THE BROWNS BOARD

Tale of the Tape - Browns vs Jets

Orion

image.png.901b08c5ecc17c9dabf205af86df38db.png

OK, we've got one puny week's worth of data.  So what can we glean from it?  Well, defensively the Jets seem as good as we are.  And they held the Ravens to 63 yards rushing.  And we currently believe that we HAVE  TO be able to run the ball to have hopes of winning games.  I mean, is anyone confident that we're going to be moving up very high in the passing rankings with Brissett at the helm?  

The Tale told here seems to be of a difficult matchup for each team.  

And in reality, this is a Must win game for us.  We've gotta beat the teams that we're supposed beat in order to have any hopes of a playoff run later.

Basically every other position will have to show up, in order for the likely lack of success passing. O-line, backs, defense. Hope coach calls for more short passing plays to help our Brisset. Get Njoku more involved, screen passes and such. 

As long a 'fancy' Stefanski lets Yorkie kick the ball, as opposed to his usual fourth down shenanigans, we're in with a shot. 

13 hours ago, Orion said:

So what can me gleam from it?  ;)

Lots have a board pal that turned age 70 this week 🙏.. Tour increased a-lot of folks football knowledge here, by simply dropping in some of his OL wisdom of posts/grades.. I for one, miss those already.. I remember login in here in 2014, just to sponge off some football whits of fans like Tia/Tour/Mudfly/Flugel/ & TCPO... ect./ect to those i missed..

When ya add in this weeks pregame thought...  The Browns will be hanging #73 Joe Thomas on the stadiums Ring of Fame Sunday..

This Browns team early success, should count heavily on where our OL could take this team..(see week 1) from game clock/winning field position/TD's or FG's? We can't count on York to make every plus 50 yard FG..and the ball will turnover to where he misses it from..Coaching needs to keep this in their closing of games mindsets  

On the other side... Still stands The Jets, continuing to show a stout defense in Week 1 vs the Ravens..Hunt & Chubb combined for season rushing lows in a covid 2020 game at the Jets.. Many Browns were covid out/in our last Jets matchup.. Your pal, WR J.Bradley was our WR2.... 

In closing for the day (boats on the hitch/w/perfect weather).. I really can't think of a better defensive team to get this Browns team prepared for a TNF game vs Pittsburgh..but,

Sunday's game just has that special feeling of a happy ending to his special Week 🎂 for a special internet friend @Tour2ma 🥲

Go get this win for Tour OL !  (and soon to be #73 HOF JT too!)

Let's Go rock some Jets Cleveland Browns !  

🙏  

• Upvote 2

Chubb and Hunt with ball in hands 45 times.  Now I think you need to get creative with it in short pass game or split out and on some simple routes.  They could look something like 23/13 carries respectively and 9 receptions between the two. 

Throw in a couple run plays to Schwartz and Felton. 

That gives you 18-20 other pass plays split it up with playaction and high percentage throws to DPJ, Njoku and Cooper.  

Of course take care of the football and Our play caller can’t get too cute now is not the time.  

Defense give us a couple three and outs where we can shift field position and one turnover…two and we are golden.  And Bow up in the redzone give up more FGs than TDs.

This is the weekly formula. 

We aren’t going win the next couple months with splashy QB play like other teams.  So quit calling for Jacoby to sit.  

Browns 24-16 this week.  Jets score late 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Korsou Dawg said:

Get Njoku more involved,    Yes.  And Harrison Bryant is supposed to be so great.  And the new hired gun, Jesse James.

As long a 'fancy' Stefanski lets Yorkie kick the ball, as opposed to his usual fourth down shenanigans, we're in with a shot. 

Yeah, the analytics side of his brain (along with Berry & DePodesta) keeps haunting him to do the 'shenanigans'.  :)  Hopefully York can keep hitting the FG's so as to suppress that tendency a bit.  

