THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns cuts to 53

nickers

Cleveland Browns claim Kellen Mond off waivers to be third QB

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34494751/cleveland-browns-claim-kellen-mond-waivers-third-qb-source-says

The Cleveland Browns claimed quarterback Kellen Mond off waivers from the Minnesota Vikings on Wednesday.

Mond gives the Browns a third quarterback on their active roster behind starter Jacoby Brissett and backup Joshua Dobbs while Deshaun Watson serves his 11-game suspension for violating the NFL's personal conduct policy...

The Browns also signed LB Dakota Allen, WR Daylen Baldwin, TE Miller Forristall, WR Mike Harley, C Brock Hoffman, CB Shaun Jolly, RB John Kelly, CB Herb Miller, TE Zaire Mitchell-Paden, DT David Moore, DT Roderick Perry and T Alex Taylor to their practice squad. All 12 practice squad players were with the Browns this training camp.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

NFL starting experience.  And that's pretty much the gist of it.  

If you're referring to Brissett, experienced or not, he did not play well. Rosen did and I think his potential can be unlocked in the right system (ours). Now I read somewhere that the Browns signed some one named Kellen Mond (QB). If Rosen could play better than the guy you have penciled in at starter, you would think that would be enough for a roster spot.

1 hour ago, Vambo said:

Cleveland Browns claim Kellen Mond off waivers to be third QB

6'3  ,  holds the ball nice and high,  decent arm, decent senior year.        ( Rosen wasn't better? )

Probably the most curious thing is the departure of a full back and only 2 TEs, which makes me think Stefanski is tweaking some of his play calling philosophy. I figure we will add a TE before the season starts, but it will be interesting to track how many 2 and 3 TE sets get used compared to the last couple years.

I never really thought Stef was crazy about having a full time FB on the roster either, he just wanted a guy who could adequately do full backy things. 

5 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

The Browns also signed LB Dakota Allen, WR Daylen Baldwin, TE Miller Forristall, WR Mike Harley, C Brock Hoffman, CB Shaun Jolly, RB John Kelly, CB Herb Miller, TE Zaire Mitchell-Paden, DT David Moore, DT Roderick Perry and T Alex Taylor to their practice squad. All 12 practice squad players were with the Browns this training camp.

As I hoped, Kelly clears waivers, headed to PS...  

And if someone knows out there.... What's the difference between "contract terminated" and "Waived" ?

45 minutes ago, hoorta said:

As I hoped, Kelly clears waivers, headed to PS...  

And if someone knows out there.... What's the difference between "contract terminated" and "Waived" ?

Waived player has less than four years in the league…they go through the waiver wire new team picks them up under their current contract.  But If they clear waivers their contract is terminated and they become a free agent where any team can pick them up.

Released or contract terminated….players with four or more years in the league…are free to sign with any team on a new contract.

im glad we got Mike Harley back…he may see action soon. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Mond took my Aggies to #4 overall final rating for 2020 losing early in the season to the eventual national champs Alabama. He was QB #2 behind Cousins last year. Smart kid and will play within the system. I think he's better than Brisset has shown thus far. Glad we are giving him a chance on the 53. Not sure he has a better arm than Rosen, but he is a quiet kind of leader who tries to follow the team concept without thinking he has to be in the spotlight. Maybe tia could take a peek, but if Minn. retained a lot of what Stef does here, then he's had a year in that system already backing up Cousins. If so then it will be a short learning curve.

• Thanks 2

A few Hot Takes 🤓

1) Kellen Mond.. The Browns used a higher claim so the Eagles had to settle for QB Ian Book.. frankly our dear Mond..You'll need to process your reads quicker, and get the football out/tuck it/throw it away.. Hopefully ya become the next Teddy Twatwater/ because I'm already out of Doug Williams hopes/ with Jacoby Brisette on staff.. I hope the coaching staff is happy with the Baker-less ego QB room..     I'm gladly, taking a much needed vacation away from talking our QB room until Week 13 😇.. the past 8 months was plenty

2) A Man named Blake Hance was claimed by the 49'ers 🤐..  Good Luck Blake ! 

