THE BROWNS BOARD

Roger Goodell says Browns QB Deshaun Watson following suspension terms, on track for return

Vambo

Roger Goodell says Browns QB Deshaun Watson following suspension terms, on track for return

https://www.beaconjournal.com/story/sports/pro/browns/2022/10/18/roger-goodell-says-cleveland-browns-qb-deshaun-watson-track-suspension-return/69573024007/

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said Tuesday evening that Browns quarterback Deshaun Watson remained on track to return from his 11-game suspension on Dec. 4 at Houston, despite another lawsuit being filed last week.

“Yes, he’s followed all of the terms [of the suspension]," Goodell told reporters at the NFL Owners Meetings in New York Tuesday. "As far as any additional [lawsuits], obviously we will follow all of them. If there’s new information, we will take that into consideration. But we’ll see as time goes on.”

Last Thursday evening, a licensed massage therapist under the pseudonym Jane Doe filed a lawsuit in Harris County, Texas, alleging Watson had pressured her into oral sex at The Houstonian hotel in Houston in December 2020. Watson, at the time, was still the quarterback of the Houston Texans.

On Tuesday, the woman amended her lawsuit to include her name after she was ordered to do so by Judge Rabeea Sultan Collier the previous day. She is the 25th to file a lawsuit against Watson, all over allegations of similar misconduct claims in 2020 or early 2021.

Of the 24 others, 23 were settled during the summer as he awaited his punishment from joint disciplinary officer Sue L. Robinson for NFL Personal Conduct Policy violations. A total of 26 women previously have accused Watson through the judicial system of sexual misconduct or sexual assault during massages.

Watson's 11-game suspension started at 4 p.m. Aug. 30. He had agreed to the suspension length as part of a settlement with the NFL, which appealed his original six-game suspension for personal conduct policy violations handed down by Robinson on Aug. 1.

The quarterback was acquired by the Browns on March 18 along with a 2024 sixth-round pick in exchange for first-round picks in 2022, 2023 and 2024, a 2022 third-round pick and a 2024 fourth-round pick. He was allowed to return to the facility for meetings and to receive treatment on Oct. 10.

The first time Watson will be allowed back onto the field for practice will be Nov. 14, the day after the Browns play at the Miami Dolphins. He's slated to be reinstated from the suspended list on Nov. 28, the day after their home game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Watson has not played in a regular-season game since Jan. 3, 2021, when he played in the Texans' season finale against the Tennessee Titans. He'll make his regular-season return at the same site, just wearing a different uniform.

The last time Watson played in a game of any sorts was back on Aug. 12 when he started the Browns' preseason opener at the Jacksonville Jaguars. He completed 1 of 5 passes for 7 yards in nine snaps, one of which was a play negated by a holding penalty, in three series.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Orion said:

Well, I'm thinking he's doing better in his suspension than Gordon ever did.  But, it ain't over til it's over.

We better hope so because that's a pretty big part of the salary cap he's guaranteed over a 5 year period.   The Browns also forfeited 3 consecutive years of 1st round draft picks to make that happen.  This is the Cleveland Browns so what could possibly go wrong?

• Haha 2

I don't think watson's new speeding pull over is part of his "following suspension terms". The term "self-destructive" comes to mind....I know that was back then, but what else can happen during this season?

TodayDeshaun Watson found himself in trouble in Ohio just months after he was traded to the Browns ...TMZ Sports has learned he was busted for going 97 MPH in a 70 MPH zone in June.. The Ohio State ...

11 hours ago, Flugel said:

We better hope so because that's a pretty big part of the salary cap he's guaranteed over a 5 year period.   The Browns also forfeited 3 consecutive years of 1st round draft picks to make that happen.  This is the Cleveland Browns so what could possibly go wrong?

The good news is the Browns generally fuck up their #1 choices so it isn't as if they gave up anything of value.

25 minutes ago, Ghoolie Always Ghoolie said:

The good news is the Browns generally fuck up their #1 choices so it isn't as if they gave up anything of value.

They just make everything so difficult.  All those years we had 2 first round picks and whiffed on both really sucked. It got to the point if we got 1 of them somewhat right it was almost high 5 worthy.  That said, I'll take a HOF caliber Left Tackle (Joe Thomas) even if the other 1st round pick we traded up for was destined to be Tim Tebow's backup.  

We have to go all the way back to 1978 when the Browns drafted Alabama WR Ozzie Newsome and USC LBer Clay Matthews in the 1st round.   The 80s were my golden years and those 2 became key veteran leaders on their sides of the ball. 

They're gonna have to go Jed Clampett on this next draft and strike oil by accident.   

