THE BROWNS BOARD

Ex-Buckeye DB Tyvis Powell breaks down what happend vs Jets

Dutch Oven

He goes over what went wrong for three of the Flacco touchdown passes, and the onside kick. 

It's a really good video, my favorite part is at about the 8:00 minute mark when one of the guys with Powell on the Ultimate Cleveland Sports Show remarks that "you make it look so simple when you break it down" and Powell replies with: "Because it is!" 

• Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

He goes over what went wrong for three of the Flacco touchdown passes, and the onside kick. 

It's a really good video, my favorite part is at about the 8:00 minute mark when one of the guys with Powell on the Ultimate Cleveland Sports Show remarks that "you make it look so simple when you break it down" and Powell replies with: "Because it is!" 

That's a good point and I hadn't considered that....     The 66 yard TD past denzel.  He turns him over to Grant, who is dropping into (what looks like) a 2 read, where he robs curl to post.  So he wasn't expecting to have to recover back overtop then.      

However that presents another problem because for most, if not all of the game, we ran a TON of cover 2 to the weakside or boundary.    So now you're getting players simply not being on the same page or communicating how they treat receivers formationally speaking (2x1, 3x1 etc etc)    So when Tyvis is saying they treat that weakside TE who is off the line like a gravedigger, he's saying that Young JoK expands with him curl to flat, Delpit would be on an alert seam OR, if he see's said #2 go flat, he clues to backside deep over while Denzel has to match #1 vertical in his deep 1/3rd.    Meaning you never really leave your cover 3 to that side.  

Makes perfect sense to me.  However that's what I need to know then - are we not communicating it correctly from safety to corner (inside to out?) or are the sight adjustments vs formations not being understood  as a uniform group?    Might have to give that video a whole watch. It's fun listening to former players talk when you can understand the language.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Makes perfect sense to me.  However that's what I need to know then - are we not communicating it correctly from safety to corner (inside to out?) or are the sight adjustments vs formations not being understood  as a uniform group?    Might have to give that video a whole watch. It's fun listening to former players talk when you can understand the language.

To your questions in bold: I think we saw examples of both.  It was awesome to listen to Tyvis. His summary of the Onside kick nightmare and what should have been done was perfect!

Overall, I'm disappointed with many parts of our coaching staff and it's a reflection of Stefanski IMO.  Yes, I know he was Coach of the year in 2020; but Matt Nagy was also a Coach of the year very early on in Chicago.  He should have a lot more knowledge of what's going on with all 3 of his units.  He had zero knowledge of STs and his defense Sunday.

I'm also looking for some Team Leaders to step up instead of worrying why people that paid a ton of money felt like booing at the end of the game.  This team needs better leadership from the staff and the veterans.  That will also enhance the communication lacking out there.

Again, that game was won by the better prepared team that wanted it more.  That simple!  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Flugel said:

To your questions in bold: I think we saw examples of both.  It was awesome to listen to Tyvis. His summary of the Onside kick nightmare and what should have been done was perfect!

Overall, I'm disappointed with many parts of our coaching staff and it's a reflection of Stefanski IMO.  Yes, I know he was Coach of the year in 2020; but Matt Nagy was also a Coach of the year very early on in Chicago.  He should have a lot more knowledge of what's going on with all 3 of his units.  He had zero knowledge of STs and his defense Sunday.

I'm also looking for some Team Leaders to step up instead of worrying why people that paid a ton of money felt like booing at the end of the game.  This team needs better leadership from the staff and the veterans.  That will also enhance the communication lacking out there.

Again, that game was won by the better prepared team that wanted it more.  That simple!  

Again... It starts from KS.. Woods is GAWD awful!... something has to give... It's inertia baby!

7 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I'll be at the game tomorrow night, sitting in the upper deck, so I'll get a great view of the secondary all night long. 

Let's hope that's a good thing for you Dutch!   They definitely had some issues to resolve in the short week.  I was kind of hoping all of the mini-camps and training camp took care of any and all confusion; but it looks like I was confused.

The good news?  2 starting corners are veterans and so are the Safeties.  Emerson is the only rookie corner in the starting rotation/unit.  That SHOULD mean they're not all just learning this defense for the 1st time outside of a few amendments/wrinkles.

I'll try to keep my eye on what we're doing in the flats; which isn't always easy on TV.  If Pittsburgh watched film - that has to be a bullseye for a team that loves to attack the flats with Najee Harris anyway.  

The thing I need to remember better, it's not like these guys want to embarrass themselves. Unfortunately, they're getting pretty good at it.  Let's hope they get it together tonight...

9 hours ago, nickers said:

Again... It starts from KS.. Woods is GAWD awful!... something has to give... It's inertia baby!

Firing Woods right now isn't advisable at all IMO.  That said, a HC that was once an All Conference selection at DB should start to consider empowering his OC with more responsibility so that he can give his DC the type of help he's given his OC.  AGAIN, he's hired to be the HC and 2 of our units flat-lined on Sunday; so it's time for him to help oversee those 2 units better IMO.  They should not have gone into Sunday with all of the confusion the defense continued to have.  Van Pelt didn't have any problem calling the plays when the Browns beat Pittsburgh in the playoffs right? 

Re: Ward not owning a potential mistake at the podium. 

If the check against that formation isn't playing cover 2 to the weakside, there's little to no way Denzel would know about that until the Monday meeting and breakdown. 

So per his belief, which again wouldn't be corrected until next session, he was sitting in the correct assignment.  

I have a feeling if you asked Denzel that same question now his answer might be different. 

That's why I think jumping on the whole "lEaDeRsHiP" cliche is just that (at the moment)