THE BROWNS BOARD

★ official gameday thread for ★ The BROWNS vs the falcunts ★

syd

7 hours ago, jrb12711 said:

allegedly the Browns were on his list of teams to join. Could be wrong, too, but I would cast doubt a month into not being employed he's being super picky unless it's truly a ring chasing thing.

Something's gotta give though, that's for sure. I get you can't polish a turd but it's brutal to watch.

I haven't heard that and I live in Tampa and listen to a lot of sports radio here.  We could really use a man named Suh on our IDL right now - but what's the attraction for him here?

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

There are no real short term FA answers.  That's why I've turned my attention to trades and the draft.

was expecting Denver to make a offer on D'Ernest Johnson this week.. We missed on Denver's DT DJ Jones as a FA from 9'ers.. DJ's locked up in Denver 4 years.. A green dot LB'er in Denver? Not worth giving up DJ, not knowing Hunt's where about's next season 

Andrew Berry's roll over cap saving plan, I'm not a fan of (like bringing Drew Forbes back/ was a real need?).. but the Ravens keep spending it  

23 hours ago, Flugel said:

I think our Offensive Line Coach (Callahan) and his Assistant are keepers.  I also like our RB Coach Stump Mitchell too.  It's tough to evaluate our OC because Stefanski seems like that's all he wants to do is call plays and run the offense.  

Let's see what they do...

Flugel wins the coaching aftermath of the week ^^ :D 🏆

Now can we talk about ST coach Mike Priefer?  Choice of Ronnie Harrison as a gunner? Does he know to let nice punts roll to the goal-line? 🏈

edit-- RB/KR J.Ford to IR- https://www.brownszone.com/2022/10/04/rookie-jerome-ford-placed-on-ir-with-ankle-injury/

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Flugel said:

I haven't heard that and I live in Tampa and listen to a lot of sports radio here.  We could really use a man named Suh on our IDL right now - but what's the attraction for him here?

Callie Brownson?

2 hours ago, gumby73 said:

was expecting Denver to make a offer on D'Ernest Johnson this week..

They put Ford on IR today so D'E is on double deck.  (D'E made a nice ST tackle against Atl)

2 hours ago, Flugel said:

We could really use a man named Suh on our IDL right now - but what's the attraction for him here?

Well, if we would've won these two stupid games that we lost there would've been an attraction.    Now, we're a deep fall-back.  

I like Stefanski.  I've liked him right from the start.  But I haven't liked the analytical approach to 4th down.  It's too aggressive.  4th and too long.  4th and our side of the field.  4th and pass up the FG.   I mean, sure, when you're behind on the scoreboard and the clock is about to get important, then you can turn up the aggression somewhat on 4th downs.  But there's a time and a place.  Coming off the field with your heads down and no points because you put together a long, sustained drive that stalled inside the 5 yard line and didn't take the 3 points, that hurts.  And it hurts worse than if you kicked the FG and missed...because then you can blame the kicker and not the offense (so much).

My philosophy:  Early in the game, take the points that are there for you.  Don't force things until you're forced to.  

• Upvote 1

I'm still watching the All-22 and charting snaps.  I always end up writing down side questions, this has been my biggest one so far this season.

- Is it just me, or are defenses playing more 2 high even on early downs?  I could swear most of these coordinators are working with a ton more cover 4.    Found this when I went looking for statistical answers.

Rates of Cover-1 man have dropped to 19.8% [in 2022] from a four-year average of 26.5%. Schemes with multiple deep safeties have jumped, including Cover-2 zone (up to 13.8% usage in 2022 from a four-year average of 11.2%) and Quarters (up to 14.7% usage in 2022 from a four-year average of 11.4%).

Well then, that's certainly something. 

6 minutes ago, Orion said:

They put Ford on IR today so D'E is on double deck.  (D'E made a nice ST tackle against Atl)

Well, if we would've won these two stupid games that we lost there would've been an attraction.    Now, we're a deep fall-back.  

I like Stefanski.  I've liked him right from the start.  But I haven't liked the analytical approach to 4th down.  It's too aggressive.  4th and too long.  4th and our side of the field.  4th and pass up the FG.   I mean, sure, when you're behind on the scoreboard and the clock is about to get important, then you can turn up the aggression somewhat on 4th downs.  But there's a time and a place.  Coming off the field with your heads down and no points because you put together a long, sustained drive that stalled inside the 5 yard line and didn't take the 3 points, that hurts.  And it hurts worse than if you kicked the FG and missed...because then you can blame the kicker and not the offense (so much).

My philosophy:  Early in the game(s), take the points that are there for you.  Don't force things until you're forced to.  

Well said Orion!  Yes, take those points especially on the road against a team that matched up extremely well with our weaknesses on defense extremely well.  IMO, when our offense gets closer to the goal line why not QB sneak a guy that's great at it instead of the extra tenths of a second it takes to hand off to a RB sentenced to running into a crowded phone booth.  Asking a backup QB to throw the ball into a crowded end zone when you're inside 2 or 3 yard line.  Sounds like we're talking about situational football here that needs to be practiced a little bit more during the week of prep.

STs needs situational football at practice too.  It could even be something as silly as getting 11 people that are supposed to be on a specified unit.  

Defense definitely needs situational football practice beginning with pre-snap reads in tandem with down and distances (and the opponent's tendencies).  The 2 highest paid guys on our Dline are injured and won't be anywhere close to 100% if they play this week. 

You have your reasons for liking Stefanski and I'm sure you can defend them.  The thing I really wish he'd do is empower his OC to do all the duties of an OC.  Again, we won a playoff game scoring 48 points when Van Pelt was the OC that called the plays.  Adversity is here and getting Stefanski to oversee all 3 phases instead of mostly focusing on his play-calling duties would change a lot of minds for the better about him IMO.  

• Like 1

On 10/4/2022 at 1:43 PM, tiamat63 said:

Don't forget, the large part of that increase was due to the Bucks losing Vita Vea in week 10.     While Anthony Walker isn't great, he isn't so disgustingly out of position like Phillips is.   He actually has a bit of discipline and awareness in coverage.  The real problem is he's a bit undersized and lacks any real pop on ball carriers.

Phillips is a special teamer and backup.  Taki is almost a traditional SAM, and he gets pulled off the field quite a bit when we're in nickel and dime.  Might help to explain why his level of play looks good so far this year.    Either way, looking left to right, most of our defensive front 7 are highly flawed as individual players.  And none of those flaws allow that group to be better than the sum of their parts.

Not really he played a high snap count throughout the year.  

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SuhxNd99/gamelog/2021/

Listening on Sirius, Chargers announcers making fun of the Browns for running a first down with an empty backfield. Lamenting that Chubb is unstoppable and the Browns are idiots for not taking advantage of the Chargers being forced to account for Chubb.

Second line Chargers LT wiping his ass with Myles Garrett.

ShitMyPantski is the WORST coach in the NFL. FIRE THIS FUCKTARD

Listening on Sirius, Chargers announcers making fun of the Browns for running a first down with an empty backfield. Lamenting that Chubb is unstoppable and the Browns are idiots for not taking advantage of the Chargers being forced to account for Chubb.

Second line Chargers LT wiping his ass with Myles Garrett.

ShitMyPantski is the WORST coach in the NFL. FIRE THIS FUCKTARD