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Flugel said:

They just make everything so difficult.  All those years we had 2 first round picks and whiffed on both really sucked. It got to the point if we got 1 of them somewhat right it was almost high 5 worthy.  That said, I'll take a HOF caliber Left Tackle (Joe Thomas) even if the other 1st round pick we traded up for was destined to be Tim Tebow's backup.  

We have to go all the way back to 1978 when the Browns drafted Alabama WR Ozzie Newsome and USC LBer Clay Matthews in the 1st round.   The 80s were my golden years and those 2 became key veteran leaders on their sides of the ball. 

They're gonna have to go Jed Clampett on this next draft and strike oil by accident.   

In my lifetime the Browns have had two successful draft picks. Jim Brown #6 in 1957, Paul Warfield #11 in 1964.

They took their teams to championships.

The Browns were no better off for having Joe. Great LT? Sure, okay, but he made no impact. His teams sucked with him and equally without him.

Mann²ing, Rogers, Namath, Payton....impact.

I want players who make an impact.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Ghoolie Always Ghoolie said:

The Browns were no better off for having Joe. Great LT? Sure, okay, but he made no impact.

But that was the whole point of drafting a LT.  No Impact...on the QB.   Yes, the team wasted Joe Thomas because he never had a QB worth protecting.  And apparently we're wasting Myles Garrett.  

You call Jim Brown one of only two good draft picks...but he didn't win us a championship.  Frank Ryan did with his 3 TD passes.  It's always been all about the QB.  And we're seeing it now with Nick Chubb who's playing every bit as well as Jim Brown was playing, but we have Brissett, a back up QB, at QB.  

You list Manning, Rogers, Namath and Payton....well, they're all QB's.  You can only have one QB.  After that you'll be drafting other positions in round 1.  And they won't have the same impact as a good/great QB...but you still need those picks to be good players.  

You always hated on Joe Thomas.  The #1 overall was Jamarcus Russell.  The next QB taken was Brady Quinn.  Who was the best pick?  The guy picked just before JT was Calvin Johnson...but his career was wasted in Detroit.  JT was the best pick we could make as we were getting QB's broken to pieces every year.  

The game is all about the QB.  But the QB needs stuff.  He needs to be on his feet long enough to throw the ball so he needs a solid OL.  And he needs capable receivers.  Our QB is on ice.  Hopefully he's the QB that he's thought to be because if not, we're still screwed.  

21 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

I don't think watson's new speeding pull over is part of his "following suspension terms". The term "self-destructive" comes to mind....I know that was back then, but what else can happen during this season?

TodayDeshaun Watson found himself in trouble in Ohio just months after he was traded to the Browns ...TMZ Sports has learned he was busted for going 97 MPH in a 70 MPH zone in June.. The Ohio State ...

Just can't stop ragging on Watson I see...  Yup, JUNE 11,  MONTHS (September 27th to be exact) before Myles lost control of his Porsche doing 60+ in a 45 zone on a wet road.  Doubtless Myles had a chat with DW about speeding after he almost got himself killed.  

It's not the first time (and it won't be the last) young guys with the money to buy high powered cars are going to drive way over the speed limit. Judge went light on DW too... $185 fine. It could have been a lot more IIRC- in Ohio more than 20 over the speed limit they can hit you with a reckless operation charge on top of that.  

16 hours ago, Ghoolie Always Ghoolie said:

In my lifetime the Browns have had two successful draft picks. Jim Brown #6 in 1957, Paul Warfield #11 in 1964.

They took their teams to championships.

The Browns were no better off for having Joe. Great LT? Sure, okay, but he made no impact. His teams sucked with him and equally without him.

Mann²ing, Rogers, Namath, Payton....impact.

I want players who make an impact.

Heck.. Newsome is in the Hall of Fame, and Matthews should be. Don't start blaming Marty for the Browns missing the Super Bowl when Elway pulls off the TD drive of the ages, or Byner gets stripped of the ball the following year. 

Remember 1980? I sure do, I was in the stands for Red Right 88- play happened right in front of me. Sam Rutigliano pulled a Stefanski having Sipe throw an ill advised pass in the direction of Ozzie, when even considering the weather, the Browns were in chip shot Cockroft field goal range. 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

But was he speeding towards, or away from the cheap and sleazy masseuse? That is the question. 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Orion said:

But that was the whole point of drafting a LT.  No Impact...on the QB.   Yes, the team wasted Joe Thomas because he never had a QB worth protecting.  And apparently we're wasting Myles Garrett.  

You call Jim Brown one of only two good draft picks...but he didn't win us a championship.  Frank Ryan did with his 3 TD passes.  It's always been all about the QB.  And we're seeing it now with Nick Chubb who's playing every bit as well as Jim Brown was playing, but we have Brissett, a back up QB, at QB.  