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

Chubb and Hunt with ball in hands 45 times.  Now I think you need to get creative with it in short pass game or split out and on some simple routes.  They could look something like 23/13 carries respectively and 9 receptions between the two. 

Throw in a couple run plays to Schwartz and Felton. 

That gives you 18-20 other pass plays split it up with playaction and high percentage throws to DPJ, Njoku and Cooper.  

Of course take care of the football and Our play caller can’t get too cute now is not the time.  

Defense give us a couple three and outs where we can shift field position and one turnover…two and we are golden.  And Bow up in the redzone give up more FGs than TDs.

This is the weekly formula. 

We aren’t going win the next couple months with splashy QB play like other teams.  So quit calling for Jacoby to sit.  

Browns 24-16 this week.  Jets score late 

Agree with all of this. Only reason I am calling for Jacoby to sit, is the rushing ability Dobbs showed in pre-season, in addition to his arm. Having a rushing QB in addition to Chubb and Hunt seems an absolute nightmare for opposing defenses. Something they would have to adjust their entire game-plan to. You could even call a two tight end set with no backs as a 'trick' play, have them think: "they are definitely passing now," and still run the football with Dobbs. 

Coaching staff showed some creativity with running plays week 1. Handing the ball off one way, and then a second time to Schwartz for him to sweep the other way at full speed was quite ingenious. Mixing things up from rushing up the middle like that prevents defenses to just stack the box, the latter being potential kryptonite to our offense. And doing so rushing instead of passing seems the better bet. A rushing QB would help with that as well. 

The more I think about it, the more I would like to see us run the 'Cerberus' offense this season!

173-1731025_clip-art-cerberus-hellhound-

2 series in on the Jets defense so far.

- Their linebackers have been absolutely flying all over the place.  Their gap exchange discipline has been unreal,  on top of how aggressive and "eyes up" they are when scraping.  The lateral awareness on pursuit has been impressive.  

- So far, Lamar has been given some softball passes.  Including a cool split field design, with one half to the boundary being a curl/flat combo.  To the other field half, you have what initially looks like a stick-out. But looking closer, it's actually just a more of a forward pass z bubble based off the LB's leverage.   As the split Y and the X receiver aren't running any actual route, they're running up to their respective DB's looking to block engage anticipating this ball going to only one man.  

- 2nd drive, Lamar BADLY misses on an out from the #2 which would have resulted in a first down.  His wonky ass throwing motion is still a problem and when there are possible hands in the throwing lane, he makes strange lower body adjustments to deliver past and it affects his accuracy throwing at or outside the numbers to moving targets.   Funny enough, because I mentioned this when, I believe it was @hoorta that asked my evaluation on Lamar?  The 5 man pressure designs with match and man that crowd the middle of the field...

Seen here, half way down in the middle of the post. 

Apparently the Jets feel the same that myself, the Bolts, Titans and Bills felt, the philosophy of exchanged 5 man pressures and forcing outside throws is a winning strategy.   Lamar missed this receiver, by the way.

490925076_Lamarmissed.thumb.jpg.8e128c9f74710f0902f3837eaba89543.jpg

I'm getting off track.  Early results on the Jets defense are favorable.  I have a feeling the more of this game I watch, the more I'll find they were just out there so long with little to no offensive support.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Lots have a board pal that turned age 70 this week 🙏.. Tour increased a-lot of folks football knowledge here, by simply dropping in some of his OL wisdom of posts/grades.. I for one, miss those already.. I remember login in here in 2014, just to sponge off some football whits of fans like Tia/Tour/Mudfly/Flugel/ & TCPO... ect./ect to those i missed..

When ya add in this weeks pregame thought...  The Browns will be hanging #73 Joe Thomas on the stadiums Ring of Fame Sunday..

