THE BROWNS BOARD

Pre-Season Football Starts December 4th against Houston

Flugel

3 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

This team continues to lack strong leadership, and despite some of the biggest fuckups to cause losses, nothing ever changes. 

A strong statement needs to be made from the top. A message needs to be sent to the whole organization that this nonsense will not be tolerated. 

it's not that i  disagree with you but we are not in the locker room so it is just speculation but from the outside it sure doe's feel that way

12 hours ago, Orion said:

We're actually a little better at it now.  The draft is a crapshoot for every team.

I would say the FO rolled snake eyes on Anthony Schwartz.

Time for someone there to admit he is a waste of a roster spot.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Ghoolie Always Ghoolie said:

The Mayfield pick for sure was crap.

Let me try to find a positive to hang my hat on.  Okay why does this feel like playing pin the tail on the donkey while drinking MD 20/20?  No luck there.

Here's a little blind squirrel finds nut. In that 2018 draft where Mayfield was drafted 1st and Saquon Barkley went 2nd, the Browns drafted RB Nick Chubb in the 2nd round at #35 overall. If you compare the yards per carry for their NFL careers, Chubb is at 5.4 ypc with 44 rushing TDs while Barkley is at 4.6 ypc with 23 rushing TDs.  The pick the Browns and the Giants both missed on was Josh Allen.  Having said that, the Giants now have the guy who developed Allen (Brian Daboll) as their Head Coach with a 6-1 record to show for it.  In the process, their previously maligned 4th year QB (Daniel Jones) is happily wondering where the majority of his critics have gone.

Before we appreciate the value of the Nick Chubb selection, the Browns also did an epic reach for OL Austin Corbett at #33 overall (1st pick of round 2) a couple slots before Chubb.  Make sense?  It shouldn't.  Anyway, Corbett is already on his 3rd of 4th team - but he did start at RG for the Super Bowl Champions in LA. It just wouldn't be the Browns without something like that.  They'd rather put Brut cologne on body odor than take a shower.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Flugel said:

Let me try to find a positive to hang my hat on.  Okay why does this feel like playing pin the tail on the donkey while drinking MD 20/20?  No luck there.

Here's a little blind squirrel finds nut. In that 2018 draft where Mayfield was drafted 1st and Saquon Barkley went 2nd, the Browns drafted RB Nick Chubb in the 2nd round at #35 overall. If you compare the yards per carry for their NFL careers, Chubb is at 5.4 ypc with 44 rushing TDs while Barkley is at 4.6 ypc with 23 rushing TDs.  The pick the Browns and the Giants both missed on was Josh Allen.  Having said that, the Giants now have the guy who developed Allen (Brian Daboll) as their Head Coach with a 6-1 record to show for it.  In the process, their previously maligned 4th year QB (Daniel Jones) is happily wondering where the majority of his critics have gone.

Before we appreciate the value of the Nick Chubb selection, the Browns also did an epic reach for OL Austin Corbett at #33 overall (1st pick of round 2) a couple slots before Chubb.  Make sense?  It shouldn't.  Anyway, Corbett is already on his 3rd of 4th team - but he did start at RG for the Super Bowl Champions in LA. It just wouldn't be the Browns without something like that.  They'd rather put Brut cologne on body odor than take a shower.

Wasn't comparing Chubb to Barkely although given a choice I would take Barkley.

One can however, improve the chances of draft success. Mayfield was as much of an obvious bad pick as Manziel was. 

Nobody in their right mind would have taken him. Carolina sure got the shit end of the deal.

3 hours ago, Ghoolie Always Ghoolie said:

One can however, improve the chances of draft success. Mayfield was as much of an obvious bad pick as Manziel was. 

Nobody in their right mind would have taken him. Carolina sure got the shit end of the deal.

Barkley is too injury prone... No thanx...

He was picked 7th.  After the Jets took Sam Darnold.  The knock on him was the school he played at and the competition he faced.  But he fit my criteria.....A big tall drink of water with a strong arm.

Not a Baker guy…but the pick was understandable.  What Josh Allen has done was/is unforeseeable.  We could have picked Rosen or Darnold and been in a lot worse shape but in that case maybe we would have had Burrow or Herbert because of it.

What is really hurting this team are some of these picks…

Grant Delpit 2

Greedy Williams 2

Anthony Schwartz 3

Jacob Phillips 3

Jordan Elliot 3

Sione Takataki 3

0 for 6!!! You need to find contributing starters in this range.  If anyone in this group is a starter next year God help us.  Maybe a new coordinator/scheme helps a couple of these guys. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Ghoolie Always Ghoolie said:

Here's the thing, the year before that in 2017 - Cleveland drafted 1st overall coming off 1-15 football and drafted Myles Garrett over (which got them an elite pass rusher).  That said, he impacted winning so much that the Browns actually got worse and lost all 16 games his rookie year. 

Patrick Mahomes or DeShaun Watson (whom the Browns are now giving up THREE 1st round draft picks to acquire well as 230 million $ worth of cap space) could have been drafted by Cleveland.  Wouldn't it have been nice to have just spent the 1st overall pick on either Watson or Mahomes back in 2017 under the rookie salary cap structure?  

The last QB Cleveland got right in the draft was way back in the 85 Supplemental Draft to get Bernie Kosar.  That sure explains a lot of the losing....

• Like 1