You list Manning, Rogers, Namath and Payton....well, they're all QB's.  You can only have one QB.  After that you'll be drafting other positions in round 1.  And they won't have the same impact as a good/great QB...but you still need those picks to be good players.  

You always hated on Joe Thomas.  The #1 overall was Jamarcus Russell.  The next QB taken was Brady Quinn.  Who was the best pick?  The guy picked just before JT was Calvin Johnson...but his career was wasted in Detroit.  JT was the best pick we could make as we were getting QB's broken to pieces every year.  

The game is all about the QB.  But the QB needs stuff.  He needs to be on his feet long enough to throw the ball so he needs a solid OL.  And he needs capable receivers.  Our QB is on ice.  Hopefully he's the QB that he's thought to be because if not, we're still screwed.  

I do have to comment on Nick... I'm old enough to have seen Jim Brown play, several times in person. I happen to agree, if you could somehow put JB in an anti-ageing machine and spit him back out at 25 years old, I seriously doubt he'd be playing much better than Chubb is today. Jim was running over defensive linemen who were little bigger than he was...  I fondly like to point out back then Dick Modelewski was playing defensive end at 230 pounds, there may be a few cornerbacks playing in today's NFL who are almost that big.  :)  PS- when Jim wasn't running over defenders, he did happen to have an outstanding line in Hickerson and Schafrath blocking in front of him.  

Regarding having a nice offensive line, we saw what happened to Baker down in Carolina when a team doesn't have one. You can say we ruined Couch, and the Texans ruined Carr having them be piñatas behind swiss cheese lines.  Getting back to the Browns, allow me to bang on Brisket. The reason why he's a career backup are becoming painfully evident. Slow in making his reads, and he's not accurate enough to be starting qb material.  It's not like the Browns haven't tried drafting a qb high- it's just that they have had an unprecedented string of bad luck. Quinn- Weeden-Johnny football. For the record, I hated all of the preceding- especially Quinn and Johnnie. Ahem, Cal can brag he was right about Josh Allen, well, allow me to puff out my chest a little.  Know who I was screaming for the Browns to draft in 2004 instead of Knievel Winslow? He was on the board too. Ben Roethlisberger- I saw plenty of his games just down the road from me at Miami of Ohio. I got 100% convinced when Ben completed an insane number of his passes in near hurricane 50mph winds one night.  

5 hours ago, hoorta said:

Heck.. Newsome is in the Hall of Fame, and Matthews should be. Don't start blaming Marty for the Browns missing the Super Bowl when Elway pulls off the TD drive of the ages, or Byner gets stripped of the ball the following year. 

Remember 1980? I sure do, I was in the stands for Red Right 88- play happened right in front of me. Sam Rutigliano pulled a Stefanski having Sipe throw an ill advised pass in the direction of Ozzie, when even considering the weather, the Browns were in chip shot Cockroft field goal range. 

THE "Drive" did not beat the Browns. The "Drive" merely sent the game into overtime.

In overtime, the Browns got the ball first.

It was Bernie and Marty who lost the game.

Go watch the NFL films replay of the game. The Broncos bench was alive and jumping with chants of "He's playing not to lose, he's playing not to lose".

The Denver D was as gassed as ours. Unlike Marty who went into pass prevention, Denver put 8 in the box, and fucking "smartest QB in the league Kosar" was too much of a pussy to call on of his "genius" play action plays and take advantage of Denver being forced into over pursuit. Instead him and loser Marty dinked and dunked right into a stacked house. Punt......Elway.....done.

The fumble? Again, caused by Marty and his lack of discipline. Had his WR not telegraphed the run, the DB would not have come stripped the ball out.

It is the same fucking thing with ShitMyPantski no discipline.

Browns players see how dysfunctional this organization is and they simply don't give a shit.

Matthews not in the HOF? Not consistent, but not a travesty either.

Seau in? Matthews out? There is a case for discontent. However, again, Seau was disciplined and made more high profile stops that Matthews did.

Matthews was undisciplined and also made a lot idiotic mistakes and penalties. That hurts him in the votes, I am sure.

I remember a MNF game, 4th qtr, the opposition driving to win. Maybe the Chargers? Matthews makes a hit, causes a fumble and recovers it. Instead of sitting on it he starts running like a banshee, and he fumbled it back to the O. Fortunately, the offense fumbled it back to us on the very same play.

In the post game interview, when questioned about why he didn't just protect the ball and let the O run out the clock. He was woo hoping and told the announcer "hey man, I'm a Lakers fan, and we play wide open."

WTF was.that about? Me? Don't see him as HOF material.