This Browns team early success, should count heavily on where our OL could take this team..(see week 1) from game clock/winning field position/TD's or FG's? We can't count on York to make every plus 50 yard FG..and the ball will turnover to where he misses it from..Coaching needs to keep this in their closing of games mindsets  

On the other side... Still stands The Jets, continuing to show a stout defense in Week 1 vs the Ravens..Hunt & Chubb combined for season rushing lows in a covid 2020 game at the Jets.. Many Browns were covid out/in our last Jets matchup.. Your pal, WR J.Bradley was our WR2.... 

In closing for the day (boats on the hitch/w/perfect weather).. I really can't think of a better defensive team to get this Browns team prepared for a TNF game vs Pittsburgh..but,

Sunday's game just has that special feeling of a happy ending to his special Week 🎂 for a special internet friend @Tour2ma 🥲

Go get this win for Tour OL !  (and soon to be #73 HOF JT too!)

Let's Go rock some Jets Cleveland Browns !  

🙏  

Thanks for the compliment Gumbs!  Backatchya!  

I hope this isn't just wishful thinking; but I see no reason Brissett can't improve his accuracy and consistency as he gets more familiar with the Receivers and TEs.  He fit some passes into tight windows in the 2nd half to DPJ in particular.  Some of those came when there was zero margin of error left.   There's some positives to build on while chemistry with receivers requires way more than the very limited preseason game reps Brissett had with the WR Corps.  It's not like he was here last year so all these guys are all pretty much game day strangers to him. They're gonna be strangers to Watson too. Did Cooper even play in any of the preseason games? 

Very glad to hear they're going to honor Joe Thomas this Sunday.  He'll definitely be a 1st ballot HOFer as making 10 of 10 possible Pro Bowls says he should be. Wouldn't it also be pretty sweet if this Sunday also becomes the day Myles Garrett breaks Clay Matthews' franchise leading volume of career sacks?

Speaking of Joe Thomas, it's too bad Ghoolie never made it to Nashville the weekend Gipper and Hoorta came about 6 years ago. Gipper would have had the outrageous memory of watching his buddy Flugel tie Ghoolie up into a pretzel and squeezing him into a children's large Joe Thomas jersey on one of his final Cleveland Browns road trips. It probably would have ended up looking like a half shirt designed by Seymore Belly and modeled exclusively by Ghoolie. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Flugel said:

Thanks for the compliment Gumbs!  Backatchya!  

I hope this isn't just wishful thinking; but I see no reason Brissett can't improve his accuracy and consistency as he gets more familiar with the Receivers and TEs.  He fit some passes into tight windows in the 2nd half to DPJ in particular.  Some of those came when there was zero margin of error left.   There's some positives to build on while chemistry with receivers requires way more than the very limited preseason game reps Brissett had with the WR Corps.  It's not like he was here last year so all these guys are all pretty much game day strangers to him. They're gonna be strangers to Watson too. Did Cooper even play in any of the preseason games? 

Very glad to hear they're going to honor Joe Thomas this Sunday.  He'll definitely be a 1st ballot HOFer as making 10 of 10 possible Pro Bowls says he should be. Wouldn't it also be pretty sweet if this Sunday also becomes the day Myles Garrett breaks Clay Matthews' franchise leading volume of career sacks?

Speaking of Joe Thomas, it's too bad Ghoolie never made it to Nashville the weekend Gipper and Hoorta came about 6 years ago. Gipper would have had the outrageous memory of watching his buddy Flugel tie Ghoolie up into a pretzel and squeezing him into a children's large Joe Thomas jersey on one of his final Cleveland Browns road trips. It probably would have ended up looking like a half shirt designed by Seymore Belly and modeled exclusively by Ghoolie. 

