suspension and a huge fine while Watson’s side was more open to a six to eight-game discpline.

According to multiple reports, which started with Adam Schefter’s appearance on ‘Get Up’, the reason the NFL wants Watson out for at least 12 games is that they don’t want him playing in Houston this year:

As it has seemed with the NFL in a variety of situations, public relations seems to be a primary motivator once again. Whether someone believes that Watson deserves a longer suspension or not, extending it for this reason is not about doing the right thing.

With the appeal from the NFL in, the NFLPA has two days to respond before the appeal process begins. That process may not take too long before a new punishment is enacted. From there, Watson may choose to pursue a federal lawsuit ala Tom Brady.

More uncertainty and, seemingly, more PR spin while Browns training camp carries on.

• Thanks 1

again.. 

Rodger has been playing this same Bullshit card since he told every player/fans, since standing at a Ray Rice suspension in 2014.. "We have to get these right" While Sue proved, His conduct policy is hot garbage when it comes down to deciding games suspended and fines to the matters at hand .. (and now let's pull Sue, out from under your bus Rodger)

I certainly don't want Rodgers pack of goon'd suits doing his 'dirty work' that Sue Robinson preformed..

Robinson did her professional job finding of what Watson did... Than found out Rodger was a dip-shit when it became time to handout fines/suspensions given...

Now Rodger does not like agreed upon appointed officials either... 🤦‍♂️ 🤷‍♂️

Maybe next time Eli & Peyton Manning can agree on suspended games 🤩

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ballpeen said:

Maybe not until next season.

My feeling is it isn't about the number of games Watson was suspended.  It is more about how much money he will lose during the suspension.  The NFL may not appeal for more games, they make see an additional fine.

The problem is the NFL suspends for games.  Games hurt teams and fans, not players.  Losing the check is what hurts players. You start fining players based on 1/17 of their salary, then you don't have to even fool with games.  As it stands Watson will lose around $58,000 per game suspended.  Even all 17 he is out $1,000,000.

At 6 games he is out around $350,000.  I can't say that is enough compared to what other players are losing by being suspended.  The NFL may not seek a longer suspension.  They may seek to have monetary damages assessed.

100% agree. I believe the entire penalty structure needs to be changed to financial only. I say that when it’s “conduct detrimental” not for actual criminal convictions. Game suspensions penalize far to many innocents including teammates and fans. Secondly the definition needs to be far less subjective and the entire process needs to be independent of the league office. 

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

I would absolutely love to see what some of your wives and daughters would think of what some of you have written about this subject. 

Have any of these hot take radio phone callers, ever claimed to have wives or daughters in the professional massage business?  NO !

They hate anything to do with the Browns.. than they call the next radio show, claiming the same 💩

22 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

Have any of these hot take radio phone callers, ever claimed to have wives or daughters in the professional massage business?  NO !

They hate anything to do with the Browns.. than they call the next radio show, claiming the same 💩

My sister in law is a professional masseuse. She thinks this is all a sham. As she relayed to me any true professional would never have had a second appointment if they were so horrified by the first one. If someone asked  her about a happy ending or rubbing his groin she’ would ask them to leave and never make another appointment. Every other legit pro would too. 

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, jcam222 said:

My sister in law is a professional masseuse. She thinks this is all a sham. As she relayed to me any true professional would never have had a second appointment if they were so horrified by the first one. If someone asked  her about a happy ending or rubbing his groin she’ would ask them to leave and never make another appointment. Every other legit pro would too. 

Thanks for sharing this info also^^ this Sham just got real..

I was driving back from my mail route yesterday.. Got caught by a train & had to detour thru downtown...Wouldn't you know it...

I see this run down shack of a house with a paper sign in the yard offering 3 prices/types of massages.. 🥺

Legal right turn on red quickly.. as I saw enough details..

1 hour ago, FY56 said:

What's your opinion on this. Not my words, got it from another site.

if the NFLPA sues then Watson plays this year BUT...

If I were Watson, I wouldn't allow the NFLPA sue. If that happens, then the whole process goes to litigation with an injunction on any decision and Watson will be allowed to play pending the outcome. The league can then toll the decision until after the end of the 2022 season, at which time Watson’s suspension could include a fine on his 2023 salary ($40+ million), instead of his 2022 $58k per game check.

Yup, Watson will 100% take any lumps this year when by comparison his 2022 salary is peanuts compared to 2023...  If he was suspended this entire season, he's only out $1 million...  Next year, if he's only suspended 6 games that number jumps up to around $14 million.   

44 minutes ago, jcam222 said:

100% agree. I believe the entire penalty structure needs to be changed to financial only. I say that when it’s “conduct detrimental” not for actual criminal convictions. Game suspensions penalize far to many innocents including teammates and fans. Secondly the definition needs to be far less subjective and the entire process needs to be independent of the league office. 

If you read Robinson's report... she said exactly that- there were NO clear definitions that the NFL went by in making their determinations of Watson's misbehavior... OTOH, they made it up on the fly.... 