3) DE Isaac Rochell was waived to make room on the 53 for K.Mond... (are we keeping Mond inactive weekly?)

4.) 12 spots are filled on the PS. 4 slots remain open..  a) still no FB/HB (Stanton).. b.) The Browns missed out on claiming a TE in Trevon Wesco off the Jets.. c.) and coaches have decided that a former guard in David Moore is a better fit playing DT 🙋‍♂️..

With 4 slots left? Are we still in the WR3 business? If not? WE better Join in the WR3 David Bell train now? DT? TE3? FB?

stay tuned, 

download.jpg.b39ec844c43f02c6e2fbe381d9ad55c0.jpg   Have yourself a, Happy Thirsty Thursday 🍺 (damm, I'm late 4 work again 🏃‍♂️)  

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Maybe tia could take a peek, but if Minn. retained a lot of what Stef does here, then he's had a year in that system already backing up Cousins.

I'll take a look at some point this afternoon.  

You're lucky I caught this though. Future reference, if anybody wants me to watch someone in particular, and I have time... please quote or tag me.  Otherwise I might miss it.

17 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

I'll take a look at some point this afternoon.  

You're lucky I caught this though. Future reference, if anybody wants me to watch someone in particular, and I have time... please quote or tag me.  Otherwise I might miss it.

Oh, I know you read everything tia.  😁🖥️🔍

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Unsympathetic said:

Kellen Mond Preseason Week1 - QB School.  Fun to see him hit the rear end zone pylon with the ball without a bounce.. that's actually hard to do..

Always interesting to see QB's that other organizations have-but-don't-want

The over the middle throw with a guy pushing up in his face at the 16:57 mark is a thing of beauty. Considering the pressure he really put some zip on that ball around the defenders arm up in his face.

7 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Oh, I know you read everything tia.  😁🖥️🔍

For anybody wanting to tag along, I'll be on the browns board discord in 10 minutes, eating a post-workout meal and watching Kellen Mond. 

Obviously just quoting you, Tex, letting you know that I'm giving him the due diligence. 

• Upvote 1

Each year during preseason, we see players who ball on the field and play lights out like Josh Dobbs, John Kelly, Wims, and Bradley. These players almost always get waived in favor of "established" players like Schwartz and Brissett, who basically have done and shown nothing. What the hell more do coaches have to see? Why don't they believe their own damn eyes??

Jeez.

• Confused 1

50 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

This guy nails it on Schwartz. Why is he even on the team when he adds nothing of value?

Pretty much what I was saying about him. He is just a guy that runs fast, big deal. There are plenty of guys out there that can run fast and maybe return punts or kickoffs, or maybe guys that can run fast and actually catch, maybe just not as fast. This guy is just taking up a roster spot.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

I mean just how many QB’s do we really need?

474E331B-75BE-44CC-960E-B3DC9C7212AA.jpeg

I notice the requirements to stash someone on the practice squad are way more liberal than what they were a few years ago. Rosen certainly isn't doing this for the paycheck though.  :) 

2 hours ago, Neo said:

Pretty much what I was saying about him. He is just a guy that runs fast, big deal. There are plenty of guys out there that can run fast and maybe return punts or kickoffs, or maybe guys that can run fast and actually catch, maybe just not as fast. This guy is just taking up a roster spot.

Tia corrected me, and it's worth rehashing... John Ross set the combine record in the 40, and where is he now?   From way back, my POV.  If track speed was the only thing that mattered, Reynaldo Nehemiah (world record hurdler with a tryout with the 49ers) would be in the HOF. 

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Reynaldo Nehemiah (world record hurdler with a tryout with the 49ers) would be in the HOF.

Right.  However, some of us noticed early on that speed and quickness were things this new team of Steph & Berry keyed on.  It was 1st obvious at linebacker.  

10 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

This guy nails it on Schwartz. Why is he even on the team when he adds nothing of value?