I have to say thanks again for the hospitality on that trip Flugs...  Other than another Browns loss.  :(  BTW, none other than Jimmy Haslam showed up at the Browns Tailgate for selfies and shaking hands. Well... besides Gipper wanting visit the American Pickers store, where there was a line around a mile long to get into the place. Personally, I'd rather go to the dentist for a root canal, instead of browse an antiques (junk) store.  Fortunately, there was a wine bar a few stores down where I could cool it sipping some vino. While you goobers stood waiting in line for about 40 minutes to get in.  :)  

12 hours ago, hoorta said:

I have to say thanks again for the hospitality on that trip Flugs...  Other than another Browns loss.  :(  BTW, none other than Jimmy Haslam showed up at the Browns Tailgate for selfies and shaking hands. Well... besides Gipper wanting visit the American Pickers store, where there was a line around a mile long to get into the place. Personally, I'd rather go to the dentist for a root canal, instead of browse an antiques (junk) store.  Fortunately, there was a wine bar a few stores down where I could cool it sipping some vino. While you goobers stood waiting in line for about 40 minutes to get in.  :)  

It was a pleasure Larry - you guys were a lot of fun!  That wine bar was pretty good once we got out of that store.  I remember on Saturday afternoon I was looking forward to watching some of the good college/SEC matchups when Gipper asked "Flugel would you mind going to see the house where President James Polk lived/worked at while he was our President?"  So, we were off to Columbia, TN while I think you went to church and/or shopping. That was well worth the short trip. I stay away from talking politics on the board; but Gipper was delightfully insightful about some of our former Presidents before the social media era.  The stuff he told me about President Kennedy and the Kennedy family was fascinating.  The trip home felt like 5 minutes.  

That night was a lot of fun going to the party hosted by the Browns Backers at that Honky Tonk Sports Bar.  Mack and Byner were there interacting with fans looking happy to do so.  First class guys!  Loved that tandem.  The one we have today reminds me a lot of them.  We really packed a lot into that Saturday and Sunday.

Jets defense looks real. 

And this young DB they have, Sauce Gardner... kid played like he's been in the league a few years already against Baltimore.  Can't give him enough praise for not only his technique and execution, but his I.Q as well.  His rotations and replacements were assignment sound.  Very uncommon for a rookie to look that composed, let alone his 1st game playing the 2nd most difficult position in football. 

What success the Ravens found through the air was mostly away from him.    

Going to be every bit the war of attrition it was against Carolina.  Maybe even more so, because this Green Defense looks very gap sound on the IDL. Not entirely sure we see some of the rushing success in terms of chunk plays that happened week 1. 

But the Jets Oline is weak on the edges and their passing game is below average.  

Patient, methodical, field position , don't blink first and let the home crowd advantage do it's thing.   Would be shocked if this is a Browns win over 7 points. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Flugel said:

good college/SEC matchups when Gipper asked "Flugel would you mind going to see the house where President James Polk lived/worked at while he was our President?"   😀 (that's our Gip!)

That night was a lot of fun going to the party hosted by the Browns Backers at that Honky Tonk Sports Bar.  Mack and Byner were there interacting with fans looking happy to do so.  First class guys!  Loved that tandem.  The one we have today reminds me a lot of them.  We really packed a lot into that Saturday and Sunday.

I sadly missed this road trip to a friend we lost at work :( (bless ya Flip-(per) 🙏 ... #34 K. Mack's still all :) at the Panthers Week 1.. was a great Saturday night !

download.jpg.d86377baf6328e5bde28e3ce62f9d47a.jpg

32 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Jets defense looks real.    

Going to be every bit the war of attrition it was against Carolina.  Maybe even more so, because this Green Defense looks very gap sound on the IDL. Not entirely sure we see some of the rushing success in terms of chunk plays that happened week 1.  On the other hand, the Ravens Oline doesn't look good either.

But the Jets Oline is weak on the edges and their passing game is below average.  

Sorry Tia, I didn't see a post coming.. I think we hit enter at the same time..

Pocic will certainly have his a hands full of  

DT's

98 Rankins, Sheldon U/NO                
95 *stud  Williams, Quinnen 19/1  

Jets LT George Fant handled Garrett fairly well in their last match-up (Fant's ?'able for todays game)

Both teams weakness at OL becomes the survivor of RT's.. James Hudson vs Connor McGovern

We may save RT Jack Conklin for Steelers TNF?  stay tuned

Dear Coach Stefanski, I have one thing to say for today #BrownsCLEBrowns2022SeasonEmoji.png

images.jpg.d9a0a21625a33317671cdbca283d4877.jpg

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

Njoku will be heavily involved in the passing attack today, you can bet on it. I wouldn't be surprised if Njoku got the very first pass today. 