And FWIW Mr. Patriots owner Bobbie Kraft... You somehow think Deshaun deserves more punishment, but somehow you figure getting caught red-handed visiting a house of prostitution isn't "conduct detrimental to the image of the NFL"? And you got away with it.  Maybe since they retroactively want to change the rules for DW, they can retroactively fine Kraft about a million or two and suspend him for 1\2 the season.....  However, Rodger the Dodger knows who signs his paychecks, fat chance of THAT ever happening.  :(  

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, hoorta said:

If you read Robinson's report... she said exactly that- there were NO clear definitions that the NFL went by in making their determinations of Watson's misbehavior... OTOH, they made it up on the fly....  

I don't believe Robinson should have qualified to be judging game suspensions nor fines..Turning this back to a single NFL choice has to go also...

Robinson than agreed to follow by the NFLPA's request of past suspension findings of players.. (instead of NFLPA owners claims..they were used as Sue's pawns)  ...   

8 hours ago, hoorta said:

As I posted in Steve's thread... The NFLPA  is going to come out with guns blazing in Court.... You (the NFL) want to put the hammer down on Deshaun, but Bob Kraft is caught on camera visiting a prostitute, and crickets?  Suspend him for an equal number of games.  

In the first place it's two different issues. A prostitutes job is to suck your weiner. A massage therapists job is to rub your back. A prostitute isn't likely to be offended if you jerk off on them. A massage therapist or a barista or a Dollar General Clerk possibly will.

WSS

• Upvote 1

On 8/1/2022 at 6:39 PM, SdBacker80 said:

I see four teams that can beat themselves even if we aren’t functioning well.

1 team that we can bludgeon between the tackles. 

and 1 team that is extremely well coached and probably not going to make a lot of mistakes.

As to your first statement I guess if Watson had only beaten himself we wouldn't be having this problem.

WSS 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, hoorta said:

Too bad The Gipper isn't around anymore to comment... Robinson had to use the NFL's version of what "violence" is, not the legal version of one. You can read the report of what was considered "violence", I'm not going to repeat it here. However, for it to be "indecent exposure" it has to be in public, but I'm not a lawyer.  :)  Yeah, it wasn't just a "massage" it was thinly veiled prostitution. But how many other NFL players have visited The Chicken Ranch or it's equivalent multiple times in the past?

And this reeks of nth degree hypocrisy Mr. Kraft.. You got off scot free... 

Wow the entire league and not just Cleveland  ?

Do you agree ?  Even coming from Kraft.  

17 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

In the first place it's two different issues. A prostitutes job is to suck your weiner. A massage therapists job is to rub your back. A prostitute isn't likely to be offended if you jerk off on them. A massage therapist or a barista or a Dollar General Clerk possibly will.

WSS

Not really Steve.. Part of the NFL's case against DW was conduct besmirching the  "Shield". Kraft certainly did. But him and the other owners sign Goodell's pay checks. Double standard there. 

13 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Wow the entire league and not just Cleveland  ?

Do you agree ?  Even coming from Kraft.  

Right now, it is what it is. Stay tuned in for the continuing soap opera " The Days of Deshaun Watson ".  :)

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jcam222 said:

My wife recognizes it for what it is. Gold digging and woke mob frenzy. 

Gold digging yeah, but I'm not seeing the woke mob thing.

What I'm also not seeing is the "me too" crowd showing up to support these female therapists. 

5 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

WSS

In addition to what @hoortasaid, soliciting prostitution is actually a crime in Florida, whereas whatever DW is accused of is so far from a crime, Grand Juries won't even start a trail.  

6 hours ago, FY56 said:

I'm not seeing the woke mob

That's because it's not a thing.  It's just word salad added to something else which is tangible.  If there's "A Mob" that mob is present because of a policy dispute or historical event which is real.  It has no specific definition because "woke" is Whatever The Person Saying It Dislikes.

"Woke" is something stupid people say.. it's a value-free and meaning-free term that wastes both space and time.

It's the adult equivalent of the 4th grade insult "I'm not stupid, You're stupid."

I'd ask people to have the self-respect to stop using that word, but that's an insult to the people on this forum who have no self-respect.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, hoorta said:

Not really Steve.. Part of the NFL's case against DW was conduct besmirching the  "Shield". Kraft certainly did. But him and the other owners sign Goodell's pay checks. Double standard there. 

That much is true. But the two situations are apples and oranges. Actually the Dan Snyder case is closer because he actually did have women filing complaints. They did come down on the Dolphins.

WSS

cluster 💩 storm..

Several groups believe now that a Texas star like Watson should have never had his grand jury cases heard in the Houston area of Texas 🤠 

Yesterday..  the "race to the courthouse" started at 4 PM

Robinson than gets railroaded, by using the NFL's past suspension standard train-wrecks of players in past 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/08/03/deshaun-watson-appeal-will-proceed-on-paper-only-with-no-hearing/

Now let's do what Rodger wants...