We're sentenced to the ego of the GM that fell in love with straight ahead speed only.  This could end up causing a huge rift between Berry and Stefanski when/if Berry starts getting in his ear about any inconsistencies with the passing game.

Even worse, because he reached so bad on this guy - Andrew Berry has the mentality of "I'm going to show everyone who is right here."  Well, good luck with that one because in your position you should be able to differentiate football players from non-football players. Right now a lot of our most talented players we have weren't drafted or brought here by him such as: Nick Chubb, Denzel Ward, Myles Garrett, Joel Bitonio, Wyatt Teller, Kareem Hunt and I'll reach a little adding DPJ.

This guy isn't only in our final 53 but he's being rewarded with reps with the starting line-up he's done ZERO to earn.  That horrible message from the top trickles all the way down to the players especially if/when the top starts questioning consistency and attitude.    Like the kid said in the movie Remember the Titans said "attitude reflects leadership!"   We need that again in Cleveland like a pyromaniac needs a box of matches... 

7 minutes ago, Flugel said:

We're sentenced to the ego of the GM that fell in love with straight ahead speed only.  This could end up causing a huge rift between Berry and Stefanski when/if Berry starts getting in his ear about any inconsistencies with the passing game.

Even worse, because he reached so bad on this guy - Andrew Berry has the mentality of "I'm going to show everyone who is right here."  Well, good luck with that one because in your position you should be able to differentiate football players from non-football players. Right now a lot of our most talented players we have weren't drafted or brought here by him such as: Nick Chubb, Denzel Ward, Myles Garrett, Joel Bitonio, Wyatt Teller, Kareem Hunt and I'll reach a little adding DPJ.

This guy isn't only in our final 53 but he's being rewarded with reps with the starting line-up he's done ZERO to earn.  That horrible message from the top trickles all the way down to the players especially if/when the top starts questioning consistency and attitude.    Like the kid said in the movie Remember the Titans said "attitude reflects leadership!"   We need that again in Cleveland like a pyromaniac needs a box of matches... 

To be fair Flugs, JOK is a speed guy who Berry brought in that looked very, very good last year, and could easily be on that list of talented players. 

But yes, Schwartz is only here because the guys who drafted him are still in charge. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Dutch Oven said:

To be fair Flugs, JOK is a speed guy who Berry brought in that looked very, very good last year, and could easily be on that list of talented players. 

But yes, Schwartz is only here because the guys who drafted him are still in charge. 

Worthy of note - Thanks Dutch!    Another young guy that looks like he has a very promising future ahead with us is CB Greg Newsome II.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I think some of us would be a little more understanding with Schwartz if he wasn't being crammed into our starting line-up - costing us the ability to extend drives.  Even worse, as mentioned on the video - he doesn't offer this team 1 other function aside from dropping footballs and running himself into coverages DBs really appreciate.

This is going to be controversial but I gotta say it.  Kenny Pickett was a 4 year starter with the same tiny hands that were supposed to make Joe Burrow a horrible pick.  He went to a division rival at the 20th pick overall who already signed a previous 1st round pick (Trubisky) to be their starter while Pickett learns.  If he turns out to be the real deal, there's going to be a TON of people wondering why the Browns didn't just keep Baker since they exercised the 5th year option (to be like Trubisky is right now) until Pickett is ready.  I say this because the Browns were scheduled to draft before Pittsburgh.  We made it so they didn't even have to make 1 trade up to land Pickett while we lost 3 first round picks and sentenced ourselves to 11 games with a backup QB.  Believe it or not, I have previously mentioned I think Pickett was going to be a great draft pick for somebody.

Some may say hindsight is 20/20 but if someone wants to go down as a great personnel expert as a GM - you might want to make sure you've thoroughly researched the top QB prospects in every draft you're in charge of for your employer. I say foresight in the FO separates the contenders from the pretenders.  The ONLY 1st round QB that panned out for this franchise in the Super Bowl era was Supplemental pick Bernie Kosar in 1985.