Brissett missed virtually every big play last week, that won't happen again. I also believe our defense scores. 

36 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

I sadly missed this road trip to a friend we lost at work :( (bless ya Flip-(per) 🙏 ... #34 K. Mack's still all :) at the Panthers Week 1.. was a great Saturday night !

download.jpg.d86377baf6328e5bde28e3ce62f9d47a.jpg

In your's and your buddy's honor, I give you former Clemson and Cleveland sensation tucking Greg Lloyd in for a nap on the grass.  The video can still be seen despite what it says so enjoy!

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Jets defense looks real. 

And this young DB they have, Sauce Gardner... kid played like he's been in the league a few years already against Baltimore.  Can't give him enough praise for not only his technique and execution, but his I.Q as well.  His rotations and replacements were assignment sound.  Very uncommon for a rookie to look that composed, let alone his 1st game playing the 2nd most difficult position in football. 

What success the Ravens found through the air was mostly away from him.    

Going to be every bit the war of attrition it was against Carolina.  Maybe even more so, because this Green Defense looks very gap sound on the IDL. Not entirely sure we see some of the rushing success in terms of chunk plays that happened week 1. 

Patient, methodical, field position , don't blink first and let the home crowd advantage do it's thing.   Would be shocked if this is a Browns win over 7 points. 

Tia, how did the rookie RT (Faalele) for the Rats look for the Rats?  If I tried to pronounce that, I'd prolly sound like drunk Philly fan swearing at Santa Claus.  I got a sick feeling that guy is going to be a bad ass sometime soon.  Having said that, what Callahan and his assistant Scott Peters have accomplished with the development of James Hudson is really remarkable.  I think we'll be fine whenever he fills in.  

54 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

Sorry Tia, I didn't see a post coming.. I think we hit enter at the same time..

Pocic will certainly have his a hands full of  

DT's

98 Rankins, Sheldon U/NO                
95 *stud  Williams, Quinnen 19/1  

No need to apologize. I hadn't noticed either until I came back.

Don't leave out Franklin-Meyers either.  Dude slides all over their fronts and played very well against the Ravens.

43 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

Njoku will be heavily involved in the passing attack today, you can bet on it. I wouldn't be surprised if Njoku got the very first pass today. 

I actually expect the Browns to come out in 11 personnel and throw a couple quick hitters early.  Like last week, except we don't open with that weakside zone.

33 minutes ago, Flugel said:

Tia, how did the rookie RT (Faalele) for the Rats look for the Rats?   Having said that, what Callahan and his assistant Scott Peters have accomplished with the development of James Hudson is really remarkable.  I think we'll be fine whenever he fills in.  

Let me get back to you shortly on that.  I'm already up watching film for my bets today, I'll jump back over to the Ravens-Jets and focus him.

edit:  back to the first 2 drives, I haven't seen him out there once.  Let me check the snap logs to see if he even played?

double edit: Game log shows inactive week 1.  So we'll have to wait more to see how he fares.  Sorry I couldn't get any info on him bubs. Can't cook with food I don't have though.  🤣

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

Let me get back to you shortly on that.  I'm already up watching film for my bets today, I'll jump back over to the Ravens-Jets and focus him.

edit:  back to the first 2 drives, I haven't seen him out there once.  Let me check the snap logs to see if he even played?

double edit: Game log shows inactive week 1.  So we'll have to wait more to see how he fares.  Sorry I couldn't get any info on him bubs. Can't cook with food I don't have though.  🤣

Sorry about sending you on a wild goose chase when you already spent enough time researching the Jets for us!