It's time to turn the channel on not hearing whats next for me.. 

1 hour ago, Korsou Dawg said:

In addition to what @hoortasaid, soliciting prostitution is actually a crime in Florida, whereas whatever DW is accused of is so far from a crime, Grand Juries won't even start a trail.  

Only because it's he said she said. I don't know what the illegal tapes showed with the Bob Kraft affair. Neither do you. If they have him on tape offering money and accepting the b****** that's one thing. Speaking of illegal, entrapment isn't one of the Hallmarks of the American justice system either.

WSS

1 hour ago, Unsympathetic said:

That's because it's not a thing.  It's just word salad added to something else which is tangible.  If there's "A Mob" that mob is present because of a policy dispute or historical event which is real.  It has no specific definition because "woke" is Whatever The Person Saying It Dislikes.

"Woke" is something stupid people say.. it's a value-free and meaning-free term that wastes both space and time.

It's the adult equivalent of the 4th grade insult "I'm not stupid, You're stupid."

I'd ask people to have the self-respect to stop using that word, but that's an insult to the people on this forum who have no self-respect.

It's used because folks like the person who said this are being told all day, every day, that the shit they disagree with is "woke culture". It's absolutely insane how much it's used in the news folks like that listen to and it clearly works.

Anywho-I don't think I'm going to disagree that this process is stupid. The fact that Goddell has the power over an arbitrator, let alone one who is a federal judge, is insane. I strongly disagree with her opinion, but that should have been the end of it for better or for worse. But, that doesn't mean what the NFL is saying is untrue. This is according to them the "most egregious" violation of the conduct policy in NFL history, and I'm inclined to agree. I could see a world where they bargain for 12 games to show 'good faith' that they will work with the NFLPA and somewhat respect the arbitrator, but I doubt it. It seems evident they want to make an example out of Watson, and I can't argue that they shouldn't. 

There's no more debate to be had with any of you if you think 25+ women formed a cabal to railroad a dude for strictly money. All I can say is go listen to some Bill Cosby standup and watch a Harvery Weinstein film with your fingers in your ears.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Unsympathetic said:

Agree, Woke is something stupid people say, as in #staywoke, actually an old term brought back to life and used exclusively by the stupidity on the left side of the aisle.  Anyone else using it is only to mock.

Again, I don't see the woke crowd coming to Watsons aid. No whining about "racism" or him being discriminated against.

39 minutes ago, FY56 said:

Agree, Woke is something stupid people say, as in #staywoke, actually an old term brought back to life and used exclusively by the stupidity on the left side of the aisle.  Anyone else using it is only to mock.

Again, I don't see the woke crowd coming to Watsons aid. No whining about "racism" or him being discriminated against.

Your judging everyone using the term “woke”  as stupid is hypocritical. There are plenty of folks on the left and some on the other side who embrace and own the term woke for themselves.  That said perhaps it’s the wrong term to use here. Call it anything you like but the click bait media sensationalism and the me too crowd jumping on the bandwagon disregarding facts  are continuing to escalate this. It truly is mob frenzy. 

6 minutes ago, jcam222 said:

Your judging everyone using the term “woke”  as stupid is hypocritical. There are plenty of folks on the left and some on the other side who embrace and own the term woke for themselves.  Whether you call it woke or mob mentality this crowd along with click bait media sensationalism are continuing to escalate this. 

Just some on the other side embrace woke? Then they're stupid too, which obviously doesn't qualify me as hypocritical. The woke culture is of the left, by the left, and for the left.  It seems to me being more a case of you being in denial than of me being hypocritical.

I agree with your take media sensationalism and click bait. The media been the root for much of the discord we have today.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, FY56 said:

Just some on the other side embrace woke? Then they're stupid too, which obviously doesn't qualify me as hypocritical. The woke culture is of the left, by the left, and for the left.  It seems to me being more a case of you being in denial than of me being hypocritical.

I agree with your take media sensationalism and click bait. The media been the root for much of the discord we have today.

Overall I think we agree what is going on with the outcry in the Watson situation. Our disagreement lies in the word woke and I can respect you don’t like or agree with the term or how I’ve applied it. I haven’t and won’t call you or others stupid because we disagree. I think it’s no less wrong to directly call someone stupid when their opinion differs than it is to call a broader group “woke”. 

Watson loses 1 million dollars in salary if he is suspended the entire season this year.

Watson loses 1.5 million plus for EACH GAME if he files an injunction and drags this out until next year.

No judge will rule against the CBA.  It is negotiated and agreed upon by both parties.

CBA says basically that both parties could appeal to Goodell and he will use the facts from the case by Sue Robinson.  She clearly found him "guilty" of violating the Personal Conduct Policy.  Also, the NFL will say Watson's actions are unprecedented.

Worst thing Watson and NFLPA can do is appeal in federal court and get an injunction.  He will lose a ton more money.